• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Sorcery!!! (Completed)

>> Climb down: Eat <<

The morning brought a sense of uncertainty that Aquila had become used to following her interactions with Rhain, she simply couldn't figure the assassin out. Still, she didn't feel abandoned or upset in anyway just strangely disappointed. Today she'd need to find out some more information on the Serpents, she'd killed one of the seven which left her with six to go and only one -- the Air Serpent -- that she knew the weakness of.

But she'd also need her strength, Aquila reached into her pack for her rations and took one; eating it quickly as she was eager to make some head-way. When she'd finished the sorcerer headed for the stairs she'd seen previously and glanced down at the forest below. From Rhain's words it sounded like she'd need to avoid using the Beacon, drawing attention to herself was reckless and he'd been right to call her foolish. As she wouldn't be able to cross the bridge from above, Aquila would need to climb down.

She ate one of her provisions, feeling better because of it. Then she swung over the bridge and down the stairs etched into the pillar. Her hands started burning with the effort of climbing.

After finally climbing down into the cool air of the Forest of Snatta, she had to decide on a path she wanted to follow. There were many more Serpents to kill. The path split into three, to west, to south and under the bridge and to the north.

- Go west.
- Go south.
- Go north.

>> Go north <<
Now that she was back on the soil of the earth Aquila looked around to find herself surrounded by woods. She frowned thoughtfully at the paths before her and pulled out her map to recheck her position. It took her a moment to decide on which direction to head, but ultimately she head under the bridge to the north. For her quest to be a success she needed to check every available path -- including the one behind her.

She passed under a great ruined arch and into the trees. The path wound tortuously through the forest. The air moved a little, much colder than in the plains. The smell of rotting leaves filled Aquila's nostrils. She caught a glimpse of a bright red snake through the trees. It looked like it was watching her.

- Approach the snake.
- Ignore it.

>> Approach the snake <<
Aquila pulled her cloak closer around her, noting the different temperatures now that she was under the canopy. Blue eyes glanced toward the red flash, the sight of a snake made her blink in confusion. It didn't appear to be doing anything and was instead just watching. Aquila ventured a little closer to get a better look -- something about the snake seemed strange.

As she moved toward it, the snake slipped between the trees, disappearing.

The trees around her were alive with movement as she followed the road ahead. She traced a path that might have been an old dried out river bed at some point, but served well enough for her not to wander aimlessly through the thick forest. As the morning moved on, wind begun rising. The path curved, close to the stony rise of the northern mountains. The Lake Ilklala laid on the other side, impossibly far. For a long time Analand had hoped those peaks would protect them from the Archmage. No one knew his Birdmen could fly so high, or so far.

A pile of boulders on the side of the road was topped with thick yellow moss. It smelled pungent and it was watery. It would provide sustenance, if Aquila did not mind the earthy taste.

- Gather the moss.
- Continue forward.
- Turn back.

>> Gather the moss <<
Aquila kneeled down beside the yellow moss and began to gather some for provisions. Though its smell left much to be desired she still didn't want to take any chances, especially when starvation was on the line. Better bad smelling food than no food at all, and the taste would be bearable once she was hungry enough for it.

The moss had to be eaten immediately, however. What little she had placed in her pack dissolved instantly. The remaining crumbs of the moss she ate, despite everything. It was not that bad and it provided some sort of a mockery of brunch.

The path continued through the forest, winding this way and that. The sun had reached its highest point, but Aquila was shaded from the rays by the tall trees.

Finally, after a couple of hours of walking constantly, she emerged onto a clearing by a low hill. The place was exposed and she would be an easy target for anything lurking between the trees. There was something quite artificial about the shape of the hillock, however, its side were almost perfectly smooth.

- Climb the hill.
- Look around the hill.
- Move on.

>> Look around the hill <<
The exposure of the clearing made Aquila's heart race slightly, she felt exposed in the openness but still continued forward. Curiosity sparked in blue eyes as she viewed the hill, the strange almost unnatural shape caught her interest and she began to slowly circle it. Something about the structure of the hillock was unusual, the smoothness and perfect symmetry wasn't often found in nature.

The odd thing about the hill was that it had doors on one side. Once she skirted around it she could see small wooden doors, built into the side of the hill and position slightly downwards, like a hatch. She did not hear any noise from inside the "hill", however, it seemed like it was actually someone's home.

- Knock on the doors.
- Open the doors.
- Leave the "hill".

>> Knock on the doors <<

Aquila's interest was piqued at the unusual abode, it was a strange place to live in regards to the area but also the dimensions of the home. It was important to investigate dwellings, just in case there was an individual behind the door who could help or provide information. But it still felt intrusive, and there was the small worry that anything could be a trap laid out by the Time Serpent. Aquila took a breath to steady herself, reassurances rolled over in the back of her mind as she approached one of the small wooden doors and knocked three times. "Hello?" She called out, intending her voice to be loud but instead it fell short.

"Yes?" A voice called out from inside the hill house and the doors swung open, revealing a dark hallway inside. The hallways descended a couple of steps, but Aquila could see a light glowing ahead, not that far off. There was also a female voice, muttering low, angry curses, as if mad at something.

Down the steps she entered a room with a low ceiling, well lit by candles. Seated at the table was a woman, her hair long and white, covering her face as she leaned over something on the table in the center of the room.

"Oh." She turned toward Aquila when she heard her steps. She was perhaps in her forties, by the look of her face, a couple of fine lines around her mouth and crows feet to the sides of her eyes, but despite her completely white hair, she did not have a face of an old lady. Her face was strangely familiar. It reminded Aquila of the girl under the tree she met on her first day in the Baklands.

- Greet her.
- Attack her.
- Cast a spell.
- Leave.

>> Greet her <<

For a long moment Aquila stared into the face of the woman, head tilted marginally to the side as she assessed her. The woman looked so familiar to the beautiful blonde she'd seen a few days ago, well, technically many years ago. She approached her carefully with a tentative smile curling at the corners of her lips. "Elthera?" She asked softly in the form of a greeting. It'd be embarrassing if she'd gotten the name wrong or wandered into the house of a complete stranger.

"How do you know my name?" The woman started at her for a moment. Then recognition filled her eyes. "Oh." She placed a hand over her mouth. "No, it can't be. You are... the traveller I met as a young girl." She stepped up to Aquila, reaching out to brush the sleeve of her robes, as if making sure she was real. "No. How? You haven't aged a day. I mean, I know I am holding up well for someone a couple of centuries old, but you... What sort of sorcery have you been practising?" She smiled, and at that moment it was obvious that the woman was the same blonde girl that Aquila had met before. A sorceress, though now much more experienced than when they first met.

- Ask about her sorcery.
- Ask about the Serpents.
- Ask about the Baklands.

>> Ask about her sorcery <<

Aquila couldn't help the bright, answering smile that bloomed across her features at the recognition the once-blonde woman seemed to possess for her. It was nice to know that she hadn't forgotten her after all those centuries, Aquila wondered whether she made that big of an impression. The red head raised her arms slightly as Elthera brushed her sleeves, a giggle on her lips as she shook her head slightly at her question of sorcery.

"Nothing so potent as immortality," Aquila admitted with a bashful smile, her head ducked as she attempted to explain her situation. "I was given a gift that allowed me to slip between the past and present, I'm not so powerful as that," There was a hesitance in her voice now, as she appeared to mull over Elthera's words. The fact she'd managed to come across a spell of immortality was extremely impressive, and if Aquila could learn anything from her she'd be grateful. "If you don't mind my asking... what sort of sorcery have you been practicing?"

"Wow. A spell for Time travel. I haven't met anyone except Shadrack who dabbled in that." Elthera smiled, then continued. "I have to tell you, I don't remember which one of my spells worked. I have tried so many." She chuckled, shrugging. "But, look, come here." She pulled at Aquila's sleeve, dragging her to the round table at the centre of the room. "This is my current predicament." She pointed at the crystal orb. It was the orb usually used for divination, but something was different about this one. On closer inspection Aquila saw that there was something inside of it. A small white snake.

- Ask about the Orb.
- Ask how can you help.
- Take the Orb.

>> Ask how you can help <<

Shadrack and Lorag it seemed, Aquila mused internally but took extra care in keeping her tongue behind her teeth. While it was disappointing to hear that she wouldn't be learning about Elthera's breakthrough spell for immortality, the red head wasn't expecting the woman to suddenly divulge all her secrets. She allowed the other sorcerer to lead her by the sleeve, content to follow, and was therefore dutifully presented with an orb. Aquila squinted at the object in interest, head tilted marginally to the side as she assessed the white snake inside. It was strangely cute in the way that most tiny things are.

Elthera's words registered belatedly and Aquila glanced to the woman, eyebrow quirked up in question. "Predicament?" She repeated, voice simulatenously concerned and curious. Perhaps the sweet appearance of the orb was a facade if the object in question could trouble such an established sorcerer. "Can I help in any way?" Aquila offered, almost thoughtlessly eager to prove herself as she typically was.

"This is the Sun Serpent." Elthera explained, quite shockingly. She said it in such a calm manner, like it was just an orb with some fake snow in it. "I've trapped it a day ago. It came snooping around my hut and I don't appreciate it." Her nose wrinkled most charmingly. "But, I cannot kill it. I'm not strong enough to face Archmage's servants, this is the best I could do." She glanced at Aquila. "You are obviously a sorcerer. Do you have any idea how to deal with this?"

- Say the Serpents are after you.
- Say you can kill it.
- Say you can throw it somewhere.
- Ask about other Serpents.

>> Say the Serpents are after you <<

Whatever Aquila had been expecting the sorcerer to say, it certainly wasn't that she'd managed to trap one of the Seven Serpents in a translucent orb. The red head leaned in closer, have tempted to touch the orb, as she squinted at the small snake trapped inside. Already she understood that she'd have to kill the creature but without the knowledge of its weakness Aquila found herself at a loss. Still, she straightened up and angled her body toward Elthera, in the impression that she'd given her full attention to the matter at hand.

"The Archmage sent his servants after me," Aquila admitted softly, remorse making her expression tight. "I've managed to kill one of the seven but only with the knowledge of its weakness. I'd need to gather as much information as possible before I entered into battle with the creature." She tried to find the correct wording but appeared to fall short -- while she wanted to help Elthera, Aquila didn't know how much help she'd be. Still it couldn't hurt to try and help the sorcerer.

"Then you are exactly who I need." Elthera gave her an affirmative nod. "You know what I think. Throw this in a deep lake or bury it under the ground. Let it be forgotten." She took the orb and gave it to Aquila. It was slightly warm to the touch. The Serpent inside of it hissed, but it looked rather harmless reduced to the size of a worm. "Take it. You are a traveller, you will find a way to get rid of it. Besides it gives me the shivers." She drew her arms around herself.

- Ask about the Serpents.
- Ask something else.
- Leave.

>> Ask about the Serpents <<
"Am I..?" Aquila whispered, slender fingers curled around the orb as aquamarine eyes stared down at the Serpent trapped within. It looked so harmless behind stone, though she knew the truth after having experienced the wrath of one of the Archmage's servants first hand. The red head pocketed the orb and regarded the woman before her. Unfortunately she couldn't just throw the orb away -- not without full certainty that the creature inside was dead. That left her with little but one option.

"Is there anything you could tell me about the Serpents?" Aquila asked, brows still furrowed and expression still tight, as if she'd received some awful news. "Anything to help me on my quest would be greatly appreciated."

"I hear they are prowling around. I don't like to leave my home these days, though." Elthera answered. "This one came too close."

The woman sat on the chair, combing through her white hair, watching Aquila with a smile. There was nothing more that Aquila could learn from her and she had time to explore the Forest further before dark. She was at the northernmost part and would have to travel down south.

- Continue the journey.
- Ask Elthera to spend the night.

>> Ask Elthera to spend the night <<
"Why is that?" Aquila murmured softly in quiet wonderment before she shook her head slightly. It was a silly question to ask, Elthera would have seen the rise of the Archmage and the destruction of these lands. She would know better than most just how dangerous the Baklands had become, perhaps it was safer to stay hidden inside. Blue eyes flickered over Aquila's shoulder at the world outside, it would grow dark soon and she hadn't slept in a decent bed in days. Xirin's home had been the last relatively safe place she had stayed -- and wasn't that a strange reminder of the handsome elf she had met, Aquila hoped he was doing well.

"I... do not wish to impose myself," Aquila began slowly as she turned back to Elthera with a slight wince. "But would it be possible to rest here for the night?" It was awfully presumptuous of her to ask but Aquila would have to run that risk, if only for the chance to sleep somewhere comfortable... though she certainly wasn't complaining about last night.

"Oh, okay." Elthera spoke. She was taken aback, but after she recovered she gave a soft smile. "Of course you can. Though, I don't have a second bed."

Elthera's hill house even had a bath, although it consisted of just a bucket and some cold water. Not practical or pleasant, but freshening. Aquila felt better for it when she went to sleep in her bag either way. She had eaten twice that day and was not particularly hungry, though Elthera offered her some dry biscuits and a mug of warm tea that smelled like lemons.

--

The morning came and Aquila had stretched out her journey for one more day. Being rested and vigorous was great, but the longer she spent in the Baklands, the higher a chance that the Serpents would reach Mampang and alert the Archmage of her plans. Or meet up with the Birdmen and give the message on. Her safest bet would be to find and kill all of them, however, if she wanted to proceed without tracking them down, she could.

- Continue the hunt.
- Continue toward Xamen road and Mampang.

>> Continue the hunt <<
The first few days of Aquila's journey into the Baklands had been hazardous at best, though she had definitely made some progress in her hunt. The first day had brought her the Beacon, the second ended in an encounter with the Moon Serpent -- now dead at her hands --, and the third resulted in the Sun Serpent trapped within an orb that she carried. Yet there was still much to do and Aquila felt that she had come too far to give up on the duty her King had assigned her. Instead Aquila slung her pack over her shoulder, double checked her weapons and headed for the door with a call of thanks and goodbye over her shoulder to Elthera. The sorcerer had been good to her but the hunt had to continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back