Some things people should do in a Rp

Ikamicchi

Some things people should do in a Rp.

Here are some helpful hints/ideas that some Rp-ers should be doing.

1. Always always always check your spelling! - It may seem like a no brained but many people overlook the idea or re-reading what they wrote and can easily forget or misspell a word.
  2. Always keep things fair - It may be a hard thing for some people, yea your character is amazing but be fair about it!
  3. Be respectful!!! - I can't stress how much this one people blow off! Even if someone's character doesn't seem the best in your opinion, you still must respect it.
  4. Always remember your main "R.P.S.F." - Be RESPECTFUL. Be POSITIVE. Be SAFE. And finally have FUN.

This is your local Rp-er Ikami saying, peace!

Ikamicchi said:
  1. Always always always check your spelling! - It may seem like a no brained but many people overlook the idea or re-reading what they wrote and can easily forget or misspell a word!
Only in detailed role-playing games though, as the official role-playing prefixes >>state<<:

"Detailed Roleplays are games for people who are interested in improving both their roleplaying abilities and their writing abilities.(...) as well as pay close attention to their own individual writing/grammar in their posts."

Not saying that you shouldn't check your posts, but you aren't forced to do so anywhere but in detailed role-playing games.

I think it's just a common courtesy to impart some sort of intelligible post on any role play, not just those labeled 'detailed'

I don't know how many 'simple' games I've left due to people taking advantage of a lax attitude in their posts. Simple isn't another term for lazy one liners, simple is a fun concept where you can push boundaries of what is normally required in a detailed roleplay.

One has to think of roleplays as food, detailed being a full course meal and simple being a light snack. A light snack doesn't mean potato chips, why not let it mean a snack of nuts, fruits, and meats.

Practice how you play. By ignoring the most basic of rules in your posts, you do more of a disservice to yourself than anyone else.

Stormlight said:
Only in detailed role-playing games though, as the official role-playing prefixes >>state<<:
"Detailed Roleplays are games for people who are interested in improving both their roleplaying abilities and their writing abilities.(...) as well as pay close attention to their own individual writing/grammar in their posts."

Not saying that you shouldn't check your posts, but you aren't forced to do so anywhere but in detailed role-playing games.
Oh yes I mean I wouldn't force anyone to do that and you're right, I just thought some people should just re read their work just in case c: Never hurts to check again!

Pretty sure, re-reading your work is general is a good rule. At least for us old folks. I am old, doing too many things and often forget important stuff. When I re-read my work, I often find simple mistakes.

Another thing, I really feel people should do in rp is, Do be a creative poster. By that I mean, I have been in rps where I feel the player I am interacting with keeps passing the buck. I hate being left to come up with the entire story line of what our characters are doing for 10 plus posts. Or when I am left with a, "She nodded as the woman's words and continued to wipe the bar as she had been for the last seven posts." You get the idea. Give me some sort of interaction that I can bounce off of. Another one that also ties into that, work to keep your posting around the same length. It can't always work out that way but if on average someone is posting to you four paragraphs of content and you are only giving half of one back, it can be a little frustrating.

[QUOTE="Manic Muse]Pretty sure, re-reading your work is general is a good rule. At least for us old folks. I am old, doing too many things and often forget important stuff. When I re-read my work, I often find simple mistakes.
Another thing, I really feel people should do in rp is, Do be a creative poster. By that I mean, I have been in rps where I feel the player I am interacting with keeps passing the buck. I hate being left to come up with the entire story line of what our characters are doing for 10 plus posts. Or when I am left with a, "She nodded as the woman's words and continued to wipe the bar as she had been for the last seven posts." You get the idea. Give me some sort of interaction that I can bounce off of. Another one that also ties into that, work to keep your posting around the same length. It can't always work out that way but if on average someone is posting to you four paragraphs of content and you are only giving half of one back, it can be a little frustrating.

[/QUOTE]
Regarding the second one, I have a question. In dA roleplays that I've been in, the starter bears the responsibility of creating the storyline. Everyone else responds to it but never goes too far for fear of godmodding the plot. Does that mean that others can introduce or bring up new info for the roleplay? Or do we merely respond to the situation that the GM has given us?

CoconutLeaves said:
Regarding the second one, I have a question. In dA roleplays that I've been in, the starter bears the responsibility of creating the storyline. Everyone else responds to it but never goes too far for fear of godmodding the plot. Does that mean that others can introduce or bring up new info for the roleplay? Or do we merely respond to the situation that the GM has given us?
You should offer suggestions or ideas either relevant to your character specifically or the story in general but don't implement any major changes without asking.

Ex. The plot is a quest to find a magical medallion. The main characters are people of different backgrounds and skill sets thrown together.

A good way to liven things up would be to introduce a minor obstacle - maybe a detour because of fighting in an area or a duel between two members because of philosophical differences.

A minor change to the plot that you could suggest I'd perhaps one of the members -your character - is a wanted fugitive or does something that gives the party trouble with the law.

A bad change would be leading the group into a fatal fight where half the characters are killed. Or having your character find the magical object in five posts.

Things that draw attention only to you or ruin the plot are not okay. But things that add a bit of fun to break up the monotony of - characters went from point A to B to C etc.are better.

But either way id ask first. As different GMS feel differently about input

Last edited by a moderator:
CoconutLeaves said:
Oh, I believe one could bring new twists to the story line if it was run past the GM and a mild change. That was not so much what I was referring to though. I am not suggesting that people need to do anything huge or larger than life in there posts. Simply that one would want to evolve the situation toward something.

Going back to my example, perhaps that persons character could need to go into the cellar to grab a barrel and invites the other character to join them. Or maybe they hear something in the other room and go to investigate finding Blank.

These are not major plot changes but they are things that would move the story along. Wiping a counter for seven posts as the other writer attempts to engage them in moving the story forward can get frustrating. I am not sure if my point is made or if I am rambling but there ya go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back