So You Want To Write...

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
So you want to write… is a series of tutorials I’m going to be posting. Bookmark this post to stay up to date on the newest entries. These will be focused on genres and aesthetics in roleplaying, explaining why you might use, say, vampires, and giving tips on how to do so.

Keeping with that theme, the inaugural entry is So You Want To Write A Vampire Roleplay…

• So You Want To Write A Vampire Roleplay...

What is a Vampire?

That’s a more pertinent question than you might imagine.

There are many kinds of vampire out there, and they all mean different things. But two things have always been a feature; hunger and disease.

The oldest vampires of legend weren’t physical, blood-drinking things. They were a presence, a malign spirit in a household that slowly choked the life from the people in it. Surely the vengeful or corrupted ghost of a recently dead family member, no? In context, it makes sense - in a time where we had no explanation for disease, no understanding of how it spread, the idea of an evil entity poisoning your family had pull.

Gradually, the myth evolved, the vampire developed more traits, across many cultures (I’d advise you to do some reading; lot of weird, interesting stuff in there). Vampires became physical things; risen dead, out for blood, touched by devils or old gods, given life by sheer weight of wickedness. Scapegoats, for one thing. When strange deaths and sicknesses and paranoia stalks the community - blame the vampire. And who, most often, does a vampire prey on? Family.

So, hunger, disease, wickedness, and… family. Of course, blood makes an appearance here, but that soon becomes metaphorical.

Bram Stoker formalized the myth. By no means the first step, but the definitive one. Vampires are creatures of unspeakable hungers, but darkly charming, seductive, powerful. The sexual subtext to Dracula is a bit hard to ignore, and typically patriarchal for the time. Desire, sin, disease. Vampirism as an STD and divine condemnation for wanting someone more than society thought proper, under circumstances other than society thought proper. Of course, at this point, they were far more myth than scapegoat. This is also where we start to see vampires with kewl powarz. Nosferatu would later add death by sunlight.

Hunger, sex, disease, power - with me so far? Those are themes that crop up with vampires more these days. There are two other themes, however, you don’t see so often.

Humanity is one. Vampires are outside the human condition, in many ways, but still connected. Still holding on to something from life, in many cases. This provides a position from which to explore monstrousness, self-loathing, the ideas of a good and moral life, and how much you will do sustain your existence, what you’ll take, what risks…. A relevant example, which I’ll come back to, is Vampire: The Requiem.

The other example is in videogames, mostly, especially Legacy of Kain. The theme is transcendance of humanity. Vampires are often like people, amplified - stronger, faster, more vital, more passionate, more powerful. It gets a bit Nietzchean, really - the superman is elevated because he must have the will to feed on his weaker fellows, left behind in mortality, and understand the bigger picture while maintaining the food supply that is humankind. This can be emphasized with vampires that transform as they age, and is can be used both to explore ideas of humanity, as above, or concepts of power, responsibility, sacrifice, and the idea of deep time. If you can see forever, from here…

Why use Vampires?

Good question! I’m going to assume you want the players to be vampires, right? So what are our themes, again? Hunger, sex, sin, and disease. Let’s throw in humanity, too.

So you’re using vampires because…

• This is a story about hunger. This is a story about wanting. This is a story about addiction, and what you’re willing to do to get what you want. This is a story about pettiness and violence and cruelty. This is a story about you at your worst.
    • This a story about sex and intimacy, about hunting, being hunted, about desire and the control of or abandon to that desire. This is a story about taboos. This is a story about hiding from the world and trying to live with yourself. This is a story about betrayal and paranoia and fear of everyone around you, and…
    • It ties into sin. This is a story about what you’ve done and what you’ll do next. How you’ll live with it. Whether or not it is truly wicked of you, or what the world believes to be wicked. This is about right and wrong and having no answers.
    • This is a story about sickness. About the spread of disease. About something transformative, and incomprehensible. Change is destruction. No one is who they were and the world is ending. This is a story about the consequences of getting too close, of carelessness.
    • This is a story about all these things. It is a story about suffering, and loss, and the ache inside you knowing that you will never recover what was lost. This is a story about the truth of your feelings, about how easily you’ll lie, and betray, and hurt. How easily you will do these things to yourself. It’s about you at your worst and striving to be your best and your best, in the end, isn’t quite good enough because you are a corpse pretending to live. You take lives, by the drop or the litre. For yourself. You know it, too. You could catch a sunrise whenever you want - but you don’t.

These are all applicable to RPs with vampire antagonists, but which themes are most prominent will vary based on either model.

How should I use Vampires?

Well, that depends on the story you’re telling, doesn’t it? Besides which, if I tell you how you won’t surprise me with something I never thought of. I will say that a good way to use vampires is with real, heh, stakes. Feeding isn’t so easy, death and transmission happens, holding onto humanity is hard. You lose parts of yourself, your connection to the world. If you’re going with hunger and disease most prominently, your vampires can be monstrous, losing all traces of humanity. If you want to emphasize relationships and humanity, they can be darkly alluring, more human, and you can tighten your focus on interpersonal connections, intense passions, persecution and paranoia.

Of course, maybe you just want cool powers and lots of stylish black attire from the last century. More power to you, but don’t ignore the extra oomph all this can give you, the added depth and engagement. Hell, just by emphasizing the price of the awesome powers and the way they can change your view of the world (‘To the man with the hammer, every problem is a nail.’ To the vampire with teleporting bullshit, distance is an illusion).

What’s good for vampire roleplaying?

Depends on your flavour.

Unhallowed Metropolis is good if you want antagonistic vampires.

Vampire: The Requiem 2nd Edition is fantastic for playing vampires and one of the first pages is packed with lists of influential fiction about vampires which is awesome to follow up on to feed your own ideas.

Vampire: The Masquerade billed itself as gothic-punk and tended to be superheroes with fangs. Good fun, full of good ideas.

...I legit can’t think of other vampire RPGs. Answers in the thread, folks. Educate me.

I’m also writing one but if you want to know more about that PM me or something.

This is by no means exhaustive - books can, have been, and will continue to be written on the subject, but I hope this provides you with inspiration, questions, and a starting point.

Please chime in with ideas, disagreements, spirited arguments, and feedback.

Next entry: Politics

Thanks to @Silvertongued for the format.

Megapost 1: Fantasy Roleplay - So You Want To Write... Special Edition: Fantasy

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done sir. When creating vampires I often like to use the themes of isolation and self-loathing. I mean, just how much resentment builds inside a creature once it realizes that even the glorious sunlight hates them? Could their cold immortality make them feel more wretched with each passing year?

I'm a big fan of horror in storytelling and roleplaying, and vampires can really shine there imo.

By the way, are you taking requests on future So You Want To Write... topics? If so I've got one ready for you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, go ahead. I'm sticking with cyberpunk for next week but hit me with your idea and I might do it week after (some of these are bound to take a bit longer as I hit tropes or genres I personally don't use much).

Also, if you like horror do consider watching out for my games. So difficult to get players sometimes.

Fantastic, and for my suggestion: So You Want To Write...Mysterious Overlord Antagonist.

Imo a lot of writers and roleplay GMs fail to create fresh and characterful big baddies. Simply adding the words "unknown" or "mysterious" to the setting's primary threat doesn't make the antagonist worth my interest.

Nice! You covered the themes quite well.

I'd suggest tossing in some headers or a divider to make it more obvious when the old entry ends and the new one begins, though.

reading neuromancer should be about five times larger and bolded.

As a reminder: You might consider a little blurb or perhaps a full installment in the deeper meaning to the -punk suffix, as opposed to the steam- or diesel- or nuclear- or whatnot. It is often overlooked in favor of the visual ascetics.

I'm surprised you did a setting on Cyberpunk and didn't give Eclipse Phase or Exalted: Alchemicals a passing mention. Or are they too far into the idea of Transhumanism to really fit into the themes of Cyberpunk?

Eclipse Phase is transhumanist, while Alchemicals are another beast entirely.

Grey, you are such a wealth of knowledge. I appreciate you making these tutorials, for lack of a better term. I look forward to seeing more.

Grey said:
What’s Good for Steampunk Roleplay?

AIRSHIP PIRATES. I cannot stress how good this is. So good. The most steampunk thing I’ve ever read.

Space 1889 takes some work to make into proper steampunk, but it’s good fun and quite robust.

I’d offer more, but nothing else satisfies my criteria.

Thanks for reading. Do give feedback, spirited argument, and questions. I hope this was both enjoyable and useful. Next week: Antagonists
Good for Steampunk Roleplay: Secret Societies

They pretty much top my list in terms of what I like to see in steampunk stories. The power behind the power never gets old, and it never appreciates being uncovered.

And you can keep the airship pirates (I prefer fantasy airships), give me trains. I've always felt that trains shine in steampunk settings even more than in westerns. The sounds of the locomotive, the speed, the imagery...I can't do steampunk without them.

Bone2pick said:
And you can keep the airship pirates (I prefer fantasy airships), give me trains. I've always felt that trains shine in steampunk settings even more than in westerns. The sounds of the locomotive, the speed, the imagery...I can't do steampunk without them.
Ever since reading Dreadnought, I've had a major love for trains. Downside is that you're on railroads. Not even metaphorically speaking!

I always loved trains in general, but Bacanno really sealed it for me.

Steampunk set in ostensibly-European-settings is good, but Wild West Steampunk is where it's at.

Oh, don't you guys worry - I'm going to follow this up with a thread on advanced and blended versions of the same, in an indeterminate period time. Obviously takes more research and dredging of my unreliable memory.

If an antagonist believes that all Elves must die, or that the sky will fall if the sacrifices end, or that vaccines cause autism, you can’t really argue with them.
Wow, shots fired. I'll question that another time.

On topic, antagonists are a passion of mine. I prefer to write heroic action/adventure fiction and an opposing figure for my hero/heroine is probably my favorite point of conflict. The strength of the antagonist (imo), is the actual embodiment of the protagonist's external and internal conflict. Magneto isn't just a powerful mutant that can threaten Charles Xavier with an equally amazing superpower, he also has a conflicting mutant/human ideology. And most importantly, he's also a former friend. Magneto is basically every level of conflict (physical, philosophical, and emotional) Professor X can face rolled up into one terrifying yet sympathetic being.

And when the antagonist is that complete, the reader won't be certain how the inevitable showdown will resolve. Maybe the protagonist will fully reconcile, maybe they'll simply agree to a bitter truce, or maybe they'll tragically battle to the death. The better the antagonist, the more uncertain the outcome, the more rewarding the climax.

This week I'm actually going to talk about magic, but I may double-whammy in Period Drama/Slice of Life, depending on my mood and time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back