So You Want To Write...

This has helped me learned a little more on zombies and also, gives me a better idea about the type of zombie rp I would like to participate in.

Original series, very much so. TNG... I mean, the case could be made. The tricky thing is that Space Opera is that much more an aesthetic, that much more abstract. Really, if it's a spawling space adventure with an optimistic tone, it's space opera. Star Trek would just be on the harder sci-fi end.

Space Opera just edges out Cyberpunk and Space Horror as my favorite Sci-Fi genre to write in. I love the adventure, and I love intergalactic exploration. And to be honest, cranking up the hardness in my original Sci-Fi typically leads to research paralysis. I'd rather get swept away in my character's arc than delve into heady articles on what cybernetic implants might be possible in the future.

I was also tempted to explain why I prefer Star Trek over Star Wars, but I managed to stop myself. I'll save that perspective for a more suitable thread.

Bone2pick said:
Space Opera just edges out Cyberpunk and Space Horror as my favorite Sci-Fi genre to write in. I love the adventure, and I love intergalactic exploration. And to be honest, cranking up the hardness in my original Sci-Fi typically leads to research paralysis. I'd rather get swept away in my character's arc than delve into heady articles on what cybernetic implants might be possible in the future.
I was also tempted to explain why I prefer Star Trek over Star Wars, but I managed to stop myself. I'll save that perspective for a more suitable thread.
[media]

[/media]

I have several major disagreements with your superhero update. Starting with your criticism of Superman, moving into your complaint about the classic X-Men, and finishing up with your comments about having powers and not using them. Typing all of my thoughts down would take a mountain of effort though.

If only you were close enough to have a cup of coffee with and discuss the topics properly...

Damn. Your disagreements are always enlightening. If you find yourself with the time, I'd love to hear them - I know I wasn't having a good day when I wrote parts of that one and I might well revisit it either way, but opposing perspectives are always valuable.

@Grey Btw, during your research did you manage to come across any Superman stories that you appreciated? Also, when I eventually get around to writing out my areas of contention, would you prefer I drop them here or send you a pm?

What's So Funny 'Bout Truth, Justice, and The American Way? was definitely a good one, and the animated version was decent too. And I'm going to keep reading American Alien - should be wrapping up soon. All Star Superman definitely made me smile more than I rolled my eyes. And I think his depiction in The Dark Knight Returns is honestly one of my favourites, even though it's not wholly consistent with his usual values.#

Also, I caught my typo; that very last thing was not about X-Men; I meant the penultimate bulletpoint.

EDIT: And absolutely post 'em here. It's good for people to see the discussion, maybe get involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bone2pick said:
Also, when I eventually get around to writing out my areas of contention, would you prefer I drop them here or send you a pm?
I'm not Grey, but I vote you drop them here as I'd like to see them myself. :P

Grey said:
All Star Superman definitely made me smile more than I rolled my eyes.
All Star Superman is my favorite superhero comic book of all time. I can discuss it for days. It's so chalk full of optimism, idealism, and Superman lore. And don't even get me started on the genius of how Morrison portrayed and used Lex Luthor...

This is a great guide! Thanks for linking me.

I don't know if you've read it, but Harmony by Project Itoh is an excellent example of the concept of Transhumanism. It's told from a first person POV, which I personally believe encourages readers to relate to the plight of the characters.

Always fascinating to read back on these and get a sense of the broadness (or narrowness, in some cases) of the genres. I have one in particular that I would be interested in hearing from you, Grey, especially since it seems to be a recurring theme in many of your fantastic roleplays. I'd love to see a blurb about horror. Now, granted, technically any of these could be horror in the right scenario, throw in a crazed slasher or an eldritch monster and you're good to go (please dispute this point heartily, I can sense your distaste for that statement). What I'm talking about is pure, psychological, primal terror and how you implant that in your readers/players. What makes someone shudder in fright or lose their stomach over what just happened to their character, their thoughts scatter, their mind breaks, the disfigured corpse they found looks just like themselves? How do you evoke the emotion of encroaching madness in the mind of a person that they can feel the cold inevitable fingers of insanity clutching at their very essence? And better yet, they're helpless to stop it. How do you instill a sense of inevitability, that slowly, steadily, you're losing your mind, paranoia at every peripheral vision, the man with the knife is surely waiting around the next corner?

So, obviously one of my favorite genres, I'm a sucker for psycho-thriller movies (And I'm not talking Saw or Friday The 13th either). Feel free to branch out into mental horror, body horror, whatever kind you can think of, I'm just looking for some insight on how to recreate one of my favorite genres so that my players can experience every heart-pounding, frantic, paranoid moment, and enjoy it as much as I do. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back