Other So... why do you roleplay?

How long have you been role-playing in writing format? (not counting video games or card games)

• <1 year

• 2-3 years

• 4-5 years

• 6-7 years

• 8-9 years

• 10+ years

Results are only viewable after voting.
Peacemaker .45 Peacemaker .45

(if you'll pay me i can give you a good chunk of my time and get you to your goal to the best of my ability!
editing, story progression, tips and tricks, formatting, looking up publishers, recommended reading and helpful writing websites etc. only if you want, though)

Peacemaker .45 Peacemaker .45

(if you'll pay me i can give you a good chunk of my time and get you to your goal to the best of my ability!
editing, story progression, tips and tricks, formatting, looking up publishers, recommended reading and helpful writing websites etc. only if you want, though)
Should I want to go through with that, maybe I’ll give ya a holler. Right now though, I’m still not sure about a book thingy yet. Until I decide, I’ll stick to RP’s lol

I started roleplaying when I was a kid, but not on forums. Instead, I often used to roleplay with people in online games. I didn't do it for a while, but I can't help but feel nostalgic when I think of my early roleplaying days. Now I'd like to try and find a similar experience in a different community.

I started roleplaying when I was a kid, but not on forums. Instead, I often used to roleplay with people in online games. I didn't do it for a while, but I can't help but feel nostalgic when I think of my early roleplaying days. Now I'd like to try and find a similar experience in a different community.
How are you finding RPNation so far?

It's definitely a bit strange just because it's so different than what I did before. Without any forums, responses to roleplays were sort of live-action, and I didn't even have to make a character sheet or anything like that. Right now I'm drifting around in the fantasy interest forums and posting a comment wherever I can. It already looks like I can join something, but I'm a little nervous about how I'll do.

Thanks for asking!

It's definitely a bit strange just because it's so different than what I did before. Without any forums, responses to roleplays were sort of live-action, and I didn't even have to make a character sheet or anything like that. Right now I'm drifting around in the fantasy interest forums and posting a comment wherever I can. It already looks like I can join something, but I'm a little nervous about how I'll do.

Thanks for asking!
So were the old way you did it more like chatrooms?
No Character Sheets? How did you manage, I'm curious?

Don't sweat the small details. :) everyone here is pretty nice, I think. And it's good that you are taking it pretty seriously, imo being a little nervous is appreciated. Lets us know you care :)

If you want to take a look at the ones I'm a part of already, here are some links to try:
A quest-style (choose your own adventure) rpg I'm hosting -- interest check ; main thread

Who's Your Mate Interest Check (romance, fantasy) -- you'll prolly have to make 2 characters to keep things balanced

Here's a fantasy thing that's starting up The Fantasy Land Tavern (OOC)
Fairly loose roleplaying style, lots of humor, they're trying to write a survival guide! *awesome bad guy here*

We basically used the in-game chat to establish a pre-determined setting, along with a genre like romance or supernatural. It's the same as what we do here, except instead of posting our characters before-hand, we simply jumped in with our OCs and had them interact with each other. I'm not sure how we managed to pull it off, but it worked out fine even without a character sheet.

Thank you for the links by the way. I'll definitely try to check these out :)

We basically used the in-game chat to establish a pre-determined setting, along with a genre like romance or supernatural. It's the same as what we do here, except instead of posting our characters before-hand, we simply jumped in with our OCs and had them interact with each other. I'm not sure how we managed to pull it off, but it worked out fine even without a character sheet.

Thank you for the links by the way. I'll definitely try to check these out :)
Huh... interesting. Never tried it before, but cool!

^D^^;3^

I've roleplayed on and off over the years, and I think what keeps me coming back is the collaborative aspect. I really enjoy writing on its own, and I've definitely had itches just to write in general - yet, I haven't felt compelled to write for myself in a long time. seeing other people's characters and ideas, and putting them together with my own is somehow more interesting and exciting to me. there's an element of surprise (for lack of a better word) when you write with someone else, which keeps you on your toes and forces you to be flexible and come up with new ideas as you go along. having someone waiting for a reply is also motivation for me to actually write at all - if left to my own devices I probably would just be too lazy, or get distracted by other things.

I roleplay with others to quench my thirst of storytelling and making some ideas in my head come to life. I started roleplaying through a game server through AoTTG (Attack on Titan Tribute Game) and learned how fun roleplaying could be!

o.o

I'm surprised people are still responding to this thread.

I originally started Role-playing because I hated life, technically I still hate the way the world is, but I now currently really enjoy my own personal life, so i had dropped out for a bout 6 years or so. Now my reasoning for getting back into it is to help my writing, I never stopped writing, i just stopped role playing, but now I am finding I need some outsiders to rub off on me. I need to learn more and have different experiences. My goal is to be a legit author, so I have been setting myself up for it. Going to school for an english major, on writing sites once or twice a day, write every day. Now to start up some RP's again. ^_^ I'm just nervous as all get out.

I am pleased to mention that 81 members have completed the above poll. Well done!
Are there any more that would like to put down how long you've been roleplaying?

and so many views too~ makes me giddy! :'-)

I was a much bigger online gamer when I was younger than I am now, so I was constantly exposed to it through chatrooms and forums. I always met a few people in-game who took part in all the RPing, so I gave it a go considering there was no harm in trying. I got hooked, usually investing more time in the forums writing instead of actually playing the game, and instead found sites that were dedicated to RPing instead of it being a small subcategory of that community.

Even though I've been on and off for a few years now, I use it as an outlet for when I'm feeling inspired by something and I can't quite express any of it in real life, simply because it's usually fantasy fiction or futuristic sci-fi. I can't quite say it influenced my writing ability aside from the vocabulary, but it is sort of like a diary of sorts where I have imaginative freedom with what I want to believe.

In a much faster setting, it was an escape for reality from me. I could dedicate hours writing through the life and interacting with others as if I were living a life different from my own; not like I hate my life, but through RP I can at least mentally experience scenarios that I can't grasp in reality. RPN is a bit slower, with me usually only getting in a few lengthier posts in a day, but it fits perfectly now that I don't have the time to dedicate to RP that I used to.

I was a much bigger online gamer when I was younger than I am now, so I was constantly exposed to it through chatrooms and forums. I always met a few people in-game who took part in all the RPing, so I gave it a go considering there was no harm in trying. I got hooked, usually investing more time in the forums writing instead of actually playing the game, and instead found sites that were dedicated to RPing instead of it being a small subcategory of that community.

Even though I've been on and off for a few years now, I use it as an outlet for when I'm feeling inspired by something and I can't quite express any of it in real life, simply because it's usually fantasy fiction or futuristic sci-fi. I can't quite say it influenced my writing ability aside from the vocabulary, but it is sort of like a diary of sorts where I have imaginative freedom with what I want to believe.

In a much faster setting, it was an escape for reality from me. I could dedicate hours writing through the life and interacting with others as if I were living a life different from my own; not like I hate my life, but through RP I can at least mentally experience scenarios that I can't grasp in reality. RPN is a bit slower, with me usually only getting in a few lengthier posts in a day, but it fits perfectly now that I don't have the time to dedicate to RP that I used to.
Sounds like you and RPN is a good match! :)

I found roleplaying because my friend was doing it. Now I'm not in touch with her anymore, but the community here is pretty good and helpful! I've found several different people willing to cooperate with me and work together to write a story.

I roleplay because it is an amazing thing where you can create whole universes based on only a few characters! I love how it lets me unleash my craziness and imagination on things I could never think of before. I used to video game more than I roleplay, but now I do equal.

I roleplay because it is an amazing thing where you can create whole universes based on only a few characters! I love how it lets me unleash my craziness and imagination on things I could never think of before. I used to video game more than I roleplay, but now I do equal.
Neat!

I rolepay cuz that shit is addictive. :bishiesparklesr:
=-=" Are you on drugs? Your profile pic has you coming out of a laundry... upside down. The only one I have ever seen come out of a laundry alive is ... *dramatic music plays* my former hamster, TWILIGHT!

Besides the fact that it's needlessly fun? I was always looking for another way to get into the habit of writing regularly. (Sometimes you just can't bring yourself to work on manuscripts every day -.- ) I was into tabletop DnD and after that, I kind of branched into roleplay from fanfiction writing. I was obsessed with this game called Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and specifically set out to find an RP about it. Ultimately I found it here, and even though I've been in lots of RPs over multiple sites since then, that is still my longest running one.

To be completely honest... I roleplay to procrastinate. Although I'll claim that it improves my writing abilities and it is really fun.

been role-playing since the 90s. at first I was "just goofing around" with "what if" ideas and thoughts.

then I found the "vampire" rp rooms on irc. I began on efnet. then dalnet. then undernet. then sorcerynet.

I wish I could "see" the old "gang" again so many people I miss.

so why?

BECAUSE I LOVE IT!!

been role-playing since the 90s. at first I was "just goofing around" with "what if" ideas and thoughts.

then I found the "vampire" rp rooms on irc. I began on efnet. then dalnet. then undernet. then sorcerynet.

I wish I could "see" the old "gang" again so many people I miss.

so why?

BECAUSE I LOVE IT!!
Wow. Truly inspirational!

Yo, we're almost at 100 votes! Let's see if we can get there in a week. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back