• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Skyfarers: the OOC Chat

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here

Killigrew

Magnificent Humanicorn
LinksInterest Check Skyfarers in an Era of Exploration!
Character Sheets Skyfarers: The Character Sheets
The RP Skyfarers: The Grand Adventure

Random Lore Stuff Below
Pactmaker is a large ship, very similar in size to our world's carrack, and is manned by a crew of 45. A large structure extends out the back: a glowing ring of red, Bericite, made bright with energy. Reinforced wood is carved with runes and coats the entire ship, excepting the balloon that overshadows the deck and sails that direct its path from either side. A system of pulleys connect to the ship's wheel to turn the Bericite ring and direct the ship's course. The stores were so filled with food when they first began the journey that they expected to be travelling for months!
The crew is split up into five watches, which are work-shifts -- four hours in the morning and four at night. About 7-9 sailors are on each watch, and they do upkeep on the ship by reactivating the runes and greasing or repairing equipment.
So basically the runes can be split into two categories, the mundane runes anyone can use, and the specialized runes only those of the corresponding star sign can use.
Mundane runes are for mundane things, like washing dishes or warming up food or starting a fire, but special runes are for special things, like binding someone's will to a contract or turning wood into metal.
The process of activating a rune is pretty simple. You can draw the rune (or it may be predrawn on a surface) and then you put your hand to it and vocalize the rune. The rune shines for a moment, and activates according to the command.
Deep within every city, the monolith sleeps. It floats lazily, a large, sleek black stone whose runic inscriptions perpetually shine. These are the first runes in every city, from which they derive all runic inscriptions.
In ages past, the cities hoarded their monolith and the secrets lead to mistrust, the seeds of war soon sprouting violently.
But in this present age, peace has at last settled their strife. All but Agatha join hands and knowledge to reach a greater strength. They have seen the foolishness of their ways, and now seek a greater treasure.
Surely if each city holds a monolith, and if Agatha is so unwilling to share her knowledge, there are cities out in the Big Blue that hold monoliths as well! And surely they would hold new riches the likes of which we have never seen before! And so the cities set their greatest thinkers and their greatest craftsmen to accomplish a wonderful invention, to construct a farsailing ship that need never stop and refuel. They have at last found success, and the cities have brought together a trustworthy crew to test the tides of the sky and travel farther than any man before them.

NPCs
Captain Ovid: From Hellinopolis. His whole life-savings hinges on this journey; he will not return without success. Success means both a)striking gold and b)finding a monolith. He’s got a round stomach, and thick, angry eyebrows. He keeps his face carefully shaved, his hair perfectly coiffed. (Pig)
First Mate Farshid: From Soraya. Almost too old for this. He’s here to see the world, serve his queen, and be an indulgent grandfather to the crew. He will brook no trace of rebellion though, and backs up the captain in every decision. A long beard touches his chest, and short curly hair recedes over his forehead. (Pig)
  • Dzhek (tall), Stiven (big-nosed), Iordaniya (balding): Three best mates that quarrel and make up after. Prone to drunkenness and carousing. They do not restrain themselves when it comes to women. Young, strong, and full of energy. (Ordun: Bird, Bird, and Turtle)

• Chid (dark): He tends to sit by himself, and cuts an intimidating figure. He doesn’t like attention and hates when people are afraid of him. He’ll only get involved if absolutely necessary. Slow, brooding, and very strong. (Ordun: Bird)

• Apollo (blonde): A quiet poet who sketches in a little notebook in his free hours. Soft-spoken, agile, and patient. (the only one sailor from Hellinopolis: Bird)
Serzhant Mikhail: A man of strong preferences and extravagant mustache. What he likes, he enjoys very much, and what he dislikes, he cannot abide. An honorable and battle-ready company of soldiers, especially those under his command, are one such preference. Mikhail may be an ironfisted leader, but he keeps his men in line. (Dog)
  • Oleg: the chubby and lazy barrel-maker (Dog)
  • Sasha: a short, only-knows-how-to-yell, and very muscular sailor (Dog)
  • Andrei: normie, says whatever’s on his mind, assistant to Mikhail (Dog)
  • Vaughn: realist comptroller, very precise and likes to debate. He and Andrei are perpetually in a discussion about yeast and how it works. (Dog)

• Yason: (Player Character, but a guardsman under Mikhail's command nonetheless) A guardsman on the ship, straight-laced and patriotic. Has a quick temper and little tolerance for laziness. Protective of women. (Dog)
Cast List
  • Erini Katsouli: Human, Hellinopolis. Breakage and repair is a part of the story, and it should be celebrated, not hidden (Mechanic, Turtle) Blemmigan Blemmigan
  • Yason Sokolov: Human, Ordun. A young soldier driven by patriotism and tempered by regret (Carpenter/Soldier, Dog) Killigrew Killigrew
  • Adrian Holtz: Human, Ordun->Soraya. An open advertisement to the freedom of guilds; ex-military of Ordun (Cartographer, Dog) simj26 simj26
  • Aera Aeropoulos: Human, Hellinopolis->Soraya. A minstrel that seeks to experience her first, most likely life-changing expedition. (Minstrel, Pig) Emiya Shin Emiya Shin
  • Zoi Demetriou: Human, Hellinopolis. A doctor from Hellinopolis who's looking to get out of the uptight society of scholars, and into the world to experience freedom and eliminate animosity against her star sign. (Doctor, Snake) DatDerpyCookie DatDerpyCookie
  • Jura the Vagrant: Human, Soraya. A well-traveled man, jack-of-trades and gripped by wanderlust. (Navigator, Cat) Coin Coin
  • Nasrin "Bastenobia" Diaz: Winged One, Soraya. A young Sorayan and Servant of the Queen sent to infiltrate the ship as a spy as punishment for discovering the Crown. The Great Journey is also her road to redemption. (Stowaway, Cat) Dominaiscna Dominaiscna
  • Orpheus Anthis: Human, Hellinopolis. An enthusiast of tales. Wonders on the creation of ideas. (Runic Scholar, Snake) S sharramon

Me first post be up and runnin', matey!

Last edited:
hopefully you all see this, but I took out weight and height and put in race and city of origin instead

just fyi, i aint takin no agatha witches. we aint got time for no hermit ladies!!

Time to dust off the ol' character-making form... hoo boy that's a lot of dust. I can't see. Where am I

No wait, question for characters: I'm guessing each city has a different style because of their cultures, but what kind of names do people have? Or does the first accepted character set the precedent for each city?

I have visions of everyone coming out with character names like Chyroe and D'arangito and Inraaeth and I'm here with Steve.

Such silly names.

Personally I'm going with Ghengis Carl-Sherlock Aragon Dracula Balboa Washington Poirot Skywalker Fieri IV esq.! The greatest detective-conqueror of all time! He also cooks a mean steak.

Time to dust off the ol' character-making form... hoo boy that's a lot of dust. I can't see. Where am I

No wait, question for characters: I'm guessing each city has a different style because of their cultures, but what kind of names do people have? Or does the first accepted character set the precedent for each city?

I have visions of everyone coming out with character names like Chyroe and D'arangito and Inraaeth and I'm here with Steve.
It's just Simon, really.

That's a wonderful question. Yes, there are normal naming conventions for each city.

Hellinopolis: Greek
Ordun: Russian
Soraya: Persian

I sorta just googled Ordun and Soraya kuz I knew they werent original names I came up with for sure. I definitely wanted Greek for Hellinopolis because of the scholar stuff though.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I added some Recent History and The Great Journey to the OOC. That may help to contextualize everything, ay?

garbage truck truck truck truck
You don't still happen to have my old title saved somewhere? I forgot it and n
That's a wonderful question. Yes, there are normal naming conventions for each city.

Hellinopolis: Greek
Ordun: Irish/German (let's say they speak German as a military language and Irish as an expressive language que Roma Gloria)
Soraya: Persian

I sorta just googled Ordun and Soraya kuz I knew they werent original names I came up with for sure. I definitely wanted Greek for Hellinopolis because of the scholar stuff though.
I totally thought Ordun was russian

Google told me it was an english/scottish surname, and wikipedia said it was turkish, so I guess it can be anything lol

It kind of reminds me of Verdun though, but that's french and french doesn't really give a military feeling.

I could just make em spanish/latin :P

look at how decisive i am wow

Are we waiting for you to post your character, Killi? Or can we take a stab in the dark and just post anyway?

Thanks!
Then I fell down a wiki hole of Greek naming conventions, and that was before I'd even decided on an origin for my character. So Hellinopolis it is.

...Okay I am going to post my character form now, before I sleep. Apologies in advance for any errors, or if the "intro" is too long... I'm not always this wordy, it's just opening posts that I tend to go nuts with.
Can always edit it sometime tomorrow.

Nice, Blemming! Looking forward to reading it :)

Are we waiting for you to post your character, Killi? Or can we take a stab in the dark and just post anyway?
Oh, I was going to wait for everyone else! I've been brainstorming NPCs, but I'm not sure if I'll make the character I have in mind a PC or not.

Blemmigan Blemmigan

I'm assuming youre using your gallery for the images. Unfortunately, it seems you've not changed the privacy settings of the images. They're not showing up for me.

Hey, I was wondering if star signs completely and utterly defined someone's skills. For example, if there was someone born under the Turtle, would they only be able to do well in things that involve building? Or, if they had enough training, could that person become something entirely different, like a doctor?

Hey, I was wondering if star signs completely and utterly defined someone's skills. For example, if there was someone born under the Turtle, would they only be able to do well in things that involve building? Or, if they had enough training, could that person become something entirely different, like a doctor?
Certainly the signs have flexibility. But, for example, it's just not very plausible to see someone in a position of power who isn't a pig because of how much the runes enable. It'd be like trying to win the robot competition with no electricity. It's possible like anything is possible, but it'd be ridiculously hard, even futile.
Oh, but being a doctor and a snake is possible too, but it's likely many would mistrust you because snakes aren't exactly known for being honest. So on, so forth. A sign has an impact on how society views you and what you're able to do, but doesn't force your destiny.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back