Chitchat Siblings

Risk

What are your experiences within your sibling role? Are you the eldest, middle, youngest, or only child? Would you change any of it?

Please, this isn't a thread for pointing fingers and posting things such as "blah blah oldest have it easy, youngest are always spoiled, middle children are deeply troubled blah blah blahh".

I'm the youngest of three siblings. If I could change anything about it, I would've given myself a younger sibling because I've always wanted to be able to have someone to watch over, spoil, and protect. Instead, I've run circles around my older, bigger siblings trying to keep from getting into too much trouble most of our lives. It's like a chihuahua trying to herd two hyper pitbulls. I know I'm the only one to blame there because they never asked me to. So, I wont continue to complain much about it. I just don't feel like I've had that "typical youngest sibling" role and I know I'm not the only one.

I'm the youngest in my family, with 1 older sister. I wouldn't change anything because I don't feel like I'd be a good older sibling and I'd just get frustrated looking after them. There's 3 year difference between us, good amount I think.
When we were younger we had a lot of disagrreements despite loving eachother. We have a lot of varying interests (She likes makeup and dolls and clothes and pink stuff, whereas I prefer Star Wars and animals and "boy things"). But nowadays we're very close, we message all the time and I couldn't ask for a better sister.

I'm the oldest in my family with a brother who's 7 years younger. My younger brother is honestly the sweetest kid I've ever met. The first thing he did after getting his first cellphone was text me "you're the best sister ever, I love you."

I don't think I would change it because I love being there to give him guidance when he needs it.

I'm the youngest of 6 children, but all my siblings are miles older than me. The second youngest is still 9 years older than me. I was kind of a miracle child that wasn't meant to be physically possible and yet here I am. I don't think I'd change anything, although it would be interesting to see how my relationship with my siblings would change if I was closer to them in age. However, the age different hasn't caused me to be treated like a child - it's more they're just super awesome and recognise that I'll wanna do things alone and respect those boundaries and stuff. It's pretty decent tbh.

I'm the oldest of two. I have a brother who's two and a half years younger than me. I also like to say that my dog is my baby sister, jokingly. I love my brother, but I would like a younger sister.

I'm the oldest of four, by a margin of about 3 years each. We bicker all the time and my experiences as an older brother have been a major life lesson to me. My ego and my envy consumed me when I was younger and nowadays I know I've lost any respect I might've had from my younger siblings. It's one of my deepest regrets

I have a half brother who's older than me by ten years, a step brother who's two years older, a one year younger step brother and a half sister on the way. Haven't known my steps for too long but I grew up with my eldest brother, and every day was a fight for survival. I've gotten tougher because of him. I've also gotten very good at dodging things being thrown at me.

I'm the eldest sister of two daughters. If I could change anything, it wouldn't necessarily be my role. I like being the eldest, and not because I have it easy, as some believe. I actually have a bit of pressure on me at times due to my British Bengali culture and they expect the eldest to have a hold on certain things.

All I would change is the amount of siblings I would have, my sister is four years younger than me and we do bond over certain things but I would like somebody closer to my age and somebody else who is closer to her age. My external family who are very close to us have as little as four children in each family, I like that sort of household where it can be a home with multiple bedrooms but it's still filled with a hell of a lot of people. It's one big family, I guess my external family make up for this, we meet and hang out with at least four of them everyday and they all live close by. My cousins live next door to me, my three grandmothers (one paternal and the others I call grandmothers because they are close with my family to be classed as family, might be culture again or just normal to others besides me) live across the road and another set of cousins live across the road and then down the corner of that street. We all live close by I suppose. I have other cousins, one lives ten minutes away, another lives half an hour away, others live a city away but we see eachother once a week. There's about twenty five of my cousins there.

You know after writing that in full detail, I guess I do like things how they are right now seeing as even those who live six hours away and are in a different country are close to me. :)

I'm the youngest but there is alas no position or relationship to discuss as we haven't ever met.

I'm in the middle with four siblings- older sister, older brother, younger sister, younger brother. I have one each possible type of sibling.

I guess if I'd change anything, it would be having a younger brother but that's because he literally goes out of his way to make everyone as miserable as he can. Came at me with a knife once! You know, sibling things.

I'm not close to any of them, although occasionally I enjoy spending time with my two older siblings. My older brother is also an asshole in his own way, but usually it's not intended and it ends up being funny at least.

No one in my family is actually very close though, and I don't mind it at all. With all of our current personalities and circumstances, I actively do not want any of them to try to be close with me lol. I don't think I have to worry about that though.

I am an only child and I would not change anything about it. I enjoy it enough, and don't get lonely like most think about only children. I guess I am technically the oldest, middle and youngest child too.

Last edited:
I'm in the middle.. sort of.. I have one full brother and I am a year older than he is. My mum got remarried and then we had one older brother and one younger brother which are steps, then they had a girl, ten years younger. My dad got remarried and had a boy, ten years younger. So i am one below the top, but uh.. we dont talk about him. so I'm kinda sorta the oldest. xD I enjoy it. sort of.. when I was younger it was a pain.. because I have never had my own room, and so always had my stuff ruined by younger siblings. I don't think I would change it though. I enjoyed beating the daylights out of a few people for picking on my little siblings. :)

Youngest of three, with an older brother (by four years) and older sister (by a year and a half)

If I could change anything, I would want a younger brother to look after to. I mean, I kinda got that from one of my cousin’s kids but still not the same.

Basically, I’m kind of an outlier as a kid with the sibs because while they were playing outside, I was stuck inside with books and the telly (also parents were overprotective of this clumsy dweeb)

Since we got older, I eventually grew close to them. Before, we used to wrestle a lot (and broke a couple of bed frames in the process)

Nowadays, older sis and I poke fun at bro-bro just ’cause we can. We’re pretty close with each other, to the point that all three of us share clothes all the time (mainly shirts) and bro-bro gives me gifts for my birthday ever since he got the job (to reduce my shittiness towards him, he says)

I'm an only child, thank god. I don't think I'd be able to live with siblings.

Oldest of three girls. We're all pretty well spaced out--the middle one is five years younger than me and the youngest is ten years younger. I was always the babysitter, which, if you've ever babysat siblings, you know is damn near impossible ("I don't have to listen to you! You're not Mom!"), but I was always kind of the protector, too. I always told them if anyone else picked on them to let me know and I'd drop kick em, you know, the whole "nobody's allowed to pick on my sister except me" thing. May or may not have actually started a couple of fights for them, too. >.> To be completely honest, I wouldn't change a thing. Well, maybe I should have been nicer to them growing up (as protective as I was, I did duct tape the middle one to a wall once when we were younger...), but we all get along really well since I moved out on my own. ^^'

I am the 6th kid, the youngest of the bunch of small Satan spawns my mum brought up. I had a fun time with my siblings though, at least it wasn't boring. My oldest brother is 14 years older than me and between the second youngest kid there is an 8 year old gap.

I'll tell you what, growing up with 4 brothers teaches you stuff, it really does.

I’m the second daughter of four, each with 2 years age difference. I go through all the typical second child not as good as everyone else angst, of course, but I’ve been coming into my own over the past couple years.

I wouldn’t change a thing about my situation, never considered it. My siblings and I were raised in near isolation for the first few years of our lives, and so we’ve always been closer to each other than others, and have always appreciated each other. That’s not to say I don’t sometimes want to tape my little sisters’ mouths shut, though, or comment ‘first’ on every single one of my older sister’s social media posts. It drives her nuts.

I'm the youngest of two. I have an older brother. I never felt like I was in my brother's shadow, really. It's mostly due to my view of the world and how I go about things, so I never wanted to be my brother. But sometimes people call me by his name. And we're cool. Nothing to write home about.

I'm the eldest of two, and we are two years apart. Departing from what seems to be the popular opinion here, I actually wish we had been a bit further apart in age. Having a sibling that is pretty close in age is difficult because it's like they're almost mature enough to understand and discuss certain issues with, but just not quite, and that was a very frustrating lesson to learn growing up. The fact that your age gap is somewhat minimal also means they don't respect your authority as much; my sister always seemed to act like we were the same age and therefore should have all of the same rights and privileges (my parents allowed this, too, ugh). Which, in the big picture, two years isn't that much older, but when you're growing up there is a huge difference in maturity in two years. I think it would've just been easier to have a significantly younger sibling.

As the oldest sibling I've had to take on a lot of responsibility and pressure that my younger sister did not. Because of certain issues that my family had when I was younger, I also had to grow up a lot sooner than my sister, and than I probably should've in general, and had to look out for both myself and her. I think has kind of screwed me up in that it has made me someone who naturally gets extremely anxious in situations where I have little to no control (change is very stressful for me), and I'm very self-critical. There are certain ways that I think it has shaped me for the better, though. I am much more patient than my younger sibling, I have a better work ethic, and I'm generally a more open-minded person. Honestly I wouldn't want to change places with my sister, though. I don't mean this as a dig at her, but I have generally been significantly higher-achieving in academics, athletics, the arts etc., and though my parents always held us to different standards, I do think that she has sort of grown up in my shadow and been compared to me quite a bit. I also wouldn't have wanted to be an only-child, because I do think there's a certain social aspect you miss out on growing up, not that that's bad by default or anything, I just think having a sibling has left me better adjusted for life in certain ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back