• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Shields of Humanity || Mech RP - Interest Check

It could be that they discovered a new assimilating kind of virus that mutates faster than we can study it that by the time mecha were developed to finally counter these monsters, they'd spiralled out of control already. That would also require the mecha possessing "something" that can kill these mutants that normal conventional arms do not possess hereby throwing all pretense of "realism" out of the window completely. Mecha can be good even if it's not realistic. There's a reason why 80's-90's Super Robots are so loved until today.

So rather than some sort of regenerative research, its a recently discovered virus? Or maybe the discovered virus has a trait akin to cell division, which was what brought upon the idea of regeneration. Still keeping along the lines of spiraling out of control though, but they would at least have had some pretense or motivation to study it, no?

As for defeating them, since I had tried to link the mutation to the pituitary glands, I was going to go for that being the weakness.

They don't have to exactly compete by one-upping each other. It's just meant to serve as a precedent as to why there's different models around at the same time; models which if seen through the public eye, "functions identically" to each other. The pilots when fighting do not need to outkill or outperform each other; that's just up to the observers, the designers. It doesn't even have to be explored within the RP itself.

Example I can provide is in Gundam 00. The Union Blast and the Union Flag prototypes were produced and used at the same time and since the Flag outperformed the Blast, it was selected for mass-production while the Blast was put on hold. Another example is in Iron-Blooded Orphans regarding the Grazes but works in reverse. The Schwalbe Graze was technically superior to the standard Graze but requires a really specialized pilot and was notoriously hard to mass-produce hence why it lost out to the Graze when it comes to mass production but the Schwalbe was still seen in use by some "elite" pilots.

Instead of thinking of it like countries, think of it like individual labs pitching different product ideas to a manufacturer. Also, competition in RPs is hard to pull off but sometimes, it is necessary to propel character development. It's all about how much you can disconnect yourself IC and OOC.
Either way, I don't like it, and if it's an element then I might just have to back out, sorry.
Good thing that it's not really up to me then and I won't be the GM for this anyway. If he rejects this concept then I won't push it further. I'm just giving my suggestions with regards to worldbuilding, that's all.

With the already small group of individuals interested in mech RPs, I honestly would like to keep as many people interested in this as possible haha. As much as I like the idea of the rivalry, I'm sure I can make it a much smaller factor in plot in comparison to something like finding a solution to the mutation problem. Solving the mutation would be the #1 priority in this RP hands-down, but if possible I would like to include the rivalry perhaps as a political factor on the smaller scale.

Yes. Not that they didn't study it more like, it just mutated too fast while humans were still studying it. Like for every thing unearthed back then, a specimen in the wild suddenly exhibited new behavior. Kind of like the Aragami with their assimilation and taking in the characteristics of the things they assimilate. This randomness and fast evolution led to things spiralling out of control even if the scientists managed to nab a sample earlier and diverted all their resources to studying it. Same with Godzilla in Godzilla: Resurgence (Or Shin Godzilla in Japan)

Weakness could work. Try to consider other possibilities this can be achieved though and build up from there. If say, a human in a power suit can reach it then make the monsters bigger. Something like that.

I've said my part, so take that for what you will.

As I said, that was only my suggestion. Up to Ace whether he implements it or not. Besides, the story and worldbuilding isn't even completed yet so depending on how the finished plotline turns out, this rivalry may not even be necessary. I only suggested it for the earlier beta of this RP and since it's moving away from that, this old suggestion is completely moot and pointless for now.

As I said, that was only my suggestion. Up to Ace whether he implements it or not. Besides, the story and worldbuilding isn't even completed yet so depending on how the finished plotline turns out, this rivalry may not even be necessary. I only suggested it for the earlier beta of this RP and since it's moving away from that, this old suggestion is completely moot and pointless for now.

True point, I'm sure y'all have noticed by now I get waay too engrossed in the backstory of things instead of the more important bits haha. I want to get the history done first, and probably work a bit on current events tomorrow morning.

A revamped history has been put in place, completely changing the intro! instead of them appearing from nowhere, it now has an origin story.

Current events are being written at the moment, however I may need help sharpening it a bit. Current themes I have in mind are:
- The virus only has capability to grow when inside of an organism with a pituitary gland, or any other organ that stimulates growth (ie, the prothoracic gland in insects), since it stimulates that organ to secrete more of the growth hormones
- Society on a global scale has not been largely affected by this change. Containment of the virus has limited its movement to the Hawaiian Islands, with decreased density the further away from them.

- Military efforts have been focused on ways to contain the virus rather then destroy it, hence the amount of time it has taken before reconstruction of weapons began.
- Mechs are a fairly new concept, and each nation is set on building their own to combat the virus.
- Military facilities (bases, for a lack of better words) with a prime focus on destroying the virus are located in Southern California and Japan, due to their proximity to the the islands. It would not be ideal for other nations to have facilities hosting the project on their territory, so instead a mostly worldwide alliance has been made.

More edits have been made!
- Origin story completed
- Current age added, includes mutant weaknesses, and a slight preface as to why characters will be fighting

- Minor changes also made to rules and character skeletons, to complement the change in story and make it sorta simpler
- The concept of Standard Issue units have been removed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back