• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Shields of Humanity || Mech RP - Interest Check

SentinelSevn

Professional Coffee Addict
So you're somewhat interested in this RP? Great! Below I have the general information about this RP that sorta puts this RP into perspective. The intro is actually a bit rushed, because I actually don't have very much time on a day to day basis. Because this is only an interest check, I'm sorta using this to gauge the interest of the community and whether or not this will work out.. Mech RPs don't usually last long in my personal experience, but this is something I've been craving for ages and couldn't help but finally try and put together.

• Skip to the bottom for the current events. The earlier pieces are purely an origin story for the virus.

+++++​

In 2025 the U.S. had begun to fund research on a remote Hawaiian island, a closed facility that would be within U.S. territory yet not contiguous as to provide secrecy; with the prime focus being one particular subject, regenerative ability. The discovery of a new type of virus, one that escalates the process of cell division far more rapidly than any other recorded data, was the catalyst for this research. They had expected the outcome to pioneer the medical field into a new era, with artificial organs and the rapid growth of tissue to provide new options for those in dire need. No more waitlists, and no more deaths for those who would have to wait for what seemed like forever for a possible donor to provide what they need.

But they needed lab rats, subjects to test their theories and formulas on that would provide them accurate results for their experiments. And with human testing deemed immoral, live animal testing was their next best option. Over and over, test after test, were creatures subject to the hands of the people playing God. Yet over and over, this cell was multiplying at a rate faster than they were capable of controlling; the tissue continuing to expand and grow past the normal proportions of the test subjects. It was a breakthrough in the limits of growth and development, and despite the unaccounted result that had occurred, research on this development continued until they could learn what was causing this phenomenon.

As the subjects grew, so too did the controversy between researchers. Disputes arguing against whether or not this was still considered regenerative research was one of the largest, another being whether or not these new subjects were dangerous. Thus, began the creation of a failsafe.. weapons designed to counteract and restrain the cell, if the situation arises. Construction began immediately, with many desperate for a countermeasure, should their research backfire.

+++++​

2026, and the facility's worst fears are brought to life. After a year of growth and change, the creature no longer resembled its former self. Trumping most known organisms in size, the creature had become far more powerful than the researchers could have predicted. The previously viable cages, thick with inches of steel, proved to be no match against the beast, which bore its way through its shackles and begun its rampage on the facility.

The weapon, which had been created to combat the mutant, had yet to be completed. There wasn't enough time, and efforts were for naught. The subject was too new, too powerful. Nothing stopped the subject from escaping, and wreaking havoc throughout the facility in its unrestrained anger. The release of the subject into the environment allowed the virus to spread, reaching into the bodies of a variety of species and begin the process over again in the systems of new hosts.

And again, nothing was powerful enough to stop the host from traversing the distance between the islands, and wiping out most of the northern-most islands in a span of hours. The only saving grace was that during this time, the southern islands had undergone evacuation protocols to the mainland, allowing a large majority of the population to escape from this tragedy. The islands were put under quarantine, isolated from the rest of the world. Hawaii, the first to succumb to the virus, was no longer ours..

+++++​

The year is 2031, five years since the first public appearance of what have now been deemed mutants; monstrous beings affected by the biological testings of humankind. Their arrival was sudden, and unexpected by the public. Funding on all fronts had been focused on containing and limiting the movement of the effects of the mutation to the Pacific Ocean. The pacific coasts of all countries have been walled and barred from the use of the public, and two defense facilities have been established on the shores of California and Central Japan.

Those facilities act as the headquarters of a new program, specializing in controlling the pacific region, known as Shields of Humanity. While continuing the work of the original facility and trying to find a way to harness the virus, the most prominent piece of data discovered is the known weaknesses and limits of the virus. Despite the virus's constant state of evolution and growth, researchers have traced the virus's links to some of the most basic of bodily functions, cell growth. Destruction or removal of the organ responsible for the body's growth, in most cases the pituitary gland located at the base of the brain, would halt the virus's ability to regenerate or create more tissue.

With a new solution to the problem, recreation of the original weapon plan came with a newfound sense of hope. Hope that one day, this catastrophic event would come to an end. Thus began the era of the mechs, armored suits that rival the size and strength of the mutants. The concept of the solution was controversial at first, but rose in popularity quickly with idea of the virus's annihilation. Nations across the globe were eager to put their best efforts into making the prime example of the machines, sending them directly to the Shield to take part in the world's first counteroffensive against their common enemy.

+++++​

You play as a pilot of one of these machines. Having proven yourself as an adequate pilot, you were chosen to be sent to the Shield as one of their soldiers against the virus, alongside your nation's machine.

Last edited:
When you look at it, it's really too much like Pacific Rim itself. Including most of the details like which places were attacked first, the whole Pacific border thing etc. You even got the Chile and the Philippines part down. I think you need to deviate the details a bit just so it becomes a little less--well, a little less Pacific Rim and more, Shields of Humanity.

Same as you, I've found that Mech RPs tend to die out pretty fast in my experience. Some die from a lack of any tension. Others just get too exhausting too play after a while. Some because there doesn't seem to be a clear plotline in sight. Personally, I find that pacing is a lot more important in a mecha RP than fantasy ones.

I'm interested in playing a mecha RP in general though.

When you look at it, it's really too much like Pacific Rim itself. Including most of the details like which places were attacked first, the whole Pacific border thing etc. You even got the Chile and the Philippines part down. I think you need to deviate the details a bit just so it becomes a little less--well, a little less Pacific Rim and more, Shields of Humanity.

Same as you, I've found that Mech RPs tend to die out pretty fast in my experience. Some die from a lack of any tension. Others just get too exhausting too play after a while. Some because there doesn't seem to be a clear plotline in sight. Personally, I find that pacing is a lot more important in a mecha RP than fantasy ones.

I'm interested in playing a mecha RP in general though.

You make true points haha. To be honest I wasn’t aware that Chile was one of the targets, but you’re right. Something I was going to go into depths with later was that instead of it being Pacific-central, it would involve all other tectonic plates, but again too much like Pacific Rim. Idk, any ideas you got that could possibly change this around and make it different?

I was throwing around the idea of them coming from space too, but trying to think of a scientific explanation of it all took more time than I have available. Maybe scientific mutation? There’s so many different ways to go about it.

I truly don’t have a story or plot in mind, just ideas that still need to be pieced together. I’m pretty confident that I’m capable of pacing it enough to keep people interested, but I’m still trying to throw things together for a decent plot.

Id be intreasting, if I can be minigunner.

DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA!

Also, does our nationality have to be U.S.? I want to make a German mech pilot.

Last edited:
Well first off, the mecha genre requires a LOT of suspension of disbelief in the first place so you don't have to be too scientific about everything. I mean, yeah it's gritty and all with the bare-handed action but Pacific Rim has some of the worst mecha logic I've ever seen in a while. I don't think it's too good to follow its example.

Try to define your foundations first. The whole "giant monsters vs. giant robots" is actually more reminiscent of early 80's to 90's Super Robot anime like Voltes V and Mazinger Z than it is any mecha series that tries to be a little more "realistic". In that case, there's no point in getting too hung up over whether or not it's scientific.

Next would be to lay out a plotline of sorts. Like yeah, characters will be training and fighting monsters but is that really it? Lather, rinse and repeat? What is the end goal of the RP, the end of the quest so to say? You can't just keep a mecha RP running on battles alone. (And in my experience, having one battle after another can get really exhausting)

Then how immediate is that end goal? If it is very, very dire--the RP will be a lot restricted to in terms of arcs and interactions. Everything must tie to the main goal. If it's not that immediate then yeah, maybe the players can sandbox a bit and expand into other arcs. Too lenient however and you lose tension. Just the right balance is good I think.

Regarding the mecha itself, I have my own thoughts about that but I'll save it for later. Worldbuilding and plot is more important.

Edit: You also seem to have some small competition given that another one just posted a mecha RP with the two pilot reference from Pacific Rim as well as the whole, "giant monsters vs. giant robots" precedent. Bit of a bad timing if you ask me. You'll need a unique selling point for this RP.

Last edited:
Brainstorming in cl
Well first off, the mecha genre requires a LOT of suspension of disbelief in the first place so you don't have to be too scientific about everything. I mean, yeah it's gritty and all with the bare-handed action but Pacific Rim has some of the worst mecha logic I've ever seen in a while. I don't think it's too good to follow its example.

Try to define your foundations first. The whole "giant monsters vs. giant robots" is actually more reminiscent of early 80's to 90's Super Robot anime like Voltes V and Mazinger Z than it is any mecha series that tries to be a little more "realistic". In that case, there's no point in getting too hung up over whether or not it's scientific.

Next would be to lay out a plotline of sorts. Like yeah, characters will be training and fighting monsters but is that really it? Lather, rinse and repeat? What is the end goal of the RP, the end of the quest so to say? You can't just keep a mecha RP running on battles alone. (And in my experience, having one battle after another can get really exhausting)

Then how immediate is that end goal? If it is very, very dire--the RP will be a lot restricted to in terms of arcs and interactions. Everything must tie to the main goal. If it's not that immediate then yeah, maybe the players can sandbox a bit and expand into other arcs. Too lenient however and you lose tension. Just the right balance is good I think.

Regarding the mecha itself, I have my own thoughts about that but I'll save it for later. Worldbuilding and plot is more important.

Edit: You also seem to have some small competition given that another one just posted a mecha RP with the two pilot reference from Pacific Rim as well as the whole, "giant monsters vs. giant robots" precedent. Bit of a bad timing if you ask me. You'll need a unique selling point for this RP.

Brainstorming in the middle of lectures, and I plan to rewrite the entire story in a way to deviate from the standard sense. Perhaps not the most unique of plots, but I plan to instead run with a “scientific mutation” theme instead. It isn’t as wild as Pacific Rim’s theme, and I think probably would allow for more different branches in the plot.

As for pacing, I’ll be in control of most appearances, and it will not be back to back. For the most part, the characters will be interacting outside of their machines and taking parts in events on foot. The only time the machines will be playing parts are for the more vital combat scenes, those involving threats that cannot be extinguished by other means.

You’ve honestly given me the most feedback so far and helped me so much haha. Thank you so much, its helping me try and develop my own sort of ideas rather than a complete pull from Pacific Rim. And yes, I know Pacific Rim wasn’t the originator of the concept, but I identify it more than say Voltron and other series because PR was the main inspiration for trying to write this to begin with.

Id be intreasting, if I can be minigunner.

DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA!

Also, does our nationality have to be U.S.? I want to make a German mech pilot.

I originally had planned for the US to have the only official facility to train pilots, so no. There can be other nationalities, trying to learn because their country couldn’t do so.

Changing story though, so I’d hold off for now ;D

Would be pretty boring if it’s just the US, might even back out if it’s just Us.

No haha its not limited to just the US. The only reason its in the US because the original plan was to have them graduating pilots of a US based school.

They can be of any nationality, from any area, but having attended the school. Think of it like transfer students.

But again, that was the original idea. I plan to make revisions to the entire story when I get home, so about 7-8hrs from now.

Brainstorming in cl

Brainstorming in the middle of lectures, and I plan to rewrite the entire story in a way to deviate from the standard sense. Perhaps not the most unique of plots, but I plan to instead run with a “scientific mutation” theme instead. It isn’t as wild as Pacific Rim’s theme, and I think probably would allow for more different branches in the plot.

As for pacing, I’ll be in control of most appearances, and it will not be back to back. For the most part, the characters will be interacting outside of their machines and taking parts in events on foot. The only time the machines will be playing parts are for the more vital combat scenes, those involving threats that cannot be extinguished by other means.

You’ve honestly given me the most feedback so far and helped me so much haha. Thank you so much, its helping me try and develop my own sort of ideas rather than a complete pull from Pacific Rim. And yes, I know Pacific Rim wasn’t the originator of the concept, but I identify it more than say Voltron and other series because PR was the main inspiration for trying to write this to begin with.

Haha! Well, the primary problem I have with PR is the execution and conceptualizing of it all. All the mecha in Pacific Rim were designed to be able to hold up to realistic standards and scrutiny while the kaiju can get away with pretty much everything because they're "aliens". Scientific mutation ala Godzilla or the Aragami in God Eater may actually be a better origin story for your monsters. It can also explain why they have different shapes and sizes.

Setting it in school...opens its fair share of potential problems. For one, trainees aren't normally given their own "customized mecha" and have to resort to live fire practice using standard issue training or infantry units. This isn't necessarily a bad thing (Aldnoah Zero pulled it off really well) but this is a mecha RP after all. I don't know about other players but when I come into a mecha RP, I expect to be able to "design" my own mecha myself.

A possible solution I can recommend is to take full advantage of the "different nationalities" part. Kind of like Infinite Stratos, the pilots sent by the other countries could be sent in already using their customized machines since they'll be "representing" that country after all. Like with cars, it is also possible that the school also doubles as a "testing ground" of sorts; see which models are worth mass-producing by taking note of individual specs and performance.

I'll look forward to the rework.

Haha! Well, the primary problem I have with PR is the execution and conceptualizing of it all. All the mecha in Pacific Rim were designed to be able to hold up to realistic standards and scrutiny while the kaiju can get away with pretty much everything because they're "aliens". Scientific mutation ala Godzilla or the Aragami in God Eater may actually be a better origin story for your monsters. It can also explain why they have different shapes and sizes.

Setting it in school...opens its fair share of potential problems. For one, trainees aren't normally given their own "customized mecha" and have to resort to live fire practice using standard issue training or infantry units. This isn't necessarily a bad thing (Aldnoah Zero pulled it off really well) but this is a mecha RP after all. I don't know about other players but when I come into a mecha RP, I expect to be able to "design" my own mecha myself.

A possible solution I can recommend is to take full advantage of the "different nationalities" part. Kind of like Infinite Stratos, the pilots sent by the other countries could be sent in already using their customized machines since they'll be "representing" that country after all. Like with cars, it is also possible that the school also doubles as a "testing ground" of sorts; see which models are worth mass-producing by taking note of individual specs and performance.

I'll look forward to the rework.

The closest I had thought about getting to the Aragami was a hybrid of whatever creatures and machine, but not too much thought was put into that yet.

As for what the new concept I had in mind is, it sorta drifts more towards scientific research towards making artificial organs through the use of stem cells. Testing on other organisms was a given, and something caused an excessive mutation of other flesh as well as influencing an aggressive behavior. Of course I’ll be putting more work into developing that more tomorrow, where I have an actual free day.

The story originally wasn’y going to have them start out with their mechs. Since they are just recent graduates, I was going to hold off on them having them until after the first big event or so, due to the process of creating the suits so that it would take advantage of the pilots strengths (which was basically whatever mech the player provided me).

It also wouldn’t be taking place at a school at all, I was only using it as background since they would be recent graduates and get them in a similar area.

I'd be interested in a spot; I'm sad to say that I have nothing to add to this brilliant conversation besides my interest in the thread. Carry on with your conversation!

What would be the desired "Style" of these Mechs? by that, I mean: Are they shiny and sleek looking? or are they dirtier -more realistic- looking? Do they have stylish outer-hulls?
Do they take the appearance of an upscaled human, or are they flexible on appearance?
How high would these things be? (or the average height)
How is the genetic field doing in this world? are there any neat little tricks one could potentially install into themselves? are there AIs?

The closest I had thought about getting to the Aragami was a hybrid of whatever creatures and machine, but not too much thought was put into that yet.

As for what the new concept I had in mind is, it sorta drifts more towards scientific research towards making artificial organs through the use of stem cells. Testing on other organisms was a given, and something caused an excessive mutation of other flesh as well as influencing an aggressive behavior. Of course I’ll be putting more work into developing that more tomorrow, where I have an actual free day.

The story originally wasn’y going to have them start out with their mechs. Since they are just recent graduates, I was going to hold off on them having them until after the first big event or so, due to the process of creating the suits so that it would take advantage of the pilots strengths (which was basically whatever mech the player provided me).

It also wouldn’t be taking place at a school at all, I was only using it as background since they would be recent graduates and get them in a similar area.

From a manufacturing standpoint, it doesn't make too much sense. Why spend out millions of dollars on R&D on individual mecha tailored specifically for fresh graduates when they can just churn out efficient, mass-produced models that vary in only their equipment or even better, make a general purpose machine with equal capabilities in range and melee? For one, the finished prototype will have different capabilities, controls and weaponry than training units if they're customized. Same as how you can't exactly expect to lose your sword halfway in a medieval fight and just pick up someone else's sword to use just as well as you used your old one. It won't feel right due to different balance, center of percussion and even weight. I still stand by my suggestion that the characters be aces from different countries sent in with their own respective customized machines that will compete for who gets the spot for mass-production in the "main" production plant namely; the US.

If most of the combat take place outside the mecha then it won't exactly feel like a mecha RP. How many great mecha franchises actually had their characters fight outside their mecha? All of Gundam's fights take place within the mecha. Mazinger Z always fought as a mecha. Even all of Pacific Rim's battles are inside the mecha. A mecha series often start with a battle for a reason which is to build up hype from the audience. If we start outside of the mecha, it might drag out too long and you lose momentum. The more the characters branch out away from their machines, the harder it is to logically reel them back when the main fight finally arrives say, 20 posts later.

Even if they are in standard-issue machines at first, at least they'll be in a mecha. Take too long to actually let them use the mecha they designed themselves though and you'll lose interest fast. It's similar to opening a fantasy magic RP where I submit a character with all these cool stuff only for the mod to tell me "well, they'll be training first and going on quests so they can earn these magic skills so you can't use any of them yet." It makes me ask myself; "why did I even make this mecha to begin with if I can't use it soon?" We're essentially playing with half the stuff in the character sheet missing.

What would be the desired "Style" of these Mechs? by that, I mean: Are they shiny and sleek looking? or are they dirtier -more realistic- looking? Do they have stylish outer-hulls?
Do they take the appearance of an upscaled human, or are they flexible on appearance?
How high would these things be? (or the average height)
How is the genetic field doing in this world? are there any neat little tricks one could potentially install into themselves? are there AIs?

Ideally, I would have limited it to just the upscaled human look, with more of a realistic touch instead of the flashier frames seen in something like Gundam. As for height, I may have it scaled down to 180ft, or whatever is seen as the general height of most apartment complexes instead of skyscraper-heights like in Pacific Rim, to even it out with the heights of the mutants I'm writing out rn. No AIs

But there were exceptions to the standard themes. I would imagine different nations to pull a different twist to the style of their mech, like Japan trying to pull off the look of some feudal samurai. I previously mentioned the concept of some type of hybrid, but that's a story for another day.

I like SCsay's idea of having mechs coming from multiple differnt countries, but I think that instead of competing it oughta be just the mechs are representing their country of origin in this world wide fight against the kaju, almost like xcom. Essentially being that countries contribution to the fight.

I'd honestly like that sense of unity rather then having to compete with other players, think the incentive of not having monsters destroy the world should be enough incentive.

From a manufacturing standpoint, it doesn't make too much sense. Why spend out millions of dollars on R&D on individual mecha tailored specifically for fresh graduates when they can just churn out efficient, mass-produced models that vary in only their equipment or even better, make a general purpose machine with equal capabilities in range and melee? For one, the finished prototype will have different capabilities, controls and weaponry than training units if they're customized. Same as how you can't exactly expect to lose your sword halfway in a medieval fight and just pick up someone else's sword to use just as well as you used your old one. It won't feel right due to different balance, center of percussion and even weight. I still stand by my suggestion that the characters be aces from different countries sent in with their own respective customized machines that will compete for who gets the spot for mass-production in the "main" production plant namely; the US.

If most of the combat take place outside the mecha then it won't exactly feel like a mecha RP. How many great mecha franchises actually had their characters fight outside their mecha? All of Gundam's fights take place within the mecha. Mazinger Z always fought as a mecha. Even all of Pacific Rim's battles are inside the mecha. A mecha series often start with a battle for a reason which is to build up hype from the audience. If we start outside of the mecha, it might drag out too long and you lose momentum. The more the characters branch out away from their machines, the harder it is to logically reel them back when the main fight finally arrives say, 20 posts later.

Even if they are in standard-issue machines at first, at least they'll be in a mecha. Take too long to actually let them use the mecha they designed themselves though and you'll lose interest fast. It's similar to opening a fantasy magic RP where I submit a character with all these cool stuff only for the mod to tell me "well, they'll be training first and going on quests so they can earn these magic skills so you can't use any of them yet." It makes me ask myself; "why did I even make this mecha to begin with if I can't use it soon?" We're essentially playing with half the stuff in the character sheet missing.

So instead of having mass production take place prior to the story's beginning, we would have the story take place from the very beginning of the 'mech era', for a lack of better words? Each nation sending in their own, almost like a prototype or test, and the most successful would be the one mass produced? Different twist to what I had in mind, but I do like it a lot better.

I'm actually writing out changes rn, so input like this midwriting is actually great. So far less combat outside the mech, and prioritize fighting. I'll write out what I have for the intro so far, since a lot of this information is actually viable to helping me make an intro.

I can't dig the competition thing, I still think it be better if it was like an xcom theme, where countries contribute their mech for the worldwide fight.

Here's what I have written so far since I've gotten home. Need help actually bringing the mutants into the story, since I think I have a feasible backstory for them. Far more details can be included, but I'm debating about whether or not an in-depth description should really be in an intro post, or should be compiled later into a public database.

=============================

The year is 2032, seventeen years since the first public appearance of what have now been deemed mutants; monstrous beings affected by the biological testings of humankind. Their arrival was sudden, unexpected.

In 2013, the U.S. had begun to fund research on a remote Hawaiian island, an closed facility that would be within U.S. territory yet not contiguous as to provide secrecy; with the prime focus being one particular subject, regenerative ability. They had expected the outcome to pioneer the medical field into a new era, with artificial organs and the rapid growth of tissue to provide new options for those in dire need. No more waitlists, and no more deaths for those who would have to wait for what seemed like forever for a possible donor to provide what they need.

But they needed lab rats, subjects to test their theories and formulas on that would provide them accurate results for their experiments. And with human testing deemed immoral, live animal testing was their next best option. Over and over, test after test, were creatures subject to the hands of the people playing God. And failure after failure, the experiments were tossed away along with their subjects, inadequate solutions to what had seemed like the main goal. However, were they truly failures..?

One vital miscalculation that had been overshadowed, was that tissue needs time to develop and to grow. To survive, the target organism needed more than just the cells injected for it to begin to show signs of regeneration, but an adequate amount of time for the hypothalamus, and by extension the pituitary glands, to trigger growth hormones for this unnatural necessity to grow.

improper disposal of the targets gave their bodies that time to grow, and grow they did. Not just towards vital organs, but to tissue, muscles, flesh. They weren't just growing, but they were evolving, mutating, into creatures no longer of the same species as the test subjects. The isolation of the island provided enough cover for the creatures to grow in their new environment, what had previously been rats grew to the size of large cats, fish mammothed their brethren and became equivalent to sharks; that was only the first month, there was plenty of room to grow. Unrivaled by natural fauna, these creatures continued to grow until they were far beyond the reaches of what had been the apex predators. This shift in the environmental cycle gave way to a new terror, one rivaling the human race at the top of the food chain.

2014, and accident first strikes the facility. The mutants grew dauntless in their reign of the island

I can't dig the competition thing, I still think it be better if it was like an xcom theme, where countries contribute their mech for the worldwide fight.

I'm pretty sure they will be united in the fight, however it would be more like a 'which mech trumps the other' sort of thing to see which one is the most effective. Think of it more like a rivalry instead of a competition.

Still don't like it, I pretty sure that if the U.S. would mass produce any mech it would be there own. I honestly think this rivalry would take away from my enjoyment of the fight if it was constantly in the back of my head.

I honestly think it would be cooler just to say that each country sends their best, and each country can have their strengths and weakness, and all mechs have to work together to be effective.

I'm sorry, I just hate competition in my rps, it tends to create rifits between people.

They don't have to exactly compete by one-upping each other. It's just meant to serve as a precedent as to why there's different models around at the same time; models which if seen through the public eye, "functions identically" to each other. The pilots when fighting do not need to outkill or outperform each other; that's just up to the observers, the designers. It doesn't even have to be explored within the RP itself.

Example I can provide is in Gundam 00. The Union Blast and the Union Flag prototypes were produced and used at the same time and since the Flag outperformed the Blast, it was selected for mass-production while the Blast was put on hold. Another example is in Iron-Blooded Orphans regarding the Grazes but works in reverse. The Schwalbe Graze was technically superior to the standard Graze but requires a really specialized pilot and was notoriously hard to mass-produce hence why it lost out to the Graze when it comes to mass production but the Schwalbe was still seen in use by some "elite" pilots.

Instead of thinking of it like countries, think of it like individual labs pitching different product ideas to a manufacturer. Also, competition in RPs is hard to pull off but sometimes, it is necessary to propel character development. It's all about how much you can disconnect yourself IC and OOC.

Here's what I have written so far since I've gotten home. Need help actually bringing the mutants into the story, since I think I have a feasible backstory for them. Far more details can be included, but I'm debating about whether or not an in-depth description should really be in an intro post, or should be compiled later into a public database.

=============================

The year is 2032, seventeen years since the first public appearance of what have now been deemed mutants; monstrous beings affected by the biological testings of humankind. Their arrival was sudden, unexpected.

In 2013, the U.S. had begun to fund research on a remote Hawaiian island, an closed facility that would be within U.S. territory yet not contiguous as to provide secrecy; with the prime focus being one particular subject, regenerative ability. They had expected the outcome to pioneer the medical field into a new era, with artificial organs and the rapid growth of tissue to provide new options for those in dire need. No more waitlists, and no more deaths for those who would have to wait for what seemed like forever for a possible donor to provide what they need.

But they needed lab rats, subjects to test their theories and formulas on that would provide them accurate results for their experiments. And with human testing deemed immoral, live animal testing was their next best option. Over and over, test after test, were creatures subject to the hands of the people playing God. And failure after failure, the experiments were tossed away along with their subjects, inadequate solutions to what had seemed like the main goal. However, were they truly failures..?

One vital miscalculation that had been overshadowed, was that tissue needs time to develop and to grow. To survive, the target organism needed more than just the cells injected for it to begin to show signs of regeneration, but an adequate amount of time for the hypothalamus, and by extension the pituitary glands, to trigger growth hormones for this unnatural necessity to grow.

improper disposal of the targets gave their bodies that time to grow, and grow they did. Not just towards vital organs, but to tissue, muscles, flesh. They weren't just growing, but they were evolving, mutating, into creatures no longer of the same species as the test subjects. The isolation of the island provided enough cover for the creatures to grow in their new environment, what had previously been rats grew to the size of large cats, fish mammothed their brethren and became equivalent to sharks; that was only the first month, there was plenty of room to grow. Unrivaled by natural fauna, these creatures continued to grow until they were far beyond the reaches of what had been the apex predators. This shift in the environmental cycle gave way to a new terror, one rivaling the human race at the top of the food chain.

2014, and accident first strikes the facility. The mutants grew dauntless in their reign of the island

Scientists don't just "dispose" of failed test subjects. There's a lot of factors to consider with experimenting that I'm just going to leave this here if you want to read up on the whole experimentation aspect.

It could be that they discovered a new assimilating kind of virus that mutates faster than we can study it that by the time mecha were developed to finally counter these monsters, they'd spiralled out of control already. That would also require the mecha possessing "something" that can kill these mutants that normal conventional arms do not possess hereby throwing all pretense of "realism" out of the window completely. Mecha can be good even if it's not realistic. There's a reason why 80's-90's Super Robots are so loved until today.

Good thing that it's not really up to me then and I won't be the GM for this anyway. If he rejects this concept then I won't push it further. I'm just giving my suggestions with regards to worldbuilding, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back