Experiences Sharing The Spotlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone2pick

Minority of One
As forum roleplayers we have our own frequently used terms and phrases. Some of them include: overpowered, detailed post, godmoding, flowery writing, Mary Sue, and open world. While we may disagree about their exact definitions, for the most part, we can use them with the expectation that others will understand whatever it is we're trying to communicate. You might have your own definition of overpowered, but if I use it you can likely still follow my point.

Which brings me to "sharing the spotlight." I've never used it, but I've encountered it a lot, and I've never actually understood what it means. It doesn't speak to anything I've ever felt as a player or GM. Which leads me to believe it's either rare (as I'm a veteran forum roleplayer), or there's something I do as a participant that protects me from it, or it's not actually a thing.

Question time: do you ever use the phrase "sharing the spotlight," and if so, what do you mean by it?

I have never encountered this term personally but I think I might have an idea what it means in regards to Group RPs.

In extremely large group rps (10+ or more), there is this tendency where a few players tend to dominate the action and other players are ignored or worse, treated at about the same level of importance as background NPCs.

This can be a case where the dominating players are at fault, the ignored players are at fault, or no one is at fault at all. It just tends to be something that happens in group roleplays and leads to players eventually bowing out or dropping.

EDITED FOR CLARITY

Last edited:
In extremely large group rps (10+ or more), there is this tendency where a few players tend to dominate the action and other players are ignored or worse, treated at about the same level of importance as background NPCs.

Since I've never experienced a feeling of unimportance in any roleplay it leads me to suspect this is the fault of the "neglected" players. The way I formulate my posts ensures my characters' actions are significant. I always include emotional stakes, which never fails to make me care, which never fails to make me feel important. In short, as long as I have room to write, I'll always have an amazing story to tell.

Since I've never experienced a feeling of unimportance in any roleplay it leads me to suspect this is the fault of the "neglected" players. The way I formulate my posts ensures my characters' actions are significant. I always include emotional stakes, which never fails to make me care, which never fails to make me feel important. In short, as long as I have room to write, I'll always have an amazing story to tell.

It can be for sure. Some players just don't work to make themselves more involved in the story and try to make the story come to them. It can also work out, however, that one player or one small group of players decides to be The Protagonist TM and his Merry Men and take charge of everything.

This can be a GM who writes because they want players to fill in "their story" or a player who just works very hard at wanting to be the plotter-in-chief.

It can also work out, however, that one player or one small group of players decides to be The Protagonist TM and his Merry Men and take charge of everything.

Assuming you're correct, I'll likely experience this problem if I participate in enough roleplays. Yet I can't imagine it. Maybe because I've never allowed a player or players to "take charge" of my character. If there's conflict, and I'm given space to write, I throw my character into it.

Sharing the Spotlight means that there isn't a Main Character, but everyone participating has equal importance. What Whisker Whisker described sounds like "Hogging the Spotlight".

Sharing the Spotlight means that there isn't a Main Character, but everyone participating has equal importance. What Whisker Whisker described sounds like "Hogging the Spotlight".

That could be it. Like I said, it isn't a term I am familiar with either. It just sounds like something I hear complained about in OOCs from time to time in Group RPs.

Thanks for the correction.

Usually when I use that expression, I use it in the negative, as in "You're not sharing the spotlight" or "this character is too skilled/powerful, they won't ever share the spotlight".

See in certain groups, making something important to the plot or having your character's background truly brought to the forefront as an important element of the narrative not just to you and your own character, it's simply not possible to do it for everyone at once. Plus, to make sure nobody feels pointless and useless roles or tasks may often have to be distributed.

Take a large superhero roleplay. Not everyone can be beating the main villain or rescuing...however needs rescuing. Some people will be trying to minimize the damage, others will be fighting the mobs, and while these aren't insignificant roles, it's understandable why many might feel like they are being made second-place to the rest of the group when that happens. "Sharing the spotlight" therefore, would imply limiting your character or specializing your character in such a way that it allows for others to have their time in the spotlight, complementing your weaknesses, and you having yours, playing on your strengths. Nobody should be great at everything all the time, and better defined the roles are (by the players themselves, pre-made roles are a whole other can of worms), the more likely it is that the GM can find ways to give everyone their chance to shine.

What exactly do you mean by main character? It's incredibly common for rps to be structured where the GM or another player is the leader - in many cases they're even the most powerful. But that condition is usually explained before it's ever launched and players typically participate without complaint.

What exactly do you mean by main character? It's incredibly common for rps to be structured where the GM or another player is the leader - in many cases they're even the most powerful. But that condition is usually explained before it's ever launched and players typically participate without complaint.
Well Idea Idea elaborated on it better, but in a nutshell, there isn't one single person doing absolutely everything and everyone is getting a chance to shine.

Take a large superhero roleplay. Not everyone can be beating the main villain or rescuing...however needs rescuing. Some people will be trying to minimize the damage, others will be fighting the mobs, and while these aren't insignificant roles, it's understandable why many might feel like they are being made second-place to the rest of the group when that happens.

No, whatever I'm writing takes second place to no one. If I'm protecting the crowd, my scene will be heroic. If I'm dispatching the underlings, my struggle will make your heart pound. That's my fundelmental disagreement with the concept.

Well Idea Idea elaborated on it better, but in a nutshell, there isn't one single person doing absolutely everything and everyone is getting a chance to shine.

I've never participated in a roleplay where one player does everything. I guess I don't understand what would keep my character from getting things done?

No, whatever I'm writing takes second place to no one. If I'm protecting the crowd, my scene will be heroic. If I'm dispatching the underlings, my struggle will make your heart pound. That's my fundelmental disagreement with the concept.
1. Nobody is saying your or anyone else's writing would be worse because of "not getting the spotlight". Nothing of that kind was in any way, shape or form implied.
2. Keep in mind, that, just because you don't believe in a certain concept, that doesn't mean the expression for it, or it's relevance within a community that exists outside of you, are in any way diminuished or less valid. Sure, you may not personally experience the sensation that when everyone else gets to do everything that is plot-relevant/important and you don't you are being treated as if being second-place, but a lot of people do.

I've never participated in a roleplay where one player does everything. I guess I don't understand what would keep my character from getting things done?
Someone else doing it before you can. Someone having the perfect solution to every problem that may be marginally worse than yours, but still ultimately prevents your specialized character from acting. Or if everyone has more wide-spread skills, then it may just be that someone happens to post faster and always hog the glory.

2. Keep in mind, that, just because you don't believe in a certain concept, that doesn't mean the expression for it, or it's relevance within a community that exists outside of you, are in any way diminuished or less valid. Sure, you may not personally experience the sensation that when everyone else gets to do everything that is plot-relevant/important and you don't you are being treated as if being second-place, but a lot of people do.

First, I never fail to help move the plot forward with my characters. And second, if I'm right, then it would invalidate the concept that hogging the spotlight is the fault of the GM or "important" players, and shift the onus back to those who feel insignificant.

Someone else doing it before you can. Someone having the perfect solution to every problem that may be marginally worse than yours, but still ultimately prevents your specialized character from acting. Or if everyone has more wide-spread skills, then it may just be that someone happens to post faster and always hog the glory.

Whatever part of the conflict they tackle I'll simply move my character to another part. They can't beat me to it, because they can't be everywhere at once. And honestly, no one tries to take on everything. Let's be practical about this.

So hogging the spotlight to you is basically just overpowered? Because from how I've seen it used, it's often implied that some players simply "feel" left behind.

First, I never fail to help move the plot forward with my characters. And second, if I'm right, then it would invalidate the concept that hogging the spotlight is the fault of the GM or "important" players, and shift the onus back to those who feel insignificant.
Keep in mind I'm referring to THE plot. Not your personal character arcs.

Whatever part of the conflict they tackle I'll simply move my character to another part. They can't beat me to it, because they can't be everywhere at once. And honestly, no one tries to take on everything. Let's be practical about this.

So hogging the spotlight to you is basically just overpowered? Because from how I've seen it used, it's often implied that some players simply "feel" left behind.
How can you move your character to another part when there ISN'T one? "the spotlight" is something that only applies when there is limited room, obviously. You can always do other things, yes, but in the end of the day the main plot is not likely to be moved by random loose cogs.

Idea Idea Are you just refusing to answer direct questions now?
No, I'm adressing topics by the order in which I believe the conversation can make progress (or prove to be unable to if that's the case). In your previous two comments I realized that you are clearly defining "plot" and a character's agency as completely different things from what everyone else in this topic is. Naturally, we can't progress a conversation if it is not clarified under what restrictions and definitions the concepts are even being discussed under.

To give a concrete example, you suggest that you can, as a player, just make new plot-relevant moments by yourself. This very thought assumes a nature of plot different from anything anyone here was referring to except for yourself, as to my understanding at least all three commenters were referring to plot as the overarching story constructed through the roleplay.

How can you move your character to another part when there ISN'T one?

How small of world do you normally roleplay in? If there's a hostage crisis at a bank, I'll focus on the opponents, or saving the hostages, or grabbing the getaway driver, or investigate the crime scene, etc. If I have room to write, I have room to matter.

How small of world do you normally roleplay in? If there's a hostage crisis at a bank, I'll focus on the opponents, or saving the hostages, or grabbing the getaway driver, or investigate the crime scene, etc. If I have room to write, I have room to matter.
But not all of those things have equal relevance to the plot, or at least they normally don't.

To give a concrete example, you suggest that you can, as a player, just make new plot-relevant moments by yourself. This very thought assumes a nature of plot different from anything anyone here was referring to except for yourself, as to my understanding at least all three commenters were referring to plot as the overarching story constructed through the roleplay.

Plot-relevant moments are infinite. It's not checkers, it's imagination. If we're in a important battle there are infinite ways I can make my character relevant.

But not all of those things have equal relevance to the plot, or at least they normally don't.

Says who?

Edit: I've got to go work out and then put my kids to bed. I'll check back later to pushback against whatever you reply with. ;)

Last edited:
Plot-relevant moments are infinite. It's not checkers, it's imagination. If we're in a important battle there are infinite ways I can make my character relevant.

I still think you're utterly butchering the notion of plot and relevance, but for the sake of argument, do give me an example then. Perhaps that will help me see into your perspective better.

Says who?
The fact that not that all of those things can affect the plot in the same way or are as close to the center of the plot's topic/themes/cause/main focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back