Shadowrun RP

WanderingJester

Cool shuppy waddling away from explosions
races-e1383697053295.jpg

Well, here's just a WIP/chat place for anyone who might be interested in a Shadowrun RP.  Essentially it's a near future fantasy (some call it cyberpunk), where magic and technology mix in a world where the countries of today don't exist anymore, and mega corporations controls the world.  Here's their PnP RP wikia:

shadowrun.wikia.com

Here's the tags: @Bone2pick @Stormyface

So, I have a beginning of beginning.  Think of a sketch of a start for an RP (with no middle or end in sight though).  Essentially the original setting would be New York (the five boroughs plus Long Island) during the Megacorporate Revisions in 2077.  The RPer's PCs were hired on to a Shadowrun crew (either as SRers or otherwise) to break in and do a assassination sweep of a secure corporate facility.  Unfortunately, it was a shotty attempt to take out the Manhattan Inc.  The Consortium of corp heads that control Manhattan.  Needless to say, this puts every one of the RPers in a neck deep crap hole with a high fiber bull squatting over them.  By the time they managed to get out of that terrible situation, their leader is dead, and so is the fixer, so there's no trace of who hired them or what.  Thus the story begins.

Here's the problem, or rather several.  One is that I have no idea how much restrictions there should be in regards to transferring PnP qualities over to written RP.  I don't want to be so strict but I also want the realism of needing to keep trace of cash and having limited resources to survive in the rough world, let alone one where several of the most powerful forces in the local region wants the RPers dead.  I also don't want the hassle of having to keep trace of resources allocated to who, let alone talents and stats (so there's a problem with combat there as well).  Also I really don't have the time or energy to GM this (alone), so there's that, but I feel like having this here if only to chat it up would be nice, just between fans of the world and genre.  

P.S. I actually found out the place I actually grew up irl turned into a luxury AAA Enclave where officers have their expensive estates in this world.  Funny. xD  

First off, I'd have to suggest keeping the turn-based combat system. A free-for all can get... messy.

Yeah, though the calculation of all the stats that's involved with the turn base system would make things... tedious, for the GMs at least -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as your plot is concerned it sounds like a fairly typical beginning (initial run goes to Hell) for a team of shadowruners.  I could go for it, but I can also think of more interesting campaigns.

As far as how much (if any) crunch you should implement, I'm admittedly biased.  I prefer freeform—I loved the Shadowrun novels and merely settled for the RPG—but I imagine most of your potential players would want a dice mechanic.  

As far as your plot is concerned it sounds like a fairly typical beginning (initial run goes to Hell) for a team of shadowruners.  I could go for it, but I can also think of more interesting campaigns.

As far as how much (if any) crunch you should implement, I'm admittedly biased.  I prefer freeform—I loved the Shadowrun novels and merely settled for the RPG—but I imagine most of your potential players would want a dice mechanic.  

Feel free to share :)  I've been more inspired by the game, and personally bias towards certain late aspects of the world by that timeline so wanted to exclude some things, but please do :D

Fair enough, a dice system would make things easier, though a number of stats would still need to be recorded (not to mention the lack of on site dice system on the site makes it more of an honor based system than anything).

If you prefer the later timeline Shadowrun then I don't have anything for you, because I've been out of the loop awhile.  But if you're open to earlier timeline stuff then I can pitch an idea or two.

If you prefer later timeline Shadowrun then I don't have anything for you, because I've been out of the loop awhile.  But if you're open to earlier timeline stuff then I can pitch an idea or two.

Oh okay.  I would hear out your ideas anyway if you want to share them, but I would prefer the up to date timeline.  It's more interesting when people don't know the future events of what will happen and less chance of conflicting canon with large events that way :/  

For me 'more interesting' is simply the better story.  Anyway, if it were my shadowrun RP, there's no doubt what campaign I'd go with: Chicago, Bug City.  It has it all—corporate intrigue, government (UCAS) crackdown, taboo magic, underground culture, and hives of giant insects swarming across a city sprawl...

2055 Chicago chummers, it's where all the cool kids were.

For me more interesting is simply the better story.  Anyway, if it were my shadowrun RP, there's no doubt what campaign I'd go with: Chicago, Bug City.  It has it all—corporate intrigue, government (UCAS) crackdown, taboo magic, underground culture, and hives of giant insects swarming across a city sprawl...

2055 Chicago chummers, it's where all the cool kids were.

Haha, yeah I understand.  The insect shaman angle is great.  I wanted to touch on a city that had a lot of details but not really alluded to in the games.  New York was a great example of that.  Honestly I probably wouldn't mind going with Quebec either, but yeah, the 2055 were the years xD

Then again, I wouldn't exist yet, as a technomancer lol.  They started showing up around 2070 :)  

Oh man, you're way too new school.  Cyberdecks and datajacks are how real matrix wizards get drek done!    B|

Haha, yeah well, I do hold a certain respect for the fairlight excalibur ^_^  Still, can't help being a technomancer.  Not like it's a skill my character picked up.

Shooting a moving target anywhere on their visible body from within 150 meters?  That's a skill. xD  

The Renraku arcology shutdown is another possible epic shadow run campaign.  But again, it's an early timeline story.

The Renraku arcology shutdown is another possible epic shadow run campaign.  But again, it's an early timeline story.

Oh yea, I would say even playing out the fallout from the Matrix Crash 2.0 would be amazing, though really limiting for people who want to be deckers.  Another part of me just wants to make our own large event to be a part of you know?  Hence the setting at the latest year of the timeline :|  

Another part of me just wants to make our own large event to be a part of you know?  Hence the setting at the latest year of the timeline :|  

Boo! *hiss* 

JK.  ;)  You certainly could scratch that itch, I'm just saying I wouldn't if it were me. For me, the opportunity to create a character and weave them through a special part of shadowrun's timeline would be the most satisfying adventure.  The ultimate romp through one of my favorite fantasy settings.  But that's just how I'm wired.  

Boo! *hiss* 

JK.  ;)  You certainly could scratch that itch, I'm just saying I wouldn't if it were me. For me, the opportunity to create a character and weave them through a special part of shadowrun's timeline would be the most satisfying adventure.  The ultimate romp through one of my favorite fantasy settings.  But that's just how I'm wired.  

lol xD  that's fair ^_^  

I can't blame ya.  There's some crazy and interesting events from 2000 to 2077 that's really all worth exploring ^_^  

Perhaps instead of beginning the game in the middle of a conspiracy, we slowly work our way up to higher paying jobs, and then the conspiracy (hinted at along the way) is brought down upon us in full force.

I'll just be over here working on my hacker.

Perhaps instead of beginning the game in the middle of a conspiracy, we slowly work our way up to higher paying jobs, and then the conspiracy (hinted at along the way) is brought down upon us in full force.

I'll just be over here working on my hacker.

Ah you see, we need some sort of unifying factor for all the RPers' PCs.  I think we can possibly start with them being a team already, but I really want to let the RPers have the maximal amount of freedom in at least formulating their back story.  I sort of pictured it how Dragonfall went down, where they're still starting off with the smaller jobs and working up to face whatever's trying to kill them, but you know, there's still someone trying to kill all of them so they can't just bolt (and live).

Lol, your character would likely be familiar (in name at least) with mine then xD  Famous Technomancer and all ^_^  

Fame has to be earned chummer.  The way I see it is we'd all be up and comers.

He can be famous if he wants to. Thing is, fame isn't necessarily a good thing for runners. Especially a hacker. Fame is just as good as a SIN when it comes to finding someone. I'd rather be nobody rolling in the dough than B1nary looking through his door's peephole and seeing the entirety of Knight Errant outside my house.

Unless you're from L.A. Releasing albums and movies is the norm there for runners, from what I hear.

Thing is, fame isn't necessarily a good thing for runners.

Yes I understand that.  It's dangerous to be well known for doing dirty work.  But if I were the GM, fame and reputation would have to be earned (or avoided) during the course of the roleplay.

October 17: A verdict is reached in the years-long court proceedings of Texas Instruments Corporation v. Miroyama Electric in favor of TI. The Japanese courts order Miroyama's assets turned over to TI, revitalizing that company. Miroyama's executives commit seppuku to spare their subordinates from dishonor.

Reading the Shadowrun timeline, what even is this. A calculator company made people commit seppuku.

Well, here's just a WIP/chat place for anyone who might be interested in a Shadowrun RP.  Essentially it's a near future fantasy (some call it cyberpunk), where magic and technology mix in a world where the countries of today don't exist anymore, and mega corporations controls the world.  Here's their PnP RP wikia:

shadowrun.wikia.com

Here's the tags: @Bone2pick @Stormyface

So, I have a beginning of beginning.  Think of a sketch of a start for an RP (with no middle or end in sight though).  Essentially the original setting would be New York (the five boroughs plus Long Island) during the Megacorporate Revisions in 2077.  The RPer's PCs were hired on to a Shadowrun crew (either as SRers or otherwise) to break in and do a assassination sweep of a secure corporate facility.  Unfortunately, it was a shotty attempt to take out the Manhattan Inc.  The Consortium of corp heads that control Manhattan.  Needless to say, this puts every one of the RPers in a neck deep crap hole with a high fiber bull squatting over them.  By the time they managed to get out of that terrible situation, their leader is dead, and so is the fixer, so there's no trace of who hired them or what.  Thus the story begins.

Here's the problem, or rather several.  One is that I have no idea how much restrictions there should be in regards to transferring PnP qualities over to written RP.  I don't want to be so strict but I also want the realism of needing to keep trace of cash and having limited resources to survive in the rough world, let alone one where several of the most powerful forces in the local region wants the RPers dead.  I also don't want the hassle of having to keep trace of resources allocated to who, let alone talents and stats (so there's a problem with combat there as well).  Also I really don't have the time or energy to GM this (alone), so there's that, but I feel like having this here if only to chat it up would be nice, just between fans of the world and genre.  

P.S. I actually found out the place I actually grew up irl turned into a luxury AAA Enclave where officers have their expensive estates in this world.  Funny. :smile5:  

I am highly interested. Personally, I'd say all characters start with a few hundred nuuyen, at most, and each person keeps track of it themselves. I'd also say we should go freeform. While turn based is neater, but also adds more hassle on you and any other GMs then you should have to deal with, and freeform's a bit more realistic. Story's a bit interesting, but as Bone2Pick said, it's a bit standard. I also agree with him on the idea of fame/rep. Alright, that was my two cents.

I am highly interested. Personally, I'd say all characters start with a few hundred nuuyen, at most, and each person keeps track of it themselves. I'd also say we should go freeform. While turn based is neater, but also adds more hassle on you and any other GMs then you should have to deal with, and freeform's a bit more realistic. Story's a bit interesting, but as Bone2Pick said, it's a bit standard. I also agree with him on the idea of fame/rep. Alright, that was my two cents.

We may just get a shadowrun campaign going here on RpN.  While we wait, we could pitch runner concepts?  :smile1:

We may just get a shadowrun campaign going here on RpN.  While we wait, we could pitch runner concepts?  :smile1:

I usually go with either a decker or a mage, but I can shift depending on what I position needs filled. Otherwise, I usually wing it on my character  :smile5:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back