World Building Setting The Tone

Bone2pick

Minority of One
A foundational characteristic of an RP's setting is its tone. I think most site members would agree with that yet somehow it's a creative element rarely discussed here. Typically, when we "categorize" roleplays we divide them by genre: scifi, fantasy, modern slice of life, ect. Sometimes we even go deeper and divide an RP into its sub-genre: fantasy magical academy, post apocalyptic nation builder, 1940s mob drama, ect. And while that's generally helpful—as it provides quick setting & story information—the often unlisted tone of the world can be more important (a stronger deciding factor) to perspective players than the genre.

The following is an example of a setting with an identical genre but with significant tonal difference.

ACA6oG8.jpg

The above is artwork for Batman The Animated Series. It's, quite obviously, set in Gotham with a classic Bat-Family cast. The world's tone is a combination of cartoonish mystery, pulp adventure, larger than life characters, and conflicts that resolve with the "good guys" always managing to pull out a victory.

zGeRuZK.jpg

In contrast to BTAS the above artwork, for the animated Batman film Under the Red Hood, is also set in Gotham. But in this crime ridden iconic city, the stakes are higher. It's harsh. it's brutal. It chews folks up and spits them out—including the heroes and villains. Here victory for the "good guys" (if you can find any) may be out of reach. Here the people Batman hopes to save may actually not survive.

I appreciate both tones. Each one has its merits and limitations, and neither is objectively greater than the other. But while they have identical setting pieces at a glance, at their heart they're night and day. The two worlds and characters can not intermingle, less the setting's tone (spirit imo) be compromised.

GMs Should Protect Their Tone

Here's where it gets interesting. It's common for GMs to make sure character applications are of the appropriate genre for their setting, but in my observation, less common for them to correct tonal issues. An elven sorceress is an elven sorceress, right? Wrong. In the same way that a Batman villain is not just a Batman villain. Their tone—their presentation and setting fit, matters. I believe countless RPs have been poisoned to death by this narrative crime. A character is smuggled in who doesn't belong, other players resent/reject them, and they begin to look for a way out if the offending party stays on.

Thoughts on tone or any of this? Have you ever experienced a GM who failed to protect the tone of their setting?

Last edited:
I've encountered this a few times. I don't have a problem with it if character can exist in the lore/world. I just continue on like normal. Say I'm doing a gritty Gotham RP and I get an app for a happy-go-lucky superhero Robin, I will accept it. Just during the RP, that Robin will be getting constant reality checks on what this world actually is.

Say I'm doing a gritty Gotham RP and I get an app for a happy-go-lucky superhero Robin, I will accept it. Just during the RP, that Robin will be getting constant reality checks on what this world actually is.

I remember seeing something like that once or twice. If memory serves the player with the out of tone character flaked out as a result. With that approach there's only two outcomes as far as I can figure, abandon ship or evolve. Evolution takes place the same way a sharp knife dulls after it hacks away at a brick. It can't maintain its form against the constant abuse.

You're a roleplay veteran WM, can you recall a time where a GM enabled an out of tone character to thrive? Where they basically allow a reality (tone) warping bubble to follow said character? I know I can.

I remember seeing something like that once or twice. If memory serves the player with the out of tone character flaked out as a result. With that approach there's only two outcomes as far as I can figure, abandon ship or evolve. Evolution takes place the same way a sharp knife dulls after it hacks away at a brick. It can't maintain its form against the constant abuse.

You're a roleplay veteran WM, can you recall a time where a GM enabled an out of tone character to thrive? Where they basically allow a reality (tone) warping bubble to follow said character? I know I can.
Nice analogy and good question. The main examples I can remember are when nice, jokey, and suave characters are allowed to play in a story with a serious tone. All other characters are mortified over a grizzly death and there's that odd who wise-cracks and tries hitting on everybody else. It's jarring.

I think a GM should always be mindful of tone, but they don't necessarily have to keep it static. Changes in tone can be very effective in terms of eliciting emotion and worldbuilding, the real world is a complex place containing both tragedy and lightheartedness. Fictional worlds that do the same can feel very alive and it forces characters to become more complex by responding to a wider array of scenarios.

Of course if this isn't done deliberately and with care than the changes in tone will just undermine each other, destroying any suspension of disbelief and fostering resentment like you say. For less experienced GM's its probably important to learn how to establish a consistent tone before learning how to introduce variance for effect. I agree that lots of prospective GM's haven't quite mastered that first part of the equation so maybe it's not helpful to talk about what comes after that.

What I've experienced in the past and found interesting is that it's often not beginner or inconsiderate players that exert the most stress on tone. Even if many GM's don't exactly have a strong idea of what tone is and what sort of tone they are aiming for, they can usually tell that something doesn't quite fit about the Edgelord McLeathercoat and that sort of player will usually have more concrete issues in their CSes such as power scaling that would see them out the door anyway.

But a more confident, experienced RPer can very subtly affect the tone of the RP. They may have a complex backstory with certain elements that don't quite fit, or they craft an in depth but unorthodox approach to combat or whatever challenges form the crux of the RP. Less confident GMs may be more reluctant to address such issues to avoid begin seen as nitpicky or simply because it's pleasant to have an experienced player be part of the RP. Tone is often the cumulative effect of lots of little things so these small issues can start to add up and have a pronounced effect on the overall tone.

For that reason it's important for GMs to frankly discuss the intended tone with their players and make sure they are on board. Trying to push a certain tone on unwilling or unaware players is utterly futile but if they're on board they'll be on the lookout for opportunities to enhance the tone and respond appropriately.

AtlannianSpy AtlannianSpy Good input. I would never suggest that settings can't or shouldn't showcase a range moods and emotions. For instance, a 1940s organized crime roleplay that has the look and feel of The Godfather franchise could support lighthearted scenes, romantic scenes, violent scenes, ect. There's certainly a range, and I'm all for exploring that range. But imo, that setting shouldn't tone shift into something resembling the Dick Tracey movie. Same era & set pieces sure, but completely different tones.

It could be the case that we've defined tone differently, but I can't ever think of a case where I would support a significant tone shift. Again, explore the moods and emotions of the tone you've created, but a complete shift? I've never seen it work.

Your post was full of thoughts to digest, but one line that jumped out at me was the following: "Even if many GMs don't exactly have a strong idea of what tone is and what sort of tone they are aiming for..." I would at the very least put forth that tone concerns aren't considered & handled as often as they should be. To everyone's detriment imo.

Major tonal shifts are actually not that uncommon in anime and as a result anime inspired RPs, this is sometimes leveled as a criticism but I think it's simply a different approach that can be very effective if done well.

In Puella Magi Madoka a sudden, drastic tonal shift is used to critique and deconstruct the genre the show initially purports to be a conventional member of.

In Stein's Gate wacky antics endear us to the characters and color their relationships with real warmth so that when tragedy strikes it's all the more gutwrenching.

Shonen Adventure's like One Piece or Naruto oscillate between lighthearted comedy and serious themes like war or slavery, making a case for optimism and determination even in the face of darkness.

Now those are all conventional media written by a single author or writing team, it may be more difficult to pull off some of those approaches in an RP setting. But I subscribe to the idea that nothing should be inherently off limits, anything can be made to work if the writer behind it is good enough.

In writing this I did actually recall a very specific example of a tonal shift that I think is illustrative of both the risks and the advantages of playing with tone...

This was a few years back now and I was part of a somewhat typical "school for super powered teenagers" RP, I'm sure you've seen the type. This rp in particular had a comedic focus, the first few scenes focused on stuff like mop bucket races and lighthearted chaos stemming from people's powers inadvertently activating. My own character had kind of a spoiled rich girl angle going on, she was pretty arrogant and threw tantrums and was in general kind of someone you love to hate. But I had plans to overtime make her more sympathetic, slowly revealing a history of parental neglect and a genuine desire to reach out to people and make friends. Not exactly an original angle but solid enough, she was pretty popular as well, mostly because she made other people's characters look cool and nice by comparison.

Anyways skip forward a bit and somebody else had their character's abusive, psychotic foster father turn up at the school, one thing lead to another and the man was shot and killed right in front of my spoiled little rich girl. I was pretty pissed. The shooting was locked in canon and I couldn't really keep going forwards with the "make friends" angle without making her seem like a sociopath who wasn't phased by the incident, so everything I had planned for the character was basically no longer tenable. I strongly considered backing out of the rp and I probably would have if it weren't for the amount of friends I had there.

In the end I decided to stick with it and try to integrate this event into the character. And it worked! It really threw into contrast how sheltered this character had been which was an aspect I'd been exploring all ready. The death also served as the driving element behind the character becoming more selfless, whereas before she had been trying to reach out to other people primarily to deal with her own loneliness now she was trying to become someone who could actually combat the cruelty in the world that she had seen first hand.

So that was a character arc that wouldn't have been possible, I don't think, without that very drastic tonal change. At the same time it was incredibly frustrating while it was happening and was nearly enough to make me quit, we actually did lose a number of players due to similar objections over the direction.

While I understand that tone is extremely important for a story I believe that why this isn't taken care of more by GMs in general, and definitely in my own case, is because of two factors: Contrast and praticality.

Contrast refers a bit to what AtlannianSpy AtlannianSpy has already said, albeit also including the possibility of keeping the tone and having one character with a dissonance from it to enhance the tone. The super-serious villain constantly getting thwarted by the general goofiness of the setting or the cheerful and upbeat characters that enhance the creepiness or terror in horror stories, are both good examples of this. Sometimes having characters with slightly different tones helps solidify how different from those the tone of the setting is, at once difusing the contrast and using it's remains to help immerse the reader. Depending on how it's done and who the readers/participants are, this could even mean them accepting your world more for being less one tone. But indeed, it is an art of it's own.

The second factor is considerably more prevalent, and it goes by the fact that it's just not something you can really impose. Sure, you can catch the glaring mistakes in the tone, but once you start going to determine what the exact line is... How do you do that? Sure, you as a GM have the authority to kick out anyone you want, but just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. And players will often create characters possibily with the specific intention of being a contrast to your tone. But sometimes, if it's more subtle, you may have trouble imposing that without coming off as just biased.

The message of the original post, just in case it got lost underneath lengthy replies, was that GMs—out of respect to their invested and committed players—should protect their roleplays with established & distinct tones from out of tone characters. It's narrative bait and switch, and it all too often poisons the entire project.

I agree that a gm should do their best to protect their rp's intended tone, with their npcs and every post they do, but I don't think I (if I were gming an rp) would reject a character if everything about said character fit the setting except for their tone either. Idea's points are valid for me, but my main reason for not doing that lies in my inherent beliefs regarding roleplaying. If the tone is the spirit of a story, I believe that the freedom to affect the tone of an rp--and the direction of a story--is the right of the players...in the true spirit of roleplaying that is. Tone can be affected by many things, a player's writing style, their character's general attitude toward the setting, their personality...it's a little too dictatorial imo for a gm to enforce something like how a player should react in particular scenario. Or what personality their character should have to maintain the tone of the rp. Talking things through the players and describing one's intended tone to them is the easiest method to alleviate dramatic tonal shifts a story, but that feels a little...artificial?...in my mind. Unless I really, really wanted the rp to go in a certain direction and was set on a particular tone (I don't usually design rps this way), I wouldn't bother. If my writing/world setting wasn't enough to explain the tone, I either did a horrible job or the player intended to clash with my tone from the start.

AtlannianSpy's example of a dramatic tonal shift is one that stuck out to me and one I can easily relate to. There will me mood killers in an rp. Characters that can't read the atmosphere. Characters that impose their own atmosphere into the story in order to fulfill their own character's agenda/development. Yes, it can get frustrating...especially after you've made a great many plans and are super excited to see them play out. Yet I often find myself rolling with the punches and changing my plans a little (if I'm really determined to get a particular scene in, I'd find a way to do it regardless u-u). Why? Because I enjoy interacting with players more than I'm invested in my plans(usually). I join roleplays to play with players. Otherwise, I might as well just be writing my own fanfic about my characters. I'm okay with being surprised (even enjoy it)...after pain of having my plans crushed subsides (it does eventually). Then I think of new plans. The only exception I can think of is if a player suddenly decides to go Goku and destroy the universe, shifts time forward too far without consent, or anything along that line. Murder in front of another character comes pretty close - especially if it comes from nowhere. That's...just poor roleplaying etiquette (unless you're the gm =P).

Overall, I'd say I'm pretty lenient towards tonal shifts so long as everyone is okay with it. I may fight (IC-wise) to pull back a particular tone if it's that jarring to me, or if my setting demands it, but will otherwise let things run as they may tone-wise. If it is a problem for any player, it will be brought up and discussed, but I won't cater to a player who doesn't care enough about the rp to bring up any issues they have. Yes, tone is important for a story. However, roleplaying is a collaborative project/game and diverse perspectives/reactions ought be expected in a group. I don't think I've been in enough roleplays to say how much a dramatic tonal shift can poison an rp, but I have seen fairly dramatic ones that shift the direction of the story. I didn't hate the result. All I can say is poison and medicine are separated by thin line.

If the tone is the spirit of a story, I believe that the freedom to affect the tone of an rp--and the direction of a story--is the right of the players...in the true spirit of roleplaying that is.

Disagree. The direction of a story and tone are two completely different concepts. Players nearly always have the "right" to influence the direction of their RP's story, otherwise their actions would be meaningless. All participants understand and expect this, which is a critical distinction. But they don't have the "right" to alter the RP's tone. They may very well be permitted to, because the GM doesn't care, or they agree with the shift in tone, or they lack courage to protect their established tone. But the offending player doesn't have that right because it violates other players, and in most cases the GM's, expectations. And those expectations are a result of narrative promises from the interest check forward until the out of tone character is introduced into the roleplay.

If in their interest check a GM states their fantasy world will not have magic and non-human races, then neither of those things should be smuggled in by another player. It's disrespectful and dishonest to those already involved. The same is true for tone.

Disagree. The direction of a story and tone are two completely different concepts. Players nearly always have the "right" to influence the direction of their RP's story, otherwise their actions would be meaningless. All participants understand and expect this, which is a critical distinction. But they don't have the "right" to alter the RP's tone. They may very well be permitted to, because the GM doesn't care, or they agree with the shift in tone, or they lack courage to protect their established tone. But the offending player doesn't have that right because it violates other players, and in most cases the GM's, expectations. And those expectations are a result of narrative promises from the interest check forward until the out of tone character is introduced into the roleplay.

If in their interest check a GM states their fantasy world will not have magic and non-human races, then neither of those things should be smuggled in by another player. It's disrespectful and dishonest to those already involved. The same is true for tone.

I won't disagree with your statements. The quoted line is simply my opinion on roleplays. But can you deny that the reactions of the players, what they choose to do, affect the tone of the story? If player characters can't have their own opinion about a particular setting, can't have their character randomly flirt while everyone else's character is grieving a particularly horrid scene, isn't that as meaningless as being unable to affect the direction of the story?

Tone, in written composition, is an attitude of a writer toward a subject or an audience. Tone is generally conveyed through the choice of words, or the viewpoint of a writer on a particular subject (Copied this from internet definition).

^It still seems a bit to dictatorial in my mind to limit a player's attitude or word choice just so it fits into the intended setting and implied expectations. Some players are comical writers. Some have a tendency for deep criticism in their posts.

*shrug*But I don't deny the authority of the gm either.

I don't know if your definition of tone is different from the one I have...

A single character reaction affects/alters the tone of an RP? I suspect not. Of course a significantly out of tone character could (and usually does), but I believe you and I agree on that.

Characters can't have different opinions on a particular setting? That's your question? My answer would depend on what that means. What it looks like. If it means one player is writing through a setting like it's Game of Thrones while another like it's The Princess Bride, then I (assuming I'm the GM) would make sure whoever is farthest off the established tone realign their "opinion" of the setting.

Tone isn't broken by a single action or behavior. Characters can tell a joke or two at a funeral in a gritty and serious RP, or express genuine grief and sorrow in a comedy. So long as the character in question is in tone with the setting, then their behaviors will feel appropriate, assuming said behaviors are not "out of character."

I guess I'm having difficulty understanding the difference between tone and setting in your definition. If we were to isolate tone and setting, how could a character fit in with the setting and be off in their tone?

I provided an example in my first post and others later but I'll do so again. Dick Tracey is populated with 1930s/1940s mob characters, so is The Godfather. At a glance (name, weapons, description, ect) the characters seem compatible, but tone wise they're very different. Same with the sharks from Finding Nemo and the shark from Jaws.

I provided an example in my first post and others later but I'll do so again. Dick Tracey is populated with 1930s/1940s mob characters, so is The Godfather. At a glance (name, weapons, description, ect) the characters seem compatible, but tone wise they're very different. Same with the sharks from Finding Nemo and the shark from Jaws.

Yes, I see. The examples you offered are the same subjects with different perspectives and portrayls. If you were to put the sharks in Finding Nemo and the shark from Jaws in one rp, they'd both react differently in a scenario. One more gruesome than the other. But they could both be put in the same setting...and I guess I just don't really have a problem with that...various perspectives in one setting I mean. If I could get a soldier with a darker viewpoint of war and an upbeat soldier fighting for glory and honor, I'd want to see them clash =P

But that might just be me.

Not different perspectives, different tones. Bruce Wayne and Poison Ivy both have different perspectives in Batman the Animated Series, but they share the same tone. They're both appropriate for the world, and furthermore, the stories that can be reasonably imagined in said world. It's important not to confuse tone with character perspective or story direction.

What you like is what you like, and I don't fault you for it. But when a GM suggests their roleplay is going to be a specific thing, but they later throw the heart of that specific thing out the window, well... It often goes down like a bitter pill. And rightly so imo.

Last edited:
Not different perspectives, different tones. Bruce Wayne and Poison Ivy both have different perspectives in Batman the Animated Series, but they share the same tone. They're both appropriate for the world, and furthermore, the stories that can be reasonably imagined in said world. It's important not to confuse tone with character perspective or story direction.

What you like is what you like, and I don't fault you for it. But when a GM suggests their roleplay is going to be a specific thing, but they later throw the heart of that specific thing out the window, well... It often goes down like a bitter pill. And rightly so imo.

Admittedly I was looking at personality to pinpoint an out-of-tone character in a character sheet.
I understand that an out-of-tone character wouldn't fit into the setting...what I'm looking for is a bit more definitive. A character's perspective is not tone, but it can influence a character's tone as written in the sheet. A better question might be how would one go about correcting an out of tone character? You mentioned story...so background? As I understand it right now an out of tone chacter is simply one that doesn't fit in the story...in which case rejection should be obvious :/

Not going to contest the pain of a failed expectation. Mine usually starts low with new rps then builds up. By then, I either become invested enough in my characters that I push through hurdles of misaligned expectations , or just let things drop.

A better question might be how would one go about correcting an out of tone character? You mentioned story...so background? As I understand it right now an out of tone chacter is simply one that doesn't fit in the story...in which case rejection should be obvious :/

That's a fair question. Character tone isn't just a background issue - though you'll likely see it there - it's part of the character's DNA. It's in their past, present, and future. An out of tone character doesn't just clash with the story, they clash with the world. Which means none of the stories you would expect to read or tell in that particular setting can be executed properly if they remain. An analogy would be attempting (and hoping) to listen to a traditional orchestra perform Mozart while someone keeps blowing a kazoo in your ear.

I imagine the first step to correcting character tone issues is to make sure you (as the GM) have properly communicated the tone of your RP. If you suspect you haven't then the fault is yours, not theirs. Remedy that trouble spot asap. But if you believe you have communicated the tone well then talk to the player in greater detail about your world and its tone. Explain to them why you feel their character is a poor fit. Then give them a chance to make corrections.

If they adjust and get on board, great. If not I politely let them know that they missed the mark.

Last edited:
I really have to thank you for making this thread, Bone2pick Bone2pick . Your descriptions pinpointed an issue I couldn't manage to form.

I've managed a few rps, and although my first one completely lacked a tone, the ones afterwards were more solid. I began to form expectations, and be at times amazed when that unspoken expectation was met, and sorely disappointed when it was not. This reaction I had to hold very far inside of myself, since I did not understand why I held one writer's post so dear and another's at arm's length. It was tone! It was totally tone!

When I made a mystery, and the players wrote realistically, sprinkling clues and delving into the thoughts of their character, the RP felt just as I imagined it would, but when goofy posts answered those, the disconnect was so strong and unspeakable that I avoided the rp entirely, and it withered from neglect.

Ah, but now that I am armed with such knowledge, I can face the enemy confidently! May that tone-deaf person turn back and connect with that essential vision, or perish forever from the rp! For the danger these foes pose is too great for tolerance.

Killigrew Killigrew I suspect the story of your third paragraph is an all too common experience for veteran roleplayers. The least we could do is talk about it. Thanks for the nice reply. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back