• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Setting Summer Dawn - Firelight tales

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Time: the day before the masquerade ball
Interaction: Crow, Pyrrhus

"'Mind them'?" Pyrrhus asked, the playful light returning to his deep blue eyes. "Perhaps in Sumenna they would be frowned upon, but Cyndarans covet works of art like this. They are very special."
Pyrrhus was about to set to work when he paused. "Hmm, no, I'm sorry but you're too short. Can we do this...ah!"
He caught sight of a tall table.
"Um, pardon me." Without explaining Pyrrhus bent a knee and scooped Crow up in both arms, betraying just how strong he actually was. He carried Crow with ease to the table and sat him on it carefully.
"There!" He said with a cheerful flick of his long tail. "Now we're the same height, and I don't have to put my back out doing this."
He took up the brush again. "It's going to be cold." He warned, moments before he put the brush to Crow's bare shoulder.
Pyrrhus hummed softly as he worked, making every stroke with slow and methodical care. He covered each mark completely, guiding Crow to turn with a gentle touch each time he needed to.
"Tell me about them." He said at length, when he was almost finished. "What do they mean?"

Goonfire Goonfire

“I must admit, I’m... flattered,” Crow confessed, his voice betraying a hint of genuine surprise that he used such an adjective in a conversation about his own markings.

He sighed to himself, cursing his height under his breath. “I had a bad feeling; I was always among the-oh...! Blood rushed to his face, turning it an especially vibrant red. He had never been carried like this before. “You didn’t have to do that. I-I could have climbed,” he bashfully protested. Despite the pitiful excuse of a tough front, he actually found this oddly comforting. He enjoyed it, but wouldn’t admit that at the moment.

It was an embarrassing moment when Crow found himself unable to fully explain what his markings meant, so he resolved to divulge what he knew as the cold paint was applied to his skin. “My sources are limited, so they don’t explain much about the dark fey customs aside from appearance and a brief bit of tradition. All I know is that the markings are inherited, and the color is inherited from glowing, magic-infused tattoos that were originally for classification purposes; teal or green denotes a hunter-gatherer, blue indicates a warrior, and purple... a magician or shaman. There is apparently a tradition upheld, to keep each person true to his or her color.” Stopping to think for a second, he also commented thoughtfully, “Magic... I wouldn’t mind upholding such a tradition. It was my best subject, in my training years.”

SilverFlight SilverFlight

Pyrrhus seemed to enjoy Crow's flustered stammering, but he grew attentive when the young inquisitor began to explain what he knew of the markings.
"Magic. Hmm." Pyrrhus sounded thoughtful again and he regarded Crow with an appraising eye.
"I think you could do it then..."
With a small flourish he finished the last of the markings. "There you go." He took a moment to go to the full-length mirror against the wall and turn it to Crow with a look of pride. "What do you think?"
He waited for Crow to inspect his handiwork.
"I learned healing magic, when I was younger." Pyrrhus began to explain. "Because of your unique heritage...I think I could teach you, if you wanted me to."

Goonfire Goonfire

Last edited:

Fortunately, there were mirrors throughout the room, normally for the purpose of fitting clothes. “Excuse me for a moment,” Crow requested, turning to slip down from the table. He beheld the brushwork, admiring the reflection. “It’s so neat and even. You never cease to impress.” He was proud to be Pyrrhus’ canvas. There was a second war brewing, to see which man could contain his excitement longer.

Pyrrhus’ offer caught Crow’s attention, causing him to mouth out the word ‘wow’. “I was taught a small measure of medicine myself, mostly humanoid physiology,” he recalled thoughtfully. “In Eskaro, that’s either a great help... or a weapon in and of itself; a tainted art. Healing magic, though... it seems so pure, so... incorruptible. I’d gladly accept your tutelage in it.”

Pyrrhus waved off the compliment, but he was beaming nonetheless. When Crow expressed interest in learning his craft Pyrrhus' smile turned warm and admiring.
"I don't think anyone could turn the magic I use into a weapon." The centaur assured him gently. "If you've been taught the basics of spellwork and body energy, then it might come to you quickly."
He held the flat of his palm out to the young inquisitor, fingers splayed. "Here, put your hand against mine. Try to feel the flow of energy through it."

Goonfire Goonfire

“Spells are a suggestion sent out to the universe, that what you say will happen; ‘abracadabra’,” Crow recited from memory on his way back to Pyrrhus. You must gradually attune yourself to the type of magic you wish to cast.” Just as he finished his textbook teachings, he reached up and touched the centaur’s hand. Crow’s fingers were narrow and delicate; these were not the hands of the vicious torturer those Eskaroi inquisitors expected him to be.

Mirroring the gesture and closing his eyes, Crow kept his palm flat against Pyrrhus’, focusing not on him, but the energy coursing through his veins. There was the faintest hint of turbulence in Crow’s own energy—a mental block of sorts. Skilled as he claimed to be, he had ample room for improvement. Deep down, he knew not his own limits, only those which other people had set for him.

He smiled as Crow recited, and when he felt the light touch of Crow's hand.
"I think there is much Cyndara can show you."
Pyrrhus felt the block. Energy sensing could go both ways if both parties were practiced, and he tilted his head as his own magic brushed it. This was intimate too in a way, and for once the centaur refrained from his usual, flirtateous commentary.
"Now that you feel it..." Pyrrhus took his hand away. In his other he was already holding a small sewing needle, taken from the tailor's table. Without warning he brought it to the tip of his finger and pressed. The point broke skin and a tiny bead of red blood welled on the cut. He held his hand flat and, the needle now back on the table, he reached for Crow and brought the young inquisitor's fingers to rest on the palm of his own injured hand.
"Now try to sense where the energy is disrupted. Once you feel the break, you can call your own energy to repair it. Repair the energy flow, and the physical will follow...Give it a try."

Goonfire Goonfire

Crow winced, blinking the instant the needle breached his companion’s flesh. “You really don’t have to cause yourself pain for me,” he meekly assured Pyrrhus. “Now... let me see what I can do so soon. I cannot promise much.” Taking the larger hand, he ran a finger gently over the puncture wound, smearing the droplet of blood.

Magic energies, to a degree, permeated all living creatures; it was up to said creatures, whether or not they would bring order to this energy, focus it, harness it. The most common source of any blockage was a mere lack of confidence and experience. Crow tried to tell himself that he was much more powerful than he thought, while he concentrated on mending the wound. At a rate comparable to that of paint drying, the flesh did eventually mend without a scab. His healing ability was weak, but the fact he could do it at all made a proud smile creep onto his expression. “I... I think we made progress already,” Crow murmured, tears of joy threatening to lurch free from their ducts.

"Well I can't very well cause you pain can I?" Pyrrhus countered, as if it was the most obvious conclusion.
He stayed quiet as Crow worked, and felt the change before he saw it. He was grinning triumphantly when the young inquisitor found his face again.
"You are a natural."
The centaur started as he noticed Crow about to cry.
"Oh, goodness it's all right!" He gave a good-natured chuckle before going to find a kerchief and passing it to the young inquisitor.
"Now don't you start or you'll get me going too! And you might start smudging all my hard work."
Pyrrhus tried to put on an admonishing edge in his tone, but his smile was bright as sunshine.
Goonfire Goonfire

“W-wait what?” Crow stammered, trying to conceal his emotions. “Nonsense, there was just something in my eye.” He folded his arms, then looked away innocently.

By now, said hard work was dry. “Anyway,” Crow started to change the subject after clearing his throat. “Allow me a moment to prepare for our dance.” Rounding up his costume, he ducked behind a curtain in the corner, only to emerge a mere moment later. He saw himself in the mirror and then donned the mask to gaze at himself in awe. “I swear it didn’t look this gorgeous on paper... and trust me, it looked fantastic on paper.” The real spectacle was yet to come, though...

Pyrrhus only laughed again as Crow denied his sensitivity, but he regarded the young man with a bit more fondness afterwards.
He waited patiently while Crow changed and when he emerged Pyrrhus couldn't help but let out a breath in surprise. The outfit was magnificent. His eyes lingered probably a little longer than they should have.
"That's because it's on you." Pyrrhus replied simply as he turned away, a little of the roguishness back.
He strolled to the edge of the room and picked up an old curtain rod, leaning against the wall. It was polished and flat at both ends and would serve as a quarter staff very well. He brought it to Crow. "Are you sure you would like to try this dance in your outfit for the ball?" He asked, but after handing off the staff he was already picking up his own neatly-embroidered jacket, mask and the pot of gold paint.
"Because if you are, I'd like to match."
The paint he held out to Crow too, the request in his eyes. "Hard as it is for you to paint your own skin, it would be doubly so for me." He smiled sheepishly.

Goonfire Goonfire

The mask did a great job hiding Crow’s blush. He didn’t remove it again until he felt some of the heat leave his face. “Naturally, I’d want us both to get some use of these gorgeous costumes. Somehow, I feel a tad more graceful like this, as well,” he mused while accepting the three items, which he placed on a table for the moment.

Painting a centaur proved to be an interesting challenge, one which Crow bravely accepted. “On the contrary... I have some ideas.” He gestured to one of the slightly shorter tables. “If you lie down for a few minutes, I could slide this table over your, um...” A brief pause ensued as he tried to recall what word was used to describe horse-like features. He inhaled sharply, ready to continue after remembering. “... equine half, and then paint your shoulders and back. Then, getting to your sides won’t be as difficult; you may stand for that.” During the explanation, he absentmindedly traced a finger along Pyrrhus’ side, vaguely recalling the patterns.

"You don't need the outfit Crow, you are plenty graceful on your own."
When the inquisitor lost the word for Pyrrhus' unusual anatomy he only laughed. He stilled however when he felt Crow's gentle touch on his flank. His skin shivered.
"I am ticklish. Just so you know."
Slowly he went to his knees and then lay down, now looking up at Crow with an easy smile.
"I am at your mercy my dear inquisitor. Be gentle."
Goonfire Goonfire

Crow did his best to not seem flattered and ultimately failed miserably. “I’ll do my best to not tickle you too much,” he assured Pyrrhus before pulling the table into position. “Just... try not to laugh, either.”

How Crow didn’t manage to slop the shiny pigments on himself is one of the great mysteries of the world. During the process, he consulted the design pages a few times, committing segments of the patterns to memory before proceeding. The occasional drop of cold gold paint plopped onto Pyrrhus’ skin, only to be carefully dabbed away with an old scrap of cloth that was swiped from the rag bag. It was a long, somewhat tedious process as Crow demonstrated how strict he really was in regards to the quality of his own work.

The end result of the labor was a fairly even application. It fell a bit short of masterwork, but at least each of the lovely organic shapes was placed with mathematical precision. Wiping away the last smudges and droplets with his rag, Crow then stretched and yawned faintly. “There we go. All done, from head to toe—I mean hoof,” he sighed in satisfaction, clearing his throat audibly after correcting himself.

Pyrrhus gave him a bright grin when he turned his own humour back on him, but he stayed very still.
The centaur watched Crow work quietly and with gentle fascination. His sleek fur took the pain easily and he admired the way the light danced in different ways across the paint.
It took a long while and Pyrrhus was starting to feel guilty by the time Crow put up the brush.
The wait was well worth it however. He rose when the inquisitor let him and went to the mirror.
"Oh!" he exclaimed, turning this way and that, taking in the full extent of Crow's careful work.
"It's beautiful!"
He couldn't contain laughing for joy as his tail flicked up and back down.
"I could kiss you!"
Pyrrhus went to fetch the jacket that had been made carefully for him., slipping it over his shoulders and taking up his newly-made mask to complete the costume. It had been a long while since he had worn something so magnificent. Crow was right, it did make him feel different...better.
"What do you think?" Pyrrhus asked him finally, standing in full dress, beaming.

Goonfire Goonfire

Sealing the jar for the day, Crow nodded approvingly. “It seems our measurements were spot-on.” Pyrrhus’ delight had caught him completely off-guard. Adding to that was the remark ‘I could kiss you,’ which gave the thunderstruck inquisitor heart palpitations. “I’m happy that you’re happy with it,” he acknowledged, sheepishly concealing his flustered expression behind his mask once more. He had made a monster, one who could conquer Evereach with only his stunning and exotic appearance.

The cliché held true; smiles really were contagious, especially when the one starting the whole chain reaction was constantly grinning ear-to-ear. Lowering the mask—which he was holding by the beak—Crow struggled to even form words. “You... look... enchanting,” he breathily opined. Unable to peel his gaze away from the showstopping fellow, he clumsily fished around for the curtain rod.

The tone caught Pyrrhus by surprise, he reached up and pulled his own mask down, focusing on Crow with his full attention, and his bright blue eyes. For the first time in a very long while, Pyrhus felt his own cheeks warm and he looked away with a slight turn of his head.
He walked over to Crow, the sound of his hooves loud in the silence, and took the staff, pressing it carefully into the young inquisitor's hand.
"We're going to need a bit more room for this." He said quietly, and beckoned Crow to follow him out.

The garden was bathed in beautiful sunlight, just as it had been when they had arrived. Pyrrhus was beginning to like the willow grove very much. It was cool and shady and the pond was not far off, where the ducks swam lazily and blushing water lilies dotted the water by the shore. Pyrrhus stretched his steps and he drew out the muscles in his legs and reached his arms up to the dappled ceiling of dangling willow leaves and sunlight. The heat in the air carried the scent of flowers and it was heavenly.
"Since I designed it for two different partners, the dance will not be a close thing, there's a lot of movement, fairly wide steps...running, leaps, that sort of thing. The staff, is a connection between us, but also a barrier, keeping distance."
Pyrrhus took up a stance, one foreleg extended and placed gingerly on the ground in front of him. He gestured for Crow to stand in front of him, and place the staff, standing upright in their center. Carefully, he replaced his mask, his eyes glinting in the shadows made under the stag's brow.
"Are you ready?"
Goonfire Goonfire

Crow found himself beckoned out to the garden once more. The shade of the willow grove was also his favorite, since the nape of his neck tended to turn red as a lobster if he spent too much time in the sun.

Pyrrhus’ explanation of the dance concept made sense, so Crow relayed what he thought were key points. “In using the staff as a divider, it shows we stand separate, two equally strong independent elements. At the same time time, even when divided by this physical barrier, our individual actions will have a certain... gestalt. Am I correct?” Having dissected the symbolism of the staff, he fastened his own mask. “Quite poetic, really. Is it a metaphor for Cyndarans and Sumennans working together? One great achievement to commemorate another?” he speculated, assuming his starting position with the rod upright. Finally, he nodded to signal he was prepared.

Last edited:

Pyrrhus nodded at Crow's interpretation. "That is the sum of it yes, the dance is also a dialogue, a conversation, and the staff is a tool for that communication, like a bond between us."
He thumbed his chin thoughtfully as Crow asked his question.
"You know? I've never thought of it like that before, but, given where we come from, it seems a very fitting assumption. Let's make it about that then." Pyrrhus finished happily.
The first few steps were not overly complicated, Pyrrhus led the circle that they walked, the staff turning like a spoke between them. He glanced at his partner from over the wood in their hands and the excitement was easy to see.
He sped up then, instructing Crow to slow, until he was cantering in the circle alone, the inquisitor now in the center of the dance. He slowed to a trot and then a slow walk as he explained the next part.
"I had it in mind," he began, "to use the staff to vault you over my back. At the right moment, you would have to run counter to me, use the momentum of my pace to jump. I would hold the other end as an anchor and help in the lift, land you d=safely on my other side, then, I would change leading foot to turn the circle about you again...would you like to try it?"
Pyrrhus took up the staff's end again and started into his pace, ready as soon as Crow gave the signal.
Goonfire Goonfire

Crow never backed down from a challenge, even one that proved potentially harmful. “I will attempt the jump,” he indicated before the dance began. One could easily see he had regained his composure after the emotional hour in the sewing room; the sharpness had returned to his eyes, and they darted across Pyrrhus’ form, pinpointing each movement to string together the pattern in his steps. Crow matched his pace in response, keeping the appropriate distance. His palms were slightly sweaty, allowing them to glide over the pole with ease. The dance possessed a certain charm; the staff served as an anchorpoint. Neither man’s fingers entirely left the pole at one time.

The motions had such a fluidity to them! The once-blasé inquisitor took an uncanny liking to the sensation of moving with agility and grace, of the wind that made the slit panels of his vest trail behind him. In the summer heat, he was mentally reborn, more like a magnificent phoenix from the ashes of a humble crow. Instinct and muscle memory took precedence over logic as his muscles anticipated that climactic vault.

Last edited:

"Ready?" Pyrrhus asked, his strides smooth as water. "If all else fails...don't let go!" And with that Pyrrhus put all his strength into lifting the pole. Crow needed to jump at the right moment or he would be dumped unceremoniously across the centaur's withers. Pyrrhus slowed to help Crow with the vault, holding his breath in anticipation.
Goonfire Goonfire

“Ready!” Or at least, Crow thought he was. He threw himself up and over as soon as Pyrrhus closed in. A mere split-second off... At first, the inexperienced dancer thought he would make it, but the slightest miscalculation caused him to fall mere centimeters short. With a faint yelp, he skimmed his partner’s back and slid down his side, making a clumsy landing on one knee. The soft grass muffled the impact, preventing his knee from taking a painful beating. His pants remained unscathed, fortunately.

Crow staggered to his feet after the narrow miss, chuckling. “My timing needs work,” he mused wryly, beckoning to continue after his error.

Pyrrhus could tell he wasn't going to make it before it happened and tried to support the staff to soften his fall.
"Are you hurt?" Pyrrhus asked with genuine concern, holding a hand for him to take.
When Crow got up and motioned for them to continue Pyrrhus have him an uneasy look. "I didn't consider that this could be dangerous for you...You're sure you want to do it again?"
It was with reluctance that Pyrrhus took up the stance again and prepared.

They practiced the move several more times, but Pyrrhus's worry still nagged at him and it showed on his face.
"I don't think I've thanked you yet, for learning this with me." He tried to take his mind from the thought. "It's a bit of a personal project and well, it means a lot. So, thank you Crow. I mean it."

Goonfire Goonfire

“My light weight is an asset to our efforts here,” Crow figured as he rehearsed the move, over and over again. Several botched attempts later, he determined he was jumping too early, so on the final try, he gave it a go, counting the usual time it took him and adding a quarter of a second before jumping. That worked; he smaller male landed gracefully on Pyrrhus’ other side, most triumphantly. He endured the mistakes without physical injury.

Crow could still see the worry etched upon his partner’s face. He leaned just a bit closer, looking up with a reassuring beam. “I should be thanking you, Pyrrhus... for bearing with me.”

"Fantastic!" Pyrrhus cried in triumph as the young inquisitor landed on his feet without so much as a stumble. "We'll make an acrobatic dancer out of you yet!"
He slowed to a stop and turned in toward Crow, his breathing heavy from the exertion. There was a fine sheen of sweat on his skin and his grey fur now bore a darker shimmer to it too.
He waved a hand after Crow's thanks, though he was elated by the beaming smile on his face.
"These are very difficult moves." Pyrrhus told him, voice filled with admiration. "I admit, I feel a little guilty about it, but you've almost mastered one of the hardest! I am very impressed."
Pyrrhus took a deep breath and decided to slip off the mask and coat. "It's not this hot in Cyndara." He said with a little chagrin. The pond suddenly looked very inviting, the crystal water was so clear Pyrrhus could see the flat river stones that lined the bottom of it. "I think I'd like a short break."
Goonfire Goonfire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back