Idea Self insert idea

defenderofberk

And... We're doomed. Fun times.
With there being so much hate towards self inserts (usually due to OOC behaviour) I was wondering what a role play full of self inserts would be like? Just your average slice of life role play, no amazing powers, no alien invasion and everyone plays themselves (up to a point anyways, tweaks to personal details would obviously be okay).

Obviously a plot could be construed around this, but I wondered what people thought about the idea? Would it be an interesting opportunity to explore how we perceive ourselves while being fun and creative, or would it be a toxic mess with people taking it a bit too personally? What tips, if any, would you have about constructing a role play like this?

Self-insert itself isn't bad IMO. Most of the time self-insert becomes bad because the writer doesn't realize that they're writing a self-insert and can't differentiate between character and themself, thus any aggresion or affection towards their character would be taken personally. A bunch of purposefully self-insert characters doesn't sounds bad, I RPed something like this years ago and it was hillarious because most people end up making fun of themself. It didn't lasts long though.

Self-insert itself isn't bad IMO. Most of the time self-insert becomes bad because the writer doesn't realize that they're writing a self-insert and can't differentiate between character and themself, thus any aggresion or affection towards their character would be taken personally. A bunch of purposefully self-insert characters doesn't sounds bad, I RPed something like this years ago and it was hillarious because most people end up making fun of themself. It didn't lasts long though.
Thanks! I was thinking that if everyone knew they were playing self inserts it'd vastly reduce the OOC problems, but I was worried that people might take it too personal.

I have never played self-insert roleplays, but, to some degree, my characters have some similar characteristics of mine. These are nornally characteristics that I find hard to get rid of when roleplaying, as thinking in a different way is hard to me. For instance, most part of the characters I had created were introverts. This, because, writing an extrovert is exhausting to me. Writing such type of characters drains my energy a bit, because I have to think the opposite of what I nornally am. And this is not a bad thing at all, that can be actually pretty fun! Yet, if the whole plotline is heavy, I prefer to stick with characters whose personalities are close to mine, so I can focus fully on the plot. Thatll also make character development easier, but well, bavk on the topic itself:
Just like mentioned before, even if the main character is literally us, people shouldn't feel that emotionally attached to such character, as that can definitely lead to negative feelings about the roleplay and the other(s) roleplayer(s). There should be a small depersonalisation, in a way that people don't get offended by what is happening to their character. Aside from that small heads up, I guess that those roleplays can be a great form of self-exploration, and I have been playing a mobile game that actually uses such concept precisely to describe that, and it has been great :) I'm totally up for something like that :D
Awesome, thanks for the advice! I'll probably need some help with it though (if enough interest is shown), so if you'd like to contribute that'd be perfect!

Thanks! I was thinking that if everyone knew they were playing self inserts it'd vastly reduce the OOC problems, but I was worried that people might take it too personal.

I think the issue you refer to, may just be an issue with maturity.
And that's an issue you'll have with any roleplay.
It's just a matter of finding participants whith enough self awareness to draw that line.

Personally I think this is a great idea. :)

I've had a similar concept in my head for some time now.
The idea being that a group of friends learn to access an interdimensional realm, where physics doesn't behave consistently.
Like a universe of infinite dungeons, where everything and anything can and will exist.

Upon the start of each session, each character enters as themself, but their being will slowly be changed by their interactions within.
In this interdimensional realm, mental and physical would not be fully seperated, thoughts, feelings, and even dreams, can take on physical form. The plot would be driven by the participants subconscious taking form in various ways, and interacting with one another.

Whenever a session ends, their "character" exits the interdimensional realm, and they return to just being their regular physical selves, but with the memories of the interdimensional self.

Eventually the participants would build societies, relationships, or even micro universes within the interdimensional realm, still playing themselves but a vastly different version of themself that couldn't exist in our mundane reality.

But that's just one example of a self insert RP.
I think the concept has allot of potential.

I have a few characters that started as self-inserts but evolved into their own thing, and characters that are self-inserts. Use them as a catalyst for your lunacy and everything will be fine. RP is RP, after all.

As said up there, a lot of potential, a lot of directions to take it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back