• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Seeking partner/s for HP RP set in 1700s

Yeah my idea is that it's less my character is super connected and more like no one else wanted his job. Most of his older colleagues would see the Ministry as sort of a "soft" job. Be very into whatever you called toxic masculinity in the early 18th century. Like real wizards/witches work for a living and don't fall into this dandy desk job b.s.

And he's like buuuut i don't want to live on rats and be destitute. Why is this a bad thing?

So I imagine that could be were we bring in Rolo's character maybe she's helping him with connections since he's more - I got hired ironically because I was the only qualified applicant and not because the old families know who I am.

Anyway gonna be heading home from work and getting some food. I'll be back on in about an hour or so ( depending on if dinner is ready when i get home or if I gotta make it )

LOL I like this. I imagine that the 1700s would be a weird period for the wizarding world in terms of work -- like big boom, gotta build all the things, enchanters and crup/kneasle/etc breeders and whatnot in enormous demand because holy shit keeping muggles out of magical areas is like a huge priority, but also they're probably still recovering from the absolute economic disaster of "oh my god :/ trade involving muggles is p much gone? do you even know how much muggles will pay for shit with even the pettiest enchantments? they're adorable" so yeah I can see the whole "the fuck is this desk job thing??" concept.

... so I'm pretty excited :3

Yeah I also had the idea of like coded surnames ( and them being sort of phased out in this time period ). By which I mean presumably before the Statute of Secrecy came into being muggles and wizards were still pretty different in terms of ideology and what not ( despite some areas where I'm sure they could coexist like trade ).

So therefore when new muggleborns where brought into the world ( especially if they were brought in by the Gallows Cats/Changling Network ) they would be encouraged to take on new "wizardly" surnames to assimilate. Two of the more common versions of this being - Gallows or Channing ( a play on changling ). It would be said that this would help them fit in more even though any pureblood wizard would automatically know by those surnames they came from dirty Muggle blood.

Now this wasn't ever in anyway enforced and mugglborns where free to keep their previous names if they wanted but it was sort of heavily implied that changing their names would help them put the "nasty muggle business" behind them. Some children going so far as to take ( what they presumed ) where outlandish wizarding given names as well. I can see that being sort of funny as some of the more nonsense names could be traced back to trends started by muggle borns trying to fit in and the rest of society sort of taking it up.

Another coded naming convention was the surname of Founder. Which was most often given to halfblood bastards with wizard fathers and muggle mothers. ( or really any mother deemed unfit or of lower station by the Father's family ). Sort of playing on the idea that these children were "foundlings" that were taken in by good and virtuous wizarding families from places of destitution or some such thing. Like anyone with a Founder in the family tree would be super self-righteous about it but it's sort of an open secret that it just means you have a male relative that kind of got around.

Now in the case of the reverse where you have a witch mom and some father that was unsuitable for some reason witches just followed their muggle counterparts and lied. Either it's not my baby or oooh quick marriage and congratulations it's YOUR baby.

Last edited:
lol well in fairness i kind of wanted my character to be a bastard and i was like-- okay how would he get anywhere in society and what would his name be? and the muggleborn thing just seemed like the kind of "benevolent" bigotry that really old wizards would be down with.

Oooooo! I like it! So we have, muggle who has a sensitivity to magic, a pure-blood witch who's father works in the new ministry and a bastard mugle-born? I have the correct, right?

Hahaha... oh! I should mention, since, yknow, muggle/wizard relations are a big part of where I'm goin with this RP:
Opinions of muggles are pretty much going to be high or low for the most part. Remember the Statue of Secrecy only happened as the result of continued anti-magic persecution, and that witch burnings/hangings primarily harmed and killed children and young magical people -- many magical people have segregated themselves for a while already because of this (Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley have been around before the Statute, though Diagon Alley is more recent) -- so anti-muggle sentiment may be very high.

BUT -- there's also places where muggles and mages have got along pretty damn well, and there's probably large segments of the population here and there who still view the statute as more of a set of suggestions and are a little oblivious as to what needs to be hidden. (Which can be seen even the canon time period.) So... a good time to pick where your char stands on it.

My character is torn between it, she wants to be friends with a muggle, see how that world works, but, she was raised that they hated her kind.

Well mine would be sort of complicated. As I said he's a bastard ( actually probably Wizard Mum and presumed muggle father although Mumsy didn't like to talk about it and sort of gave him the name Founder out of spite to her family ). So he's at least halfblood although likely spent a lot of time being sort of the odd man out in groups. And likely took up with the Gallows Cats to try to find a place to belong. Mostly because Mom and the Family were super toxic to one another and he was sort of a bargaining chip in their continued petty squabbling.

He's also actually talented at Gallows work which does help but still from a reasonably comfortable life which would reinforce his desire to be legitimized ( even if it's just through work )

As to his opinions on muggles I'd say sort of a benign prejudice very similar to the Weasleys. He has nothing against the idea of muggles really and he'd be nice enough to them if he had to work with them but he still doesn't really think of them as a part of the society. They're very clearly other in his way of thinking just not necessarily in a negative way ( or well he wouldn't consider it a negative way )

Basically if asked point blank - yeah they're a little below witches and wizards although it's not their fault, the poor things have no magic. but also merlin no i'm not lynching people or killing them for a stupid thing like blood.

My character is called Morina Castillo (A completely new pure-blood family that I made up)

Corbyn Archibald William Jackaby Founder - call me Ben.
Special Skills : investigatory magic, duck animagus, charming idiocy, and preparedness
Needs Improvement : professionalism, pureblood connections, ability to keep stains from clothes

LOL! Profile amuses me. I will use it.

Bialis Conroy
Special Skills : Paranoia, watching people, climbing, archery, magic sensitivity, sign language
Needs Improvement : People skills, cooking skills, housing and food situation, spoken language skills (he thinks he knows some french. it hurts so bad to hear what he thinks french sounds like.)

Just thought I'd let you know I'm down to do the roleplay in threads or PMs or really wherever ( I also have Skype and discord for ooc )

However I've been throwing up off and on for the last several hours so I'm gonna mostly try to sleep a lot. If I go a long stretch feeling better I might get on later this afternoon

Awe! I hope you feel better soon, and don't worry, number one priority is your health! Take as long as you need

Know the feeling. I've been pretty messed up healthwise lately. Threads, PMs, all the same to me. I have discord but part of the reason I'm getting into forum RP is because I can't use chat services at my work :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back