• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Seeking partner/s for HP RP set in 1700s

Bealocwealm

Unusual concept, but!

I'm looking for a Harry Potter RP set in the 1700s. The Statute of Magical Secrecy was passed in the 1690s, so this is an interesting period in muggle/wizard relations -- for some, an ultimate low point, on the tail end of anti-wizard persecution and after wizards no longer have any reason to have any doings with muggles (and new tools to avoid detection if their doings are dastardly), and for others, an ultimate high point, when some wizards have not fully learned to separate themselves entirely from their muggle neighbours.

I'm intending on playing an OC; you can play an OC, or a canon char changed to fit the time setting (I have to say I have a weakness for the Weasleys in general. They're just fantastic characters. Newt Scamander might also be a fun one). However, please no Harry Potters, because I don't want to pursue a Voldemort-related plotline too parallel to the books.

Not interested in romance, but very interested in themes of friendship and possibly adoptive family.

If you want to take this RP to the setting of Hogwarts, I request that we start during the summer or winter break.

I don't want to give too many spoilers to what I have planned besides the setting, but probably best you have some idea: my OC will be a young muggle who, not unlike a Squib, does not fully fit into either the muggle or wizarding worlds -- he is a nonmagical person and has no capability to generate magic in him, but has an unsurpressable sensitivity to magic which makes it difficult to impossible for him to miss it as most muggles do; this sensitivity is barely documented among wizards, and completely unheard of from a muggle. At present he is a vagrant (homeless), pretending to be a muggle among muggles and a wizard among wizards.

I would be open to doing this as a group RP, just more hesitant because group RPs for me have tended to die before the first page was done.

A very small idea, but, I can expand. M/C is a pure-blood (This is set in Britain, right? As much as I did love the newest movie, I still prefer the old ones) of an old line which was slowly starting to die off. he or she (Don't mind playing whichever) somehow ends up in muggle London, where he or she bumps into Y/C and they recognize my characters magic. Since muggles aren't allowed in Hogwarts, I don't think it would be wise to have it set around Hogwarts.

A very small idea, but, I can expand. M/C is a pure-blood (This is set in Britain, right? As much as I did love the newest movie, I still prefer the old ones) of an old line which was slowly starting to die off. he or she (Don't mind playing whichever) somehow ends up in muggle London, where he or she bumps into Y/C and they recognize my characters magic. Since muggles aren't allowed in Hogwarts, I don't think it would be wise to have it set around Hogwarts.

This would be set in Britain, yes; I loved Fantastic Beasts and its treatment of a muggle as an Actual Character rather than an obstacle or plot device is probably what inspired this idea, but the 1700s setting in uhm... the colonies... doesn't appeal to me as much as putting it in England.

How historically accurate where you wanting to go with this?

So that's a good question! (Which I'm about to answer in waaay too much detail.)

I'll be the first to admit, the early 1700s are not my greatest strength when it comes to historical knowledge. I know way more about the 1800s, but that's too late for the emphasis on "wizardry wasn't secret from muggles within living memory, if not with our chars, then the previous generation" sort of idea I had going. But I also don't like to set stuff in a historical era and act like the era's not important. So... not to get too philosophical and detailed about it, but! I figure it depends on the type and severity of anachronism:

-Anachronisms of dress (e.g. chars dressing too modern or too old-fashioned): I'm a costumer so this does tend to hurt me right in the soul, but I also am aware that most people are -not- costumers IRL so I'm going to be pretty lax. Just don't go crazy, all right? Common sense.

-Anachronisms of technology: I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge here. Just remember, this is post clockwork, geared mechanisms, though they're still primarily the domain of the rich, but before the boom of steam and electricity, and we'll probably be fine. The Wizarding World will be pretty much on the same level as the muggle world tech-wise; they pretty much got frozen in terms of non-magical tech after the Statute of Secrecy, but how far behind the wizarding world will become isn't yet evident.

-Anachronisms of character: These are almost unavoidable. No matter the historical setting, characters tend to have more modern views on society, race, sex, etc as fed by their author. I'm just going to accept that it's going to happen and that I'm no exception to the rule, but if you want to try to be more accurate you're welcome to.

-Anachronisms of speech: Surprisingly I'm like a billion percent fine with our chars speaking in a relatively modern fashion, just try not to put any figures of speech which are too blatantly unfitting in, esp. if they reference modern pop culture or tech.

... i know that was like way too much detail. but. wanted to get it all out there

Sounds good. I had an idea that I thought might be interesting to play with as an organization ( that might even be able to work with the above character if you want to open this up to a 1x1x1 )

So the idea I have is for a group of people ( kind of a loose organization in the sense that they all have sort of the same talent and vaguely know one another but not in a really tight knit - this is a government office kind of way ) As i understand it this would take place in the very beginning of the Ministry of Magic so their probably in the process of going from sort of a loose good ole boy network to being an actual registered entity.

Anyway the group are known collectively as Gallows Cats. Because they tended to be found around a lot of hangings/burnings/etc in their line of work and the individuals are said to be as many lived as a cat.

They are essentially Witch/Wizard finders. They all have a gift for tracking those people with magics ( or possibly just the use of magic depending on the person ) and they tend to come to the aid of the witch or wizard imprisoned or endangered by muggles. They also famously worked with Hogwarts forming a "Changling Network" which found children with magic that were abandoned or abused by their muggle caretakers.

Now obviously people with this talent would be in high demand at the beginning after the Statute of Secrecy as they are used to tracking down the use of magic / magical persons in trouble. I imagine a lot of their work would sort of be translated in the modern era into the Misuse of Magic Office. For instance the ability to tag the use of magic by minors would likely been discovered by some descendant of a Gallows Cat. ( now i'm willing to flesh this out if you think it doesn't work I just thought it was a cool idea and one that could work into your story )

Now my idea was that my character would be a Gallows Cat who sort of assumes your character is one too. Remember in the beginning they're not really a regulated body so it's possible that M/C just assumes yours has been undercover or just they never met. Especially since sensing magic would sort of be a Gallows Cat ability. So they just kind of drag your character along into the ministry all - they're recruiting heavily mate and it's not a half bad gig. And all the while completely unaware that your character is a muggle ( maybe thinking they're a squib or something and being too polite to mention it )

Sounds good. I had an idea that I thought might be interesting to play with as an organization ( that might even be able to work with the above character if you want to open this up to a 1x1x1 )

So the idea I have is for a group of people ( kind of a loose organization in the sense that they all have sort of the same talent and vaguely know one another but not in a really tight knit - this is a government office kind of way ) As i understand it this would take place in the very beginning of the Ministry of Magic so their probably in the process of going from sort of a loose good ole boy network to being an actual registered entity.

Anyway the group are known collectively as Gallows Cats. Because they tended to be found around a lot of hangings/burnings/etc in their line of work and the individuals are said to be as many lived as a cat.

They are essentially Witch/Wizard finders. They all have a gift for tracking those people with magics ( or possibly just the use of magic depending on the person ) and they tend to come to the aid of the witch or wizard imprisoned or endangered by muggles. They also famously worked with Hogwarts forming a "Changling Network" which found children with magic that were abandoned or abused by their muggle caretakers.

Now obviously people with this talent would be in high demand at the beginning after the Statute of Secrecy as they are used to tracking down the use of magic / magical persons in trouble. I imagine a lot of their work would sort of be translated in the modern era into the Misuse of Magic Office. For instance the ability to tag the use of magic by minors would likely been discovered by some descendant of a Gallows Cat. ( now i'm willing to flesh this out if you think it doesn't work I just thought it was a cool idea and one that could work into your story )

Now my idea was that my character would be a Gallows Cat who sort of assumes your character is one too. Remember in the beginning they're not really a regulated body so it's possible that M/C just assumes yours has been undercover or just they never met. Especially since sensing magic would sort of be a Gallows Cat ability. So they just kind of drag your character along into the ministry all - they're recruiting heavily mate and it's not a half bad gig. And all the while completely unaware that your character is a muggle ( maybe thinking they're a squib or something and being too polite to mention it )

So I kind of like the idea and the level of detail and thought you've put into it (holy shit! The ministry was only established 1707, what an insane coincidence that was the exact year I was thinking of setting the RP just so it was under a member of muggle royalty I actually knew stuff about!)

The only concern of mine is, as plot device connected to my char I'd intended for the ability to intrinsically sense magic to be something very, very rare (and according to canon it kind of has to be, or anyone would have been able to sense something weird about, say, the Marauder's Map, or the enchanted coins used for the DA) -- not something any wizard can do (and literally unheard of among muggles) -- that actually finding hidden magic, be it in a person or an item, is mostly a matter of persuing rumours, and using spells which can expose it in some way. Does that work with your concept?

So I kind of like the idea and the level of detail and thought you've put into it (holy shit! The ministry was only established 1707, what an insane coincidence that was the exact year I was thinking of setting the RP just so it was under a member of muggle royalty I actually knew stuff about!)

The only concern of mine is, as plot device connected to my char I'd intended for the ability to intrinsically sense magic to be something very, very rare (and according to canon it kind of has to be, or anyone would have been able to sense something weird about, say, the Marauder's Map, or the enchanted coins used for the DA) -- not something any wizard can do (and literally unheard of among muggles) -- that actually finding hidden magic, be it in a person or an item, is mostly a matter of persuing rumours, and using spells which can expose it in some way. Does that work with your concept?

Ah yes sorry I didn't explain that part well. I meant for the Gallows Cats to be Witch/Wizard finders in the sense that they track magic. So it would likely be a combination of rumors as you said and just an innate talent for investigatory magic. Possibly in the rare occasion an ability like your character exhibits ( which would reinforce the confusion ).

As I understand it what your character has is more of an innate ability to sense magic in the immediate area. A Gallows Cat is more tracking magic in a long range manner. As again they're going to show up when a witch/wizard is in immediate danger or to help a child that has been using magic in a largely muggle community.

So the ability would be sort of the precursor to what is used to track Under Age Magic in the modern day or if you want a canon example sort of the same charm work that allows Hogwarts to find muggleborn students only less passive.

Ah yes sorry I didn't explain that part well. I meant for the Gallows Cats to be Witch/Wizard finders in the sense that they track magic. So it would likely be a combination of rumors as you said and just an innate talent for investigatory magic. Possibly in the rare occasion an ability like your character exhibits ( which would reinforce the confusion ).

As I understand it what your character has is more of an innate ability to sense magic in the immediate area. A Gallows Cat is more tracking magic in a long range manner. As again they're going to show up when a witch/wizard is in immediate danger or to help a child that has been using magic in a largely muggle community.

So the ability would be sort of the precursor to what is used to track Under Age Magic in the modern day or if you want a canon example sort of the same charm work that allows Hogwarts to find muggleborn students only less passive.

Neato, I'm down for it! Yeah, my char can sense magic only within a certain radius of him, depending on various factors. (It gets complicated. Hopefully the sort of thing that can be clarified through RP.) He actively just... lies and pretends to be a young wizard when he finds himself in the company of magical types. XD

Thanks as I said it's kind of not polished - I didn't think of exactly how the magic would work until you brought it up but you were pretty spot on to my idea.

I was thinking my character could be one of the younger ( like early thirties younger ) Gallows Cats that was apprenticed under the "Old Way" and sort of took a job at the infant ministry because - well why not? A bit of stability and some organization to what would have otherwise been basically a life playing private investigator all across Great Britain.

He's seen as sort of a "House Cat" by a lot of the old guard but he's arguing that it's not a half bad thing to be more regulated. He was trained probably to work with Hogwarts in the Changling Network because they would have been the more 'organized' version of Gallows Cats. The rest being more lone-wolf types ( think kind of quirky less scarred Mad Eye Moody Types ). He'd be really enthusiastic, a strong fan of structure, and totally oblivious to the idea that a muggle could have this kind of magic. As I said just sort of assume maybe your character is a bit of a squib and just not mention it out of politeness.

Sort of think of a less fascist Percy Weasley or Hermione if she hadn't turned into rule breaking bad ass by Harry and Ron.

Oh, excellent. And weirdly, not far off from what I was picturing in the first place... Funny enough my char's ability to sense magic isn't as it might initially appear (an inborn, magical mutation in a muggle) but... well XD Journey's half the fun.

cherrycosmos cherrycosmos , if you're down for the Gallows Cat plot, I think your pureblood concept should work fine, I have no preference as to what gender you play. Trying to think how to bring you into such a plot -- since we were talking about the Ministry being almost an old boy's club at first, perhaps your char might be related to someone in it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back