• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Secrets are Protection

Vatusia

I let myself go 'til I hit the ground
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Twilight was rapidly descending on Carnevale. The street lights and hanging lanterns all slowly waking up as the city grew ever darker. People were gathering around the stalls lining the streets, staring at the wonders that were being sold. One particularly pushy merchant was yelling about the miracle fruit he had brought back from the North. Accra smiled behind his mask, eyes crinkling. Not that any would ever see the false smile behind his mask. But none of the colorful stalls on the main streets held what Accra was out looking for today. No, it was something far more rare and hard to find then some common fruit from the North. The secret keeper was looking to find someone to help him guard his own terrible secrets. With more people cursing his name, the mask wearer needed someone to make sure nothing amiss happened in his own home. And he could think of no one more suited for that then someone whose existence needed to be kept secret.

Which is what drove him forward into the shadowed back lanes of Amryst. Only a slave of a non-human variety would suit his particular needs. Soon, Accra was at the end of the alley. He knocked on the solid wooden door at the back. It opened only a fraction before stopping. "We have business," Accra purred. There was a shuffling behind the door accompanied by whispered words. The mask just grinned back at the blackness shown between the door and frame. After a few aggravating minutes, the door finally opened the full way, spilling jewel-colored light into the alley. A waifish looking woman pulled him inside quickly, before bolting the door shut behind them. She gave Accra a crooked grin before pulling him further into the old, dilapidated building.

"You're just in time, I got some really good stock in. Very rare, you're sure to find something you like." The words were a cackle that had Accra frowning behind his mask. If the old crone couldn't even be bothered to think of the slaves as people, what sort of condition would they be in? The thief let out a heavy sigh, staring at the empty cages as they passed them by. Hopefully, there would be someone for him here that wasn't completely ruined.

More towards the end of the seemingly endless line of cage upon age, a tank was filled to the brim with water, inside a young water nymph chained to the bottom. Cracks and scratches upon the glass indicated she had tried more than once to fight and flee from her captivity, only to fail. It had been weeks since Avalon had seen her home in the northern rivers; she knew how dangerous the world could be, but she was curious to a fault. She ventured too far out and was captured, and though she tried her hardest to fight, she was outnumbered.

Usually, slaves were kept in poor condition to break their spirits and make them submissive. However, with the rarity of non-humans, with how they were treated with cruelty-- most of all nymphs of any kind, these people who would soon sell her put her into better conditions. Rarer, more well-kept slaves were higher in price after all. She was thinner than she should have been though, a way to let her know she was still worthless; an easy way to make a lot of coin.

The water in her glass tank rippled, as Avalon could feel the footsteps come closer and closer, and with every step taken, her anger rose. She couldn't do much, but the water in her tank began to boil and steam from her anger. If she had the chance, she would fight, fight until her last dying breath, for death was a fate better than slavery.

It had taken only a few minutes to get past the human cages, but those few minutes had Accra convinced that he wouldn't find a suitable slave in this particular market. He was just about to excuse himself from the old bat to find a different slave trader when they came upon the non-humans. These subjects were much better treated. This fact alone pleased the thief. The fact that the crone seemed to light up when they entered the section did not. She was going to try to charge more for the simple fact that these slaves were in much better condition then the sorry excuses they had just passed. Accra's eyes narrowed behind his mask at the back of the woman. "These beauties are my prized stock. They go so quickly though if you want one you'll have to scoop it up now." Again the words were a cackle. She really was going to attempt to swindle him out of his money then.

In a pleasant tone, Accra answered back "we shall see." The thief wasn't about to let someone else steal from him. That would null the point of this visit. However, there were some interesting non-humans among the crone's selection. There was a redcap, a growling cat-eared boy, a pixie with hair spun of gold, and a hobgoblin chewing on something Accra really didn't want to contemplate. But upon closer inspection, each was flawed in some irredeemable way. The redcap was sitting in a pile of scalps, the cat-eared boy was blind in one eye, the pixie had a broken wing, and the hobgoblin was just not something Accra wanted in his home. "Is this all you have? Because if so, you really shouldn't be bragging," he laughed, but they had the desired effect on the old woman. She instantly sneered at the masked man before stalking further down the aisle towards a glass tank. Accra watched as she slammed a hand on the tank, directing the thief's attention to the blonde haired girl inside.

"This here is a water nymph. Not too many pass through the doors of any of the shops around here. This creature here is a rare beauty and only a fool would walk away from an opportunity such as this," she spat. Accra grinned behind his mask. She may not realize it, but the patron of this filth hole was already in his pocket. The thief sauntered over, leaning in towards the tank to get a good look at the nymph. Upon closer inspection, her hair had green and blue hues instead of the typical gold. She was beautiful even if she was underfed. And a nymph would serve his purposes wonderfully. "And how much would you expect to get from a rare, malnourished, defiant nymph? Look at her, she obviously has not been trained at all! A feral like this shouldn't even be out on the floor! Whoever gets you your stock has obviously given you a slave who would rather kill her master than serve!" The crone backpedaled a small step. It didn't take her long to regain her sense and glare a hole into Accra's mask. "I will take her for half your price! I don't even know if she can be outside her tank, let alone if she can be of any use other than for her beauty!"

"Half the price?!" The old woman barked, nearly laughing. "You have to be daft if you think I'll let you pretty much walk away with such a rarity in near perfect condition." She told him, shaking her head. This man was a fool if he thought he'd get her cheap. "I'll take 200 gold coins off of her price but that is all-- and that's already fairly generous of me, wouldn't you say?" She asked. The water nymph was far too rare and valuable for her to just give her away for cheap.

In her tank, the water came to a complete boil as the two seemingly discussed her fate. Avalon hated it. But, she did have an idea. An idea that would hopefully let the other magical creatures escape with their lives. Taking a breath, Avalon calmed herself, the water stopping boiling and going back to its cool temperature. She'd calm herself, overhearing the man speak. She would be subservient as need be if it meant her freedom. But there was no guarantee that she would be so nice after she left this hell of hers. She wanted to stand, show the man in front of her that she was fine out of water, but since she was chained up, there was no way she could.

"If you're looking for cheep freaks, pick any other of the creatures! I'm sure whatever you're planning, they'll be just as good as the beauty here." The old bat said, crossing her arms stubbornly, not wanting to budge.

And the trap had sprung. "I'll take her for that two hundred gold off." Accra shifted his arm, letting a gold pouch drop from within his sleeve into his palm. He had barely offered the pouch out towards the hag before she had scooped it up. She greedily counted as guards appeared from nowhere. They began the process of getting the nymph out of her tank. Accra gave one last look to the girl before looking back to the crone. "Do we have a deal?" The crone only laughed and held out her hand. The thief shook the outstretched hand, before pulling the old woman close. With his mask by her ear, Accra chirped out "oh and I'm sure your supplier will love to hear about the conditions that some of your prized stock is in. I think there was an agreement that the non-humans were not to be damaged in any way?" She pulled back neigh instantly, staring at the mask as if looking for answers. When she got none, she let out a horribly high pitched shriek. Accra chuckled before turning back towards the nymph. "Come, dearie, we should probably get you out of here before her landlord shows up~!" The thief wrapped an arm around the nymph before guiding her forward. If she fell, he would be able to catch her and if the crone or her goonies came after them, he would be in place to stop them. "Once we get outside, I trust you won't run off. It is Carnevale and a pretty thing such as yourself would be scooped up by someone worse than that witch back there in an instant," he purred. If she was still stupid enough to run, then he would be better off with better help anyway.

Avalon found it amusing when the old lady screamed out. At what, she didn't know, but it was amusing nonetheless. As she was lifted from her tank, the chains undone, the man lifted her up. She was naked, vunerable, and whether or not she admitted it, she was scared. She stepped away from the man only for a moment, snatching the keys to the cages and setting her friends free. The woman screamed as her prizes catches ran, the lot faster than what the guards could run. What a fitting fate that the witch was left with nothing, Avalon thought.

She made her way back to the man's side with no fuss, no noise made. This would be her chance to be safe, and hopefully in better conditions. She knew of the cruelty of men, but this one seemed different. Not kind, but cunning. She had a feeling this man had a scheme of some sorts, and the idea both frightened her, and excited her.

Accra laughed as his new slave let loose all the other slaves that the old bat had been mistreating. It would seem that the girl had a mind of her own. That would serve her well. But for now, they needed to get her something to cover up with. There should be a vendor outside somewhere selling something. However, for the moment one of the dusty sheets laying around this pathetic excuse for a shop would have to do. Right before they exited, Accra grabbed a sheet. He let it air for a second. Dust fell visibly from the sheet. Nevertheless, he drapped the sheet around the nymph. "It's disgusting, but until we find something else, this will have to do. If you see something that catches your eye in one of the stalls, do let me know." With that, he pushed the girl out of the shop and into the darkened alley.

Festival lights gleamed from the entrance of the alley, lighting the path towards the main street. Accra could still hear the woman screaming in the shop even by the time they were at the end of the alley. A grin crossed his face briefly before he put his arm around the girl's shoulders. "Don't be nervous, it'll only attract attention. If anyone tries to stop you, let me handle it," Accra purred, steering the girl with the arm that was around her shoulders. With any luck, it wouldn't take them long to get through the crowd.

The rags she was put in made her frown. They were dusty, smelly, and just plain uncomfortable. But, she couldn't complain, for it was better than leaving her naked for men to stare. Hopefully she would find something she liked; something shiny and silky, perhaps. She did enjoy shiny things quite alot. So, the man lead her into a darkened alley.

The festival lights were so pretty. So..Alluring, to Avalon. She looked at them with bright, curious eyes, not seeing any lights outside the old woman's home. It felt surreal to her that she was out and walking again, feeling the light night breeze on her skin. However she could feel herself tense up as the man placed his arm around her shoulders, whispering into her ear not to be nervous. She took a deep breath to calm her nerves, and gave him a short nod, letting him guide her. She could feel some stares from the humans around her, all looking at her form. Water Nymphs were extremely rare, known for their beauty. Still, she held her head up high as she was guided through the crowd, hoping to find a proper outfit soon.

The wandering stares of the revelers did not escape Accra's notice. But none of them seemed to be more than staring at a beautiful girl in what was little more than a sheet. That should be easily remedied once they were away from the main part of Carnavale. At least, that's what he hoped. The slave was abnormally beautiful, even if there was no outward sign that she was anything but human. At least there wasn't while she was walking around.

Even with the few people staring at the girl, and the girl marveling at the lantern and paper lights, they made good time through the main mass of people. Soon they were out of the worst of the crowds. Fewer stalls lined the streets now, with the lights above being in less dazzling colors and designs. Accra let his arm fall from the girl's shoulders. Here, if she chose to try to run it would be easy to catch her and there were fewer people to separate them. It wasn't long before the thief spotted a stall carrying clothes of varying quality and type. The young woman tending the stall smiled as they passed. He recognized the older woman sitting beside the stall. "Maggie, it's so nice to see you. I see you have your niece out helping with the stall this year," Accra greeted. The middle-aged woman gave him a tight-lipped smile before looking at the young woman he was accompanying.

"Don't tell me you've gotten into paying for company too boy. I know you're into some questionable things, but that's one thing that even a man such as yourself shouldn't indulge in," she chastised. Accra just laughed and shook his head. The woman gave him a nod and then smiled at the nymph. "Well, then I must assume she's that new servant you were talking to me about. Come, girl, let's get you outfitted in something... Less whatever that thing is."

Avalon stood up straighter as Accra's arm fell from her shoulders; still she did not stray. As they approached the booth, and the man greeted the old lady, Avalon stood behind Accra, not trusting of humans. Though, she could not deny her fascination towards the dresses they had. So, when the woman beckoned for her, she went. Her slender fingers caressed each garment with the utmost caution, feeling the fabric, in awe of the colors. "Silk." She said-- the first indication that she could speak. She wanted something silk, something that felt expensive, that was as cool as the water she so loved.

She lookd back at Accra, her eyes stubborn, once again saying "Silk." In demand of the dress she wanted. She didn't know if the women carried such expensive material, but she knew what she wanted, and would not leave until she got it. So, her eyes wandered over every dress they had, hoping they would have it, perhaps in a shade and color that complimented her complexion.

So the first word that he would hear from his slave was 'silk'. Accra laughed and turned towards Maggie. "It would seem the lady knows what she wants. You wouldn't happen to have any would you my dear?" questioned the thief. The woman shook her head but stood from her perch. Accra watched curiously as she shooed her niece aside and started going through her wares. Colors and different shapes passed under Maggie's skilled fingers, her mouth pulled in a constant frown as she searched. Finally, she grabbed a hold of one of her items, pulling it gently from the rest of the dresses.

She shook it out before letting it dangle from her hands. It was a beautifully simple sheath dress, in a faint pink. "Now I know this isn't silk, but it's a fine dress. Better than that sheet he's got you in. It's light but will keep you warm. Why don't you try it on and see how you like it? While Nina helps you try it on, I'll direct our dear Accra here to the place where he can get you a fine silk gown for you?" Maggie winked at nymph. Nina skittered around the stall, taking the dress from her aunt and holding her hand out to the nymph. Accra gave a glace towards Maggie, before nudging the nymph forward.

"You want silk, you shall have it. You will need more than one dress. You go, I'll find you some other work suitable clothes." Accra turned to the stall then, leaving the nymph with no ear to argue with. Maggie shook her head as she started sorting through her clothing again. Accra just shrugged at the woman before turning his attention to the clothing laid out before him. She would need trousers, tunics, dresses, shoes. Goodness, she would need shoes. Women's shoes was not an are Accra ever expected he would find himself in. The thief of secrets let out a sigh. While he knew the work that would go into this girl, the reality of it was worse then he thought. Hopefully she wouldn't throw a fit about the not silk dress.

The water nymph looked at the dress in displeasure, but with the promise of a silk gown, she didn't put up much of a fuss, besides knocking a few dresses over on 'accident'. She looked over towards Accra, who nudged her towards the younger woman. Rolling her eyes, she walked towards her, taking the girls hand as she lead Avalon to a stall where she could put on the clothes.

Human clothes were strange, thought Avalon, as she struggled to put the garment over her head. Nymph's weren't known to wear clothes after all, however it was crucial if she didn't want people to know she was non human

When the nymph knocked over the clothes, even though she attempted to make it look like an accident, Accra let out yet another sigh. This girl was going to be trouble. The thief could see why the crone had had a tough time selling her. She was difficult. "Maggie, are you sure I can't hire your niece?" Maggie just laughed at him but shook her head. This was an old conversation. As little as Accra trusted people, Maggie, and her family, were as close to trustworthy as he had found. Accra picked up the dresses the nymph had put on the ground. Why she was punishing Maggie, Accra had no clue. Especially when she was going to be getting her way. Just a little bit later than originally intended. The secret thief would need to have a few words with his slave over this behavior.

But Maggie drew his attention back by placing a stack of clothes in front of him. "These should be up to her standards," Maggie chuckled. On top was a note. It read 'you are being followed'. Accra nodded. He'd had a suspicion that something would happen. It wasn't every day the secret thief went out for the public to see. And in the company of a young lass nonetheless. "The silk shop you'll have the best luck with is back into the crowds, unfortunately. Alvyn should be right by the Crow Prince. Maybe take your servant to get some food," Maggie suggested. She winked at the thief before wrapping the clothes up. By the time the nymph got back out, the clothes were all bundled up in twine and ready to go.

Avalon frowned as she was put into the dress, and sighed. She guessed this would have to do. She came out of the stall, and made her way back to Accra's side, looking at the bundle of clothes that they now had. She had to admit, they were incredibly warm, but she wanted silk still. And, she was getting hungrier and hungrier the more they stood outside, smelling food in the air. She tugged on his arm, looking up at him. "Silk tomorrow. Food now." She told him. She had barely been fed at the old woman's place. It'd only be normal for her to be so hungry.

However, out of the corner of her eye, she saw something enticing, something..shiny. There was a jewelry stall right across the way, and Avalon could not resist. With big, curious eyes, she started to wander off towards the stall. Shiny things had never hurt anybody right? Surely it wouldn't do harm if she could just take a peek at the beautiful shiny jewels.

When the girl tugged on his arm, Accra turned towards her. The dress suited her. True it was a simple enough design and color, but it still looked good on the girl. Then again, nymphs looked good in just about anything. Even dressed as plainly as she was, the girl would still attract plenty of attention. But then she managed to get up to four words together. Accra nearly gasped in jest. But if she was hungry enough to stop her pursuit of silk, then perhaps he should be taking this seriously. Accra turned to thank Maggie and pay her. The middle-aged woman just smiled at him and waved him off.

But when Accra turned to guide the nymph towards were they would be getting food, he noticed that the blonde was no longer by his side. Accra's eyes narrowed. Hadn't he told her to not wander off. Perhaps they wouldn't be going to get her any silk dresses after all. Masked eyes inspected the street they were on, looking for blonde hair tinged with blue and green. It didn't take long for him to find her. By a jewelry stall. Of course, the girl obsessed with silk would also want something shiny and expensive to around her neck. Before Accra could go over to chastise the girl, he caught sight of someone beelining for her. Amateur. Accra slid through the crowd, careful to keep an eye on the nymph and the person following her. When the stalker stopped, so did Accra. Just as the amateur was reaching for the nymph, Accra grabbed their shoulder. "I would suggest leaving. Let the girl look at her jewelry in peace," Accra hummed. The person spooked, running off as quickly as they could. It didn't matter. The thief would find out who was getting too curious soon enough. "I thought you said you wanted food first. Last I checked, shiny objects weren't usually considered food~!"

"Want." She said, staring at the Jewelry in awe. Never before had she seen so many shiny, pretty things together in one place. "Food now. Shiny now." She said, wanting both of the things she longed for at that very moment. She had enough grasp on the human languages to communicate, however since she never spent alot of times around humans, as nymphs were said to do when they were more populated, she never learned how to communicate properly. She didn't care though. So long as she could get across what she wanted, or what she was saying, that was good enough for her.

It seemed as though she had no clue someone was heading straight for her just moments before, though she still felt the stares of people upon her. Part of her enjoyed it; she loved it when people knew how pretty she was, when people complimented her features, or seemed to nervous to go up to her while she was trapped in the giant tank of water. Nobody bought her because she was too expensive, but that doesn't mean a small handful of people didn't come only to gaze at her. However she also hated people staring at her. She knew how sick, how lust filled the mind of humans were, and she knew what a great deal of them would do if she had been alone, if they had the chance to have their way.

They were up to six different words now. But the new words didn't exactly thrill Accra. This girl obviously didn't understand her position as a slave. "My dear, I would not spend this much money in one day on a single person if they were my romantic partner. Perhaps you should remember where you were not long ago and think long and hard about all these wants of yours," Accra hissed. A strong hand wrapped around the girl's arm. He didn't want to have to resort to pulling the girl away, but she seemed to be easily forgetting that she was not entitled to all of the thief's money. Already though, the aggressive move of grabbing the young, seemingly innocent, girl was drawing unwanted attention from the few festival goers on this street.

The thief let out a sigh as he gently pulled the nymph aside, away from the eavesdropping ears. "Now, I've told you not to run off. You've already done that. I have bought you clothes, allowed you to free those others, and personally ensured that the old witch who was holding you will never sell a thing again. I want you to understand something here, you are not going to get everything you want whenever you want it," Accra scolded. He looked down at the nymph, taking in her haggard appearance. She had no doubt had it hard, being captured then marketed as a slave. "How about we make a deal. You serve me, not as a slave, but as a servant. You will earn a wage, I will train you, and you shall do what I ask. We will take the price I paid that miserable old hag as a loan. When you can pay me off, you are completely free. Until that point, I will provide you with food, shelter, and basic necessities. Anything else is up to you. Should you not accept this deal, I will treat you as what I bought you as. A willful, trapped nymph far away from her home." Accra stared into the nymph's eyes through the holes in his mask. She would be the one to choose her path. Not him.

God forbid he ever have a romantic partner, if he never spoiled them, Avalon thought. He talked as though what she wanted was poison in disguise, as if her desires were revolting. Which, she supposed could be true, considering he would be the one buying it. No one truly enjoys spending money on another person, she found. Sure, people did it to see loved ones happy, but when the pockets are empty, the humans get sad. She frowned though, as he grabbed her arm, and instinctively she stomped on his foot and pulled herself away. With what she had been through, she didn't want anyone touching or grabbing her so roughly ever again.

He took her arm again, this time gently pulling her away, telling her she wouldn't get everything she wanted. She pouted, thinking the man thought her stupid. She knew well enough she wouldn't get everything she wanted, but that didn't mean she wouldn't say what she wanted and not get upset when she couldn't have it. But, at the mention of a deal, her eyes brightened. Deals had always excited her. Servitude in exchange for her freedom is what it had boiled down to. Well, she couldn't say no to that. So, she nodded, saying "Ok" As her confirmation.

Accra let out a sigh. She had accepted the deal. Hopefully, that would make her act a little less like his mistress and more like the servant he wanted her to be. "Now I promised you silks, and tomorrow we shall get them. Tonight, we will head home before we attract any more attention," Accra hummed. He wanted off the streets. The nymph needed to know what he did for a living and what was expected of her before he would risk her out in public again. There were already too many eyes on the duo as it was. But this outing had proved useful for getting to know his new servant. She didn't like being forced, but she liked to make deals. She liked material things. And most of all, she was willful. Gods was she willful. That would be useful. Willful and stubborn meant she would be less likely to bend over to whoever decided to try to bribe her. However, Accra would need to be careful. Her love of expensive things meant she could possibly be bribed.

All of that would have to wait until they got to the privacy of his home. Accra gently placed his arm around the nymph's shoulders, steering her towards the residential district. The thief waved as they passed Maggie again, before heading further from the revelries. It took a good couple of minutes before Accra was sure that they weren't being followed anymore. At least not by amateurs. Accra began the winding, back street approach to home. It didn't take long before Accra stopped in front of one of the row houses on this block. It wasn't anything special to look at, but it was his. He stepped around the girl to quickly open the door and usher her inside. Inside it was almost completely bare. The thief hardly ever used the bottom two floors. It was the top level where he stayed and did business. Accra turned back towards the nymph and held out one hand to the girl. This would be her home for as long as she could serve Accra. Secrets were his trade, and he now needed someone to help him keep his own. Hopefully, she would be the one to help with that.

With the Confirmation she'd get her silks the next day, Avalon gave a pleased smirk. With her head held high, she let him guide her away. No longer did she care if people watched, too happy she'd get the luxury she desired always. He lead her down a winding dark path, the night bringing various noises that had her humming an eerily beautiful tune and having a skip in her step.

He brought her to an unimpressive, almost bare home, and she frowned. Her old home was sparkling, dazzling, and this.. Was utterly depressing. But, it was her home now. He held out a hand towards her, and slowly and hesitantly, she took it. She didn't know what her new life had in store, but she was willing to find out.

There was hesitation in the nymph's eyes as she stepped inside the house. He couldn't blame her, but it wasn't like she had much of a choice. She was a slave, there was nowhere safe for her to go. This was not a forgiving city behind the smiling masks and bright colors. "The bottom two floors are never used. If you'd like to spruce them up, I will pay for furnishings. I'm afraid I have no eye for things outside of their use in my trade. There is a spare room on the third floor if you want to use that. The third floor is where I stay and where all my work is. No one besides you is allowed up there. Ever. If anyone tries to get to the third floor, you are to get them out of the house using any means necessary. Then alert me," Accra listed. His tone was flat as he closed the door. He turned back to the girl, holding the parcel of clothes out to her. "I'm Accra. That's all of my name you need to know. House rules are as follows. Do not go into my study unless I am in there. Anything you need to bring in there just drop by the door. Do not at any time try to remove my mask. Again, no one on the third floor. You are to look after the house. You don't need to cook if you don't wish, you don't need to clean if you don't wish. I may ask you to go get things in town. Let me know if you are having any problems." Accra stepped towards the stairs. Light from the candle in the doorway barely spread to the middle of the stairs.

His mask grinned back at the nymph. He was leaving out the danger that could come from working for him. Accra didn't want to freak the girl out completely. Tomorrow, if she was still here, then Accra would explain what he did and why people were after him. For now, food was probably the only concern on the girl's mind. "So how about you tell me how you ended up in a tank as a slave while I fix us food," Accra suggested. He was already heading up the dark stairs. He knew this house like the back of his hand. Two flights of stairs up and everything was lit up more. While he had been out longer than planned, he hadn't been out long enough for the candles to burn down. Accra headed to the room directly by the stairs. His kitchen was sparse, but at least there was a table and chairs. He would wait until she got up the stairs to figure out what they would eat. For now, he stoked the fire in the stove and place another log in the old metal beast.

The term 'slave' usually meant doing chores for someone, like cooking and cleaning. However, the man, who had introduced himself as Accra, told her she needn't do those if she didn't want to. Confusing, she thought, for what else did it mean to watch over the house? But, she didn't mind. She would definitely have to clean and decorate, the house being so dreadfully depressing. Too much so for her liking. Once she took a look at her room, she would then decide what else she would need to decorate, and make a list for Accra. The nymph followed him up the stairs, being careful of where she stepped, sitting down at the table.

When he had asked her how she had gotten captured, she frowned angrily. "I was by my river. I was happy, and calm, and I was singing. I love to sing. My river is no where near your human villages, but humans are curious and greedy to a fault. They lured me in with some sort of..glowing light. Like none I had ever seen. Not a lantern, nor a torch..It was something far prettier than that. I followed it, and they ambushed me. We nymphs appear more..fish like in the water, so they trapped my in a glass tank to make sure I was as they thought I was. I took three of those bastards out, but I was still over powered. As exceedingly rare and beautiful we nymphs are, we would go for much money. That would make one think they would treat any non-human well, to sell them for as much as we are worth. But we are non-human, so who cares?" She said, angrily. It was apparent she could speak fluently, but she usually did not, unless she had to. Why would she waste her breath if she could get her point or thought or need across with only one word?

A river nymph then. One who had been captured specifically to be sold to the highest bidder. And yet she had ended three lives. No wonder she was at that hell hole where Accra had found her. "Now that I know a bit about you, how about you tell me a name? That way I'm not referring to you as girl or nymph. Also, being non-human, are there any needs I should be aware of? I'm not going to find you sleeping in the bathtub, will I?" Accra mused. Though if she did sleep in the tub, that would certainly prove amusing. The thief set a bowl of grapes and juniper berries in front of the nymph. "Do you want fish or just that? I also have some bread around here somewhere." Accra turned towards his icebox and pulled out a slice of fish. He laid the uncooked meat on the stove, hearing the satisfying sizzle of food cooking. The icebox and the metal stove sat on the wall by the hall, with the cabinets behind the door and the table against the opposite wall. Accra liked sitting by the windows, it made watching whoever was watching him much easier. But now, Accra was glad that the dusty curtains were drawn over the windows. The last thing that the thief needed was someone already catching on to the nymph's presence in his home. Perhaps he would need to teach the girl some sort of defense. There were a lot of things he might need to teach the girl about.

He asked for a name, and after a moment of silence, she told him. "Avalon. Avalon is my name. And just the fruit will do for now." She told him, taking the bowl greedily and picking at it. "I can go with out water for long periods of time, but that being said, I still need it. With out it, I wither out, my skin cracking. I'd rather that not happen." She told him. Looking out the window, she tilted her head curiously, her long, golden curls following the moment. "You live alone." She noted. "I thought all humans lived in packs." She muttered. She didn't know much about the human world, but that much she was certain of. Whenever she did have the rare occasion of seeing humans, they were always in packs of no less than three. The only time there were less was when they were lost children, those of which she always helped find their way home.

Avalon was talking even more now. Perhaps with the offer of working to get herself free, she had decided that Accra wasn't so bad. It would certainly make living with her easier. The fish continued to sizzle in the pan. It would also seem that she had a liking for fruit. This, along with the new information about her drying out, provided Accra with more information about what he would be in for. "My tub isn't very big. I can arrange to get something large enough for you to fit in that's what you require," Accra hummed. The thief wasn't sure he could broach the topic of why he lived alone yet with Avalon. But it was amusing how she thought all humans lived in packs. "Do nymphs usually like with other of their kind or alone?" It never hurt to have too much information. Especially about things that the general public had no idea about. Perhaps he should start taking notes on Avalon and sell them to the local university. If he was feeling nice, maybe he would even apply what he got to the debt she owed.

Accra looked down at his fish and deemed it cooked. He grabbed a near-by plate and slid his food on to it. The pan was deposited in a wash basin, where it caused steam to rise from the water. The thief sat across from the nymph, moving the curtains just enough to look out at the street below. There wasn't anyone down there, but that didn't mean that they weren't being watched. "Do you have any other questions to ask me, dear Avalon?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back