Secret Projects of the Realm

Fascinating, hmm, I really like that. But yeah, I had about the same reaction when my Solars squared off with a bunch of mortals who all looked the same. Man it was eerie and tense all at once. Thank Heavens that game ended where it did, far worse things lie in that lab. Especially "The Program," now that would have been fun, fun.

In the last game I ran, the Realm backed by their Sidereal master, used "Jade Suns", which essentially was tactical nukes, to carpet bomb Gem after First and Forsaken Lion at conquered the city. This was of course only to finish him off and kill the champions they had sent to slay him. Best leave no witnesses, that way it is easier to rewrite history. Ohh the look in those poor dragon-bloodeds' faces when they realised that they where never expected to return alive. Well 20 exalts and fivehundred mortal elites is a small price to pay for taking a Deathlord out of action.

Ealier in the same game, FaFL launched a surpise assault on Lord's Crossing. In order to keep his forces at bay untill reenforcements could arrive, the leaders of house Tepet activated the towns ancient mystical defences. They consisted of a network of manse-temples manned by especially trained monks and savants. These channeled the essence of the land and the prayers of the citizens into a holy barrier around the town. This restricted FaFL to only using his mortal troops to assault the walls, as his undead units where burned to cinders, when they approced the town.

I've been playing with an idea in my head for a while that would have ridiculous consequences.  What if the Realm DBs and Sidereals figured out a way to use their manses to direct the flow of essense along dragonlines and cut off essense flow from small portions of the world.

Say, for instance a particularly troublesome circle of Solars (like the Bull of the North's) took over a single manse.  The Realm could cut off essense flow to the area surrounding the manse.  

But what would the consequences be?  Would it disrupt the balance of creation?  Could it kill all living (all beings have essense) things in that area?

Also, what would happen to all of that displaced essense?  There would have to be a massive discharge somewhere along the line, or all of the manses involved in the redirection would be more powerful during the event.

Really, it's just an idea that I've been playing with that doesn't stand very well with convention.  But if someone could justify it working, or just say it works and say to hell with convention, the Realm would have a very large bargaining chip to deal with the newly emerging Solars, especially if they demonstrated it against Thorns and the MoW or some like-powered force.

I think it would kill everything, causing the area to become a massive shadowland. Oops!

-S

This is kinda getting into the physics of Exalted; looking around, it seems to me that essence, like matter, is an odd form of energy, and can be converted into other forms of energy (or into matter) through charms and sorcery. But you can't actually destroy it, unless the Void's involved. You could maybe cut off an essence flow, but there's still going to be essence already there. With essence unable to get in or out, the area'll just settle into its own little essence currents.

A better idea to impliment what you seem to be going for is to drain essence away from an area, redirecting it elsewhere so that there's almost no essence there. Without ambient essence, no magical beings in the area will be able to regain motes through respiration. If the drain was too strong, though, it would indeed kill things. Really too strong, and it'll suck out everything, leaving a big empty space.

Creation's made of the stuff, you see, not out of atoms. Assuming the affect doesn't kill everything/vacuum the place, Charms that regain essence through drinking blood, sitting in a fire, eating your pain, or so on will still work. Hearthstones from Manses that lie outside the affected area will also still function and provide motes.

Battousai said:
far worse things lie in that lab. Especially "The Program," now that would have been fun, fun.
Now it's your turn to elaborate.
Wellllll, I had the crazy idea this Dawn was dreaming up other projects with his Twilight buddy. Both got knocked off, they had been experimenting through several venues. One was the bonding of necromantic essence plus the energies of positive essence, then exposing it to a form of 'radiation' to see what kind of creature they could devise. (see Ruins of Rathess 'The Slitherer') What they got was close to the Phantom creatures from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Boy howdy, would that have been fun.

I had stats and everything ready for them. The second bit I had dreamed up was something akin to the Thousand Forged Dragon Bloods, somewhere else on this forum. I had no idea anyone else had my twisted thoughts. Mine were a bit different, subservient, completely loyal.

The last was just blueprints for a bomb similar in effect to the penultimate Fae killing charm of the Abyssals. Except on a massive scale. Not too original, but good enough. Though I really liked the Phantom bits, hell, I even started hinting that something was wrong, areas around the Manse were getting very creeped out readily. People dying unexplainedly, cattle dying, entire towns dying or vanishing in the night. It was good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back