• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Searching for a dice roleplay

SilverSolis

The Reboot
Hi, I am looking for a fantasy dice roleplay. Haven't used any particular systems yet but i know how to use dice roleplay in general. If you have one can you explain how your dice rolls work? Thanks

For the record, most dice roleplays will have a tab that explains how it works or will use an already established system (like DnD) that will have resources that explain.

However if I can casually advertise a fantasy dice RP I'm in, try Blood Demon Clan. It has a really simple dice system and a pretty open character creation. And the GM, SachiGrl, will pretty happily explain anything you need or want to know (though I suggest reading the Overview and the Settings/Location before asking questions, as a lot is explained between those two tabs). Drop by the OOC tab or send SachiGrl a PM/Conversation.

(:3)

SilverSolis said:
less dark, though still fantasy
Hm, dark is not how I'd have described it. Certainly not in the 'dark and gritty' sense anyway ( :P ) Do you maybe have some examples of stuff you like? (Anime, tv shows, books, etc?)

I'd be interested in helping you start a fantasy Dice RP if you give examples like above :)

Last edited by a moderator:
some Examples of Genres Rather than systems

Dungeons and Dragons and its various retroclones, there are 5 editions where you literally spend 3 hours making a character and roll d20s to see how well you kill things and take their stuff. 5th edition is the only edition that encourages character concept by including a background system that gives you skills and plot hooks, note that Urchin and Criminal are Broken Backgrounds. 5e has the simplest rules of all 5 editions. other famous titles in this Genre include Pathfinder and Dungeon Crawl Classics. best 5e Race is the Half-Elf

World of Darkness, essentially a pulpy fantasy game in modern first world country earth, complete with computers and smart phones, instead of playing elves and dwarves, you play vampires, werewolves, changelings and other monsters from Victorian Horror Novels. generally, powers have responsibilities attached to them, and based on how powerful your character is compared to most mortals, it feels often like you can get away with more things than you could in real life. even though storytelling is the systems claimed pride, it devolved into an amazing system for playing homicidal transient orphans with katanas, motorcycles and desert eagles

Shadowrun, a pulpy fantasy genre set in the near future, with cybernetic implants, tolkein style fantasy races, magic, and the struggle between living in luxury or having better cyberware, most characters would rather have the implants than the money, most shadowrunners are homicidal transient orphans with vibrating katanas

Fallout, a Pulpy Fantasy Series in a post apocalyptic humanocentric world with no magic or psionics, and extremely limited character choices, but yeah, you get to fire nukes at people

Conan the Barbarian, essentially, you play in a gritty humanocentric world where spellcasters have to hide from most governments and where the best warriors run around in leather diapers

Game of Thrones, essentially, a gritty political fantasy world with a massive mortality rate and lots of death

You're describing cWoD there - don't forget there's now the mechanically superior and arguably more coherent new World of Darkness, which is definitely not pulpy.unless you choose to make it so.

The prevalence of muderhobos is a GM/Player problem and legacy of D&D. Thanks, D&D.

Questions about it would be answered there, yes. But Pathfinder is a d20 system, attempting to refine 3.5 into a more balanced interlinked system.

A lot of stuff is available on the pathfinder srd.

Pathfinder is a Table top Role play system for medieval high-fantasy adventure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, to properly Explain Pathfinder, it is a modified retroclone of Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition. i will explain a few of the problems i have experienced with pathfinder

Wizards, Clerics and Druids are Demigods and the Arcanist is a halfhearted attempt to reign the wizard in that merely encourages more resting., Wizards and Arcanists are masters of support and battlefield control, while clerics and druids can both support to a fairly reasonable lesser extent and still fight better than a fighter when it matters

Fighters, Rogues, Ninja, Monks, Cavaliers and Samurai cannot even attempt to do their jobs properly. a Fighter is useless without their one weapon they sunk all their feats and class features into, a rogue or ninja cannot deal viable damage, even with sneak attack, alongside a large list of creatures that are immune to sneak attacks, and neither rogues, ninja nor monks can even really hit anything, they have a 3/4 Base Attack progression, but are the only 3/4 BA class that has no in class method of boosting their accuracy on a consistent basis. because of this, once they pass level 5, they cannot hit the broadside of a monstrous barn, plus Cavaliers and Samurai outright depend on their mounts, which make them unplayable because you can't bring their mounts to most places

gear is expected to escalate quickly and player characters are expected to have a massive overwhelming advantage against humanoid NPCs, and the fact that offense scales much faster than defense, meaning the game gets more lethal as your level climbs upward, and by levels 8-12, you are already playing tag with nuclear rocket launchers

skill bonuses scale faster than skill DCs, essentially, the only balanced skill checks are those opposed by other skill checks

perception is a must have skill,

every smart martial character leans towards the 2handed weapon with the high critical chance, or the composite longbow,

Pathfinder is the Game of "i raid the underground complex as i murder the denizens and take their stuff to claim for myself like a transient homicidal psychopath." in fact, the odds are more stacked in the favor of the transient homicidal psychopath than the monsters due to how easy it is for a group of player characters to acquire the required items to slay anything due to the escalating loot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back