• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Saviours of Atlea! SoA vs The Lord of Evil!

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Dooplighost

Freak Sheet
The grand hall of Helioway. The monumental ancient building at the centre of the bustling city was one of the grandest attractions for tourists. Despite all the other monuments, unique shops and street performers around Helioway, the grand hall was never short of tourists and adventurers alike. This was because the grand hall was the place the SoA held their party assembly, organisation training facilities, quest board and SoA gift shop. Extra funding couldn’t hurt after all, it was the end of the world they were dealing with! The interior of the hall consisted of a large open space with a tavern-like bar at one side and a large reception on the other side. The red and white checkered floor was illuminated by the sun teeming through the open gaps in the whitish-grey brick walls that acted as windows.

Those floors were busy with people, as usual, but while the variety of people was major they all had one thing in common. They were all being watched, analysed and judged by Blair who was sitting at the edge of the tavern area. "Tourist" she said under her breath as she saw someone with a smile walk by. "Weak, too weak" she said again as another person with a rusty old sword passed her. She was getting impatient until she noticed someone she knew walk in, a holy and well-revered paladin clad in heavy shining armour. "Hi! Fredrick! Buddy! Over here!" She shouted waving her hand above her head violently quickly with a huge smile on her face. Frederick glanced over at her before walking away acting like she wasn't there. Blair scowled and sat back down, giving him the evil eye. She had recently been in his party, he had kicked her out after their first quest together. She'd been kicked out of a lot of parties, and every time she was she'd come back here searching for a new one.

“Don’t you dare turn over here Fredrick. Not after you blank me like that, who even needs you? Huh? Not me. Fredrick? more like Fred-Prick, ha, am I right?” She screamed almost involuntarily and triumphantly as she noticed his turn in her direction. Turns out he wasn’t looking at her but rather waiting for the rest of his party to walk in, that included a new female teenage mage who was definitely taller than Blair. An embarrassed Blair sat back down quietly still trying to look confident in a hall of maybe a dozen or so people staring directly at her now.

"You know he’s a pretty nice guy Blair, I wouldn’t use your words to describe him at all so no, funnily enough, for once the legendary pyrophile is not right." The owner of the tavern said to her as he put her usual cola order on the table she was sitting at. She turned her blushing face over to meet his.
“Give it a rest Hendrick, don’t make me think you’re even more of a Hend-Prick than I know you are.” she said laughing to herself before taking a sip of her drink. “You know, it wasn’t funny the first time Blair, just go find another party by tonight please, I don’t want have to keep this open for you again.” Blair pulled a face a him before going back to waiting and watching the entrance to the grand hall like a hawk.

Hendrick knew her well, she'd always come here after being kicked out. They have had many conversations in the past and had grown to be good friends out of it all. He often put up with her temper half because he felt bad for her and half because he knew he was the only real friend she had. He knew about the Red Pearl and had told her about how much more effective she’d be without it, she’d shunned him every time and all he could really hope to do was pray that common sense hit her about it.

Blair hoped she’d spotted another mage as she sat there drinking her cola growing more frustrated by the minute. Another mage was always the perfect one to show off to. Though by how the quality of adventurers were looking today she'd have settled for anyone that looked like they knew how to fight with anything. "Please let the next person be good, please let the next person be good..." She whispered to herself continuously and increasingly quietly as her expression changed into one of determination to finally be accepted and kept in a party.

Sir Ainslie Patrick Vandlwood bones shook with the wagon as he rode to his next and final destination "so, the SoA huh? Do you really think thats a good idea for someone that looks like you?" His new friend had asked, the child had been running away with his mother, she had sacrificed herself so he could get onto this cheep and broken wagon, but the kid was strong so Sir Ainslie Patrick Vandlwood was not worried for the childs future "of course, all those strong, scared people will adore my music and charm younge one" the skeleton replied with a non existent wink "yeah, ok, whatever you say mister"

The wagon stopped and it was the skeletons time to go "goodbye young one, I must leave you to go on your own adventure, I wish you health" the skeleton waved as the wagon moved forward once again "bye!" The child waved back enthusiastically "good luck" the child screamed, Sir Ainslie Patrick Vandlwood would have smiled if he had lips.

The place was bustling with life, which made Sir Ainslie Patrick Vandlwood stand out greatly, everything from stares to whispers to even glares were thrown the skeletons way, both intrigue and hate emanating from the work around him "how fun" he thought to himself, humoured by the distrust of the folk that surrounded him. The skeleton searched for a place to set up and play his music.

A church bell solemnly rang as Lothar stood at attention with his head down in respect and his helmet in his hand. The priest gave the last rites and the grave keeper began to cover the coffin with dirt. Quietly sobbing was a woman who no longer had anymore tears to shed after three hours since Lothar had returned with his fallen comrade. They were on a small mission to scout out the Dark Lord's positions in the deserts, a pretty simple and easy job, but little did they know of the magical traps that they had planted in the grounds around their bases. One wrong step then next thing you know a large explosion would blow off your leg and alert the monsters in the region. Lothar barely made it out of there with the body of his partner, but he couldn't just leave the body there to be eaten or to be cooked under the brutal sun. Lothar should have known... and now someone else was dead.

With the burial over, Lothar silently left the graveyard to leave the mournful widow and give her some privacy. It was not his place to try to console her. After all, he was the only one who could have saved her husband. He had no right to try to diminish her sorrow. With this tragic loss, Lothar began to find his way to the SoA headquarters to report what had happened during the mission and how they had lost another one of their brother at arms. It would be a lot of paper work and bureaucracy, but it was something that had to be done...

---

Lothar slumped into a chair by the bar at the tavern. It had been a rough day as he just finished all the paperwork. He forfeited all the rewards for the mission to provide for the new widow. He didn't want to see a single coin from what was a tragic event. He was rarely a client of the tavern as he avoided drinking in general, but today... he needed something. He quietly ordered a cold beer when the bartender approached with caution. Lothar knew that many at the tavern were likely looking at him. After all, he was in full gear but likely covered in dirt, mud, sweat, and dried blood. If no one knew better, they might even think that Lothar was some sort of monster as well. But, as a relatively long time veteran, Lothar's armor was pretty distinct and well known by most regulars in the SoA. In fact, he probably worked with them at one point or another. But Lothar rarely stuck with the same party for long. He took whatever job was important and that he could do a good job at even if it meant joining or making a new team.

But today... he just wanted some peace and quiet to drink a cold ale... after that... he would be responsible once more and go take a bath or something.

So much noise... Hadriel had never been in the grand hall during this busy hour. Most of his time was spent doing spellcraft away from the public eye, in a study full of alchemically-treated metal blast shields. The blinding sunlight peered through the many windows as he stumbled across the grand hall, among crowds of tourists. Never in his life has he said ‘excuse me’ and ‘pardon me’ so many times.

Soon enough, he found himself among the adventurers, panting and hunched over with his hands resting on his knees. The last time he went on a quest, it had started with some acquaintances coaxing him out of his study and bringing him along; it was unexpected, but also a welcome change. It sparked the smallest degree of confidence in the timid caster, and it cemented his craving for more adventure. Today, he will fulfill that craving.

Last edited:
"Of course, it turned out that I shouldn't have trusted him with the map, after all. I took one look at it after that argument, and all he'd drawn were unflattering sketches of his brother!" Levi chuckled as he finished recounting his tale to a pair of rather unenthused women who had been subject to the rest of the story. They appeared to be seasoned adventurers based on the gear they carried with them. As such, when Levi spotted one of them looking his way - it was the antlers. It was always the antlers - he had taken the opportunity to greet them and meet with some new fellow adventurers. Especially given that his previous party had fallen into discord after the aforementioned map incident.

Leaning against one of the smooth stone walls of the crowded grand hall, Levi took the chance to segue into just that main point. "Of course, that all being said, what of you two? You both seem like talented individuals, but perhaps you'd be looking for some extra help?"

Both of the women exchanged a look between each other before the taller of the two, clad in heavy armor, spoke to answer, "Thanks for the offer, but we've already got plenty of help. We're just waiting for the rest of our group to show up."

"Oh..." Levi frowned slightly in disappointment, idly wiping a bit of the frost that eternally clung to himself off of the collar of his coat. "So I didn't happen to catch your attention when I walked by? Not even the slightest bit?"

"No, I just like your outfit," the smaller of the two women replied.

"I see. So it wasn't even the antlers either, then." Levi held back a sigh, then followed up with, "Well, I should quit bothering the both of you and be on my way, then. Do have a wonderful day!" before turning and walking away from the pair. Disappointed as he was from not having found a new party as of yet, he took a small victory in knowing his fashion sense was still on point. For the time being, he continued to look over the gathered people in the hall, still hoping to spot an opportunity to mingle with a new adventuring party that - hopefully - would be less prone to catastrophic fallout over map shenanigans.

Well, someone noticed the antlers; those familiar, icy antlers. Hadriel waved to the tiefling from across the room upon recognizing him. If the rumors were accurate, this Levi guy joined about a year ago. No doubt, that was the young man Hadriel’s parents warned him about five years prior. Perhaps both gentlemen were evading their families by seeking adventure.

Defying the fire-and-brimstone preaching he had heard in his youth, the aasimar moved in to meet Levi halfway. “Woe upon you; you seem rather glum, Levi,” he pointed out in a light, compassionate tone. His skin was covered, save for his hands and face, which did seem to exude a glow independent of the sun beaming into the room. If only he knew of the search for a literate person to read the maps; he would certainly volunteer to fill that role, as well as the part of the healer.

Levi's attention was caught by a familiar figure amongst the numerous other people that occupied the hall. "Hadriel?" he said after being spoken to. "Well, I hadn't thought I'd run into you today! Was it so obvious that something's amiss?" Despite that, his disappointment faded and was replaced by a cheerful smile at having run into someone he already knew even the slightest bit.

"Truthfully speaking, I had encountered a bit of difficulty with my previous adventuring party - one person says something condescending, another uses our map as a canvas to express their discontent, suddenly the rest of the group has devolved into squabbling with each other - the usual sort of thing. At any rate, once we had returned here, I thought it would be best to seek out some new companions to work with. Unfortunately, it seems that's easier said than done." Levi paused in his explanation of his day to look over the gentle man before him. "But, what of you, Hadriel? If I may ask of course. If you're here in the hall, perhaps you've found some companions of your own?"

Hadriel chuckled and nodded along, entertained by the lively recap of antics past. “Well, I ruled it best to come out of hiding to find a team, as well. No luck yet, but the day is young, and I’m sure plenty of people need a healer on their side.” He shrugged innocently, his words drawn out as though he was hinting at something.

Sir Ainslie Patrick Vandlwood walked around the area, pace slow and strut soft, he was intrigued by all the small scratches and marks, indicators of history and conflict. He wondered how this history came to be but found the answer in the people, warriors and wizard's, knights and healer's. trouble follows these people and so do the whispers of the past, much like the widows and orphan's he had played for before, except now he will play for them and not their spouse and children.

Sir Ainslie Patrick Vandlwood set up near a corner, a place where people can crowd around him but not get behind him. He always loved when he started playing and people came to watch, how the children's eyes would widen and the mothers shoulders would relax, even for a second, but Vandlwood suspected that people would also come to watch more then just his playing of music.

Sir Ainslie Patrick Vandlwood rolled out a rug onto the floor, originally he would use it for comfort but now it was simply for the experience. Vandlwood stepped onto the rug, he was already gaining a crowd, and got out his dry sticks, people tensed, and his drum, they relaxed.

"hello and welcome! My name is Sir Ainslie Patrick Vandlwood and today I will be playing for the people of SoA !" The audience don't seem impressed but the skeleton is unfazed by the tough crowd and starts drumming, starting in slow thumps, rising up and getting quicker, his audience watch with mildly hostile curiosity.

Blair’s eyes lit up when she finally found what she was looking for. Yes, an actual warrior. A well known one at that, Blair didn’t quite remember his name but the armor he wore was something she couldn’t forget. It was beyond distinct and its different pieces went together almost perfectly. Though today it was looking as if this noble knight had been fighting The Lord of Evil himself. And lost. Badly. Blair went from sipping her drink to rushedly chugging just under half of it down in one go, she then spluttered and coughed from the intake. Hendrick watched her, shaking his head. As much as she couldn’t stand how messy this warrior’s armor was, Blair decided she’d approach him, completely ignoring the sullen facial expression he bore.

She made sure to approach in a way that masked the inner desperation for someone to party up with her. She strutted over, slowly, her head tilted down and her arm reaching out to her hat, pulling the rim down too so her eyes were concealed from his vision. She wasn’t even sure if he was watching, she couldn’t see him either, but if he was she was sure she looked both mysterious and cool right now. When she reached his table, she sat down opposite him. Still not making eye contact with him, she was kind of nervous now. This impression has to have worked or she’d be stuck here for who knows how long again.

“Hello-“ Blair started, but that was all she could manage, there were so many thing she could’ve said next that she couldn’t decide what to say. She still wasn’t even making eye contact with him. After a rather awkward pause, Blair finally lifted her head up to look at him- her face with a serious expression.

“My name is Blair Lavender, Master fire mage. You’re looking awfully worn down over here. Just got back from a quest or something?”

Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon

Ironclad-GQ-1Sep17_rex_b.jpg

Lothar sat, tending to his drink, when he heard footsteps approach him. Whoever wanted to talk to him... must have had a really good reason to do so considering what he looked and smelled like. He looked up as the person sat down and saw a little girl sit in front of him. All he heard was a shy "Hello-" before a short silence followed. He couldn't help but wonder what a little girl was doing here... times were desperate, but that didn't mean that they needed to send children to fight the Dark Lord. Finally, she continued to speak, which confused Lothar a bit. A fire mage? Then things started to connect in Lothar's mind. He had heard of a young fire mage who was skilled... but reckless. A lot of parties seemed to have problems with her during missions as she seemed to not have the best self control and discipline that is needed for long missions, a "glass cannon" so to speak.

Regardless, Lothar looked up and nodded. "I have. Just got back from a mission in Sweltland. Unfortunately, my partner for this mission didn't make it, but that's the nature of the job." Quite frankly, Lothar wasn't in the mood to talk, but he wasn't one to be rude or try to ruin the morale of others. "So, I'm having a toast in honor of his behalf." He then lifted his drink and poured some of it onto the ground, an angel's share. He then took a large gulp and continued to talk "Lady... Lavender? Right? How can I help you? Seeing how you came up to me to talk to me even though I'm looking like this... it must be something important."

Dooplighost Dooplighost

Levi smiled in answer to Hadriel's words, before saying, "Oh, it's wonderful to hear that you're on the search for companions at least. In that case, if both you and I are having difficulty finding potential teammates, perhaps we should form our own team. Between your magic and my blade, I'd say we'd make quite a formidable pair, wouldn't you?" Levi's smile turned to a wide grin as he spoke, a hint of eagerness to adventure with such a friendly companion as Hadriel sounding through in his voice. He paused and looked around the hall some more to add, "Of course, perhaps we'd need a bit more than just the two of us. But still, it'd be a start! What do you say?"

Goonfire Goonfire

“Absolutely,” Hadriel retorted immediately, neglecting to think it over. He savored the chance to work in a team once again. However, there were some concerns he had to address prior to recruiting:

“So I was reading various accounts of other adventurers’ success, and many teams of three featured a strong fellow, a swift-handed and swift-witted person, and an intellectual. I believe you and I more than fit the bill of the latter two, respectively. Perhaps we should also seek out a... brutish sort of fellow? The type of gentleman whose heavy blade or bludgeon could... er, sink him to the bottom of a lake?”​
Having rattled off his request for a ‘fighter’ archetype, Hadriel also took into consideration what may be required of him. “By the way, are there any materials I require, aside from my scrolls and spellbook? Perhaps maps, camping equipment, and rope?” he inquired while retrieving a notebook and an alchemically-treated charcoal writing stick (also known as a ‘pencil’) from his satchel.

Starberries Starberries

Last edited:
Blair was about to interrupt him before she watched him pour some of his drink on the ground. “Okay, did he get hit in the head or something? Jeez, screw it, he’ll have to do for now.” She thought to herself as he finished speaking. She chose her words carefully when he invited her to speak.

“The Sweltlands? Really? Wow, you must be something for them to send you up there. That place is a nightmare, I should know, been there on some quests a few times myself,” Blair said as nonchalantly as one could force themself to sound, lying through her teeth. It wasn’t a complete lie, she’d been there with her parents as a child once when it wasn’t quite as bad as it is now, but there wasn’t a party in existence that would trust her on such a high risk quest. Though that didn’t matter right now, what mattered was that her hunch was right. He’d been to the Sweltlands so he was tough, exactly what she was looking for.

“Sorry to bother you about this, clearly you’ve had a rough day. I was just wondering if you’d be interested in helping me with this,“ she pulled a piece of paper out from under her hat and placed it on the table.

Client: Punched-Up Salesman
Reward: 2500G
Description: Help, help! Come quickly, there seems to be some kind of Lizardmen preparing to invade the small town of Celludom, east of Helioway. I caught them planning at what seems to be their basecamp. The trouble is they caught me too, they beat me up and then stole my shoes! Please someone get my shoes back, they were a gift from my Ex...Oh, and save the town too I suppose.

Blair read it again in her head while the note was turned to face her knight friend opposite her. It was more pathetic sounding than she remembered from the first time she read it.

“So, yeah. I’m...afraid that if some kind of base of monsters is set up so close to Helioway there might be trouble in the future.” Blair‘s tone flared up. “I’ve been here all day but no one wants to party up for whatever reason. I bet they’re all too intimidated by my power, bunch of weaklings. But, that’s why I was looking for someone strong. Like yourself. So what do you say, Sir...did I get your name?” Blair asked, hopeful he’d say what she wanted to hear.

Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon

Levi pondered for a moment over Hadriel's suggestion. "A... 'brutish' sort, hm?" he mumbled more to himself than anything. It seemed oddly specific at first, but it did make sense when he stopped to think about it. It wasn't as if Levi himself was a proper depiction of 'strength' by any means. To have someone who would be able to cover what the pair could not would be immensely helpful in creating a well-rounded set of skills. It was something that hadn't occurred to Levi before, but it seemed worth it to keep an eye out for someone who would match that description.

"Then, in that case," Levi said, "I'm sure it won't be difficult to find someone who fits that criteria! Let's simply hope they'd be open to accompanying us." He began to walk, gesturing for his companion to follow him. As he searched for an appropriately "brutish" individual, however, his thoughts were distracted by the sound of... Music? Most definitely a drum rhythm echoing from somewhere in the SoA's hall.

He looked about, suddenly curious to find the source of what he was hearing. Levi made his way past the various people around, making sure not to lose track of Hadriel as he did but still more or less having forgotten his original search for the moment when he found what corner of the hall the sound originated from - it seemed a performance had attracted a crowd of likewise curious individuals. But it was not the music that caught Levi's attention the most when he found the source, but the performer himself. Of all the varieties of people he'd seen, both at the home he'd known for the rest of his life prior, and since joining the SoA, a skeleton was certainly not a sort of person he'd ever expected to meet or see performing music. A skeleton also did not at all meet the description of a brutish individual that Hadriel was looking for. Nonetheless, Levi watched the skeleton drummer's performance. There were questions he'd have liked to ask someone of this sort, and he eagerly awaited a chance to do so.

Goonfire Goonfire MothMagic MothMagic

Lothar's brows rose slightly as he read the mission. The quest giver was a lucky guy to have escaped without losing a few... irreplaceable things. He looked at the girl with weary eyes and said "Lothar, just call me Lothar. But this guy seems like he's lucky getting off so lightly. Not to mention that he's offering so much just for a pair of shoes." That said... Lothar had a sneaking suspicion that the girl was the type of person who might get too frustrated while waiting around and head off to fight by herself. She might be an accomplished mage, but it was still a dangerous mission for someone who hasn't been around for too long. Rather than wanting to do the mission, Lothar was more concerned that the girl might get hurt, or even worse. Lothar sighed and said "Tell you what. Give me some time to get ready and maybe a bit of sleep, and then we can set off."

Dooplighost Dooplighost

Hadriel matched the pace of Levi, albeit remaining behind the roguish tiefling because proceeding through a crowded room single-file was always easier. The rhythm of a drum met his ear as Levi led him closer to its source. Laying eyes upon the musician, however, the scholar gasped and recoiled; skeletons were not something of which he had fond memories, especially after his first adventure. “Oh my,” he simply interjected to his partner, looking on nervously. “This is... a most exquisite sight...?”

Sir Ainslie Patrick Vandlwood watched as two new people approached, one a tiefling with a curiosity he had seen many times from the children he had played for and the other, fear rested in his gaze, the skeleton was saddened by this but played on. The rhythm grew faster and stronger, building and holding until it crashed into a war song "the hills, the criers and the raging fires, they call my name, for I am a man with the skeleton hand and i can feel their pain." He would play different songs for different people, he knew blood soaked worriers wouldn't outwardly like his children songs, though they have listened in from time to time "my wagon forgotten, my family fallen, I am a bonely lad with a stick and wish for a peaceful, fruitful land." He finishes the song and bows, unsure of what reaction he will receive.

Goonfire Goonfire Starberries Starberries

As the performance continued, Hadriel listened carefully to the lyrics. The message was only received in part, not by anyone’s fault but his own; the radiant man’s expression softened from alarm to understanding of the drummer’s plight. What he didn’t understand was the subtle hint that Sir Ainslie wished to help in his own way. “‘Tis comforting to have advocates on the sidelines bidding us good luck,” Hadriel remarked aloud, stroking his clean-shaven chin.

MothMagic MothMagic Starberries Starberries

Levi watched the performance intently, an enthused glimmer in his eye the entire time until the drummer reached his finale. "And for someone with such talents to perform for the people of this hall..." Levi said in response to Hadriel's comment, "It's truly something to see so many skilled people gather here, with so many varied talents. It's honestly so fascinating."

With the performance finished, Levi waved to the drummer, cheerfully exclaiming, "Bravo, good sir! A splended performance, a splendid performance and well-appreciated, certainly!"

MothMagic MothMagic Goonfire Goonfire

Sir Ainslie Patrick Vandlewood looked up from his bow and was surprised by how well received his show was, expecting a tough crowd but found people speaking his praises, even the one that seemed anxious of him seemed happy with his show. if the skeleton had a mouth he would have surly grinned with pride "thank you, thank you" he said to the audience before walking over to the tiefling and his friend "and thank you for such kind words, my name is Sir Ainslie Patrick Vandlewood, pleasure to meet you"

Goonfire Goonfire Starberries Starberries

Hadriel’s breath hitched as he made efforts to conceal his surprise; the last thing he was expecting was for Sir Ainslie to address Levi and him directly. “I- I am flattered as well, sir,” he properly and thoughtfully utters after clearing his throat. “My name is Hadriel, and the tasteful gentleman to my left is my associate Levi.” His head subsequently bows, partly because he is afraid to make eye contact... although, is it eye contact if the other party has no physical eyeballs?
MothMagic MothMagic Starberries Starberries

Users who are viewing this thread

Back