• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Savage Worlds Educational Interest Check

Umbrie

Adorable Little Nymph
i recieved requests to run an interest check for a Transhuman Cyberpunk Savage Worlds game. i wanted to see who was interested.

while i can't legally share the PDF of the core book, i can point you to the free test drive rules free Test Drive Rules

the Test Drive rules tell you what the edges do, but they avoid the specifics and give you a decent list of attributes and skills you can work with.

i will warn you it is my first time GMing in ages. so don't expect it to last long, and any prospective new players can discuss things together

Hello. I've always wanted to try a tabletop game, but I know no one who would be interested to try with me. 

Tried looking at the character builder, and like I expected, the stats are confusing the heck out of me.

that is what the Test Drive Version is for.

i am actually making you guys read the test drive thing.

your Attributes and Skills are measured in die types. a high die type means higher Raw Proficiency in a skill.

Attributes and skills are there for meeting edge requirements. characters are defined by edges and hindrances.

some attributes and some skills have Secondary benefits. for Example, Fighting Boosts Parry, Vigor Boosts Toughness and Strength Increases Encumbrance Limit.

download this and it will explain things.

it isn't that big a handout. just take some time to read it, and i can explain corner cases as appropriate. it is also in the OP

but yes, that is a heavily minmaxed fighter

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried looking at the character builder, and like I expected, the stats are confusing the heck out of me.

Strength is Strength: it determines melee damage, which weapons you can wield, and how much you can carry

Agility is Agility. self explanatory, lots of skills are linked to agility

Smarts is intelligence, it determines your starting number of languages, is linked to a lot of skills, and is primarily used for scholarly things

Spirit is a combination of Willpower, Charm and intuition. it effectively governs your ability to overcome fear, your ability to break the shaken status, and your ability to persuade or intimidate, some spirit based arcane disciplines draw power from confidence,

Vigor is physical resistance, it determines toughness, is used to soak wounds (which requires bennies), is used for feats of endurance,  and plays a roll similar to constitution

the skills should be self explanatory

I could've sworn I read the entire thing, but I must have skimmed past some important stuff.  My bad. 

If I were to put something under "Knowledge Skill," what would I put under it?

@Umbrie

If I were to put something under "Knowledge Skill," what would I put under it?

@Umbrie

if you took a knowledge skill. you get to choose the specific knowledge you want it to represent, for Example, Broader knowledges have a harder time gaining specifics, but can gain the surface stuff of most things. while a more specific knowledge would grant you the specific details pertaining to it.

as an example

lets say you chose Knowledge (History) as a Broad Knowledge and Somebody Took Knowledge (Egyptology)

you could get the surface facts of most things pretty easily, the guy who dedicated more time to Egyptology knows all those obscure things about Egypt that most people skim over.

as another Example

lets say you chose Knowledge (Chemistry) and Somebody Else Chose Knowledge (Science)

you would know a lot of specific things about chemistry, while the other person would have the basic surface knowledge of a variety of scientific subjects.

if you took a knowledge skill. you get to choose the specific knowledge you want it to represent, for Example, Broader knowledges have a harder time gaining specifics, but can gain the surface stuff of most things. while a more specific knowledge would grant you the specific details pertaining to it.

as an example

lets say you chose Knowledge (History) as a Broad Knowledge and Somebody Took Knowledge (Egyptology)

you could get the surface facts of most things pretty easily, the guy who dedicated more time to Egyptology knows all those obscure things about Egypt that most people skim over.

as another Example

lets say you chose Knowledge (Chemistry) and Somebody Else Chose Knowledge (Science)

you would know a lot of specific things about chemistry, while the other person would have the basic surface knowledge of a variety of scientific subjects.

Thanks.

If your character doesn't have a d4 in a skill, can he/she not do anything related to that skill?

@Umbrie

Thanks.

If your character doesn't have a d4 in a skill, can he/she not do anything related to that skill?

@Umbrie

if you don't have a d4 in the skill. you roll it as an untrained skill at a d4 but subtract 2 from the total. you know what a wild die and bennies are?

lets say the complete combat inept otaku picks up a knife and tries to fight off a street thug (d4 fighting, parry 4). the otaku would roll a fighting roll at d4-2. meaning she would need a 6 to hit instead of a 4. meaning her d4 would have to ace or explode as some people call it, it isn't impossible, but she would need a 4 on the d4 and at least a 2 on the explosion/acing roll.

to Explain Skill Die Types

d4-2 = untrained. wallets made by kindergarteners

d4 = minimal experience or passion for the field.  that soccer mom who took karate classes for self defemse

d6 = average experience for one who is skilled in that field, shooting for a soldier or investigation for a detective

d8 = decent enough to make a good living. shooting for a special forces officer or fighting for your typical dojo sensei

d10 = Olympian Quality, Jet-Li's Martial Arts Skills

d12 = Best mortal on the planet in that field. Roger Bacon's knowledge of Mythology or Sydney Crosby's Skill at Hockey

d12+bonus Supernaturally good

some edges add +2 to a handful of related skills, they usually require a d8 in those skills and are rarely found for combat or arcane skills. representing professional training in that field.

Would cars be common in the setting? I'd imagine most able-bodied citizens would be d6 in the "Driving" skill if that was the case, then.

@Umbrie

Would cars be common in the setting? I'd imagine most able-bodied citizens would be d6 in the "Driving" skill if that was the case, then.

@Umbrie

you don't need the driving skill to get from point A to Point B and perform Routine Driving, the Driving Skill, much like Piloting, Boating and Riding, are primarily for rolling during chases. not every action requires a roll.  most people can get from point A to Point B pretty easily without a roll. having a d6 in Driving probably means you are a getaway driver for an organization or something.

we all need to agree on a Setting though. we all need to come up with a setting before i can tweak things.

Yes, do that, please. I've reset my CS about four times because I just don't know what skills/edges would work the best with the general character idea I have.

@Umbrie

I have a character sheet Understand everything but edges but I'm reading up on that now. Is there a group I could join or?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back