• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Satellite Lambda Nine: SΛ9 [DETAILED]

Xixo

Cyborg Faun

FILL OUT A CS!

SΛ9

tldr; SciFi mystery aboard a space station. some supernatural/horror influences.

full

Life is exciting in the year 2355. A new generation of federation delegates have been elected to the Galactic Congress, there's peace among the various sectors of the Inner Galaxy. Trade is booming, profits are sky high and prosperity is coming to all types of citizens of the inner galaxy.

Too bad you're not living in the inner Galaxy! Hah!

You are a citizen of the Outer Sectors. Sector Gamma Epsilon is one of the most dangerous, where lawlessness, greed and corruption are almost as common as courage, entrepreneurism, and a spirit for survival. The planets of this sector are largely uninhabited. The moon Saragossa, (it orbits the planet Kaiser, which orbits the star Kali) is one of the few centers of culture and civilization at the edge of the galaxy. It's highly metropolitan, and houses enclaves of people from all over the galaxy whose ancestors fled overpopulation and anarchy in the ancient Inner Sectors. However, with the increased stability near the galactic core, the people of Saragossa have to build their own destiny now, and fight to keep a balance between freedom and survival.

full

The main setting of our story is a particular space station. It's also in the Kali System, but it orbits around a dwarf planet (Chana) far from the life-giving sun. It's called Satellite Lambda Nine or SΛ9. In the old days it served as a research station sent out by Saragossan corporations. A small, 300-person complex of labs dedicated to researching the magnetic/gravitational/chemical abnormalities (apparently there were a log of them, heh) of the microplanet Chana. Unfortunately, long-term, the planets weirdness ended up not having very much use pragmatically, and the projects were gradually abandoned. Eventually, only 25 scientists were left and most of the station was powered down.

Things started picking up a few decades later, when valuable elements and compounds were discovered in an asteroid belt just beyond Chana. Mining ships and corporate shuttles started using the station for refueling and resupplying. Another few decades later, after several additions to the original structure, SΛ9 became hub of commerce and travel in the region. Several thousand people grew to ten thousand, and then fifty. Eventually some corporations realized that people actually wanted to travel to SΛ9 in order to witness the bizarre dwarf planet it orbited leading to a healthy tourist industry is a well. In the current time, over 100,000 people live on the massive SΛ9, and you're one of them.

But this story isn't just about FTL drives, exotic elements, and cool nightclubs aboard a space station… There's strange things happening aboard SΛ9, and it's up to you to unravel them. Something is getting into people's heads and making them do strange things. So far it's inexplicable why there's been an outbreak of madness… There's few clues except for the ramblings of the poor people affected. (It's horrible other-worldly creatures trying to get into our dimension, btw!)

Using every tool in your arsenal (biotech, nanobots, hallucinogenic divination, ouija boards, and more!) you and four others must figure out what the heck is going on and how to stop it, before everyone on board SΛ9 is drawn into the Formless Maw…

STORY STRUCTURE

Each adventure will consist of an episode. Each episode is made of three sessions. (beginning, middle and end). Each session ends once every player has posted three times. I'm a fan of structured Rping, but I'm willing to be flexible about this. Please post a few paragraphs for your posts...

Character Design and Setting

Pretty much anything goes I think. Be reasonable. I trust you will not overpower your characters or make them boring and one-dimensional. If I have a problem with something, I'll let you know. In this universe, we have not encountered aliens yet... sorry :( Maybe next time ;)

FILL OUT A CS!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested. The structure is a little concerning to me as a player since it puts a lot of pressure on the players to get a lot in their posts and have it make sense by the end of each session. I get the act structure of each episode, but what if the rising action needs more posts from the players to make it more exciting? Sure, it's detailed so the players will be providing a lot of content anyway, but that doesn't mean it'll be all the content the story needs per act. Limiting by post is limiting the potential of the story and how it unfolds, in my opinion. Are you adamant about keeping to this rigid structure?

I'm flexible! If it helps, we can increase the posts needed to 4 in order to end a session, and then sessions can be extended if we all agree it's absolutely necessary. I find that forcing a structure will allow the story to move forward and keep the plot from dragging.

Does that seem like a reasonable compromise?

How about this: each session will have some goal(s) to be achieved. Once the goals are achieved, the session ends.

I'd expect 2-3 full sized posts.

2-3 lengthy posts per week. 4 is ideal but I kno people have other stuff to do, haha.

It might possibly be too demanding for me. Sometimes I can manage 2-3 posts per week, and sometimes I can only manage 1. I have a sporadically busy job with deadlines that are demanding certain weeks, and not so much on others. It's not predictable enough to be able to commit to RPs like that, especially when I have other RPs I have already committed to.

I can possibly manage that. My posts may be later in the day at times as well (or into early mornings!). I operate in EST (GMT-4).

A lot of science fiction is backed up by actual science, even if just in theory. Dimensional shifts have been theorized in a variety of different ways (see Berenstein vs Berenstain Bears, Fringe, Interstellar, etc), some without much to back it up, and some with more of a science-y flare. It's a fascinating concept to delve into, so it'll be interesting how it's executed in this RP. I look forward to it! But with this, will we as players need to have a deeper understanding of the science side of this concept in order for our characters to properly assess the clues given to our characters in the plot?

I like the idea - love the hallucinogenic divination - and am on board with the concept of having goals to complete in a series of seasons and episodes in order to maintain momentum. I can easily manage 3-4 good sized posts a week.

*_* Yes! Glad you're into it, @RedTimbre! Maybe we can do a max of 3 with a min of two for those who struggle with maintaining activity.

Looks really good from what I've read so far. I'll check it out more indepth when I have some free time.

But you definently have my interest and my upvote ( :P )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back