• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Sanera Institute [OPEN]

TruthBehindTheLies

Code Mistake
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Today was like any other at this time. The air was cool and crisp, and the birds sang their songs from the branches of the slowly decaying trees. However, today was different. It was today when Sanera's newest arrivals would come for their first day.

Like most students, Oliver Lancaster had arrived at the school by teleporting using the metal orb which appeared in his hand upon reading his letter. He appeared in front of the huge building, trembling from both anxiety and excitement. Then, almost right after he'd shown up, a voice made itself heard in his mind.

'All new students, please report to the auditorium for orientation.' It said in an authoritative tone.

He looked around, trying to figure out where the voice came from, studying the surrounding peoples' faces and body language.

Last edited:
Jae had always known she was special, but she had never expected anything like this to happen to her.

She looked around excitedly, hearing the mingled conversations and looking around to try and guess what people were like and what their powers would be. Enthused to say the least, she tucked a loose curl behind her ear and began making her way through the sea of students.

The announcement made her pause- where was the auditorium? She figured she could just follow the flow of the students for now.

Nyx
Interaction/Mention: A Hazy Sort of Clarity A Hazy Sort of Clarity

Learn magic.

That was Nyx's goal.

It was the only reason she'd accepted, the only reason she'd accepted such a suspiciously convenient offer from the institute. She figured if it was a trap, she could handle herself against lower tier hunters. Unless they were certified Fishers, even a weak Deep One like her would be find. But instead of a trap, the teleportation ball provided had brought her to a large, isolated building surrounded by a number of wilting trees.

She would've still considered it a trap if it weren't for the other students appearing one after another all around her. Many looked human, others had more notable monstrous traits, a couple elves, a bunny girl and even a fairy were just a few of those in attendance. So many different beings with magical potential, all giving off divine scents compared to the mundane mortals that Nyx had spent the last decade with.

She calmed herself, taking a deep breath whilst bringing a piece of dried meat up to her mouth. It had been the only thing she'd had on her when the message had come, and she hoped it would be enough to stave off the hunger until she saw what Sanera Institute would be offering.

But as the last of it disappeared down her mouth, she found her fellow schoolmates were still just as tantalizing. She took another deep breath as she swallowed down the meat, it would be a long curriculum.

Thankfully, she wouldn't have to withstand it for long, as the call for students to make their way inside sounded out.

She followed the group, filing in whilst thoughts of fine meals passed through her head.

"A savory glaze, cooked well-done." she murmured as a fairy levitated past talking with several others "Maybe a side appetizer of smoky island grain rice."

A big guy with a pig-like nose was already butting heads with what looked like a satyr.

"Bacon breakfast?" she mused "or Porkchops."

She mumbled similarly for several other students until her eyes fell upon a girl with curly hair. She was just following the crowd, but Nyx drew near whilst tilting her head at her.

"Skillet or sauce pan?" she asked the girl with a straight face "Which do you think fits better."

Of all the students, an off-looking girl caught his eye. Oliver wasn't attracted to her, that was never something he could feel. Instead, he was interested in her, wanting to ask her endless questions until he knew all there was to know about her. He watched her for a moment before he realized she was walking towards another girl, a friend perhaps, and appeared to ask a question.

Anxiety filled his mind, even more than before. People were making friends, maybe they already had formed groups, shutting out anyone and everyone who was different. Oliver thought about approaching her now, but the fear of being shut out and the urgency of being in the auditorium convinced him to walk straight forward, into the slightly crowded halls of the Institute.

The halls of the Institute were pleasantly warm and inviting, with students bustling about. The students who had been there more than a year were rushing to their classes, clutching books and other materials to their chests even though they didn't need to. The student population was small enough to make the halls less compact and gave the school somewhat of a luxurious feel that it already seemed to have.

Jae continued to walk amongst the sea of students, and continued to catch snippets of conversation as she went along, but a particular one caught her attention. The person sounded like they were approaching her.
"Hmm?" She looked around until she found the girl who had been mumbling. She thought about it, and replied, "You can't go wrong with a skillet, that's my opinion."
She looked around at the institute, the excitement bubbling up in her fit to burst. Her old, public school sure as heck wasn't as nice as this one.

c789f4ff472172d1e649552cb369429a.jpgNyx
Interaction/Mention: A Hazy Sort of Clarity A Hazy Sort of Clarity TruthBehindTheLies TruthBehindTheLies

Skillet.

The girl had answered, and Nyx was left to ponder that answer as they entered the Institute. The halls were more than big enough tp accomodate them, but the hefty crowding of the new students made it seem more crowded than it probably was. The students that actually seemed to be going between classes were spread out compared to the clumping of the new arrivals, which gave Nyx hope that they wouldn't be packed in all the time.

Even for a Greater Deep One like herself, that would be a bit much.

"Skillet, yes..." She said as they drew ever closer to the Auditorium "I'd have to butter you up first to reduce risk of burns, though. Hmm."

She spoke plainly before a new idea pushed to the forefront of her mind. Her eyes turned to another student she'd caught glancing over occasionally before they'd entered the large structure. With their trip to the auditorium nearly complete, she snapped her fingers at him to get his attention.

"What say you, boy?" she asked him "Which would you prefer cooking in: Skillet or frying pan?"

"...Oh."
Jae didn't really know how to respond to the odd statement, a bemused expression spreading across her freckled face. Butter her up? As in cook her? She fell silent, wondering if she'd even be that tasty.
She looked up at the boy the strange girl had been snapping at. "Do you think I'd taste good?!" she shouted bluntly at the boy.

At Nyx snapping her fingers in his face, Oliver snapped out of his daze, blinking.

"Oh, uh.. Well, eating people is usually frowned upon in most societies, but if I were to put in my opinion, I'd say that with a little butter and rosemary, you wouldn't taste that bad.. In a frying pan, of course.."

Interaction/Mention: TruthBehindTheLies TruthBehindTheLies A Hazy Sort of Clarity A Hazy Sort of Clarity

The boy's comments about societal norms went in through one ear and out the other, with Nyx homing in on his ingredient suggestions as well as his answer to the question at hand. Apparently was the missing ingredient in making full use of Curly's flavor, but he seemed to favor a frying pan instead of a skillet. It made sense if one was working more with Rosemary, as a frying pan would imply a focus less on moistening than flavoring in the final product.

"No worries, Curly." Nyx reached out and patted her on the back before pulling ahead "I would make you a perfect delight to any pallete by the end, promise."

But once she was several steps ahead, Nyx put a finger to her chin and thought.

"Rosemary, hm...?" she mused out loud as she entered the auditorium with the crowd of new students, mindlessly going along with them as she envisioned the particular recipe forming in her head.

Jae took it as a compliment, her being something tasty if she was somehow cooked. Bizarre, to say the least. She shrugged and allowed herself to be shunted forward by the crowd, the stream entering the auditorium, which was starting to fill up, people sitting down.
"Thanks for the compliment." Jae chirped as she was pushed towards Oliver by a particularly vast minotaur. "I'm Jae. And do you normally think about cooking people with Rosemary?"

At both of their comments, Oliver looked at the floor, walking along with them.

"Um, I mean, I usually don't but you know how things can enter your mind.."

Upon entering the auditorium, the three of them could see a few students were already there, chatting with each other and inspecting the other students. Standing in the front were some teachers, some of which were talking amongst themselves, pointing out and talking about the students. Others stood still, waiting for the orientation to start. One of these teachers, though, looked a little more interesting than the rest. He had a massive scar where his left eye should be, and he looked rather intimidating.

"Oh, for sure, I get it." Jae confided as they walked inside. She absentmindedly tugged at a curl, letting it spring back, as she looked around. "Man, so many people are here, do you think--"

What Jae had wanted Oliver's opinion on would remain unknown for the moment, as she had lain eyes upon the man that stood with the rest of the professors. "Ooh, that looks like it hurt." Jae mumbled, poking Oliver in the arm and nodding towards where the scarred man stood. "Who do you think that guy is?"

"Hmm?" Oliver said as Jae poked him, ignoring her first comment. "Ooh, that does look painful. One thing I do know, though, is that he's not human whatsoever, I don't think I know anyone who would survive anything like that.. Maybe he teaches something that's flashy, like pyromancy or something.."

As the auditorium slowly filled with people, it became apparent that at least a few students had likely been brought here through other means. The white jumpsuit that Alice wore gave off the same sort of feel of a prisoner's attire, albeit a bit brighter in color. if someone could see her back, though it was mostly obscured by the chair she was patiently sitting in, they'd see the logo of what was likely some sort of shadow-corporation/extragovernmental global force with inexplicably infinite manpower and resources. She certainly did reek of someone who'd been in decontamination for 24 hours before being dropped on school grounds, ie; she smelled like chlorine.

Alice was always more than content with the nature of not being able to put down roots anywhere. She had been in the hands of any number of Organizations. Mostly governmental, like a division of NATO, or the United States Federal Bureau of Unusual Phenomenae. Sometimes she'd slip through the cracks and get caught up in some plan by a death cult, or set up as an auction piece by some underworld company trying to make a buck off of anomalous items. The only thing more unusual than Alice (both in terms of herself as a living creature, but also in terms of her egocentric existence) was the ridiculous series of coincidences that always seemed to let things turn out well for her in the end. Whether it was luck, or some sort of poorly understood paranormal ability was just as good as anyone could guess.

Her tendency to be at the center of everything that happened to her was... Tiresome. Evidently, her previous caretakers had decided that the masquerade world of anomalous warfare is no place to raise a child, even if she was technically an extremely powerful psychic bioweapon, and not actually a human. Either that, or having a bad-luck magnet that manages to get itself both in and out of trouble so frequently, is problematic for any organization that isn't trained in dealing with those who inexplicably seem to attract disaster.

That's why she was brought to the institute. It was all "above board" the men in black suits come in, tell the institute that they can't take care of an extinction level bioweapon that the institute can, and make an agreement to let the school take said bioweapon off their hands, with the promise that at least she's potty trained.

That's where we are now. With Alice sitting in a chair, hugging a plush alpaca, letting her legs dangle down off the end of the seat. If it weren't for the smell of chlorine, she'd seem just like a completely normal human.

Jae shrugged. "Hmm, maybe. I mean, a lot of people aren't humans. But still, that looks like it hurt. C'mon, let's go find somewhere to sit, before all the good seats are taken." she hurried along down the small corridor to a relatively empty row of seats, a row in front of a girl hugging the stuffed animal.

Last edited:
"Yeah, I suppose you're right.." He sighed, quickly following her and sitting down next to her, patting the spot next to him for Nyx to sit.

A peculiar looking boy dressed like he was straight from Antarctica tried to fight through the crowd, while trying to ignore the complaints of chilly weather as he passed. He fought his way into the auditorium, his hood up, looking around for a seat. He made a beeline to the row where a girl with curly hair and a boy dressed in baggy clothes sat. The cloud of chilled air followed him, and he tentatively tapped the girl's shoulder with a gloved finger.
"'Scuse me..." he mumbled, pulling down his hood to reveal snowy white hair and golden eyes. "...Do you mind if I sit here..?"

Jae felt a chill in the air, and rubbed her hands on her arms, suddenly wishing she had brought a sweatshirt. She turned around, and smiled, taking in the boy's odd but rather handsome features, asking, "Oh, no, go ahead...um, is it you making the air cold? You're like a portable AC."

Interaction/Mention: TruthBehindTheLies TruthBehindTheLies Forevermore Forevermore Lord Moldoma Lord Moldoma A Hazy Sort of Clarity A Hazy Sort of Clarity

Nyx had already known what an auditorium was, but she wasn't familiar with magical auditoriums. Her time amongst the mundane had left her tragically ill-equipped when dealing with other magical beings, and even her brief jaunts through locales rife with magic wouldn't be enough prep for an institution centered around it.

So when the auditorium proved to be a fairly regular big room with seats, Nyx found herself looking for the catch. Besides the more fantastical students there was no sign that the room itself was of a supernatural persuasion. Was it built to look normal on purpose, or were its more fantastical elements simply beyond her capabilities to see?

There were teachers at the front of the room past all the seats that were quickly filling with students. It made Nyx realize she'd kept walking, and looked back to see that the two she'd spoken with had sat down in one of the rows. The boy was pointing to the seat next to him while looking at her, so Nyx turned to make her way back over to them.

But halfway there another boy in notably unfitting clothes made his way over asking for that very seat. Nyx was about to ask him what the excess layers were when she felt a sharp decrease in temperature.

"Oh." she said involuntarily as it grew colder the closer she got "Icy."

Her original question forgotten, Nyx backed up until the temperature started rising again, only to dip a foot in and out of the oddly specific range of whatever powers the layered boy had. Any potential hesitation another might've had didn't even register to Nyx, who wasted no time in waving a hand around the layered boy to find any other differences in temperature around his body.

"Are you always Icy, Ice Man?" she asked before walking around to the row behind them and plopping down in a seat next to a girl with a teddy bear.

Nyx leaned forward to look Ice Man over, noting how his particular choice of clothing was able to dissuade some of the sharper pangs of hunger from appearing.

"I can't see enough to tell how good of a dish you'd be, so you have my thanks." she nodded in approval.

During the conversation, small imps brought an old-school microphone onto the stage, but the microphone had no wires attached to it. Then, a well-dressed, younger-looking man stepped onto the stage after them, shooing them away. He scanned the room, then spaced out, looking at nothing.

Oliver nudged Nyx. "Hey, uh, who do you think that is?" He asked, pointing at the guy on the stage.

The boy nodded, a slight smile on his lips. He sat down next to Jae, and added, "Yeah, that's me...sorry, I can't turn it off..." he shrugged off one of his coats, and handed it to Jae. He was wearing another coat underneath it. "Here, you can borrow it...you're probably gonna be the coldest, since you're right next to me..."

He tried to pay no mind to Nyx testing the air around him. "I'm not Ice Man...I'm Ezra." he muttered, looking down at his lap. There were a lot of strange folks in this school, but getting rated as a dish was probably the strangest thing that's happened to him yet.

"Oh, that's okay. Thanks." Jae replied, taking the coat and pulling it on. She marveled at how thick it was, and the fact that Ezra was wearing another jacket underneath.

"Ezra...sounds like a girl's name." Jae stated bluntly, before turning her attention to the stage. "He looks weird. Why is he just standing there like that??"

Interaction/Mention: TruthBehindTheLies TruthBehindTheLies Forevermore Forevermore A Hazy Sort of Clarity A Hazy Sort of Clarity Lord Moldoma Lord Moldoma

Nyx hadn't noticed the new man on the stage at first, to preoccupied she was for getting a feel for Ice Man's cooling power. Though he didn't seem to keen on her appraisal of his potential as a meal, she decided that she enjoyed not being as hungry when she looked at him compared to the others.

It was the other boy who brought her attention back to the stage when he asked about the new figure that had shown up, who seemed to just be staring off into nothing. Nyx stared at the man, taking stock of him for a moment as Curly accepted Ice Man's offering of one of his jackets. Except his name was actually Ezra apparently, something Nyx filed away for later as she kept staring at the new man on the stage.

Curly offered the most obvious of answers to the first boy's question, noting the oddity of his staring, but it gave Nyx long enough to complete her initial assessment.

"He's another member of staff at least." she concluded before sitting back in her seat "Perhaps one of higher rank than the others given he's apparently speaking first."

The Microphone alone was enough indication that he would be kicking off the Orientation, or some kind of announcements, once the last of the new students were seated. Nyx looked around, taking stock of the students there. There were definitely more seats than there were students, and already she could see that the large crowd of students filtering in had devolved into a trickle of late arrivals. Most of them were already there it seemed, with even some of the rowdier individuals finding settling down.

It was during this examination when Nyx finally registered the small girl she'd sat next to. Tilting her head, Nyx examined her for a brief moment before she recognized her as the source of the oddly sterile scent of chemicals that had been wafting about.

"Quite the odd choice of fragrance," she stated before leaning in to take a whiff "I suppose it matches the attire, though I'm not sure either match a morsel such as yourself."

Neither the bland jumpsuit or the sterile scents matched the frankly blatant display of youthful innocence sitting beside her. It was odd dichotomy that Nyx could only assume had some mystical explanation she was, as of yet, unaware of. She chalked it up to more magical stuff she'd have to learn before her time at Sanera was up, but that didn't stop her from trying to come up with a recipe for the girl despite that chemical scent disrupting her flavorful thoughts.

Steve Freeling took in his surroundings which had changed in an instant. The tall and slender teen had been alone in his bedroom one minute and the next at the Sanera Institute, surrounded by other adolescents. So many people. How many potential friends, or even potential girlfriends, I wonder? He chuckled a bit until he heard a nearby conversation initiated by a Greater Deep One. His blue eyes widened.
"Eh?"
Is she asking people how they would want to be cooked? That makes no sense. That makes no logical sense whatsoever. What have I gotten myself into? Did I make a mistake letting Mom and Dad talk me into this? Steve's parents, Ezekiel "Zeek" and Yuriko (née Takayama) Freeling, were the driving force behind Steve being there. With a naturally go-with-the-flow personality, he agreed with little to no protest. And why isn't Sophie here? She has these powers, too. Sophie Rumiko Freeling was Steve's twin sister who had been born with the same abilities. Their mother and every woman in their mother's family had also been born with superhuman strength, a superhuman immune system, and the ability to heal others supernaturally. Steve was supposedly the first male in Yuriko's family born with these abilities, which was a mystery to Yuriko. There was a catch, though. The Jinx of the Strength. If he used his strength to harm an innocent person, all his abilities would vanish instantly. Apparently, this happened to Steve's maternal grandmother, Naoka, when she murdered his maternal grandfather, Ryūsaku, and attempted to throw Ryūsaku's corpse off a bridge and into a whirlpool in the Naruto Strait, only to find that her superhuman strength had vanished. Since there had been witnesses, Naoka went to prison for a very long time and was executed by hanging when Steve and Sophie were four years old. I guess it's a good thing I have no desire to harm an innocent person. His facial expression didn't give him away if he felt any anxiety.
The girl abruptly asked the boy whether she'd taste good. She's asking that? The boy answered while pointing out that cannibalism wasn't viewed kindly. He actually answered.
"Cannibalism is frowned upon for a good reason. It's a barbaric practice that should have died out in ancient times." Steve thought the whole conversation was weird, so he had little to say.
Rather abruptly, the air got cooler, which seemed to originate from a specific person. Mr. Freeze, anyone? Steve chuckled lightly. The same Greater Deep One who had asked whether they preferred to cook in a skillet or a frying pan called him "Ice Man," which also seemed fitting. Iceman from Top Gun, anyone? In any case, he mentioned that his name was Ezra, and the girl who had asked if she would taste good remarked that Ezra sounded like a girl's name, which struck Steve as odd. Every Ezra he'd ever heard of, including the one who appeared in the Old Testament, was male.
"Really? All the Ezras I've ever known are male."
They seemed to think the guy on the stage was weird.
Steve shrugged. "Principal, maybe? We're probably gonna find out anyways."

Last edited:
View attachment 1065306Nyx
Interaction/Mention: TruthBehindTheLies TruthBehindTheLies Forevermore Forevermore A Hazy Sort of Clarity A Hazy Sort of Clarity Lord Moldoma Lord Moldoma

Nyx hadn't noticed the new man on the stage at first, to preoccupied she was for getting a feel for Ice Man's cooling power. Though he didn't seem to keen on her appraisal of his potential as a meal, she decided that she enjoyed not being as hungry when she looked at him compared to the others.

It was the other boy who brought her attention back to the stage when he asked about the new figure that had shown up, who seemed to just be staring off into nothing. Nyx stared at the man, taking stock of him for a moment as Curly accepted Ice Man's offering of one of his jackets. Except his name was actually Ezra apparently, something Nyx filed away for later as she kept staring at the new man on the stage.

Curly offered the most obvious of answers to the first boy's question, noting the oddity of his staring, but it gave Nyx long enough to complete her initial assessment.

"He's another member of staff at least." she concluded before sitting back in her seat "Perhaps one of higher rank than the others given he's apparently speaking first."

The Microphone alone was enough indication that he would be kicking off the Orientation, or some kind of announcements, once the last of the new students were seated. Nyx looked around, taking stock of the students there. There were definitely more seats than there were students, and already she could see that the large crowd of students filtering in had devolved into a trickle of late arrivals. Most of them were already there it seemed, with even some of the rowdier individuals finding settling down.

It was during this examination when Nyx finally registered the small girl she'd sat next to. Tilting her head, Nyx examined her for a brief moment before she recognized her as the source of the oddly sterile scent of chemicals that had been wafting about.

"Quite the odd choice of fragrance," she stated before leaning in to take a whiff "I suppose it matches the attire, though I'm not sure either match a morsel such as yourself."

Neither the bland jumpsuit or the sterile scents matched the frankly blatant display of youthful innocence sitting beside her. It was odd dichotomy that Nyx could only assume had some mystical explanation she was, as of yet, unaware of. She chalked it up to more magical stuff she'd have to learn before her time at Sanera was up, but that didn't stop her from trying to come up with a recipe for the girl despite that chemical scent disrupting her flavorful thoughts.
"The Doctor said that chlorine was the best option for decontamination."Her lips pursed into a small frown as her body turned. Her blue eyes looked to Nyx. The uncanny nature of how she moved, was almost nearly human, but not quite. Her movement was just ever so slightly off, like a doppelganger or an alternate who couldn't quite get all of the nuances of human movement down. The chlorine sent had hid up until that point the confirmation that the girl wasn't human. In fact, she probably wasn't made of meat for the most part. Granted, once you get to the level of reverse engineering ancient astronaut technology to create a biocomputational superweapon complex in the form of a little girl, you kind of lose track of what really, truly seperates cybernetics with organics.

"Whats a morsel?" She tilts her head, the strange use of the world puzzling her naive mind. Afterall, she had never been informed the nature of the other anomalous, supernatural, and occult beings in the school. If she had any reason to use her telepathy, she'd probably know immediately what Nyx thought. But as she was now, that was out of the question. Why would she want to know other people's thoughts? That'd be pretty rude. "I know of the word, but I am not sure if its appropriate for this context..."She looks down, confused, but desolate. Oh, she was supposed to have an emotion there? She forgot...

It was the blatant duality of her character that was most puzzling. She looked to be a bastion of pureness, and naivety, however, anyone who looked closer would find that it was all merely a facade to hide (or possibly a cage to hold) a destructive psychic killing machine. One that was designed to kill an immortal regenerator by hitting it too fast for it to regenerate, or to kill a reality warper by screaming it into a space between dimensions, of nothingness, where there was no reality left to warp.

And yet, it was inexorably intertwined with the body and appearance of such a young and almost adorable girl. So little, yet so much could be gathered simply from the way she moved and talked. From her curiosities, and her lack of common sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back