• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

RpNation App?

Do you want an RpN App? (Please read before voting)

• Not really, I use the mobile site

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey All,

So I wanted to discuss something and gauge general interest. I need you to be completely honest, I mean we will do it its cool if people want it but don't vote just for the app just for the sake of it.

• This is going to take an upfront cost from the site to provide the app to everyone for free again (Tapatalk did this and it was extremely shady and basically ran off with our money)
  • Up till now no one has ever competed with Tapatalk and this is an addon that a moderator on the official xenforo site funded in the five figures and plans to release to all xenforo community owners(the software that powers our site) for a fee.
  • Built just for Xenforo and not a billion and a half different things (like tapatalk) so it is actually built to work with all of our software's features.
  • A much more reputable company.
  • Push Notifications (woot)

However at the same time users like the mobile version of the site and its pretty neat (it won't go any where if we launch an app again)

Please vote and discuss below.

Well, if you do make an app, (OMG YAY) then those who didn't really care for one in the first place could use the mobile version still. I would love to explore a RPN app!

Even though an app would be quite the star on the tree, I quite like the mobile site. It has all features, and no limits really. So why should an app be necessary when we already have what we need?

The only way I have access to this site in class is through a VPN on my phone.

An app would make my procrastination and laziness much less of a hassle!

I'd really like a mobile app so I could get notifications and easily access the site without going through a web browser. Mostly notifications though, I don't like going to check the mobile site so often and ending up not having notifications. Just personal thoughts.

SnowFeather said:
Even though an app would be quite the star on the tree, I quite like the mobile site. It has all features, and no limits really. So why should an app be necessary when we already have what we need?
For a lot Push Notification is the holy grail, the mobile site while amazing and loading still involves going to a browser and stuff.

Imagine having an RpN button on the home screen of your phone, with both versions you give away something to get something new.

Mobile site: Actual complete site, requires browser, may not work on older phones(should for the most part though).

App: Not all features are there but extreme appeal to those who hate the mobile site and works on most phones. Push Notifications. Did I mention Push Notifications?

Maybe we could have an app which just adds push notifications? Maybe if that will work. (I had not read the above post when I posted this)

Last edited by a moderator:
The mobile version works just fine, if not better than the Tapatalk/The last app. If this is going to cost more than it's worth, I don't think it's worth it. Maybe push notifications are nice but nobody needs an RpN app.

Can't really vote since I don't have a phone that could use an app, since it's either my laptop or 3DS (Which REALLY doesn't work for this site at all) but the idea is cool.

In my experience apps seem to use much less data because of the built-in assets compared to browsers. Also it cuts down on tab use. In general I greatly prefer apps if they work better than their website counterparts. I'll vote yes, but whether I use the app depends on its quality.

Oh yeah it should have tabs (the app) otherwise I will just use the browser.

On my phone, I usually have a single tab open for each RP that I'm in. Since that browser is Safari, it's like "ugh, another tab!"

If I were to use an app, though, I'd think that navigation would be much easier, no?

A for those of you who're saying 'who needs the app?', there are plenty of people on here who would love an app over their little mobile browser.

I've a bit of Android development experience. I don't know what your background setup is but an, I imagine will mostly be API calls anyway correct?

Given the hell that is app development, I think it's probably not worth it. While notifications would be lovely the mobile site is very functional, and an app wouldn't add much to it.

Spazzycat101 said:
On my phone, I usually have a single tab open for each RP that I'm in. Since that browser is Safari, it's like "ugh, another tab!"
If I were to use an app, though, I'd think that navigation would be much easier, no?

A for those of you who're saying 'who needs the app?', there are plenty of people on here who would love an app over their little mobile browser.
Their argument is why we need one the browser dose work flawlessly so it is a pretty valid argument.

Genon said:
Seconding this.
I am glad I am not alone in my habits :)

Coward said:
Given the hell that is app development, I think it's probably not worth it. While notifications would be lovely the mobile site is very functional, and an app wouldn't add much to it.
Would just push notes be easier?

Coward said:
I wouldn't say it would be hell. A mobile app for this site would most likely be a number of API calls returning JSON objects, they can easily be parsed into java (for Android) and all the data is there.

But then again..... it wouldn't really do too much to help, most of my problems from the tablet are from bad Wi-Fi so yeah...

I see that Push Notifications are a major thing, and I get that, but having a app that almost only adds that is ,in my respective opinion, is a bad trade off.

I like using the mobile site a lot, but I awfully fond of the idea of having an app - but I have to say I hated tapatalk. I couldn't navigate it or find any of the sites stuff. It would be nice if you could just make an app that is extremely similar to the mobile site that just has push notifications.

If there is an app I want ONLY RpNation content, I don't want to have to see any other forums that aren't on the site or have to navigate through several different things to get to rpn. :/

Mobile site works fine but its a pain to continually have to open the browser, type in the address, and then log in. It would be really nice to be able to select one button and be at the page, logged in, etc.

Okay, so I'm a full time college student, and I don't always get the chance to check my emails/RpN between my classes, and I'm sure that there are a lot of other folks who work and are in a similar situation. In this instance I think an App would be great, as it would allow me to take a glance and see that someone had responded to my posts rather than having to go through the whole rigmarole of logging in and such. Especially if I'm participating in a quick-paced RP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back