• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

RpN 2.0 -Teaser-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ecstasyia said:
Oh, so it will be a separate button for EVERY code? Doesn't that seem a little cluttered? It seems very confusing >.<
Forgive me if this has been addressed already, I don't want to read through 4 pages of posts.
I asked the same question, he said it had been addressed earlier (though I can't find where either). Maybe there's a drop-down menu?

Also, with this new code coming out, I WILL SPEND COUNTLESS NIGHT STUDYING SO I CAN BECOME THE BBCODE MASTER!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
GingerBread said:
So it's not more flexible then? It's just easier for most people to use, you can't do more with it; You can do the same things easier is what you're saying
Easier and more options, thus more flexibility.

Ecstasyia said:
Oh, so it will be a separate button for EVERY code?
Not every single code will get its own button, for example some effects are built in, like image floating. You insert your image, select it and new options appear.

As someone who barely uses code, this is a great update to see. I think I am more excited for the phone app, to be honest. Definitely would love the push notifications for PM's and alerts! Being a busy bee, it would be nice to be updated when replies are actually coming in, instead of waiting till I can check in at night.

KayDuckula said:
As someone who barely uses code, this is a great update to see. I think I am more excited for the phone app, to be honest. Definitely would love the push notifications for PM's and alerts! Being a busy bee, it would be nice to be updated when replies are actually coming in, instead of waiting till I can check in at night.
Speaking of, forgot to mention that emails and notifications got a massive overhaul so you can control what you get notified for, can't wait till everyone sees.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]Speaking of, forgot to mention that emails and notifications got a massive overhaul so you can control what you get notified for, can't wait till everyone sees.

[/QUOTE]
Ooh, that sounds nice! So you're saying we could turn on something like persistent alerts for specific people/threads?

mayhem TR4NQU1L17Y] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/21862-ecstasyia/ said:
@Ecstasyia[/URL]
That won't happen in the new system because BBCoding is a dead language. No BBCoding learning from what I get.
It seems very HTML/weebly to me idk

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]Easier and more options, thus more flexibility.

[/QUOTE]
I just don't believe this. It seems limiting more than anything else since we can't mess around with the code like we're able to now, we'll have to use premade code; There may be more options, but that doesn't make it any more flexible, it just sounds like it will be less flexible.

Like I'd understand all this, if it was a needed change because the site could no longer support BBCode or something like that, and none of us really had a choice in the matter either way. But it sounds like you're just adding this in because it works better for you. I mean, I'm probably going to have to deal with it regardless, but in my eyes, it makes BBCode less nice, with this new stuff, it will always seem like a wasted effort in my eyes, since it's not special anymore, it's not something that you'd have to put a lot of effort into doing.

GingerBread said:
I just don't believe this. It seems limiting more than anything else since we can't mess around with the code like we're able to now, we'll have to use premade code; There may be more options, but that doesn't make it any more flexible, it just sounds like it will be less flexible.
Like I'd understand all this, if it was a needed change because the site could no longer support BBCode or something like that, and none of us really had a choice in the matter either way. But it sounds like you're just adding this in because it works better for you. I mean, I'm probably going to have to deal with it regardless, but in my eyes, it makes BBCode less nice, with this new stuff, it will always seem like a wasted effort in my eyes, since it's not special anymore, it's not something that you'd have to put a lot of effort into doing.
Don't put it off, yet. IT sounds scary since, like you, I had gotten really use to coding and quite enjoy it. It makes me feel quite talented, but we have not seen the works yet. Wiz is a professional coder so I am sure he has your interest at heart, but we will not know final thoughts until we actually see it in action so try and stay positive and prepare, because I feel you might end up liking it more than what you have envisioned

GingerBread said:
ike I'd understand all this, if it was a needed change because the site could no longer support BBCode or something like that, and none of us really had a choice in the matter either way. But it sounds like you're just adding this in because it works better for you. I mean, I'm probably going to have to deal with it regardless, but in my eyes, it makes BBCode less nice, with this new stuff, it will always seem like a wasted effort in my eyes, since it's not special anymore, it's not something that you'd have to put a lot of effort into doing.
We seem to have a misunderstanding in exactly what I mean. Its going to ASK YOU for all the same options that codes already having. You just don't get to type the code out, doesn't mean the editor won't ask with an input box for things like colors, sizes, number, etc. Everything you have to put in your self already.

Wild Wolf Wind] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/1-the-dark-wizard/ said:
@The Dark Wizard[/URL] is there an exact date or maybe a certain time frame for the release?
Some time before 2017.

Some of the best coders on the site, @welian and @Anomaly who whose inputs have shaped the existing system and work on the newsletter and have made some of the more complex effects the site has ever seen, have given their stamp of approval on the new version as they've seen it.

@GingerBread

This. You summed up what I'm feeling. I can accept an update that's needed if it's dead. But, if you're going to try and sell a "flexible" system, I can't see it having that awe inspiring feel and soul that a lot of these formats have. Honestly, I came to RPNation because its coding system was the coolest I've seen in a long time. How it's being describe just unnerves me and leaves me wondering how much "freedom" I'm going to have in this system. Which, from the attempt to pitch the idea.. it's not going well at all.

DemonKitten said:
Don't put it off, yet. IT sounds scary since, like you, I had gotten really use to coding and quite enjoy it. It makes me feel quite talented, but we have not seen the works yet. Wiz is a professional coder so I am sure he has your interest at heart, but we will not know final thoughts until we actually see it in action so try and stay positive and prepare, because I feel you might end up liking it more than what you have envisioned
Don't get me wrong, I hate having to do the coding sometimes. But once I've finished doing it, it always feels amazing. Because I've sunk time and effort into that and I feel proud of it. And this new stuff, seems to be taking that whole feeling away from me, You know?

GingerBread said:
Don't get me wrong, I hate having to do the coding sometimes. But once I've finished doing it, it always feels amazing. Because I've sunk time and effort into that and I feel proud of it. And this new stuff, seems to be taking that whole feeling away from me, You know?
Yeah, I have had a little more time to adjust to it and start to see the more exciting parts of it. I panicked at first, so I understand why a lot of you are skeptical.

I'm feeling a little better if we can still pretty much do what we've already been doing...but I know that it's probably going to take a lot longer to get things done (in terms of coding) for those who know how to BBcode since we'll have to do things like searching for a specific color every time we need it instead of just being able to copy and paste from a palette. We'll also have to spend time searching for buttons...

That and I really liked some of my old codes >w>

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]No more coding, there is no bbcode parser built into the editor. The one requiring a popup interface is just for the big ones like accordion but basic ones like background colors and other stuff is just as simple as selecting the text and clicking the button.
The BBCode langauge is a dead language from the 90s and its become increasingly difficult to maintain and make new ones. Most modern software have already begun dropping support for it and we will do the same. Its the same effects you are used to seeing/using, just applied faster/easier. I guess it could be a pain if you dislike interacting with the editor.

[/QUOTE]
Personally, I love the BBCode! I mean, yes, it makes me want to rip my hair our (I nearly kneeled over and died trying to get the accordions to work), but anytime I finish, it's like "Wow...I did that!" It makes me feel special. Like a coder. And, BBCode is an excellent way to give users some personal style and a sense of accomplishment. Imputting a new system feels like it would be clunky and confusing. There are so many BBCodes that RPN allows that to try to navigate them all in one space seems like it would be very difficult, and I can already see myself becoming lost.

I think it's fun to manually type in the code, is what I'm saying. But we trust you, Mr. Dark Wizard. You'll do us proud.

Nano said:
I'm feeling a little better if we can still pretty much do what we've already been doing...but I know that it's probably going to take a lot longer to get things done (in terms of coding) for those who know how to BBcode since we'll have to do things like searching for a specific color every time we need it instead of just being able to copy and paste from a palette. We'll also have to spend time searching for buttons...
That and I really liked some of my old codes >w>
Agreed. I have four different codes, really:

1. The one I am using now, which is just a change of font and color

2. Ones for introduction to threads that are not used for roleplaying

3. Ones used for tabs and accordions

4. Ones for roleplay introductions and character sheets

It's very easy to copy and paste it all.

mayhem TR4NQU1L17Y] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/22497-gingerbread/ said:
@GingerBread[/URL]
This. You summed up what I'm feeling. I can accept an update that's needed if it's dead. But, if you're going to try and sell a "flexible" system, I can't see it having that awe inspiring feel and soul that a lot of these formats have. Honestly, I came to RPNation because its coding system was the coolest I've seen in a long time. How it's being describe just unnerves me and leaves me wondering how much "freedom" I'm going to have in this system. Which, from the attempt to pitch the idea.. it's not going well at all.
Well, the site is really about rping and not the coding itself. The fancy editing has only ever really been to enhance the rp experience. It's supposed to make it easy and accessible to people will all kinds of coding experience- because you won't need much to use this new editor except an imagination and inspiration. A lot of new users who have no experience with coding struggle with even using "simple" codes like tabs.

I don't think you can really compare one to having more freedom than the other. There might not be some customizing options that the old one had (although all the features themselves should still be there), but it also has new ones too. I don't think you should totally discount the new editor before using it, you've only seen one example so far. ^^

mayhem TR4NQU1L17Y] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/22497-gingerbread/ said:
@GingerBread[/URL]
Technic said:
Agreed. I have four different codes, really:
1. The one I am using now, which is just a change of font and color

2. Ones for introduction to threads that are not used for roleplaying

3. Ones used for tabs and accordions

4. Ones for roleplay introductions and character sheets

It's very easy to copy and paste it all.
You can select an accordion or any other effect and copy and paste it, just like you would do coding :D

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]You can select an accordion or any other effect and copy and paste it, just like you would do coding :D

[/QUOTE]
Wait...?

If you can copy and paste accordions and effects...why are we unable to copy and paste the code in its entirety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back