• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

RP System in 2.0 -Teaser-

@The Dark Wizard Currently things such as BBcode can be a bit finicky and difficult to use. It can lead to code put up to be used as a template to break or have the site automatically 'fix' things that ends up breaking the code in how it was originally set up to be used. With this new RP system, is there any plans to help ensure template posts (such as for character sheets and what not) will function correctly with BB code or to give the BB Code editor better functionality for ease of use?

I for one am really in favour of this update. Though I could be biased since I spent like, three years with BBcode and pretty much know all there is to know about it.

It's really taking a lot of the elements I liked from other rp sites and putting them here, especially the acceptance system, it helps with applications for characters, though I see why not everyone likes doing it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Axel1313 said:
I'm not against change but just mostly unnecessary change.
The new format is only like.....2 years old. -.- and just right right now....no change needed really. Maybe upgrade the performance but that's about it for now! You shoulda seen it before.

More people being able to edit the rp may actually be a bad thing...get one person with a grudge or disrespectful and that would not be good..

Making 1x1 private would be nice though. But as I'm sayin, a lot of these updates look waaaaay more complicated than need be.

like, keep the old format right now and just add some nice things, not impossible and nothing gets messed up....I still got messed up forums from the last update too...

Also tabs, the tabs are fantastic. Oooooh I've never had such organized rps! Tabs must be kept.

And actually, they used to have banners here, but it caused too much lag and too many problems so that's why they got rid of them. So As much as I love those too, not sure how that would go seeing as how it effected the site before. Caused it to crash regularly.
Gotta welcome changes with open arms <3

Hanarei said:
@The Dark Wizard Currently things such as BBcode can be a bit finicky and difficult to use. It can lead to code put up to be used as a template to break or have the site automatically 'fix' things that ends up breaking the code in how it was originally set up to be used. With this new RP system, is there any plans to help ensure template posts (such as for character sheets and what not) will function correctly with BB code or to give the BB Code editor better functionality for ease of use?
There's a new editor being created entirely that will negate bbcode. There was a thread on it a few days back.

The Dark Wizard] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/21862-ecstasyia/ said:
@Ecstasyia[/URL]
You misspelled a word in your banner :) !
I know, I was to lazy to go back and change it. Thanks for looking out though!

I just don't really see it working out too well....least not this update. Like I keep saying. Seems way more complicated than needed...there are some changes that need to be made but the ones they're showing look a little absurd.

At least keep the forum style as it is right now. It really is absolutely perfect. Simple enough and even works on mobile real well too Add whatever ya want but leave the forum style be! I don't wanna go through the manual transfer thing again! x3 That really was a massive pain, especially for those with a lot of rps.

Also....phones kinda hate BBC . Lol. Least mine does, looking at a character in CS with a mostly BBC format makes it illegible and in symbols and a different language sometimes too. Not the best when trying to accept a character.

Axel1313 said:
Also....phones kinda hate BBC . Lol. Least mine does, looking at a character in CS with a mostly BBC format makes it illegible and in symbols and a different language sometimes too. Not the best when trying to accept a character.
Good god, this.

Axel1313 said:
Ya really just gotta think of the technical parts here! Gold covered poop is shiny and fancy too but still stinks in the end.
The format now also works well with those who don't have the best interwebs...less to load, less troubles with it.
Do you know anything about the forum world? Other than just as a user?

Do you know anything about forum software, and the communities that surround the development of said software?

The point I'm making is, sometimes change may not be wanted but is needed to preserve upgrade paths, enhance user experience and in turn keep a community alive and thriving.

So no, it's not just about gold plateded poop, it's about preserving the longevity of a community.

@Axel1313 The forum will be on a new software, hence the huge updates. The new software has better developer support, which means that when things break (and they will) Wiz will have access to professionals that will help him put things back together again. That kind of stability and reliability is priceless, don't you think?

Axel1313 said:
I just don't really see it working out too well....least not this update. Like I keep saying. Seems way more complicated than needed...there are some changes that need to be made but the ones they're showing look a little absurd.
At least keep the forum style as it is right now. It really is absolutely perfect. Simple enough and even works on mobile real well too Add whatever ya want but leave the forum style be! I don't wanna go through the manual transfer thing again! x3 That really was a massive pain, especially for those with a lot of rps.

The update is not going to suddenly not exist. Just give it a rest and give it a chance when it comes out.

The update is not really more complicated then the existing system. If anything its a little easier and has much wanted features that users have been requesting for a pretty long itme.

Nonagon said:
What about threads like interest checks/discussions/forum games/anything that's not an RP?
I'd imagine having to click into the thread and then navigate subforums would just clutter them up, so will they remain as they are now?
I hate to repost, but my question was smothered in the hype, and I don't see it addressed in OP's first post.

Axel1313 said:

You haven't actually experienced the update. Can't knock it till you tried it, as they say - our resident Wizard will make even what seems impossible enjoyable. :P

The forum style is evolving, and it should work absolutely fine on mobile.

BBCode shouldn't work any differently on your phone. If it does, you could always ask your players to include a copy with no formatting.

Axel1313 said:
Also....phones kinda hate BBC
[QUOTE="Call Me Lucifer]Good god, this.

[/QUOTE]
Meredith said:
BBCode shouldn't work any differently on your phone.
The new way codes are done should also make them completely mobile friendly.

But regardless, this is not the thread for that, please stay on topic :) !

Nonagon said:
I hate to repost, but my question was smothered in the hype, and I don't see it addressed in OP's first post.
Interest checks will still be as easy to use as they currently are, don't worry :) !

Spirit said:
I for one am really in favour of this update. Though I could be biased since I spent like, three years with BBcode and pretty much know all there is to know about it.
It's really taking a lot of the elements I liked from other rp sites and putting them here, especially the acceptance system, it helps with applications for characters, though I see why not everyone likes doing it that way.
I support the update to the RP system, but I'm not sure about the update to the editor. I'm not great at BBCode (or at least the BBCode tutorial makes me look like some BBCode noob), that's not the reason. I'm just not sure exactly how the editor will turn out. I like this current style: Screenshot

I know I'll have no choice on this matter but at least maybe give some opinions as well. Just like the last time an update happened.

Although I do ask to please do keep prefixes and tabs if you can though. Those are sooooo handy you have no idea. They are my lifelines on this site like bookmarks are. x3 Make things easier and are nice to direct people to if needed.

And I was just bringin it up with the other bbc stuff. Could just be my phone and always just check on my laptop anyway. It's more a funny messup than a pain or massive problem. Mostly like reading simlish. lol

[QUOTE="Elle Joyner]There's a new editor being created entirely that will negate bbcode. There was a thread on it a few days back.

[/QUOTE]Ah didn't see that announcement. Hopefully its not going to completely scrap it for the sake of finesse, though I suppose I'll have to wait and see. ^^:;

@The Dark Wizard

Shiny update is shiny *_* I personally like it, although I can see how some people like tabs more. By the way, is there a way for this new system to navigate through threads without having to go back to the RP's main page? That's the upside of tabs and it would be great if we can have it here.

Hanarei said:
Ah didn't see that announcement. Hopefully its not going to completely scrap it for the sake of finesse, though I suppose I'll have to wait and see. ^^:;
Riuma said:
I support the update to the RP system, but I'm not sure about the update to the editor.
Please keep this thread on topic - this isn't the place to discuss the editor.

Axel1313 said:
I know I'll have no choice on this matter but at least maybe give some opinions as well. Just like the last time an update happened.
Although I do ask to please do keep prefixes and tabs if you can though. Those are sooooo handy you have no idea. They are my lifelines on this site like bookmarks are. x3 Make things easier and are nice to direct people to if needed.

And I was just bringin it up with the other bbc stuff. Could just be my phone and always just check on my laptop anyway. It's more a funny messup than a pain or massive problem. Mostly like reading simlish. lol
We're trying to keep everyone happy, but I don't think leaving past options behind would be possible with this update.

ViAdvena said:
@The Dark Wizard
Shiny update is shiny *_* I personally like it, although I can see how some people like tabs more. By the way, is there a way for this new system to navigate through threads without having to go back to the RP's main page? That's the upside of tabs and it would be great if we can have it here.
I'll see what can be done :) !

I'm making plans to expand my roleplay to fifty players, instead of only thirty. I think it can be done, with this RP groups. I plan to shatter the site's record for largest group roleplay (in terms of players).

welian said:
I'm making plans to expand my roleplay to fifty players, instead of only thirty. I think it can be done, with this RP groups. I plan to shatter the site's record for largest group roleplay (in terms of players).
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN, I wish you luck, Welian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back