Viewpoint Roleplaying with younger roleplayers?

How does exclusionary behavior benefit the community of RpNation?
I'm not the biggest fan of labeling people having preferences as being "exclusionary behavior", tbh.

I mean, what's next? Are we to stop including post length requirements in rps as those are "exclusionary behavior" to those who can't meet them?

Getting feedback from minors might also be helpful, since they're the ones the solutions are intended for. Giving them a space to explain their experiences, without adults giving their edification, might provide a good picture? Most of the time it is just one or two minors posting in a thread here or there.

There is no solution, and that's okay. To be honest, I don't think there's even a problem.

This is just part of life. The way we choose our friends can be arbitrary at times.

As for specifically responding to the first post and staying on topic - I don't mind RPing with teenagers. I don't find it strange. I'm almost 30, and RPing is far from the only hobby that encompasses intergenerational friendships. If the teens don't want to play pretend with an old woman, that's no skin off my back. If I make someone uncomfortable, they don't have to spend time around me. And if someone makes me uncomfortable, I don't have to spend time around them. This is one of the many ways we are free to curate our own online experiences.

Not every table/thread is for every player, and that's okay.

The right to refuse service comes to mind for me. Or from way back, playground rules.

I don't have to play with you. I started the xyz game and I don't want zyx in it. Great. But then there are going to be others that are just happy to be involved in a round of jump rope no matter who is there.

Be direct. Be polite and carry on.

There is no solution, and that's okay. To be honest, I don't think there's even a problem.

This is just part of life. The way we choose our friends can be arbitrary at times.

As for specifically responding to the first post and staying on topic - I don't mind RPing with teenagers. I don't find it strange. I'm almost 30, and RPing is far from the only hobby that encompasses intergenerational friendships. If the teens don't want to play pretend with an old woman, that's no skin off my back. If I make someone uncomfortable, they don't have to spend time around me. And if someone makes me uncomfortable, I don't have to spend time around them. This is one of the many ways we are free to curate our own online experiences.

Not every table/thread is for every player, and that's okay.
I really agree with Welian. No need to add to a system that is not broken. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We do not plan to add any sub-forums for adults and minors at this point. The truth of the matter is that minors use the site, and we allow adult content as allowed by US law except erotic content.

Users are always welcome to state their preferences in their threads as they currently are, from who they want to RP with to the kinds of RPs they want to participate in and the pairings they are looking for.

You are also welcome to use the open tag system for this. We'd prefer if more polite tags were used, like "adults only" vs no minors. Another example is that if you want a straight pairing, please use m/f and not "no lgbt". The same goes in reverse.

We might make certain tags have colors based on "adults only" and other ratings like violence, triggers, mental health, drugs, etc.

I made this test screenshot for the staff as part of our private discussions in a few minutes, so it would most likely look better if we did something like this:

1666822483332.png

Again, these are tags you can already use, the system is open as long as you don't break any site rules like putting offensive slurs as a tag.

We also have the really popular RP preferences tool.

1666825808455.png

That could see an update, there's already several methods we are discussing on how to properly facilitate ratings and such without segregating the site into "Adult" and Minor sections and replicating all of our sections like 9 times to accommodate that, which we can't realistically enforce anyway. The ultimate issue that will arise from that will be the minors, who will be honest and stick to their sections, and the adults who won't and pretend to be minors to get near people and be creepers, making it easier to just find people to target. We already have to ban enough sickos as it is every year.

As a note: We used to have the site split into different writing levels in the early 2010s, the site got more popular when we took that down and let people put it in their preferences instead.

As long as there’s some solution in place that’s fine. I’m tired of these exclusion posts from people feeling left out. But making things clear with tags works just as well and would make finding partners easier for people that are having trouble.

As long as there’s some solution in place that’s fine. I’m tired of these exclusion posts from people feeling left out. But making things clear with tags works just as well and would make finding partners easier for people that are having trouble.

Absolutely, we've been talking about it since last night and are already discussing several ways we can do it and how feasible they are, replicating the site and splitting it down for minors and adults and creating 12 extra sections is not really the way to do it.

Though, I want to point out, that most people already list their preferences and are polite about it. The site is used by thousands of active users.

I agree that more organizational tools is better, I mean we are a writing site, more of filtering is always better, but let's not make it seem like the site is a cesspool of hate towards X group or preference.

I never disagreed with you? And who spoke of hate?

I apologize, I didn't mean to state that you disagreed with me, or spoke of hate. We've been getting tickets and PMs on the subject and there definitely have been people expressing how if we don't do something the site will just get destroyed.

I meant it more as a general statement, but I didn't separate it well enough, since I was also quoting you.

I just want to make sure peeps understand that we are definitely discussing it.

Staff have been logging in, we have some really in depth conversations in the staff sections and on discord.

1666827684879.png

Oh okay. Makes sense. I was like whoa. But I understand and appreciate y’all for taking the time out of your day for all resolutions. I know it can be overwhelming with that big a member base so I definitely appreciate y’all.

Thanks for looking into the matter and finding a way to move forward!

We try to take all feedback seriously, and we are more than willing to alter tools, create things and stuff as desired by the userbase. We've been around since 2008, and we are one of the largest RP sites in the world thanks to all the wonderful people that use the site.

Just wanted to make sure that everyone understood that splitting the site down for minors and adults and then replicating every section (group, 1x1, etc) for each age group is not really the way to go. For the same reason that we don't split the site for LGBT and straight content.

Almost all updates we have been done for the last decade+ are because of feedback we get. We are talking about this now.
Here is a screenshot of my alerts page:
alerts.png

My alerts are moving too fast, so I'll do 13 minutes and back.

One of the big things coming out soon is a nice dice system that will have proper support for D&D, Exalted, Pathfinder, Vampire, whatever system people want to play. If your system uses successes, critical, whatever, the dice roller will be able to support it.

Last edited:
One of the big things coming out soon is a nice dice system that will have proper support for D&D, Exalted, Pathfinder, Vampire, whatever system people want to play. If your system uses successes, critical, whatever, the dice roller will be able to support it.
Nifty! It would be nice to see the dice recruitment come to life more. Better support can definitely help.

Oh okay. Makes sense. I was like whoa. But I understand and appreciate y’all for taking the time out of your day for all resolutions. I know it can be overwhelming with that big a member base so I definitely appreciate y’all.

Thank you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back