Other Roleplay Pet peeves

I'm legally obligated to post it here whenever it happens.

I'm begging you to stop using 5pt font when making your searches. You might not be blind and I love that for you but some of us are. And when you don't offer an accessible version it aggravates me to no end.

It's be nice if people running roleplays revolving around superpowers would make up their mind if they want to limit players to one power per character or not.

Either options works perfectly fine on their own but you're just gaining the worst of both sides if you try and combine them.

My pet peeve is based on myself - someone writes an amazing starter or reply, and my mind is blank. I don't know how to write back, match the amazing length and description, and it makes me cry.

Sheesh... Through my 6+ years of writing/ roleplaying, I've discovered so many areas & factors that annoyed me, whether it's the way a character is designed, the absence of description, or the pressure of having to think a scenario out without a dose of my partner's input.

Though, I think it's the idea of a *doormat* character where I mostly get provoked from. Not to start anything controversial here or cause offense, but it is downright frustrating to deal with someone who decides that the main basis of their OC is to put them through endless traumatic situations, and often you have to step in and be the "hero". That's just about it. Sort of like- The damsel in distress, but it applies to everyone. And at some point, it basically becomes a competition at who's the most screwed up lol

Though, I think it's the idea of a *doormat* character where I mostly get provoked from. Not to start anything controversial here or cause offense, but it is downright frustrating to deal with someone who decides that the main basis of their OC is to put them through endless traumatic situations, and often you have to step in and be the "hero". That's just about it. Sort of like- The damsel in distress, but it applies to everyone. And at some point, it basically becomes a competition at who's the most screwed up lol

Lmao this gets rough because I want my character to go through shit too, yo. Not necessarily traumatic stuff, but I want them to have a struggle/obstacle to overcome because that's kind of the basis of a good story and character development. But they have to stay so busy dealing with someone else who is going through a crisis every two mins 😂

HNNNNG!! That was me! That was little baby 13-year old newbie RPer me!

I meaaan~ I'm pretty sure this was everyone at some point in their earlier stages of writing LOL. I was also guilty of this, but I've learned from being called out and seeing it in past RP partners. But yeah, it gets a lil tough when someone is either getting kidnapped or targeted every second

I think for me it’s when people are clearly only self interested. Like they care about their character, their enjoyment, their comfort, etc. and just expect you to be thrilled to accommodate their whims.

Group RPs which require Discord for OOC should use some sort of flair/tag to indicate that, before I click on 'em and get my hopes up. Or have their own recruitment forum? At this point I don't even read plots before I check the rules/info in a recruitment thread. What's the point?

Group RPs which require Discord for OOC should use some sort of flair/tag to indicate that, before I click on 'em and get my hopes up. Or have their own recruitment forum? At this point I don't even read plots before I check the rules/info in a recruitment thread. What's the point?
Yes. No hate at all to people who love using Discord for OOC, but it's so disappointing to go through a recruitment thread and love the idea, only to find out the OOC is on Discord. Even worse when they don't state it, and you state your interest, only to find out a week later the OOC will be on Discord.

Yes. No hate at all to people who love using Discord for OOC, but it's so disappointing to go through a recruitment thread and love the idea, only to find out the OOC is on Discord. Even worse when they don't state it, and you state your interest, only to find out a week later the OOC will be on Discord.
Exactly! I didn't go hunting for a decent forum RP site to find threads that require me to use a different platform. The older I get, the more I want to partition areas of my life so they don't spill over into each other. RP goes here. Discord chat with friends goes there. I don't want to connect everything.

People not cooperating when it comes to fleshing out plots. It has happened to me a couple of times that I posted a prompt, a potential partner messaged me, saying nothing but "hey, this is a cool idea" and when I asked them for more thoughts on the matter, they were like: "Lmfao, I'm not going to build the plot alone??? YOU should contribute as well?"

My sibling in Christ, I have contributed already; now it's your turn. Or what, do you think the prompt materialized out of nowhere?

Bonus points for having my ideas called shallow because I intentionally designed them with my future partner's input in mind 🙃 Bro, if you don't like them, why are you messaging me in the first place?

tl;dr: I'm too old for negging and I will leave the convo the second someone pulls that shit. Thank god I have such lovely partners right now because the searching phase can get rough, lol

I find it a shame when RPers refuse to let their characters be flawed. I was once in a RP where a player was constantly singing the praises of their favored PC through their other characters as if the Favored PC was a godsend to the game itself. There was a scene where the Favored PC insulted my PC which angered my PC greatly. Now I thought, "This is good stuff! I want to see where this goes!"

Later on in the game, my PC saw the Favored PC, and in my post I shared my character's inner thoughts about the Favored PC, about how they were still angry by what FPC said about them and such. In the other person's immediate post, Favored PC apologized right then and there, as though they've read my character's mind, and that was it. Problem solved!

It was such a disappointment to me because I thought the conflict between our two characters would lead to some great scenes and future character development, but NOPE!

I also hate it when you end up stuck with that kind of "emo, bland" character in a roleplay. Never makes a move or effort to carry out the storyline. Always reacts rather than act, and you always gotta' be the one making the first move.

Not finding a specific pairing although the series is still going strong and popular.

When the RP pendulum swings to the "lots of 'active' RPs, but they're down to 1-2 replies a month and maybe I need more?" side of things, and I know I shouldn't pick up more stories because inevitably all my current partners will get past being busy and slam my inbox on the same day xD (Once I had 7 people come back to life in 48 hours after anywhere from 30 days to 6 months and I was like oh dear, what have I gotten myself into...LOL)

I also hate it when you end up stuck with that kind of "emo, bland" character in a roleplay. Never makes a move or effort to carry out the storyline. Always reacts rather than act, and you always gotta' be the one making the first move.
This reminds me of a very annoying problem I had when I RPed in MMORPGs like WoW: I go to a popular RP spot in the game and everyone is a wallflower waiting for someone to initiate the RP!

I hate it when a person's justification for not allowing a certain type of character in a historical setting is "it was very rare." Like when you're in a roleplay, your characters are the focus of the story. There's no reason why someone can't be an exception.

Ghosting. I came here hoping to find at least one RP partner. So far not a single person has actually stayed. I'm lucky if we get a couple of responses in. Nobody actually RPs anymore. They just say they want to and disappear. I haven't had an actual RP going since 2018 because nobody to do anything besides post plots, OCs and pairings/fandoms. Nobody follows through with anything anymore.

When someone posts an interest check, gets plenty of interest and more than enough approved character submissions, only to disappear and not start the RP. The number of times this has happened here is mind numbingly infuriated. Consider my peeve well petted.

I really dislike when people make characters that undermine the themes of the roleplay.

For example, back when My Hero Academia was all the rage I joined a roleplay with the premise that the players characters were students that had failed the entrance exam to the more prestigious schools and were thus forced to attend literally the worst hero school in the country.

Pretty straightforward plot that deals with the theme of "defying expectations" as our characters would have grown and showed that they were equally capable heroes as those that did get into the best schools.

Except that got ruined almost immediately because literally 9 out of 10 people made characters that were explicitly said to have been able to pass the entrance exams to the more prestigious schools if it wasn't for some kind of technicality.

When someone posts an interest check, gets plenty of interest and more than enough approved character submissions, only to disappear and not start the RP. The number of times this has happened here is mind numbingly infuriated. Consider my peeve well petted.
I know I know this thread doesn’t allow for quoting but I wanted to piggyback off this statement. Two reasons why I will only do group roleplays with people I know
1. I am tired of cliques where everyone else knows each other and I’m on the outside getting treated very differently.
2. A majority of the ones I’ve joined (here or other websites) never take off. Or if they do get started, I get my intro post and it’s dead.

Groups are infinitely harder to run and I’ve learned this as I’ve started running them myself. But a big reason I’ll do it with people I know is because I know their life schedule. I know when posts are behind because of what’s happening with them off the internet. It’s not always like this, but I would venture to guess about 90% of the ones I’ve done have died right around the time characters get approved.

I know I know this thread doesn’t allow for quoting but I wanted to piggyback off this statement. Two reasons why I will only do group roleplays with people I know
1. I am tired of cliques where everyone else knows each other and I’m on the outside getting treated very differently.
2. A majority of the ones I’ve joined (here or other websites) never take off. Or if they do get started, I get my intro post and it’s dead.

Groups are infinitely harder to run and I’ve learned this as I’ve started running them myself. But a big reason I’ll do it with people I know is because I know their life schedule. I know when posts are behind because of what’s happening with them off the internet. It’s not always like this, but I would venture to guess about 90% of the ones I’ve done have died right around the time characters get approved.
Gonna quote cause I feel this hard especially number one. I left a site for that reason.

when people want to put their characters through difficult situations but don't want to deal with what the reality of what that means. if your character isn't really impacted by something at all, it doesn't mean anything that it happened. at a certain point, you're just making a tragic backstory as though that alone is what makes things interesting.

conversely, when people  refuse to put their characters through difficult situations. it's incredibly boring to me if you never want your character to struggle, be wrong, or be wronged. there should be conflict! every character should face issues and deal with the aftermath of them, that's how they can change and be examined.

when people want to put their characters through difficult situations but don't want to deal with what the reality of what that means. if your character isn't really impacted by something at all, it doesn't mean anything that it happened. at a certain point, you're just making a tragic backstory as though that alone is what makes things interesting.

conversely, when people  refuse to put their characters through difficult situations. it's incredibly boring to me if you never want your character to struggle, be wrong, or be wronged. there should be conflict! every character should face issues and deal with the aftermath of them, that's how they can change and be examined.
It's funny how I've never actually dealt with that situation before. Normally, it was the total opposite for me where folks decided that it'd be entertaining to put their characters through endless trauma. However, I can agree with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back