Roleplay Pet Peeves

Lol most of that was Greek to me. But yeah I know the name is Umbri.e. It's just my IPad automatically autocorrects to Umbria. 

And yeah what your describing is just a self-insert. And there isn't really anything wrong with it ( well to me, other people can and do disagree )

For me it's when someone shoves their character down my throats with how awesome and amazing the person thinks they are. It's like yeah I don't care how perfect you think your character is. Me and my characters will form their own opinions. 

But yeah other than that I don't mind what kind of character you make. I mean if it doesn't fit the roleplay I won't let you play them but that doesn't really bother me.

what i mean to say. is most D&D players play Self Inserts most of the the time. and i'm sorry for Shoving Umbrie down everyone's throats. depending on the RP, i might make Umbrie a Fey, i might make her an Italian Otaku, i might make her a Pharmacist, i might call her by her Birth name of Ilina and make Umbrie her Screen Handle, but she is usually portrayed as an educated, intelligent, and social female character. even if i stick her in a medieval setting, she is probably one of the few literate females in a world where most men don't usually educate their daughters.

what i mean to say. is most D&D players play Self Inserts most of the the time. and i'm sorry for Shoving Umbrie down everyone's throats. depending on the RP, i might make Umbrie a Fey, i might make her an Italian Otaku, i might make her a Pharmacist, i might call her by her Birth name of Ilina and make Umbrie her Screen Handle, but she is usually portrayed as an educated, intelligent, and social female character. even if i stick her in a medieval setting, she is probably one of the few literate females in a world where most men don't usually educate their daughters.

lol I think the problem is you identify with her too much to be honest. So you have a compulsive need to share what you believe are her best attributes with the world. As you mentioned in another thread it's like a mother compulsively bragging about how awesome her daughter is.

And while that's a perfectly human response, just imagine if a stranger came up to you and started going on and on about how great each and every one of their kids were. And they did this for several hours. Sure for the first ten to twenty minutes it would be fine. But as first hour flew by and the second one came closer you would start to get a little sick of hearing about their kids.

Especially if it's a stranger and therefore you have no idea who their children even are and thus have no emotional investment in whether or not they are great, terrible, or the second coming of jesus christ.

Now that being said to be honest you mentioning Umbrie doesn't really bother me that much. As long as you stay on topic in the thread I'm okay with it. Just like don't take what people are saying as a direct attack on your character. Often times they aren't talking about you at all and just venting about things that bother them in general.

For instance when I was talking about people shoving their characters down your throat I wasn't talking about you at all. Sure you might be a little pushy at times but ultimately your harmless and your coming from a good place.

I mean when people say their character is the most amazing, popular, prettiest, most talented person in the roleplay world. And they do absolutely nothing to back that up. They just expect everyone in the roleplay to take their word that the character is awesome and force their own characters to blindly worship this perfect specimen. 

Like no. People form relationships with others for a reason. My character isn't going to like your character for no reason. If you want them to date or be friends or your character to be admired by mine. Well you had better give me some kind of incentive to work with. Don't just tell me - your character worships mine. Um No. No they don't. 

thankies. i actually try to come up with reasons for friendships, even if they are the most cliche, poorly thought out or overused excuses. i actually also try to go above and beyond to roleplay with the more timid, shy or socially awkward roleplayers and try to help newer or less experienced people learn to develop a baseline for their character that is more than simply a number of tropes equal to the number of digits on a single standard adult human hand. i might not have won many RP fights outside of Dice RPs, but i can say i know when to surrender and when to run away.

in most of the RP fights that i did win, the victory condition usually wasn't to kill X Character, but rather, to achieve some other vital objective like procure the Macguffin or disable the Alarms so somebody else could enter. in other words, Umbrie was designed for infiltration and blending in rather than actually fighting. i mean, she technically can fight if she needed to, but she usually doesn't. most people focus on the sneak up and backstab portion of the assassin class, Umbrie focused on the intelligence gathering and reconnaissance  portion. in other words, a social character who happened to pick up a lot of stuff by talking to others.

many people, even in Dice RPs, usually try to send the stealthy character alone. but nobody ever wants to back up the stealthy character because there is this assumed rule of 1 PC of each Archetype, which i usually don't abide by, which leads to lone rogues trying to sneak and dying because they can't get a flanking partner, overestimate the power of a sneak attack, or forget that the sneaky character is screwed the moment they procure the Macguffin and need Emergency Extraction ASAP.

the fights i did win, were on dice RPs, or with people who were kind enough to give me a stealthy companion who could at least throw off the attention of the guards while i took the macguffin. because out of 12 core D&D classes in 5e. the only Sneaky ones are the Rogue and Ranger by Default. but bard and monk can be built to pick up stealth with the right archetype. and Ranger isn't usually one of the core 4. meaning you generally need a 5th or 6th player before you can afford a ranger.

Last edited by a moderator:
thankies. i actually try to come up with reasons for friendships, even if they are the most cliche, poorly thought out or overused excuses. i actually also try to go above and beyond to roleplay with the more timid, shy or socially awkward roleplayers and try to help people learn to develop a baseline for their character that is more than simply a number of tropes equal to the number of digits on a standard adult human hand. i might not have won many RP fights outside of Dice RPs, but i can say i know when to surrender and when to run away.

in most of the RP fights that i did win, the victory condition usually wasn't to kill X Character, but rather, to achieve some other vital objective like procure the Macguffin or disable the Alarms so somebody else could enter. in other words, Umbrie was designed for infiltration and blending in rather than actually fighting. i mean, she technically can fight if she needed to, but she usually doesn't. most people focus on the sneak up and backstab portion of the assassin class, Umbrie focused on the intelligence gathering and reconnaissance  portion. in other words, a social character who happened to pick up a lot of stuff by talking to others.

Any reason your talking fighting tactics? lol you lost me with that seque.

Any reason your talking fighting tactics? lol you lost me with that seque.

Dice RPGs have 80% of their rules dedicated to combat mechanics on average and a lot of the sites i did non-dice roleplays on were generally sites like Aniroleplay where people refused to build balanced characters, refused to use dice, picked the most overpowered character they could from some anime and took liberties to make them stronger, so i often had to look for objectives in these "Guild Wars" (not the game by the same name) where i could use Umbrie's skillset and not have to fight these overpowered opponents in direct combat.

Dice RPGs have 80% of their rules dedicated to combat mechanics on average and a lot of the sites i did non-dice roleplays on were generally sites like Aniroleplay where people refused to build balanced characters, refused to use dice, picked the most overpowered character they could from some anime and took liberties to make them stronger, so i often had to look for objectives in these "Guild Wars" (not the game by the same name) where i could use Umbrie's skillset and not have to fight these overpowered opponents in direct combat.

Ah. Still not sure what that had to do with the conversation but thanks for making that clearer. I was like...I don't get it. What is she talking about??

So I'm guessing you don't like it when people stack their characters with unrealistic abilities then? Is that what your trying to get at?

Ah. Still not sure what that had to do with the conversation but thanks for making that clearer. I was like...I don't get it. What is she talking about??

So I'm guessing you don't like it when people stack their characters with unrealistic abilities then? Is that what your trying to get at?

i don't like it when people pile on abilities with no Ryhme, Reason or Theme.

one thing People on Aniroleplay did is they would take an overpowered character's powerset from some anime as the base, they loved dealing in absolutes. they would then apply abilities that countered that overpowered character's weaknesses so they were prepared for every scenario, then they would pile on superhuman senses, a superhuman physiology and if they could justify it, regeneration. they then removed any compassion or similar "weaknesses" from the character's personality, effectively boiling down to a character with no personality remaining, they would change the name and maybe the species if it meant justifying more powers.

generally, no matter how canonically established that your character has some of the best stealth arts in their own universe and literally uses magic that is powered by an energy source that should be extremely foreign to most of the characters on the site, they still somehow detect you by means of being a godmodding sack of flaming horse bile having the ability to "see energy" when they don't realize that such an ability would logically render their character blind because energy is everywhere. even if they only saw "Mana" they would try to argue that every supernatural energy counts as mana, when Nymphs don't use "Mana" like Wizards do, they use a completely different energy siphoned from nature and closer to the stuff used by Witches and Shamans, and even different wizards in different universes use different types of energy. so apparently, the guy who learned how to see "Mana" somehow knows how to spot and counter the Nature Energy used by Nymphs.

when people tend to build sensible characters, they end up leaving because Ani's competitive and guild scenes are loaded with godmodders everywhere,

funny thing with people on Ani. here is a condensed one liner sample from an old roleplay i did with some dude, i cut out the fluff and description for brevity. this is to show how dense your Typical Aniroleplay Godmodder is.

Umbrie: -dons a black cloak over her black school girl uniform and black thighsocks in the middle of the night for a stealth bonus. applies makeup and contact lenses to appear to not be the little girl that Vox is looking for. literally no magic in this disguise.-

Vox Bukakke Nii -spots Umbrie trying to escape because Vox can see Mana for no real reason-

Umbrie- emitting no mana whatsoever, nymph, not wizard, the fey loli uses her completely nonmagical disguise of a black cloak and gothic makeup to slip away, from the blind fool who is too busy looking at some random wizard in a frilly dress and mistaking her for Umbrie.-

Vox Bukakke Nii ((magic is magic, i see through your disguise))

Umbrie: ((the disguise isn't even magical at all. just a black cloak and gothic makeup that i happen to be wearing at night))

Vox Bukakke Nii ((how is that not magical? you are a faerie))

Umbrie: ((it is night, the sky is dark, the cloak is black, the black cloak matches the night sky, and the gothic makeup covers the facial features))

Vox Bukakke Nii ((that is clearly magic))

Umbrie: ((magical creatures can do nonmagical things too. if a human rogue did the same thing? would you call it magic?))

Vox Bukakke Nii ((are you a Faerie or a Rogue?))

Umbrie: ((Faerie is my Race, Rogue is my Class))

Vox Bukkakke Nii ((how are you both a faerie and a rogue?))

Umbrie: ((Race and Class aren't mutually exclusive. you can be a race other than human and still have a class))

i don't like it when people pile on abilities with no Ryhme, Reason or Theme.

one thing People on Aniroleplay did is they would take an overpowered character's powerset from some anime as the base, they loved dealing in absolutes. they would then apply abilities that countered that overpowered character's weaknesses so they were prepared for every scenario, then they would pile on superhuman senses, a superhuman physiology and if they could justify it, regeneration. they then removed any compassion or similar "weaknesses" from the character's personality, effectively boiling down to a character with no personality remaining, they would change the name and maybe the species if it meant justifying more powers.

generally, no matter how canonically established that your character has some of the best stealth arts in their own universe and literally uses magic that is powered by an energy source that should be extremely foreign to most of the characters on the site, they still somehow detect you by means of being a godmodding sack of flaming horse bile having the ability to "see energy" when they don't realize that such an ability would logically render their character blind because energy is everywhere. even if they only saw "Mana" they would try to argue that every supernatural energy counts as mana, when Nymphs don't use "Mana" like Wizards do, they use a completely different energy siphoned from nature and closer to the stuff used by Witches and Shamans, and even different wizards in different universes use different types of energy. so apparently, the guy who learned how to see "Mana" somehow knows how to spot and counter the Nature Energy used by Nymphs.

when people tend to build sensible characters, they end up leaving because Ani's competitive and guild scenes are loaded with godmodders everywhere,

So you don't like that site?  lol still trying to follow the seque. 

Anyway yeah that's one of the most common downsides of any powers based roleplay. People not understanding that logistically speaking your character can't really have all these abilities and if they did they'd be pretty damn boring to roleplay.

Like I had someone argue with me once because I refuse to allow their OC who had "all of superman's powers and none of his weaknesses" join the roleplay. And when I flat out insisted they have at least three weaknesses this is what they came up with

( bare in mind their character had super strength, super speed, super senses, lazer vision, freeze breathe, and flight )

- Anyone with comparable abilities

- Anger Issues

- Antisocial

Like first of two of those aren't weaknesses they're personality traits. And they would make him more dangerous not less. 

And also if the only way for someone to stand up to your character is if they have the same level of OP powers than that's kind of ridiculous.

So you don't like that site?  lol still trying to follow the seque. 

Anyway yeah that's one of the most common downsides of any powers based roleplay. People not understanding that logistically speaking your character can't really have all these abilities and if they did they'd be pretty damn boring to roleplay.

Like I had someone argue with me once because I refuse to allow their OC who had "all of superman's powers and none of his weaknesses" join the roleplay. And when I flat out insisted they have at least three weaknesses this is what they came up with

( bare in mind their character had super strength, super speed, super senses, lazer vision, freeze breathe, and flight )

- Anyone with comparable abilities

- Anger Issues

- Antisocial

Like first of two of those aren't weaknesses they're personality traits. And they would make him more dangerous not less. 

And also if the only way for someone to stand up to your character is if they have the same level of OP powers than that's kind of ridiculous.

Umbrie's Powerset if you wanted to Review it to see whether or not you consider it balanced i separated things into four categories

Racial Powers for Being a Nymph

Flight (Fey usually have wings. Umbrie had incorporeal wings)

Cellular Reconstruction (the Fey Secret to immortality, bodily alteration, regeneration and eternal youth. possessed by fey who pass a certain level of physical development. whole reason she didn't stay dead. bodily alteration requires an appropriate amount of stored body fat if adding additional mass or appendages)

Hypersensitive Sense of Touch (Easy to overwhelm)

Direct Skin contact Allergy to Cold Iron

enhanced perception (a Nymph has enhanced senses, this is due to a slicker and more sensitive nervous system that produces more neurons than normal with a greater and more organized and optimized network of neural pathways, allowing information to be processed faster)

enhanced reflexes (due to her small frame and enhanced perception, Umbrie has superhuman reflexes. while she is also fairly fast on foot, she also reacts more swiftly. in fact, her reflexes outclass her speed.)

Ambidexterity: though Umbrie prefers to use her left hand, she is technically ambidextrous

Shroud Attunement Abilities (possessed by nymphs of the Nyxad Subspecies)"

Perfect Nightvision (Umbrie could see in any darkness. this is attributed to her massive pupils.)

Shadowstepping (a High Speed form of subtle movement that involves blinking back and forth between the shroud to change distances relative to one's self. allows faster pursuits and faster escapes)

Shroud Jaunting: (the Ability to Jaunt to the Shroud, an incorporeal manifestation of one's self can be found on the material plane. after jaunting to the shroud, another jaunt can take her to any other plane or location, moving the incorporeal manifestation to the shroud. a Visual of the desired location is required, and being able to name the country, name the city or name the coordinates helps. for example, San Francisco California United States January 2017. a Quick short term use of this ability can be used for emergency phasing. 6 second duration, 6 second cooldown.)

Photosensitivity: Nyxads are Extremely sensitive to bright light and can usually be instantly knocked out in a nonlethal manner by throwing a flashbang in their general direction, causing them to faint from dizziness. this light based dizziness also leads to queasiness of the stomach, headaches, nausea and eventual fainting. this can be especially bad for a nyxad who is outdoors in the sun during noon and takes no precautions to cover her eyes. some Apothecaries sell special contact lenses that reduce the amount of light that enters the eyes rather than magnifying it. Nyxads love these things. wearing them cancels out their photosensitivity but also cancels out their nightvision for the duration they are worn.

Psionic/mental Abilities

Illusion: (the ability to manipulate perception. limited to illusions that assist herself in stealth, such as fooling up to a maximum of any 3 senses in the animal kingdom with the exception of touch. can also be used for disguise or bluffing past guards and other stealth/infiltration related things)

Analytical Psychoempathy: Umbrie can discern the emotional state of targets she can observe and eventually discern triggers. in a short conversation consisting of a few hours, she can discern details such as the lifestyle a person lives or whether she can currently trust them around her sisters in the current moment. emotional states and personalities change over time, this isn't the same as mind reading. it is more a complex form of behavioral analysis and reading such queues as body language and the use of tones.

Charm Resistance: Umbrie has an enhanced resistance to external psionic forces trying to take control of her. this includes such things as Vampires trying to enthrall her, others trying to rewrite or erase her memories, or telepaths trying to read her mind. she can with a bit of passive concentration, negate the attempt and if she desires, reverse it back on the user. meaning she can reverse a telepath's mind reading against them or reverse a vampires domination attempt and enthrall the vampire.

Emotional Sensitivity: though Umbrie is resistant to external psionic influence, her emotions are much harder for her to control. as any other fey, she literally wears her heart on her sleeve. luckily she lacks to physical strength to inflict much damage

Physical Weaknesses

Excessive Fluid Production: Umbrie produces an excessive amount of various bodily fluids such as blood, tears and sweat. this can extremely inconveniencing on her stamina due to the excess blood pooling in convenient sections of her body or outpacing her iron levels. commonly exhibited systems include excessive vomiting of blood in extremely stressful situations, reduced physical stamina, and possible fainting if one overworks herself. most of these symptoms can be overcome, reduced, or mitigated by intentionally cutting herself and releasing some of the excess blood until her cellular reconstruction heals the wound.

Drug Vulnerability: due to her excessive blood production, drugs, both good and bad last twice as long when takes them, meaning she is drunk for double the normal duration, has double the normal length for sugar highs but also double the length for more crippling drugs. luckily she gets double the mileage out of ibuprofen 

Light Weight: due to being extremely small framed and light weight, Umbrie doesn't have much physical strength, she is built like a sickly but athletic child. while she can dance or perform gymnastic feats just fine, her strength limits her ability to carry heavy objects.  she doesn't have the mass to wield a katana in a single hand. she can wield a gladius or scimitar just fine though.

People who put in so many rules and most of them could be combined with other rules or removed because they're super obvious. And I'm not talking about like 10 rules, I'm talking about like 32 rules.

People who put in so many rules and most of them could be combined with other rules or removed because they're super obvious. And I'm not talking about like 10 rules, I'm talking about like 32 rules.

i agree with you here, i remember there being a guild on Gaia (another godmod fest) whose bases had so many excessive and redundant defenses against magic that they might as well put a "No Magic" Rule and saved themselves the effort of writing up all those defenses and made the intro post a lot less of a headache to read,

Umbrie's Powerset if you wanted to Review it to see whether or not you consider it balanced i separated things into four categories

Cellular Reconstruction (the Fey Secret to immortality, bodily alteration, regeneration and eternal youth. possessed by fey who pass a certain level of physical development. whole reason she didn't stay dead. bodily alteration requires an appropriate amount of stored body fat if adding additional mass or appendages)

enhanced perception (a Nymph has enhanced senses, this is due to a slicker and more sensitive nervous system that produces more neurons than normal with a greater and more organized and optimized network of neural pathways, allowing information to be processed faster)

enhanced reflexes (due to her small frame and enhanced perception, Umbrie has superhuman reflexes. while she is also fairly fast on foot, she also reacts more swiftly. in fact, her reflexes outclass her speed.)

Ambidexterity: though Umbrie prefers to use her left hand, she is technically ambidextrous

Perfect Nightvision (Umbrie could see in any darkness. this is attributed to her massive pupils.)

Shadowstepping (a High Speed form of subtle movement that involves blinking back and forth between the shroud to change distances relative to one's self. allows faster pursuits and faster escapes)

Shroud Jaunting: (the Ability to Jaunt to the Shroud, an incorporeal manifestation of one's self can be found on the material plane. after jaunting to the shroud, another jaunt can take her to any other plane or location, moving the incorporeal manifestation to the shroud. a Visual of the desired location is required, and being able to name the country, name the city or name the coordinates helps. for example, San Francisco California United States January 2017. a Quick short term use of this ability can be used for emergency phasing. 6 second duration, 6 second cooldown.)

Photosensitivity: Nyxads are Extremely sensitive to bright light and can usually be instantly knocked out in a nonlethal manner by throwing a flashbang in their general direction, causing them to faint from dizziness. this light based dizziness also leads to queasiness of the stomach, headaches, nausea and eventual fainting. this can be especially bad for a nyxad who is outdoors in the sun during noon and takes no precautions to cover her eyes. some Apothecaries sell special contact lenses that reduce the amount of light that enters the eyes rather than magnifying it. Nyxads love these things. wearing them cancels out their photosensitivity but also cancels out their nightvision for the duration they are worn.

Psionic/mental Abilities

Illusion: (the ability to manipulate perception. limited to illusions that assist herself in stealth, such as fooling up to a maximum of any 3 senses in the animal kingdom with the exception of touch. can also be used for disguise or bluffing past guards and other stealth/infiltration related things)

Analytical Psychoempathy: Umbrie can discern the emotional state of targets she can observe and eventually discern triggers. in a short conversation consisting of a few hours, she can discern details such as the lifestyle a person lives or whether she can currently trust them around her sisters in the current moment. emotional states and personalities change over time, this isn't the same as mind reading. it is more a complex form of behavioral analysis and reading such queues as body language and the use of tones.

Charm Resistance: Umbrie has an enhanced resistance to external psionic forces trying to take control of her. this includes such things as Vampires trying to enthrall her, others trying to rewrite or erase her memories, or telepaths trying to read her mind. she can with a bit of passive concentration, negate the attempt and if she desires, reverse it back on the user. meaning she can reverse a telepath's mind reading against them or reverse a vampires domination attempt and enthrall the vampire.

Emotional Sensitivity: though Umbrie is resistant to external psionic influence, her emotions are much harder for her to control. as any other fey, she literally wears her heart on her sleeve. luckily she lacks to physical strength to inflict much damage

Physical Weaknesses

Excessive Fluid Production: Umbrie produces an excessive amount of various bodily fluids such as blood, tears and sweat. this can extremely inconveniencing on her stamina due to the excess blood pooling in convenient sections of her body or outpacing her iron levels. commonly exhibited systems include excessive vomiting of blood in extremely stressful situations, reduced physical stamina, and possible fainting if one overworks herself. most of these symptoms can be overcome, reduced, or mitigated by intentionally cutting herself and releasing some of the excess blood until her cellular reconstruction heals the wound.

Drug Vulnerability: due to her excessive blood production, drugs, both good and bad last twice as long when takes them, meaning she is drunk for double the normal duration, has double the normal length for sugar highs but also double the length for more crippling drugs. luckily she gets double the mileage out of ibuprofen 

Light Weight: due to being extremely small framed and light weight, Umbrie doesn't have much physical strength, she is built like a sickly but athletic child. while she can dance or perform gymnastic feats just fine, her strength limits her ability to carry heavy objects.  she doesn't have the mass to wield a katana in a single hand. she can wield a gladius or scimitar just fine though.

https://www.rpnation.com/forum/84-character-feedback/

Anything master/slave. I don't even want to bother with it.

That always bothered me. I always turn away from an interest check where they have master/slave listed as a relationship. That's a fucked up relationship and you know it, please don't put it in a good light.

That always bothered me. I always turn away from an interest check where they have master/slave listed as a relationship. That's a fucked up relationship and you know it, please don't put it in a good light.

It is. I'll never understand it at all.

Anything master/slave. I don't even want to bother with it.

It is. I'll never understand it at all.

i don't understand why anybody would want to be a slave outside of roleplay. being a slave is not pleasant, and BDSM is a rather extreme kink. you don't just try BDSM for a day and quit because you don't like it. being a Submissive requires you to live your life under the role; plus, there are contracts for such things. a real slave had no contracts.

i don't understand why anybody would want to be a slave outside of roleplay. being a slave is not pleasant, and BDSM is a rather extreme kink. you don't just try BDSM for a day and quit because you don't like it. being a Submissive requires you to live your life under the role; plus, there are contracts for such things. a real slave had no contracts.

Tonnes of people experiment with light bdsm and never take it any further or explore it at their own pace, its not a cult or something.

Psionic/mental Abilities

Physical Weaknesses

Honey I wasn't talking about your character. I was just talking about general roleplay pet peeves. And then I was merely asking for clarification on what I assume was your own pet peeves. As @AtlannianSpy suggested I would just put Umbrie in the Character Feedback forum. As the entire point of this forum is to get feedback on your character. Then every time you feel the need to justify your character against someone's pet peeve I would just put a link to the thread for her Character Feedback  in a spoiler.

This way you appease the impulse to talk about her or promote her. But you aren't disrupting the flow of the discussion. And people have the option of looking at her if they are interested, and if they aren't they can just ignore the spoiler.

thankies.

i posted a copy in character feedback. a bit updated. still incomplete, but hopefully enough to get her across

Users who are viewing this thread

Back