Roleplay Pet Peeves

It's probably been mentioned, I don't remember if I did but I'm not a fan of being rushed to post. I always make sure to state I'm a couple of posts a week roleplayer. If I had to post everyday I'd feel burnt out especially if I write paragraph posts. 

I also don't like if someone says they understand that yet they constantly send messages about when will I post or get bent out of shape. If I'm gone for a long time, months, that would be message time.

I did a "magic fantasy high school" type of crap RP because I was tired of no one being interested in my RPs, and for the edgy peeps I threw in some species "shadow people" and guess what I get for all the character sheets? This:

Powers: Mind control

Personality: (name) is totally quiet and like totally evil and stuff and secretly plots everyone's death and he's like way more powerful than everyone but no one knows cuz he hides it lel

Even though I specifically said that evil "shadow people" don't go to the school....

Eventually, there were so many characters with "mind control" as a power that I said no one could have the mind control power.

when designing a universe, you have the right to establish which species exist in a specific region within  a specific universe and which ones can be player characters for a region. if you want a psionic race of peaceful good aligned shadow nymphs that create illusions but are physically small and light for example, you can establish that as part of your universe and say that any of those PC shadow nymphs are probably good aligned, usually non-confrontational, and generally get sick in bright light in addition to being allergic to salt and cold iron. then if somebody wants to play a shadow person in your setting, you point them to this particular race of shadow nymphs and explain that shadow creatures are very different in your universe than they are in most. i found it removes most of the mind controlling shadow creatures.

another thing i found, is if you want to tell a story about heroes or heroines. you literally put up a clause that the character has to be able to function in society and must have a drive to do the right thing, even if that motivation isn't pure. if you want a school of good aligned magical characters, you don't allow the evil character. not that demons, vampires and shadow people have to be bad. but explain that if they are a member of a normally evil species, that they have to be held to an even higher standard of good to be accepted. so while a neutral or evil aligned human doing the right thing for the wrong reasons might be accepted case by case from a proven mature member, you wouldn't allow a Demon who wasn't Lawful Good and had reason to do lawful good things. knowing a character's backstory and personality, is more important than knowing their species, and even more important than that, is knowing what the player intends to do with the character, which is where the roleplayer screening test comes in, you can tell the maturity level of a roleplayer by the reasons they chose a particular species rather than the species they chose. if a player chose to make a character of a specific race to fulfill or optimize a particular gimmick, it is generally born of a desire to win or a desire to wreck things. for example, somebody plays that ogre with the maximum possible strength and vigor but lowest smarts and charisma who spent all their skill points on combat skills. they are literally telling you they want to beat stuff up. beating stuff up isn't always the story you desire to tell.

to preserve the story you want to tell. you generally want characters that fit. in a heroic high fantasy party. the evil cambion that wants to backstab her buddies would be extremely disruptive to allow. but a heroic cambion who seeks redemption by following the dwarven god of honor and seeking to live life as a holy knight, might be a good fit. normally, a cambion is the child of a human and a demon, usually a union between a succubus mother and a human father or  between an incubus father and a human mother, but a cambion, despite being half demonic, is still half human and can still seek to redeem herself, but she would have to work harder to achieve it, because she has to work harder against the abyssal influences.

how about? instead of a demonic or vampiric antihero? we get a real demonic or vampiric hero? i don't mean a vampire that sparkles in the sun, and i don't mean one that doesn't feed, i mean one who has to make moral choices on what is okay blood to feed on, one who honestly desires to do the right thing despite having all these weaknesses.

if you want to tell a story where all the player characters are good aligned, you should enforce a morality clause, and work to show good examples of members of otherwise evil species who follow the righteous path. if you don't want evil shadow people as a species, make the important shadow people good, maybe give them a racial power that isn't mind control, maybe disallow mind control and other morally questionable powers.

When people rush the story too much and don't leave time for any character development. I totally understand that a story has to keep moving, but at the same time there needs to be a balance of slow and fast moments. So if I'm trying to have a slow, angst scene with my character, or I'm just starting to introduce them, I don't like it when some kind of crazy shit happens. 

Like maybe it's just me but I like to flesh my characters out and see how they interact, think and behave in normal situations before I throw them into abnormal situations. 

That's just me though

When people rush the story too much and don't leave time for any character development. I totally understand that a story has to keep moving, but at the same time there needs to be a balance of slow and fast moments. So if I'm trying to have a slow, angst scene with my character, or I'm just starting to introduce them, I don't like it when some kind of crazy shit happens. 

Like maybe it's just me but I like to flesh my characters out and see how they interact, think and behave in normal situations before I throw them into abnormal situations. 

That's just me though

I had the exact opposite. It's the thing when everyone just sits and talk and nothing is done. A single dinner and they told each other their life stories, family background and their likes and dislikes, and became best buddies and all of that. I wished we have someone to progress the story back then.

I had the exact opposite. It's the thing when everyone just sits and talk and nothing is done. A single dinner and they told each other their life stories, family background and their likes and dislikes, and became best buddies and all of that. I wished we have someone to progress the story back then.

Yeah this would bother me too. However when you find that balance of fast story progression and slow character building, you get RP Valhalla

I hate when my partner tries to "punish" me for not doing what they want by making bad things happen in the RP. Like, killing one of their characters if I don't agree to a certain plot point or something. Anyone ever had this happen? It's super manipulative and passive aggressive and I hate it, but it feels like I can't really call them out on it so I always end up just abandoning the RP.

Lush's Pet Peeves

1.) Writer's who feel the need to define their character is "pretty" even when my character or me personally do not agree.

1a.) Writer's who do this but also use real life photos of models, actors, or television personalities. It is not enough that you have to say it, now you want to enforce it with individuals who are considered by social specifics to be "Attractive"?

2.) When I have written a post with an abundance of content, fluff or not, and you reply back with one sentence. Fastest way for me to stop RPing with you unless there is a legitimate reason.

3.) People who start their post farthest away from your current location. Seriously, you could have started in the same room as me or across a hall.

4.) Individuals who take Asian names but never study enough cultural information so they all come off like anime characters in non-anime oriented plots/situations/realities. (I am half Japanese so this does bug me a great deal.)

5.) Arm chair "book writers" or "historians" who go to that "next level" in role-play when no one asked for their opinion, much less needed it. Time and place my friend.

6.) When people specify their ability as generic as possible and think it covers a broad enough basis: e.x: "Magic" but not specifying what kind or what branch.

7.) Writer's who want to play villains or antagonistic characters, but seem to think the only type is the "Mean, I don't like you" types.

8.) Real life photos. I would be freaked out if I happened to cross a role-play thread for once in my life and find someone using my face and claiming to be someone else.

8a.) Triple annoying when people stalk the twitter, imgur, facebook, or other social media account of said reference for more pictures or reaction gifs.

9.) Loops back to "1 and 1a", but, individuals who must or have to pick or be attractive. Role-play allows us to be anything we want, you decide to be vain and choked full of really terrible "flaws" or "perfections" to fluff a pretty terribly made character.

10.) Persistently pestering me to post. If I am enjoying the role-play or free, I will post. If I am not enjoying it or you are making me aggravated I will post less.

11.) Requesting I change my character because you either do not: A) Understand it | B) Want to fufill some fantasy through it that gratifies you. | C) Want a different face to project your talents on.

I hate when my partner tries to "punish" me for not doing what they want by making bad things happen in the RP. Like, killing one of their characters if I don't agree to a certain plot point or something. Anyone ever had this happen? It's super manipulative and passive aggressive and I hate it, but it feels like I can't really call them out on it so I always end up just abandoning the RP.

I had a former role-play partner who at one point in time, kept me in the crucifix as far as plot growth was concerned.

She disliked me role-playing with other people, so if she got jealous her alternative was to make her character sleep with someone else,

or go on adventures with other characters, get injured or almost die, then come back to my character and imply oocly or icly or even both, as to why someone else took good care of her, and she liked it.

The final straw for me was when our characters were more or less in a town discussing an agreement to earn a boat ride to another island, and the female captain of the vessel flirted with my swordsmen.

Instead of her remaining okay and continuing the plot, she pouted and fussed the entire time, then when we got on the ship she whined to other players about wanting to be loved and touched like a woman should.

Some time later she tells my character that she wants to sleep in the bunk with a different man and they have sex; she spent the next two weeks telling me how it was better, which I deduced was because he "romanced" her while my character did not have a romantic connection with her, but just enjoyed sex for the sake of sex. She then killed that character off due to me not being jealous.

So yes, I have been there. It is trashy and very disappointing in role-play that is otherwise okay or really good.

This:

Rp plz?

This too:

Did you like my post? I'm only asking because you haven't posted in three minutes. Do I need to change something? 

(Seconds later)

Are you going to post? I'm just really excited about this thread!

(1 minute later)

Are you there? I see you online, are you okay? Omg, I'm freaking out!

Can't forget about this:

It's okay if you abuse my character. She's been through a lot. I don't mind anything you want to do. Can you tie her up please? (........)

This:

I swear I'm going to post. I know it's been three months! Here! Got a post coming.

*post comes two months later*

I posted! Are you going to post soon?

So uh. I got to the twentieth page before I just said 'screw it' and skipped to the current one. I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out, but one thing that infuriates me is when you're in an RP and others just downright ignore you and/or your character. I can't even begin to count how many times this has happened to me–I'd make a post where my character directly interacts with another character and even tag the player, but they seem to be so engrossed in something else that's happening that they don't pay my post any mind and instead, post something where their character will talk to literally everyone else in the RP. And I'm kinda just sitting there like, "Did I do something to upset you? Why are you ignoring me like that?" Has anyone else had that happen to them or is it just me?

Everything else that I wanted to say was about your typical immature RP partners (I used to be a bit annoying when I first started RPing, but I look back now and I cringe), Godmodding, bad GMs (I may not be the best, but I at least try), and bad RPs (I can stand overused plots and settings if it's done right). Oh yeah, don't even get me started on the posts written like this. My eyes are bad enough and I don't need them to get even worse. If anything's written in that color and font I'll probably end up skimming over it.

poof

I am unsure if this has been written already, but a pet peeve in roleplaying of mine is when the roleplayers do not send context as to why their characters are acting so, or show up randomly on sites not meant for roleplay. Also, whenever people will private message you as if they are chatting with you normally in fast speed chatboxes. It's a little bit annoying when you don't use the chats for what they have been made for and put for your convenience.

I hate it when people use dark shades of colors for their text or really curly fonts. I'm using the dark theme, and dark gray or any dark color appears invisible to me. And the real curly fonts are just hard to read in general. I've run into people who use both curly fonts and dark colors, and it's really annoying.

I hate it when people use dark shades of colors for their text or really curly fonts. I'm using the dark theme, and dark gray or any dark color appears invisible to me. And the real curly fonts are just hard to read in general. I've run into people who use both curly fonts and dark colors, and it's really annoying.

Do you feel it now, Mr. Krabs?

Do You feel it now Mr. Krabs?

Do you feel if now Mr. Krabs?

Last edited by a moderator:
4403211__018cfe21ae21b98e80c91db2fe4e9b31.jpg

I'm more amused by this though it has made my peeved list: The rage quitters who quit because they cannot be in full control of every aspect in the roleplay. This includes their character being so great my character is destined to fall in love with theirs.

I'm more amused by this though it has made my peeved list: The rage quitters who quit because they cannot be in full control of every aspect in the roleplay. This includes their character being so great my character is destined to fall in love with theirs.

my characters might feel love. but they are usually not in love and usually not seeking romance. most of the time, some of them might seek a parental figure or a surrogate older sibling to remind them of home while they are on the road. but such companionship is purely platonic and has no perverse connotations because they only care about the fact they are filling their homesickness when they have particular family members they miss. i mean, they might be stimulated by the affection, but not in  a perverse manner,

my characters might feel love. but they are usually not in love and usually not seeking romance. most of the time, some of them might seek a parental figure or a surrogate older sibling to remind them of home while they are on the road. but such companionship is purely platonic and has no perverse connotations because they only care about the fact they are filling their homesickness when they have particular family members they miss. i mean, they might be stimulated by the affection, but not in  a perverse manner,

Ahhh, hi so like huh? 

Ahhh, hi so like huh? 

my characters are usually separated from their family for the duration of a long adventure. usually a girl from her mother and sisters. said female character typically seeks to fill the void of being separated from her family by the adventure through the means of seeking a purely platonic companion to fill that particular void in a pinch. but then, most of my characters come from large families, plus mommy issues and sibling issues tend to be a common flaw i give my characters.

my characters are usually separated from their family for the duration of a long adventure. usually a girl from her mother and sisters. said female character typically seeks to fill the void of being separated from her family by the adventure through the means of seeking a purely platonic companion to fill that particular void in a pinch. but then, most of my characters come from large families, plus mommy issues and sibling issues tend to be a common flaw i give my characters.

What are you talking about? This doesn't have anything to do with my peeve.

What are you talking about? This doesn't have anything to do with my peeve.

you were talking about characters who ragequit when they can't force your character to fall in love theirs. and i was explaining, that i don't force other characters to fall in love with mine and that they wouldn't even be the type to seek romance by forcing it because they usually aren't actually seeking romance in the first place. i don't even force people to fill the family void. i let them choose to fill it of thier own free will.

I was talking about roleplayers that rage quit because they want to control everything down to having my character fall in love with theirs. No offense, it doesn't have anything to do with your characters. 

It sounds like you were advertising your characters or something, I mean that's cool but I was explaining my peeve. If you want pitch characters to me send a pm.

I was talking about roleplayers that rage quit because they want to control everything down to having my character fall in love with theirs. No offense, it doesn't have anything to do with your characters. 

It sounds like you were advertising your characters or something, I mean that's cool but I was explaining my peeve. If you want pitch characters to me send a pm.

sorriesies. that peeve bothers me too. i misunderstood it and thought it specifically applied to forced romances. but yes, it bothers me when roleplayers rage quit because they want to control everything, or also bothers me when a certain roleplayer tries to dictate physical changes to the form of my previously established characters to better suit their own perverse taste.

sorriesies. that peeve bothers me too. i misunderstood it and thought it specifically applied to forced romances. but yes, it bothers me when roleplayers rage quit because they want to control everything, or also bothers me when a certain roleplayer tries to dictate physical changes to the form of my previously established characters to better suit their own perverse taste.

Don't worry about it, you're good.

Don't worry about it, you're good.

even though i have a mountain of nitpicks that annoy me. i can actually set them aside for the sake of the roleplay if the annoying traits are used in moderation and kept reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back