Roleplay Pet Peeves

For a pet peeve of mine: It's gotta be people who don't communicate. When people are hostile to me or throw shade at me or my creations, I take a heavy problem considering they haven't tried to civilly talk to me. When I communicate with someone, I express my problems and hope they do the same so we can discuss. However, there is expressing problems and flat out just raging at someone.

I agree with this. No need to bite my (or my characters') head off if 1.) Something happens that you don't like or 2.) Something happened that day to piss you off. Whatever it is, DO NOT ATTACK ME OR MY CHARACTERS. Or if you want to end up partner less, then by all means do so. I'll happily remove myself.  xD  Just talk to me about it, I'm not a mind reader! Sheesh. 

I agree with this. No need to bite my (or my characters') head off if 1.) Something happens that you don't like or 2.) Something happened that day to piss you off. Whatever it is, DO NOT ATTACK ME OR MY CHARACTERS. Or if you want to end up partner less, then by all means do so. I'll happily remove myself.  xD  Just talk to me about it, I'm not a mind reader! Sheesh. 

UGHHHH. And then they get aggressive at you for leaving. 

UGHHHH. And then they get aggressive at you for leaving. 

That's happened to me before >.>

I said I had lost interest in the RP and was rather polite about, even apologising for wasting their time, and they bloody raged and deleted all of my content off the RP xD

posts, CS etc.

You know what's my pet peeve? Having to put pictures as an appearance. Because it's lazy. Because we are here to write. Because writing it needs some creativity and it gets along what is important.

You know what's my pet peeve? Having to put pictures as an appearance. Because it's lazy. Because we are here to write. Because writing it needs some creativity and it gets along what is important.

Most RPs let you do your appearance whatever way you want ^_^  

Speaking from the Perspective of a Primarily Dice Based Roleplayer. you Generally want characters of a Similar Power Level. Luckily Gods have all sorts of power levels. you don't Team Zeus and Poseidon with the Farmer, instead, you Team the Farmer up with Child Form Hestia (A Creepy Little Girl with an Experienced Adult's Intelligence and Wisdom), an Underage Nymph (because a Fully Grown Nymph could be pretty powerful) and Perseus (the most human of Zeus's commonly known sons.)

THe use of Dice with PbP is not common at all. This is the first community I've seen that has a section for it. Most dice-based gaming is done around a table in a more D&D format. It becomes a bit less about telling a story, and more about the characters, the actions they choose to take, and the results of said dice rolls, as they affect everything (and a god can still roll a 1, can it not? :P )

My point was strictly in terms of story telling, no dice involved.

For me it's more consistency or just over-all effectiveness of the visual. 

For instance if I use a picture of a model don't come back with a hand drawn stick figure on notebook paper. 

Not only do the differing styles kill my immersion into the story. A stick figure doesn't accomplish the primary purpose of an image in the first place. Which is to show me what the character looks like.

As to having pictures vs. written descriptions personally I don't care. I ask my partners what they want and either adapt accordingly or if I can't find a good picture I just write a description.

But some people are visual learners. I'm one of them myself, so visuals ( as in pictures ) actually help me cement a character in my mind. Because I do a lot of roleplays and my memory isn't the best. So relying fully on descriptions isn't helpful because I'm likely not going to remember it unless you continue to repeat it over and over in the roleplay. 

Not that it's necessary - most roleplays I don't really care what my partners character looks like as it's not relevant to the narrative anyway. But that's the reason that I personally enjoy pictures. Just a stronger visual. 

I usually ask for a written description to show that you can actually describe that character's appearance to some extent, but the option to include a picture (for quick, easy reference for your peers). Describing people's physical appearance is something I've always struggled with, personally. I usually include sections of my sheets for stuff like height, weight, eye & hair color, build, etc, again for quick, easy reference for your peers, who would otherwise have to read your lengthy description just to find eye color trying to post in after a long day at work, for example .

Last edited by a moderator:
For a pet peeve of mine: It's gotta be people who don't communicate. When people are hostile to me or throw shade at me or my creations, I take a heavy problem considering they haven't tried to civilly talk to me. When I communicate with someone, I express my problems and hope they do the same so we can discuss. However, there is expressing problems and flat out just raging at someone.

Wait, question. 

When people are hostile to me or throw shade at me or my creations...

Are you talking about like OC chat or their character throws shade to your character. I think the character throwing shade to another character in an rp is reasonable if that's what's supposed to be played out or if your characters just don't get along. But if you're talking about OC then they're just overdoing it.

I usually ask for a written description to show that you can actually describe that character's appearance to some extent, but the option to include a picture (for quick, easy reference for your peers). Describing people's physical appearance is something I've always struggled with, personally. I usually include sections of my sheets for stuff like height, weight, eye & hair color, build, etc, again for quick, easy reference for your peers, who would otherwise have to read your lengthy description just to find eye color trying to post in after a long day at work, for example .

I like when people do this in their CS. I used to hate it because of the "Picture and Description" but as of now I think it's fun. 

Know what gets my goat? El chupacabra

The conversational tragic reveal. You know, character A an character B just met and all of a sudden character B is sobbing as they lament about their dead family and desire for revenge.

Along the same lines: when a character knows everything about my character instantly. No Sally, you don't know this very charming young man is actually a murderer, there is nothing 'creepy' about him unless someone dorkily spilling a drink on themselves is one of your biggest fears.

This is part of the reason why I think a CS with sparse to no details in the bio is the way to go (after confirming that the given rp'er is competent).

@IrradiatedWarden

Wait, question. 

Are you talking about like OC chat or their character throws shade to your character. I think the character throwing shade to another character in an rp is reasonable if that's what's supposed to be played out or if your characters just don't get along. But if you're talking about OC then they're just overdoing it.

Out of character

Y'know, when you make an ordinary character, and everyone makes an ordinary character, but then there has to be this one person who somewhat has to make the Tony Stark equivalent of that world, who has absolutely no education in mechanical engineering, and who's also just about 23. Tony Stark-esque in the sense that he has complete suit of armour, functional and all.

Compare that to my character, who's in his forties, has extensive education regarding mechanical engineering, and has also tinkered with machinery, but the only thing he even bothers to fix are old relics from the 70's.

THe use of Dice with PbP is not common at all. This is the first community I've seen that has a section for it. Most dice-based gaming is done around a table in a more D&D format. It becomes a bit less about telling a story, and more about the characters, the actions they choose to take, and the results of said dice rolls, as they affect everything (and a god can still roll a 1, can it not? :P )

My point was strictly in terms of story telling, no dice involved.

Dice RPs usually use character sheets and modifiers. modifiers are things that add a bonus or penalty to a given type of die roll. for Example, Zeus's lightning bolts have a massive bonus to damage rolls. massive enough to one shot most opponents; even when he rolls the worst possible roll. and tailoring fights towards Zeus, means the farmer is going to be a useless burden in the story, and tailoring challenges towards the farmer, means its going to be too easy for Zeus. which is why you need to keep player power levels relatively fair.

Y'know, when you make an ordinary character, and everyone makes an ordinary character, but then there has to be this one person who somewhat has to make the Tony Stark equivalent of that world, who has absolutely no education in mechanical engineering, and who's also just about 23. Tony Stark-esque in the sense that he has complete suit of armour, functional and all.

Compare that to my character, who's in his forties, has extensive education regarding mechanical engineering, and has also tinkered with machinery, but the only thing he even bothers to fix are old relics from the 70's.

i wouldn't allow Iron Man along a Group of Ordinary People. i would even be Wary about including a Soldier Among Ordinary People. because if Ordinary people can't keep up with he Soldier, they have absolutely no way to keep up with Iron Man, and Tony Stark is a Superhuman, even if they don't hint towards it. his Superpower is his ability to Sponge, Retain and Process complex information with many times more speed and precision than most humans, meaning his brain is his superpower.

i wouldn't allow Iron Man along a Group of Ordinary People. i would even be Wary about including a Soldier Among Ordinary People. because if Ordinary people can't keep up with he Soldier, they have absolutely no way to keep up with Iron Man, and Tony Stark is a Superhuman, even if they don't hint towards it. his Superpower is his ability to Sponge, Retain and Process complex information with many times more speed and precision than most humans, meaning his brain is his superpower.

Not in that sense, mate. The guy's got an exo-suit, in a cast where there's no exo-suits.

Dice RPs usually use character sheets and modifiers. modifiers are things that add a bonus or penalty to a given type of die roll. for Example, Zeus's lightning bolts have a massive bonus to damage rolls. massive enough to one shot most opponents; even when he rolls the worst possible roll. and tailoring fights towards Zeus, means the farmer is going to be a useless burden in the story, and tailoring challenges towards the farmer, means its going to be too easy for Zeus. which is why you need to keep player power levels relatively fair.

[SIZE= 12px]The question is, why are they gonna fight in the first place?[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]Zeus would most probably send his goons to take care of a crippled farmer who's being more of a nuisance than anything. The crippled farmer slowly starts leveling up by obliterating those low level minions, whilst Zeus sends progressively more harder enemies without realizing the benefits that are going towards the farmer. Alas, the crippled farmer becomes more of a god, and then, proceeds to challenge Zeus. Hell, this is exactly how videogames work, don't they?[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]Regardless of that, this certain theme (Crippled farmer in the midst of Gods) befits a more character/story development-oriented RP rather than a dice one.[/SIZE]

The example I gave was inspired by the true story of an RP I participated in where there were no dice involved, meaning no one gets any modifiers, you just trust in creative responsibility on the part of all individuals present.

It was a high fantasy project in a unique setting. The plot was  about a pantheon of Gods divided by decision to destroy mankind by the greater Goddess (Played by the GM) and her husband (another Greater God). The God wanted to purge mortals for their war mongery, sin, and betrayal (they stopped worshiping, and temples had been destroyed and defiled as a result of occupations and riots).

Some of the gods (particularly those who's temples had been destroyed, and who's followings had all but faded away. Some of those Gods still didn't support the decision, however).

Those still loyal to and having faith in mortals set out to help them. Most of us were playing gods, the mortals were supposed to be NPCs. It was the role of the mortal supporters to not only sway the Gods, but find a way to do that, because simple debate just wouldn't do it anymore, the talking had been done.

So there was going to be a lot of philosophical stuff, as well as mingling and adventures among mortals. One particular god played by a friend was on a mission to find a mortal worthy enough to represent all mankind and plead the case before Acuvasha (the GM).

When it all started, everyone took their Gods by choosing roles from the provided pantheon. Then one of my good friends, a tremendous individual and writer came along. He said, "You know what, I think I want to play a mere mortal," and the GM reluctantly accepted. He created a modest, humble, crippled farmer who was pure of heart and strong of mind. No one really saw it at first, but it was obvious the God looking for a mortal rep should investigate this guy. So the RP went on.

By the end, the Gm decided this humble farmer would be the man who swayed her, and thus, she would sway her husband on he matter. No warrior, mage, nor assassin could have saved mortals. It took a special man with a special reasoning to make not only Acuvasha see the hypocrisy of the act itself, but most of the pantheon.

The point is, people too often build a loose personality and concept around a set of skills and abilities, because that's all the average role player focuses on.

Also, that was one of the most emotionally powerful characters I have ever had the privileged of writing alongside, mostly due to how he handled  and presented it. Probably my favorite player character of all time.

The question is, why are they gonna fight in the first place?

Zeus would most probably send his goons to take care of a crippled farmer who's being more of a nuisance than anything. The crippled farmer slowly starts leveling up by obliterating those low level minions, whilst Zeus sends progressively more harder enemies without realizing the benefits that are going towards the farmer. Alas, the crippled farmer becomes more of a god, and then, proceeds to challenge Zeus. Hell, this is exactly how videogames work, don't they?

Regardless of that, this certain theme (Crippled farmer in the midst of Gods) befits a more character/story development-oriented RP rather than a dice one.

Dice RPs are normally CO-OP rather than PVP. Typically against obstacles set up by the GM. an Obstacle that was designed for the farmer would be a boring chore for Zeus, and an Obstacle designed for Zeus would be impossible for the Farmer to contribute anything towards the accomplishment of overcoming.

The example I gave was inspired by the true story of an RP I participated in where there were no dice involved, meaning no one gets any modifiers, you just trust in creative responsibility on the part of all individuals present.

It was a high fantasy project in a unique setting. The plot was  about a pantheon of Gods divided by decision to destroy mankind by the greater Goddess (Played by the GM) and her husband (another Greater God). The God wanted to purge mortals for their war mongery, sin, and betrayal (they stopped worshiping, and temples had been destroyed and defiled as a result of occupations and riots).

Some of the gods (particularly those who's temples had been destroyed, and who's followings had all but faded away. Some of those Gods still didn't support the decision, however).

Those still loyal to and having faith in mortals set out to help them. Most of us were playing gods, the mortals were supposed to be NPCs. It was the role of the mortal supporters to not only sway the Gods, but find a way to do that, because simple debate just wouldn't do it anymore, the talking had been done.

So there was going to be a lot of philosophical stuff, as well as mingling and adventures among mortals. One particular god played by a friend was on a mission to find a mortal worthy enough to represent all mankind and plead the case before Acuvasha (the GM).

When it all started, everyone took their Gods by choosing roles from the provided pantheon. Then one of my good friends, a tremendous individual and writer came along. He said, "You know what, I think I want to play a mere mortal," and the GM reluctantly accepted. He created a modest, humble, crippled farmer who was pure of heart and strong of mind. No one really saw it at first, but it was obvious the God looking for a mortal rep should investigate this guy. So the RP went on.

By the end, the Gm decided this humble farmer would be the man who swayed her, and thus, she would sway her husband on he matter. No warrior, mage, nor assassin could have saved mortals. It took a special man with a special reasoning to make not only Acuvasha see the hypocrisy of the act itself, but most of the pantheon.

The point is, people too often build a loose personality and concept around a set of skills and abilities, because that's all the average role player focuses on.

Also, that was one of the most emotionally powerful characters I have ever had the privileged of writing alongside, mostly due to how he handled  and presented it. Probably my favorite player character of all time.

most roleplayers design their character around the synergies of specific skills and abilities. because anybody could be pure of heart. the average roleplay group doesn't have the talent to pull off a proactive crippled farmer, because the average roleplayer doesn't have the patience to truly achieve a particular goal. often falling to such things as their own need to be in as many scenes as possible while knowing, that a dead character isn't able to be part of any scene.

Dice RPs are normally CO-OP rather than PVP. Typically against obstacles set up by the GM. an Obstacle that was designed for the farmer would be a boring chore for Zeus, and an Obstacle designed for Zeus would be impossible for the Farmer to contribute anything towards the accomplishment of overcoming.

most roleplayers design their character around the synergies of specific skills and abilities. because anybody could be pure of heart. the average roleplay group doesn't have the talent to pull off a proactive crippled farmer, because the average roleplayer doesn't have the patience to truly achieve a particular goal. often falling to such things as their own need to be in as many scenes as possible while knowing, that a dead character isn't able to be part of any scene.

Nobody could be pure of heart?

Overall you've supported my point though.

You'll find a lot of nonsensical crap in most people's characters, being pure of heart isn't one of them, lol. Good people exist. No one is saying they aren't rare, or didn't make mistakes in the past, but people can have sound morals and abide by them. This you will learn with life experience, and truly getting to know older individuals.

My biggest pet peeve has to be when people break lore in a fandom universe or directly go against something I've established in my original universe (note: I'm fine with it if they don't act crappy about me correcting them, which I try to do politely)

My other big ones are:
People who are hypocritical about bending canon events/lore and making OCs fit in with the canon characters (e.g. be related, friends of, dating, etc)

People who refuse to communicate

PEOPLE WHO DISAPPEAR ON ME (seriously, if you need a break, whether it be days, weeks, or months long- tell me damnit). I will without a doubt drop someone after a month of absence without warning.

People who won't drive the plot at all on their own
and last but definitely not least, people who act shitty about my characters/ideas but refuse to directly say something about the issue they have

Nobody could be pure of heart?

Overall you've supported my point though.

You'll find a lot of nonsensical crap in most people's characters, being pure of heart isn't one of them, lol. Good people exist. No one is saying they aren't rare, or didn't make mistakes in the past, but people can have sound morals and abide by them. This you will learn with life experience, and truly getting to know older individuals.

anybody could be pure of heart. it just happens to be annoying when a player tries too hard to play a goodie two shoes character due to how forced and controlled it can sometimes feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back