Experiences Roleplay Habits!

Msy

What's up, guys! What are some roleplay habits that you should probably get out of? Mine is trying to add as much detail as possible in my responses only to forget to read through it thus, I tend to make a lot of typo's and mistakes! (I nitpick myself)

Playing the same type of character over and over. It's not really a bad habit but I could probably break out of comfort zone more often.

When I was actively roleplaying I would still have the need to reply back quickly, more often than I really should've, prioritizing roleplay ahead of other things to try to please some. It is probably why I feel burnt out by everything dealing with roleplay.

- Playing characters with SECRETS. It's a goddamn addiction at this point. I don't see myself stopping, either. Even my simplest chars have SECRETS.

- [[placing OOC in doublebrackets]]. It's a weird habit, I guess. In my formative RP years, when I was 9 or 10, I RPed with a partner who required this, and would kick you out if you didn't do it. By the time I wasn't RPing with her anymore, it had stuck. (Don't be too rough on her, I doubt she was much older than I was.)

- Getting very stuck on the same or similar char concepts for a long time. So far 6 years playing the Phantom of The Opera is my record.

I'm not too bothered by those habits, buuuut...

- I seriously abuse dashes. I use dashes all the time. I need to cut that out.

- I've ghosted/ditched before. I'm not proud. In my adult life, I've tried to always let people know what's going on. Usually RL stress, or long pauses in the RP. But... sometimes I don't let them know til weeks or months after, and that's still pretty bad.

- All my chars end up very talky. Even the ones who are supposed to be quiet.

Trying to reply to everything in a post. Sometimes it's just better to skim over details and bypass certain things in posts, but it makes my post chunkier and leaves less for me to put original content in other than responding to things people have written in their responses.

Oh God just thinking about it is a little embarassing. But, here goes what came to my head:

-Too complex/mix powers: I have an unfortunate tendency to not want to miss out on things. I really like copying powers and stealing powers, because they are, in a sense, "here have all the powers". I feel like my designs are a lot better when I'm more commital and design with a more specific path in mind, however the factoring of the unexpected element makes it a lot harder to bring myself to make those commitment, on a fear of being made obsolete.

-Mash it together! : Another bad habit I have is just deciding to mash things together instead of picking one or the other. While this is good for compromises, and has led me to interesting results, the inability to sometimes let some options go have led me to crafting characters, plots and powers that are awkward messes to read.

-"..." and "-": I just use these way too much I notice, alongside a few other forms of grammatical or structural expression such as the tiny paragraph that emphasize an abrubt change, event or realization. But going back to ones mentioned specifically, I usually them for when my character is saying something and they don't want to continue the sentence or otherwise get interrupted. This often happens because I'm a highly detailed RPer who likes making and receiving long posts. However, the people I work with aren't always tendencially as descriptive as me, so as they try to accomodate me, they can tack on more actions to respond to. Similar thing in group roleplays in general too.
So I am trying to make things more fluent, without having to resort to my characters getting interrupted every five minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back