Roleplay Forum for Midheavens

Mantis Weaver

Interactions: @Kel Vas (exit post) @Thalia_Neko

It was then in the Garden Realm that something besides Quietus's tranquility, Mantis's fear, and Wings's trust began to permeate the air. Not something bad, but something... empty. Devoid of intensity, devoid of want, except to become less. It was not a peaceful nothing. It battled against the fear and trust and threatened to consume it.

Something seemed to take hold of Quietus. Her eyes went dull, more distant than normal, and her hands were limp about her sides. Clear as glass, more opaque than mud. Only Quietus knew - had she lost faith in the power of her wish? Or had the magnitude of another wish's perversion surfaced in her mind? What despair had caused this nothingness? There was something she was unable to let go of, or something that would not let go of her, and it showed on her face.

The trees in the Garden Realm lost their leaves, and the sky turned pallid. The breeze disappeared as the air went cold. Then the sky tore open yet again, and gave way to an endless unnatural blue. The depth of something nobody knew - the closest thing would be the darkest parts of the winter sunset, the way light faded as it bounced off snow. The tear collapsed through the Garden Realm, turning its trees to crystal gravestones covered in mysterious, madly shifting runes. Turning its grass to dust, under which was something hard as ice. Turning its shrubbery columns to swirling pillars of cold water. And the lonesome cabin in the center was beginning to shift, to move.

It smelled like ash. The wind sang the song of not enough.

A soft sound escaped Quietus's lips as she fell, and Mantis instinctively caught her. The girl was limp and as cold as the air, which wasn't something Mantis could explain. But the nothingness in the air was something both girls could - the telltale hollow feeling of a Nadir. One bigger than the Garden Realm, bigger than either of them had ever faced.

Mantis shook, afraid and lacking warmth. "I don't know how that thing found us," she said. "But we need to get her out of here before we defeat it." One of her hands wasn't holding Quietus, and she brandished her scythe, as if to say, "Don't you dare take this on without me." Without another word, she sliced through the air of the Nadir's realm, tearing open the dimensions and walking through, hopefully with Wings in tow. The nothing aura lingered, but the cold disappeared and the rain returned.

In another burst of green light, Mantis transformed back into her human form. She intended to take Quietus to the safety of the flower shop, which was fairly close by, not highly populated, and had a small roll of heart jumpshock patches in its first-aid kit in case that was what the girl needed. She hoped Wings would follow - she hadn't really planned on seeing another Midheaven, or the possibility that someone could take her Stars, even though Arisu had told her both of those things were to be expected.

Where was that little bird anyway?

Sunshine Constable

There was something radiant and inexhaustible about River.  Sunshine's best friend was very aptly named; she flowed like a powerful current and nothing could turn her aside.  The affectionate hugs and beaming smile warm the redhead, drawing her out, helping her to see more clearly the dark cloud she'd been under.  

"You know Sunny...I don't bite", River said as she tapped Sunshine gently on the nose, "At least not anymore", she added with a giggle.

Inexplicably, Sunshine's cheek turned bright red.  She'd never had romantic thoughts for her best friend, mostly owing to the privately held feeling that River was so out of her league.  But the playfulness left her flustered and a touch confused.  "I make no such promises!" she finally said in reply, winking playfully at River.  

River's teasing back and her obvious affection leave Sunshine in bright, sunny smiles by the time the other girl announces they're heading out.  The destination is still a bit of a mystery but the trip should be very worthwhile!

Sunshine glanced about once they're outside, breathing in the fresh air and that ineffable scent that comes from fresh rain.  Naturally she held out her umbrella to shelter them both from the rain.  The grey of the sky didn't bother her as much as it had before.  Now, instead of feeling smothered by the heavy clouds, Sunshine looked at them with newfound wonder.  Who knows what might be on the other side?

"Despite working full-time, I've still managed to keep up my old ways", River smirked as they continued walking, "Recently I went cliff diving because I got bored, and I put olive oil in Finesse's shampoo. Oh my did he stink until he realised"

"You didn't!"  Sunshine gasped.  "Why would you...olive oil?  Olive oil?  Where do you get these ideas?"

"I've also been working hella hard on this new project my Mom gave me. I know, hard to believe I would take something seriously, but I want to do this really well".

"Of course you do.  It's who you are, River.  You never do anything half-assed.  You either achieve glorious success or you find a way to dump it off on someone else."  Sunshine's tone was teasing as she grinned at her friend.  "Besides, I think you want to see how good you really are, I bet.  Stretch your wings and fly until you hit the ceiling, and even then try to fly through it."

She slowly closed her hand once River let it go, concentrating on the lingering feel of the other girl's palm for a moment.  As usual, River handled the hostess, the table and getting them seated.  Chances were good she'd do the ordering too.  Not that Sunshine minded.  

Once at the table, Sunshine tilted her head at River's question.  "What do you think?"

"It's nice!  Nicer than I usually go to, at least on my own.  I usually hit up a diner, or did when I lived in my old place.  Speaking of the old place, I don't remember if you ever met Akoya?  He used to crash at my place now and then?  Pretty sure I told you about him.  He and my mother are great friends.  Anyway, he's younger than us but old enough and we're old enough that it doesn't matter much anymore.  I thought about going out or maybe having a get together with him and thought you might want to come too.  Meet new people, bowl them over with your personality, the usual."  The last is said with a grin.  "When are you free?"

@Bowa

Mentioned: @Devious Dilbert

Last edited by a moderator:
Wings Choriste

0zs357q.jpg

@Mollisol Mantis Weaver

Quietus Graves

Wings had been expected a normal day of training. Just meet Quietus in the designated shrine in the graveyard. The girl only knew the other Midheaven as a Midheaven, so she had no idea the significance of the area to Quietus; only knowing that a graveyard seemed like a good place to be secluded from others. Then, surprisingly just like she had originally stumbled across Quietus, a third Midheaven stumbled across the two of them. But we've been over this.

What any day in Astrophel and as a Midheaven is 'normal', though? She was more hoping for it to be normal. Yeah, that was it.

"Quietus?.." Wings asked out, seeing the Midheaven she somewhat knew.. even, considered her a friend (of sorts), turn dark. The girl collapsed forward, caught by the newcomer while everything around turned twisted. Like the power of a twisted Nadir. Trees, grass, sky, cabin, it all became a twisted, dark version of itself. The small Midheaven shivered and rubbed her arms with her hands. "I..is.. is Quietus... okay?" Wings asked, her voice clearly upset. Not even the socially inept girl could mask her pain seeing that befall her fr-friend. "Quietus..?"

This newcomer.. she said her name was Mantis, right? Mantis seemed to be able to influence this dark Garden. Finally, the two were met with the real world, where this chill was met with any 'normal' day of Astrophel. Mantis then left, carrying Quietus's body. Glancing around, Wings thought it was far more reasonable to stick with Mantis right now. She followed the tear on into Astrophel, feeling the gentle rain once more.

Blinking in surprise, she watched as Mantis transformed; back into her human self. Something that neither Wings nor Quietus ever did in each others's presences. Feeling weird, like she was trying to hide a secret, but like she owed this new Midheaven something, Wings followed suit. In a golden light, she grew several more inches, and her outfit from that morning donned her body once more, her throne disappearing, and her emotional magical pull fizzling out.

Wings was also, now in human form, following Mantis carrying Quietus, on towards her destination. "M-Mantis.." she murmured.

Wing's Midheaven Appearance

4ksrIic.jpg

Mantis Weaver

Interactions: @Thalia_Neko

Mantis had carried Quietus a few yards when she heard Wings's voice. She tried to formulate a reply, but all that came out was a grunt as she heaved Quietus onto her shoulder and kept going.

The flower shop was on the far side of the graveyard, she thought, and as long as Quietus's parents didn't see them, they'd be fine. Although Quietus was still technically transformed, Mantis doubted she still radiated anything that normal people could feel, so that would make things easier. "She'll be fine," Mantis finally said after they'd made it into the open area, studded with gravestones and bouquets. This would be the tricky part. "We just have to get her to safety. I'm going back to the flower shop, unless the funeral home has heart jumpshock patches. I'm gonna need... I'm gonna need your help, though." The words tasted sour in her mouth as she realized how much trust she was placing in a stranger.

By the time the funeral procession made its way outside, they'd nearly made it to the edge of the graveyard. The flower shop was only a block away. She thought she saw a head turn their way, though; everyone was wearing green and face coverings, so it was impossible to distinguish who. In the meantime, the stress of carrying another human was tiring her out. Especially a human that seemed near-dead. "Can you carry her, Wings?" Mantis asked plainly, too focused on the moment to break down yet. "And do you know how to assist with jumpshock pa..." She realized she was staring at Wings, and even more, that it was absurd that she hadn't recognized the girl right after she detransformed.

"Wings Choriste?" she said in disbelief. "You're a Midheaven?" What could a rich, talented singer possibly have to wish for that she'd do this? How were the two of them in the same place? And who did that make Quietus?

Wings Choriste

0zs357q.jpg

@Mollisol Mantis Weaver

Quietus Graves

Wings followed the path around the Graveyard to their destination the Flower Shop, where evidently Mantis was taking Quietus. It was a harrowing thing. The young pop idol had come here explicitly as a Midheaven expecting to get some simple training in. She hadn't expected to meet a third Midheaven. Or see the darkness consume a poor Midheaven, possibly spawned from her wish faltering. Or something? It was scary, to be frank. That beautiful world just swallowed up by despair.

'She'll be fine', the other girl stated, and Wings nodded, hoping it was so. Even though the two only knew each other in Midheaven form, she sorta basically considered Quietus her friend. And despite being a rich, successful, pretty singer, Wings was in short supply of 'friends'. "I.. will help. Can count on it. On me," she stated blandly, with the hint of fear in her monotone.

Wings was not paying attention to any procession, and definitely didn't notice anyone noticing them; in her mind, she was completely focused on saving Quietus, and the helping the other girl there to do so.

"I can... " Wing's breath left, and she trailed off. For the other girl seemed to be staring at her in confusion. A shocked expression on Mantis's face. "Yes..? That. That is my name." Her tone never left that of a girl who just seemed despondent and bland. It was kind of striking the remarkable difference she sounded behind a microphone up on stage, and just out and about like this. If Mantis knew her name, then she most likely had heard the girl sing, and could discern the obvious difference.

She repeated. "I can carry... Quietus."

4ksrIic.jpg

Mantis Weaver

Interactions: @Thalia_Neko ( @Devious Dilbert, we have made it to the flower shop)

The fact that Wings was willing to help reassured Mantis, but the fact that the idol had barely acknowledged her idol status was a little unnerving. Nevertheless, Mantis gave the unconscious (?) Midheaven to Wings and said, "Set her down gently when we get inside." She was trying not to be starstruck; after all, someone's life was hanging in the balance. Once she opened the door, she briskly walked behind the counter and got out the first-aid kit, digging for the jumpshock patches.

The owner of the flower shop, a gray-haired woman named Snow, placed (or rather, slapped) a hand onto her arm. "Just what do you think you're doing?" Mantis looked up and opened her mouth to speak, before realizing that Snow would be seeing someone walk in holding an unconscious Midheaven. Not just any someone - Wings Choriste. The fact that she was being followed by a near-celebrity made Mantis steely, even though her cheeks felt hot. "Someone needs this," she said shakily.

Wings Choriste

0zs357q.jpg

@Mollisol Mantis Weaver

Quietus Graves

Wings often did that. -Barely acknowledge the fact that she was a walking, living, breathing, pop idol, music sensation. She was too simple to really think all that much of it. Even when people around cheered and rushed to her, swarming about her like bees to a queen, she disregarded this fact. She knew she was an idol. Of course she knew it. But what that truly entailed... Well, that was lost on the girl. This was due to her inability to really be that social. People that found her outside of her concerts would quickly realize her shortcomings as a potential friend. They'd go on loving her as a singer and her music, but her social ineptitude was a big factor with her, unfortunately.

The girl was also mostly overestimating her own ability. When the larger girl was given to her, Wings's eyes momentarily expanded, feeling the weight of her friend in her arms and against her. "Nnfg.." Wings grunted, heaving Quietus. Still, just because she was small and not too strong, didn't mean she would fail her --friend! Oh, no. Wings was extremely loyal. It was apart of her emotion she was bound to. The strawberry pinkish blonde girl carried Quietus in behind Mantis. She was a bit slow in doing so, but she held fast and firm, proving she was worthy to help.

Wings had no idea there was a complication immediately inside. She also was not really prepared to be recognized as an idol, and what that would mean in this particular encounter. "W-where?.." she murmured, clutching fast to Quietus.

4ksrIic.jpg

Storm Ververs

It was another normal day for Storm, or so that's what he had thought at the start. He woke up and saw how dim and rainy it was and knew it would be a wonderful day to go visit Quietus at the graveyard and paint another picture there. So he went through his normal routine, having a nice quick breakfast, did a quick warm-up sketch of the view outside his window and put it away next to the countless others that he'd made, and then he began to gather all his tools. With the a rolled up paper, various paints and drawing utensils, his folded stand, and a large stand up umbrella all in his satchel, he was ready to take on the world and create another masterpiece. Stepping out, he took a deep breath of the rainy air and began his trek to the graveyard.

As he was making his way there he noted he subconsciously took the path that took him closer to the flower shop. Pausing in his path he wondered if he should stop by and greet Mantis before he finished his trip to the graveyard. The scent of flowers even in the musk of rain implanted an even better idea for the image he was going to paint and he now knew that he had to buy some flower petals to decorate the scene he was building. With that in mind, he adjusted his course to take him to the flower shop, and a short period of time later, he was there. Vaguely he noted some figures inside the shop, but he didn't truly pay that any true attention as he all but barged into the shop. "Hiiiii~! I came to say that and get som-... Uh..." It was at this point that he truly took notice of the situation going on in front of him. There was a celebrity, he believed her name was Wings Choriste, carrying an unconscious person, and Mantis was holding a first aid kit. He blinked and scratched the back of his head. "Did I... Did I come at a bad time? I think I came at a bad time. I'm like ninety five percent sure I came at a bad time. Hrm... You need any help? I'm pretty sure I remember some of the first aid lessons I was given all those years ago... Do I? Yeah, yeah I do. Yep. So... Help, need, yes?" Storm really had no idea what to do in a situation like this, but whatever, he'd figure it out as it went along.

Akoya Simmons

Strolling down the dull sidewalk in the pouring rain, Akoya saw that Mantis's little flower shop was rather lively today looking through the fogged windows from the outside. Did everybody suddenly want flowers during the wettest day of the week? Well- it wasn't like he could say anything. He was here for that sole reason. Anyways- interactions were nice on a gloomy day. As he got closer however, the flower shop wasn't looking so welcoming. What was he seeing?

The door breezily slid open as Akoya stopped in the doorway to close the little umbrella that he borrowed from Sunny. But in just a second, his eyes widened at the sight of a little girl trying her best to keep her balance with another injured girl in her arms and Mantis with a first aid kit- with a mildly irritated boss woman looming over her. Forgetting completely about the umbrella, he set it down to the floor with the handle standing upright.

"O-Oh my god-" He blurted out, not knowing what to feel or how to react in this situation as he split from his place at the doorway to the struggling girl, passing the silver-haired guy standing idly in the middle. He looked to Mantis, the only person he knew well enough in here. "Is she... okay? What happened...?"

"I'll help you," he said, looking back to the girl and extending his arms to take the unconscious body from her.

This wasn't exactly what he planned to go down when he was on his way here... and it was a bit uncomfortable for him to have walked in on this happening, but if this was anything serious, his compassion would not allow him to stand by if he could help.

Should he call somebody? What should he do if this was something dire? The girl had no blood on her, but her eyes being closed and her body being limp was still unsettling nonetheless. Mantis seemed like she already knew what she was doing, but- something told him that it would still be best to reach out to professional help instead.

( Interactions: @Thalia_Neko, @Mollisol, & @Exanis )

Mantis Weaver

Interactions: @Devious Dilbert @Thalia_Neko @Exanis

Snow backed off at the sight of Wings bringing in the fallen Midheaven, as Mantis noticed two other people coming in. There was Akoya, extending his arms to take the body, and Storm, wondering if he'd come in at a bad time. The first-aid kit fell out of her hands, and she scrambled to clean it up after it'd opened and its contents spilled onto the ground.

Her mouth felt dry, but she was able to point to where she needed the Midheaven to be set. Her hands dove around for the jumpshock patches, and tore off the plastic after finding them. Hastily, she knelt down, parted the other girl's shirt, and slapped the patch on, as she'd been taught in her resuscitation training. There was a loud crack noise.

Nothing.

She slapped on another patch. The same crack, and nothing.

Mantis started fully crying at this point, not even worried about trying not to sob too grossly. She'd just met this Midheaven. And now she was... gone. There was a Nadir in her place. Was it her fault?

Snow moved to call emergency services, and Mantis did not talk to anyone.

(OOC: the timeskip will be to tomorrow morning, once I get the love letters done. Hopefully the timeskip and the letters should breathe some life into this.)

The next day brought with it new developments for the Midheavens, and everyone Arisu had her eye on. For Mantis and Wings, the new day meant new gigs for the florist's assistant and the singer. It also meant a new cycle of rent, which Mantis would have to scramble to pay, causing her stress (in addition to the pains incurred by dealing with a roommate's hair-trigger temper lately). As for Wings, she would soon find out that someone had their eye on her.

The spiking price of tagigite meant the economic effects of a supply shock, and for many (including Akoya), this meant lessened job security. For others, it meant their entire livelihoods were threatened, causing a near-riot in River's district. To make things worse, people had reported Nadirs in not one but two districts.

Finally, a strange sort of magical graffiti had started to appear around town, from the walls of secluded alleyways to the doors of small storefronts. It faded through all colors of the rainbow, and had a strange glowing cast to it. The characters themselves vaguely resembled musical notes, stops, repeats, and other notations, but were illegible to all but one person.

@Devious Dilbert @Bowa @Epiphany @Thalia_Neko @Exanis

Storm Ververs

Only a day had passed and things had changed so much. The loss of Quietus had hit Storm hard, but due to his devout nature he had accepted it was simply her time to pass, and that ultimately there was nothing he could have truly done to change her fate at that point. But things simply got worse from there, and Storm couldn't help but feel that his worse fears were coming true. After he had went through his morning routine, silently thanking himself for having a set normality for the morning to help process what had occurred just the day before, Storm had gone out with a simple sketch pad and pencil in hopes of finding something to motivate him, as well as something to draw for when Quietus was eventually put to the grave. What he didn't expect were the whispers of rebellion and fear at the rising tagigite prices, and as people glanced around in fear that they would be the next to be affected by the change in economy, Storm felt another wave of true sadness wash over him and couldn't help but wonder what he could do now? And to make matters worse he had a feeling that something bad was coming, and with thinly veiled grim humor he wondered what would happen next to slowly crumble the world around him.

So it was here that Storm found himself staring at a strange graffiti that seemed magical in nature from it's constantly changing rainbow of colors. The graffiti seemed to speak to him, to tell him a story that he had heard in some form before, the story of the Apocalypse. Yet, it seemed no one else could understand what he was seeing as there wasn't any outrage, awe, prayers, or anything to show that people had understood the true nature of what lied before them. But now, he found something to take his mind off everything, at least for now. With a flourish and focused gaze, Storm began to draw the world described to him by the magic graffiti, slowly moving along the streets and roads to get the whole story, and by extension, complete the picture.

Sunshine Constable

Another day, another night.  Sunshine's time with her best friend River yesterday had been a highlight of the day, and having Akoya over the previous night for company had been nice.  But once more, the obligations of family had consumed much of her day.  So many siblings, and she had to help her mother with dinner.  Evening had allowed for a precious few hours to herself; time she'd spent outdoors in the night, searching for the Nadirs her little white bird, Arisu, had warned her of.  She didn't quite know what she'd do with one if she found one but there was one thing she knew.  She couldn't keep going on like this.  Trapped among family, trapped by love, trapped by graduation with no clue how to be a real adult, trapped in a city that was less than it'd been when she was a little girl.  Trapped in a world that was less, and growing less with every passing year.  

She had to turn the tide.  

Sunshine wakes, rubbing at her eyes and pushing away the lingering melancholy of how last night had ended.  Arisu had made a rare appearance, telling her another Midheavenite like herself had perished.  It's sobering.  With a thought, she can change into a supernatural beacon of power.  But so could that other boy or girl.  It wasn't enough to save them.  

Sighing, she goes through the motions of the morning.  If her heart isn't in it at first, the enthusiasm and cheerful passion of her siblings warms her up.  Morning prayer, breakfast, getting them all off to school and handling the dishes goes by surprisingly quickly, and she's humming to herself as she finally closes up the house and makes her way into town.  It's a forced cheer, of a kind.  Or maybe borrowed.  Her personal problems, her lack of a significant other, and the prospect of impending mortality weren't something she could so easily shake off.  But all she had to do was think of her family and her lips curve into the smiles they wore.  

Time to go spread some cheer to someone else who could use it.  Honey Sharp, for instance.  Sunshine had heard her old friend from high school wasn't doing too well.  Time to see what was up!

And maybe Honey could tell her something about that weird iridescent graffiti all over the place.  Huh.  What was that all about, anyway?

Wings Choriste

0zs357q.jpg

@Mollisol @Exanis @Devious Dilbert (these tags are just to acknowledge that Wings acknowledged your charries yesterday at the Flower Shop)

It was the next day. Somehow the time from yesterday's tragedy had just... sailed by. Where had it gone? It was too hard to tell, too sad to recollect, to depressing to figure out. The two that had showed up yesterday... They, and that other girl -other Midheaven- had tried to resuscitate Quietus... They had all tried. Nothing. Nothing had worked. Wings was not one to consider many people her true friends, despite having many fans out there. She just... she just didn't have friends, it was that simple. But Quietus... well, she was one of the few people that Wings had found herself truly treasuring. Truly experiencing a 'friendship' with. Even if it was only in Midheaven form each...

Now, now she was gone. Just... Just gone! Out of the blue! "RRAH!" Wings shouted upstairs in her room, slapping two fists down on a nearby desk. A shout from the lower floors met her, "Wings? What's going on up there?!" Her mother's voice. It didn't reach the terribly upset girl. Mantis had cried that day, that moment, when it was confirmed Quietus.. Well, when it was confirmed. Wings, she.. she had not. Bottling up her emotions like normal. Too afraid to show them? Too afraid to express sorrow? What? She did not know. Now, though, it was all coming out. Wings could feel it. The build up within her. She hadn't even prayed to Lethe last night, or this morning. Something she never missed doing!! Something was wrong, terribly terribly wrong.

"RRRRAAHH!!" Wings screamed out again, shaking around, tears flying from her eyes finally. She felt a power engulf her suddenly, and to her surprise, she was in Midheaven form. Looking over at her smaller, petite, ..-pretty Midheaven form, she felt... she just felt depressed. It wasn't fair. It wasn't fair, not to Quietus. Here she was, perfectly 'fine', beautiful as ever. Quietus was gone. Never getting to feel this life anymore. Never getting to fulfill her wish. It wasn't fair, and it wasn't right. "HHRRRRAH!!" Wings screamed out again, unable to contain herself anymore... -A voice at her room's door.

"Wings? W-Wings?! What's ~AHHHH!~" the feminine voice of a woman questioned momentarily, before screaming in pain.

Instantly, Wings turned to her side, watching the form of her moth fall, zapped by a magical outburst by her very daughter. "Mom!!" Wings called, changing back into her human form, rushing over to the collapsed woman.

A call and an ambulance later, Wings sat beside her mother in the Astrophel Hospital. She sat there feeling even more dejected, twitching uncomfortably, obvious worry displayed in her very obvious body language. "Miss Wings Choriste?" the man began, stepping into the room. She stood up to meet the much taller lab-coated person. A doctor. "Well, the injuries... we have them marked down as 'unspecified', but your mother has some aches and pains, that will clear up in a couple days. A bruise here, nothing serious. She just needs some rest. Could you again, attempt to elaborate on what happened?"

Wings stared up at him, tight-lipped, tears dancing in her eyes.

"Aha, yes, well. Like I said, after some rest, she'll be good to go back home. It may be a day or two. Nothing severe or anything," the doctor explained, with that, he left the room. Wings, too, stepped outside the room, lightly closing the door behind her. Standing out in the hall, she stared down at the ground, at her feet. Why? Why had she lashed out like that? Her mom was fine, but... but what if she hadn't been? -Wings had already seen loss recently, she didn't want to experience it again.

4ksrIic.jpg

Mantis Weaver

Mentioned: @Epiphany

"I'm done with it," Honey snapped, jabbing her finger into Mantis's chest. "You are going to pay your end of the rent, and that includes making up for how I covered for you last time, because for some saints-awful reason I was in love with you. I'm tired of it. You chose the shitty unstable job, this is your fault, you chose this damn lease - 'oh, it's in a good area! We won't get a better deal anywhere!' - don't even think about putting it on me."

Mantis flinched, again, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Honey, I wasn't--"

"I don't care! Just figure this out!" Honey turned on her heel and slammed the door to their bedroom. It wasn't really "theirs" anymore; Mantis had been sleeping on the couch ever since their last breakup.

It was Mantis's turn to stomp off and seethe, as she walked over to the fridge, opened it, and slammed the door herself. There was nothing she wanted to eat. There was never enough to eat. And as much as she hated the low pay, and being stuck under Snow and Rainbow, and the fact that not getting a wedding or funeral in a month could jeopardize her ability to pay rent, it wasn't like she had many other options. Being a florist's assistant didn't pay enough, but it paid more than unskilled labor somewhere else. She put her forehead against the freezer door, sobbing, as it fully sunk in that this was her fault. She should have become a scholar like her parents had wanted. Then she'd have so many more prospects, so many more options in times like this.

At this point, Mantis would settle for telling her troubles to someone, anyone. Maybe they could give her some sort of advice on this, or maybe they could just give her a hug and tell her this was going to be okay. Who, though? Did she know any of the flower shop regulars well enough for that? Maybe Sunshine, who came through every so often? Sunshine would probably just take Honey's side, though. Mantis looked at the clock, hoping it was less than an hour before work so she could get out of here. Nope. Resentfully, she walked over to the pantry and got out a noodle cup, like the bankrupt scholars supposedly ate. She was halfway there.

Sunshine Constable

At least it wasn't raining today.  

Sunshine makes her way downtown, past throngs of people going about their lives.  She slows here and there, noticing the headlines of the newspapers or catching a bit of a news program on a TV in a store display.  Nothing good.  Never any good news.  Pausing in front of one such television display, Sunshine takes stock of the people around her.  To her surprise, there's more than a few people just standing around and talking.  Most people should have started work by now, yet a surprising number of people just seem to be...well, talking.  Like this was a college campus and not downtown.  Most seem casually dressed, not carrying backpacks or briefcases or any sign that they plan to go to work or their on their way.  

Ever since she graduated as a nurse last spring, Sunshine had lived a largely isolated life at home.  Keeping a family of 12 going took tremendous work.  Any of her idle speculation time went to pondering the nature of being a Midheaven, what the Nadirs were, and whether her family's matron goddess Helia was really real or not.  She hadn't been out of the house much, except to hang out with friends.  So she had thought of her worries as being just hers.  How will I find a job?  What do I do with myself?  The evidence suggested a lot of people were in a similar situation though.  A lot more than she'd thought.

Disturbed despite her best intentions of holding on to good cheer, Sunshine hurries on to Honey Sharp's apartment.  

She knocks, briskly and firmly.  Once more, the sunshine's warmed up this Sunshine and the memory of her happy family gives her a little happiness she can hopefully spread to Honey.  Maybe even her roommate, Mantis, who Sunshine didn't know especially well but who seemed like a nice girl.  

@Mollisol

Mantis Weaver

Interactions: @Epiphany

The noodle cup was in the microwave when Mantis heard the knock at the door. The mint-haired girl washed and dried her face as quickly as she could before she tried to straighten up the place - getting the bills and mail in a pile on the table, arranging the chairs nicely, throwing away the trash. It all happened in less than the span of a minute. Honey either hadn't heard the knock somehow, or was busy stewing. Probably stewing. Mantis made her "bed" on the couch, and then came to the door, hoping the person hadn't left.

When she opened it, she was surprised to see... Sunshine? Oh, Alya. Mantis hoped she didn't look too disheveled; her eyes must still be red. She had her work clothes on, including her coat, so she imagined she looked at least vaguely tidy. She wondered if Sunshine would be willing to listen. She seemed nice. It was worth at least a subtle shot.

"Hi, Sunshine," she said, doing her best to hide the fact that she'd been crying. "Are you here to see Honey? Because she... might not be available right now? But I can get you a snack if you'd like, or some water."

She opened the door a little further, revealing a plain table with a bud vase in the center. Three orange tulips stood together in a modern glass vase. At least Mantis had one thing to be proud of.

Akoya Simmons

With some effort, Akoya had managed to wake up.

Ah- A new day. New opportunity. -He thought, trying his best to drown out the biting feelings of... anxiety? He couldn't really tell. Nor did he want to stay thinking about it.

Anyway- It was fairly recent news that the warehouse was going to lay some people off. Perhaps this was the reason for his mood. And there were also rumors of a nadir lurking among the shadows in the district where Jasper lived and worked.

Ah- but this shouldn't mean anything to me! -He thought.

I don't believe in that bullshit... It's all just things people use against each other as a fear tactic.

Still- it was a little nerve-wracking to hear that some monstrosity was just beneath your brother's feet.

Unfortunately, Akoya couldn't visit his family yesterday with the sudden happenings of yesterday. He felt cold when he thought about it... so, best to change the subject again.

Today, he decided, would be the day! He'd head out to his parent's place at last. Only this time, he sadly would have nothing to bring. And with that final thought, he got his shit together and made sure to lock his apartment door as he started on his way to his parents' estate.

Reaching town after just a short stroll, he continued walking past the gradual gatherings of buildings. And even more shortly after, he spotted a face that he knew. Storm Ververs, the artist himself, caught in the middle of his works. Akoya, being an oblivious man lacking a certain respect for others, decided he'd barge in to this guy's day. A gloomier morning than yesterday's rain was his motivation.

"Oh, Hey! It's Storm Ververs!" He said with a cheerful tone. Was it superficial- or not?

Looking at the sketch being filled in by the hands of Storm, he asked, "What's your latest piece?"

scanning the mural that the guy had his eyes on, Akoya wondered what inspired such art. Storm looked like he was in deep concentration, but Akoya couldn't quite see the big picture. It looked like it was maybe something religious. Could it be he had an interest in this kind of thing? And with that thought, Akoya tried searching his database of knowledge for whatever was depicted in the paint. Sadly though, nothing resonated. Maybe it's some cult thing that he's just not young and hip enough to understand? Eh- but Storm was only a year younger... Alas... something more to add to his troubles.

(Interaction: @Exanis )

Sunshine Constable

It took knocking three times to get an answer.  It wasn't the one Sunshine expected to get.  

Honey's girlfriend looked nice, maybe on her way to work, but there was a lingering ring around the eyes that suggested all was not well.  Sunshine remembered the frequency with which the two girls hooked up and broke up, and she cringed slightly as she realized the probable reason for Honey's mood lately.  

It'd be easy to blame the florist girl with the green hair.  A certain high school loyalty practically demanded it.  But Honey Sharp had always been well named; smooth when she wanted to be, and lethal when angered.  Sunshine didn't know the details and knew there were always two sides to every story.  But judging by appearances, poor Mantis was a victim here or at the very least hurting.  

"Hi, Sunshine," said the other girl.  "Are you here to see Honey? Because she... might not be available right now? But I can get you a snack if you'd like, or some water."

Ouch.  Bad fight then.  Maybe irrevocably bad.  Or maybe other things were going on.  The polite thing to do might be to excuse herself and leave an awkward situation.  But Sunshine was a caregiver by nature.  It was the reason she'd gone into nursing!  The reason she cared for her family now, for that matter.  The least she could do was see what she could do, or at least provide a listening ear.

"Hi Mantis!" Sunshine replied, managing a smile as bright as her namesake.  She sniffed once and chuckled.  "A glass of water would be nice.  Long walk!  But it smells like I interrupted breakfast for you.  I'm sorry if my timing is poor.  I just...well, I had a suspicion things weren't going well and I wanted to stop by and see how you both were."  

Assuming a chair is free, Sunshine plants herself in one at the table before leaning forward to sniff the tulips appreciatively.  Then she gestures to another chair and looks sympathetic.  "I don't know if you have to run to work but if you have a minute?  I'd love to know what's going on with you."

@Mollisol

Mantis Weaver

Interactions: @Epiphany

Mantis smiled slightly as Sunshine sniffed the tulips. Then she got out a glass, filled it with water from the fridge, and set it down on the table. Then she got her noodle cup (the microwave had beeped while they were talking) and a spoon, and sat down at the table, stirring the noodles idly.

"I have some time before I have to head out," she said. "I'm... really glad you asked, actually." She couldn't remember the last time someone had asked what was going on in her life. Where exactly did she begin with this?

"I've... been having some trouble with Honey," she said, eager to open up, but not sure how ready she was to bare her soul to Sunshine. "I'd rather let her explain it to you, though. Or maybe I'll be ready to talk about it later. I do get paid after full floral service at the wedding today, though. Maybe having enough money will patch things up? Eh, that's just mundane stuff..." She realized she was rambling a bit. "And... the funeral I served at. Someone died at it. The gravekeeper's daughter? You might have heard."

She rested her head in her hands, realizing how dismal a picture of her life she must have painted for Sunshine. If she was being honest, things hadn't been a rainbow sandwich cookie lately. She did feel, though, that she owed Sunshine something happy, to keep her answer from becoming a drama-dump on her ex-girlfriend's friend. "On the plus side... I might have made a friend. She helped me when I was trying to make sure that girl didn't die. It didn't work, but there was still... her."

Storm Ververs

Hearing someone specifically call out to him on a day such as this brought Storm to a pause. Putting away his pencil he turned and faced the voice who had gotten his attention, his usual gentle smile in place. "Well, well, if it isn't Akoya Simmons! Been a while since I last saw ya!" Chuckling, he subtly closed his sketch book before Akoya could get a proper glimpse at the scenes of destruction that he had illustrated based on the stories told to him by the glowing graffiti on the wall. "My piece? Well, I had woken up and decided I wanted to free sketch something, and lo and behold overnight this interesting graffiti just shows up everywhere! Looked sorta magic-like and whatnot so I decided to do some heavy artist interpretation of it! Helps keep me busy, ya know?" He chuckles again and turns back to inspecting the wall he was previously looking at, though this time it was to find where he had left off before he was greeted by Akoya.

Glancing over his shoulder he spoke up as he pulled open his sketch book and readied his pencil once more. "Say, while I don't really mind the company, I feel like I'm almost done with this sketch. If ya want we can walk and talk? Unless ya got another appointment to get to, in which case ya better hurry up before the foot traffic gets crazy!" He gives yet another little laugh at that, though there was a subtle undertone of sadness that he wasn't able to keep out of his voice. Nonetheless, as he finished his statement he turned his attention back to the wall and soon the sound of pencil scratching on paper furiously was heard as Storm was slowly dragged back into his element, as well as the tales of destruction and death that was prophesied by the magic graffiti.

@Devious Dilbert @Exanis

It was at that moment that a white bird, with flower petals scattered in its feathers, descended through the sky. Only the two men gathered on that particular street in that particular district could see her as she alighted, eventually coming to land on a nearby fence. She would stay there - if they didn't notice her soon, she'd speak in their heads and make them notice her.

As much love as she had for the human race, they were so flawed sometimes - they couldn't always see what was right in front of them.

Meanwhile, another bird hopped on the ground, albeit massive and cloaked in a shadow dimension. A Nadir stalked the shadows of a neighborhood, luring people in before its wings enveloped them and it took what it needed.

Lyric had entered the hospital for is weekly checkup. They were having him check in every week now since he was released, soon enough though it would be once a month. He was wearing a hat, long sleeved shirt, long pants and gloves, doing what he could to cover the burn scars. The lady at the desk said to go to room ____..... He was going the right way, he was sure of it. After being on the hospital for months, its pretty easy to memorize the layout with all the free time he had. As he walked, with his head down, he was thinking about his job problem. He really needed a job to pay for his apartment, and bills, but anything were he would be often seen was a no-go. He knew, and so did the owners, that no one wanted to come into some public place to seen someone covered in scars, and looked terrible to serve then or to help them. People didn't like that. He was thinking maybe he could do something on a computer, no one would have to see him, and he was a fast learner. As he walked down the hall when he stopped, still staring at the floor, a pair of shoes. That meant someone was in from of him, by the style of the shoes it looked like a female. she seemed upset, be he couldn't help with that he shuffled to the side about to go around Wings.

@Thalia_Neko

Wings Choriste

0zs357q.jpg

@Kimona

Wings was busy contemplating the past couple of days's recent events. A routine training session with her friend ended prematurely in tragedy, that no one could've seen coming. Something that had affected her terribly. So terribly, that she had lashed out and harmed her mother. Something she never normally would've done, for any circumstance. Someone she never would've intentionally hurt. She loved her mother deeply. What she had done... was unforgivable.

Then she had received some sort of invite to... to perform at some rich person's party? Or something. Due to her intense worry and heightened state of utter shock, she skimmed it, but it seemed she was booked for some gig. Something her mother usually did for her... She would struggle to deal with this, she knew.

Wallowing, for awhile, she blinked in surprise when someone stepped up in front of her. Looking up with steely blue eyes. The idol saw a male there, wrapped up like some burn victim. She regarded him with an instant pity. "Hello, I'm sorry about that," she mumbled cluelessly, pointing at his burnt form. 

4ksrIic.jpg

Lyric Mirror

Lyric jumped a little when he was suddenly spoken to. He glanced st he girl, he read her eyes instantly. He recognized them easily, havejnh seen the same look in everyone else who had looked at him. Pity. He hated pity, why pity someone when you can't fix it. "H-hello.." he replied looking at the floor. "W-why are you s-sorry?" He ask looking at the ground, "I-it's not like you can fix it." He replies nervously, he maybe shy, but that wouldn't stop him from being rude. "W-why are you here anyways? Y-you look f-fine to m-me." He adds, still staring at the floor.

He glanced at he girl again. He was trying to predict what she would say. She would likely be offended or be upset, maybe even angry, girls were always like that. He sighed mentally he hoped she wouldn't hit him, he had to meet doctor Johnson still.

@Thalia_Neko

Users who are viewing this thread

Back