• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Righteous Fiends OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
How many Gifts are allocated per character? Also, requested gift(s):

Nectar – The Surgeon can convert Blood into a highly nutritious, delectable golden fluid reminiscent of honey. 1 unit of Blood converts to enough to feed an adult for a full day and accelerates the healing of any injury (as Self-Repair Matrix, but user can't benefit from it). Animals will find the substance enticing regardless of their natural diet, and, after consuming it, will show absolute loyalty to the source; humans or monsters are resistant to this effect, but the nectar-producer still receives a -(your call) bonus to the difficulty of social rolls against them. By default, the substance is regurgitated; Surgeons often feed their favored "pets" in the same way a mother bird feeds her young.

Living Apothecary – The Surgeon can consume medicinally-useful substances and metabolize them into other forms, rather than simply digesting them. As a consequence, they're also immune to any poison they knowingly ingest orally.

Love me my scary faceless helmets. I'm assuming they have normal names and equivalent range of abilities (if more assassin-y focused). Do they also get fun flesh mods and armor? Do they report to a different authority?

I'm sort of brewing the mental image of a fanatic assassin who has a 50/50 chance on whether they attempt to act like a relatively normal person or just drop the facade and creepily invoke the goddess while humming to their knife.

How many Gifts are allocated per character? Also, requested gift(s):

Nectar – The Surgeon can convert Blood into a highly nutritious, delectable golden fluid reminiscent of honey. 1 unit of Blood converts to enough to feed an adult for a full day and accelerates the healing of any injury (as Self-Repair Matrix, but user can't benefit from it). Animals will find the substance enticing regardless of their natural diet, and, after consuming it, will show absolute loyalty to the source; humans or monsters are resistant to this effect, but the nectar-producer still receives a -(your call) bonus to the difficulty of social rolls against them. By default, the substance is regurgitated; Surgeons often feed their favored "pets" in the same way a mother bird feeds her young.

Living Apothecary – The Surgeon can consume medicinally-useful substances and metabolize them into other forms, rather than simply digesting them. As a consequence, they're also immune to any poison they knowingly ingest orally.

Nice. Let me ponder those in more detail but you have a good feel.

Gifts used to be XP based but I've decided that's a bullshit WoD relic, so I am still deciding how exactly to allot them without turning Fitness into a god-stat.
My gut feeling is you get 2 to start, plus 1 for each tier of Armour, which are given out at story intervals. But I am always open to system feedback, too.

Love me my scary faceless helmets. I'm assuming they have normal names and equivalent range of abilities (if more assassin-y focused). Do they also get fun flesh mods and armor? Do they report to a different authority?

I'm sort of brewing the mental image of a fanatic assassin who has a 50/50 chance on whether they attempt to act like a relatively normal person or just drop the facade and creepily invoke the goddess while humming to their knife.

They tend to only have their given name, or a new name bestowed by the devas.
They absolutely get the mods and armour, and have a whole upgrade tree dedicated to them.
Other Savaan can have elders pull rank, but Shades tend to answer only to the devas.

Their weapon of choice tends to be claws but we can find you a nice knife or other holy fetish object (I am using that term academically can anyone guess my majors yet).

Anthropology, maybe? Definitely a social science.

If you're going to limit it to two, I'd add a clause for swapping them out during rest periods. Presumably only one, and only with a surgeon's help, but you don't want to end up with half the players having less fun because they didn't predict the correct way to build their horribly deformed flesh monsters.

They tend to only have their given name, or a new name bestowed by the devas.

I'm thinking of making my character non-binary, which is actually something I wanted to ask about. Is there a particular division in gender roles/etc.? Any examples of names that are gender neutral?

Their weapon of choice tends to be claws but we can find you a nice knife or other holy fetish object (I am using that term academically can anyone guess my majors yet).
Claws sound really neat, though if you can toss a neat token/holy fetish object this way, Still-Unnamed-Shadow will be quite happy. (Also seconding Anthropology lol.)

Is our armor is currently first level, and does the Shade have one gift that's Cunning Infiltrator Configuration and another of my choice?

Anthropology, maybe? Definitely a social science.

If you're going to limit it to two, I'd add a clause for swapping them out during rest periods. Presumably only one, and only with a surgeon's help, but you don't want to end up with half the players having less fun because they didn't predict the correct way to build their horribly deformed flesh monsters.
Close! Only one college in the damn country offered anthropology and it was in my least favourite part of the island.

Oh I mean 2 to start, with more as the game goes on, and absolutely a lot of them can be swapped on downtime by a Surgeon.

I'm thinking of making my character non-binary, which is actually something I wanted to ask about. Is there a particular division in gender roles/etc.? Any examples of names that are gender neutral?

Claws sound really neat, though if you can toss a neat token/holy fetish object this way, Still-Unnamed-Shadow will be quite happy. (Also seconding Anthropology lol.)

Is our armor is currently first level, and does the Shade have one gift that's Cunning Infiltrator Configuration and another of my choice?

They're actually a pretty egalitarian society and being non-binary is very mildly holy. Since Vasnok was non-binary during the Exodus it is also fitting for a Shade - might even be what clinched their selection.

I have not thought their language through enough to gender the names so for once generic fantasy name that sounds right will work.

I am inclined to say your Armour is 2nd level - 1st is late-stage trainees.
So I'll let you have CIC and two grafts of your choosing.

History, then? And three gifts to start with gives me some nice tools to work with, but probably not both Nectar and Living Apothecary, especially if I want to branch towards any of the extra-limb layouts. Though as I read the armor descriptions, it looks like Nectar would be useless until hitting rank 3 anyway.

Quick question: how quickly could the average H'Kaeri identify us as enemy combatants? They may not have much in the way of civilian life, but is our armor ostentatious enough that even the average farmer could mark us out as Kromsian, or are we safe as long as we don't start swilling blood in public?

History, then? And three gifts to start with gives me some nice tools to work with, but probably not both Nectar and Living Apothecary, especially if I want to branch towards any of the extra-limb layouts. Though as I read the armor descriptions, it looks like Nectar would be useless until hitting rank 3 anyway.

Quick question: how quickly could the average H'Kaeri identify us as enemy combatants? They may not have much in the way of civilian life, but is our armor ostentatious enough that even the average farmer could mark us out as Kromsian, or are we safe as long as we don't start swilling blood in public?

Not directly history but boy it comes up a lot.

Apothecary is a good place to start, and I forgot to mention Surgeons don't have armour but they do get a personal 5 point Blood reservoir and some bespoke grafts, plus their diluted fleshcrafting.

The average H'kaeri could mark you instantly - the armour is very obvious, only the Surgeon and Shade have any hope of passing as normal humans. Foreigners might think you're weird itinerant monster hunters as long as you're not spilling blood.

How bespoke are we talking here? Also, when if ever does a surgeon's blood capacity expand?

I think I listed some in the big list, and since Surgeons have some fleshcrafting they can customize their loadout without fear of rejection - even making their own, unique grafts.
I hadn't decided on a when yet but I'm thinking it's an upgrade the devas bestow on you in your sleep when they decide you've earned it.

Okay, the Surgeon-exclusives listed are the Magnificent Panoply, toxin sacs, and their apotheosis. I'm thinking I'll skip the tentacles for now in order to enter towns and purchase supplies. My pets can have all the weeeeird bits.

I would say Apothecary and Nectar should be Surgeon exclusives too.
And if anyone of us comes up with more ideas, good.

I'd agree on that. Maybe subdermal plating that gives the defensive benefits of bio-armor, or decentralized bodily functions in order to increase natural healing and immunize you to called shots.

Black Heart
A small organ implanted in the abdomen that provides +3 to Stealth in dark conditions, calling darkness to surround the Savaan. It can be somewhat conspicuous in bright light, as tendrils of eldritch shadow struggle feebly to envelop their body.

Does this mean that little darkness tentacles will constantly be flickering about, even in daytime? Or is this a conscious thing that they have to activate, and if they do, then the little tentacles flail about ineffectively?

Does this mean that little darkness tentacles will constantly be flickering about, even in daytime? Or is this a conscious thing that they have to activate, and if they do, then the little tentacles flail about ineffectively?

It means they'll be present even in full daylight but I'd allow with concentration they can be suppressed for a while.

Will you be releasing a character sheet? I want to be a Twilight Guard but I think I'll understand what I need to think about more if I have an outline.

Will you be releasing a character sheet? I want to be a Twilight Guard but I think I'll understand what I need to think about more if I have an outline.

I am very lazy but I'll see if I have a template anywhere - Spiderheart's sheet is a pretty solid example though.

The character thread is up and you can see it all there!

Would it be reasonable to use Intuition for diagnosis and/or treatment rather than Dexterity or Intellect? Especially given the fact that being a Surgeon is innate.

Would it be reasonable to use Intuition for diagnosis and/or treatment rather than Dexterity or Intellect? Especially given the fact that being a Surgeon is innate.

Intuition for diagnosis is fine, but Dex is often going to be good for Treatment, and you get to add your Willpower to any Medical roll.

Gotcha, gotcha. One final requested Gift:

Breath of Night
Prerequisite – toxin sacs or Living Apothecary

The Savaan takes their internal poison and aerosolizes it, exhaling it in an area around them. It no longer requires the use of a weapon, finding its way into the lungs and eyes of everyone present by mere dispersal; however, it also weakens rapidly as it spreads further from the source, effectively giving all victims an internal bonus of 1 per meter from the epicenter to their roles to resist it. Using multiple doses of a poison, or, in the case of toxin sacs, spending blood, increases the distance before the bonus increments by an additional meter.

Nice, I like that.
I actually have a list of bespoke toxins unique to Surgeons, but it was written about ten years ago so I decided that kind of out-of-the-box thinking should be encouraged over 'Apply Cloudgel to an attack to reduce target Inuition by x until y'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back