• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Righteous Fiends OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
Chatter, shitpost, ask questions, discuss characters.

More threads to be linked as I get time.

Quick naming questions!

Are there patronyms? Given the female central deity, matronyms? Do they come before or after given names? Would members of the twilight caste have "functionary" names separate from their given names?

Quick naming questions!

Are there patronyms? Given the female central deity, matronyms? Do they come before or after given names? Would members of the twilight caste have "functionary" names separate from their given names?

Naming order would go Family Name Matronym Personal Name.
Some may have functionary titles including Surgeon, but may have nicknames or deednames.
The only family name that comes immediately to mind, because I can't get my full notes on a work machine, is Kinnoch. Some given names used by NPCs in the past have included Raldryss, Kinvass, Eldryss no I do not know where all the sibilants came from.
More examples when I can get to my files.

Also, traditionally Savaan have a family scarbrand, a kind of decorative ritual scarification on a shoulderblade like a family crest.

So Levenat Perison Rahu, also known as Surgeon Levenat, Rahu, and Crybaby, is a perfectly valid name? Because that's what I might go for.

So Levenat Perison Rahu, also known as Surgeon Levenat, Rahu, and Crybaby, is a perfectly valid name? Because that's what I might go for.

Love it.

Testing the waters here. How's this for a potential face claim?

If you like it, that's fine, because I gotta tell you - I have no feelings on faceclaims as long as your character description isn't massively out of step with the setting.

Word~ I'm just trying to get a grasp for what kind of emotions and themes I should envision. I may not even use a face claim simply because they can be difficult to find.

The overall themes are definitely going to be faith, struggle, and my usual transhumanist bullshit.
In terms of emotional tone, we're looking at dark and serious with moments of levity and familial tenderness.

What sort of opposition are we looking at? I'm guessing an inquisition of some sort, but how common are things like heavy armor, ranged weaponry, cavalry, etc.?

What sort of opposition are we looking at? I'm guessing an inquisition of some sort, but how common are things like heavy armor, ranged weaponry, cavalry, etc.?

Your enemy favour archery, ranks of disciplined polearm teams, and heavy siege weapons like hwacha for laying waste to large armies and war-monsters alike. They use cavalry sparingly but they do have it. They have the best metallurgists in the world at this time, so their armour is light and strong. The war is cold, right now, and you instigate more skirmishes than they do.
They also sometimes deploy strange weapons of unknown providence, and that has been escalating in recent years.

Wider enemies, like in the countries further away, do have an Inquisition but are more feudal than the military junta of H'kaer, your ancestral foes. So they have a lot of peasant levies and mounted knights, and are not a direct threat.

Okay, useful to know. Lots of troops for whom mobility is a priority or for whom armor would be an extraneous expense, plus a bunch of formation-fighters. Can I request the existence of a poison that induces euphoria? Like a laughing-gas overdose, basically?

On a more salient level, can I have a pseudo-skunk that sprays the stuff?

The poison, yes.

The skunk - we'll see about specimen acquisition as we go.

What kind of experience level is a starting character? Are we accomplished campaigners, fresh recruits or somewhere in the middle? Good to know for background and swagger level. Thanks.

What kind of experience level is a starting character? Are we accomplished campaigners, fresh recruits or somewhere in the middle? Good to know for background and swagger level. Thanks.

In this case, you'll essentially be fresh out of military academy slash seminary.
Maybe you have one actual mission or a handful of boring patrols under your belt.
I am thinking you'll all be early twenties but I'm open to talking history with anyone aiming for older.
The XP levels listed in the chargen thread reflect normally seasoned characters, but in your case it's the benefit of intense and structured education.

Gotcha, catch a skunk to use a skunk.
Do you have martial arts in mind for each weapon yet, or no? And how heretical would pragmatic pacifism be? I get the sense from the setting doc that we're sort of expected to use messy weapons, but I like the idea of using a mix of non-lethal poisons and weapons up until there's no option but killing.

Gotcha, catch a skunk to use a skunk.
Do you have martial arts in mind for each weapon yet, or no? And how heretical would pragmatic pacifism be? I get the sense from the setting doc that we're sort of expected to use messy weapons, but I like the idea of using a mix of non-lethal poisons and weapons up until there's no option but killing.

I have four martial arts written up, and Surgeons are actually expected to stay out of direct combat unless forced to defend themselves, so your pragmatic pacifism is actually fine.
There's a whip-based non-lethal MA you could opt for but honestly spend your XP elsewhere where you can. We'll graft some combat tentacles with soporific venom onto your spine.

Duly noted! I'll put my ideas for an artillery porcupine on hold for now. (As an aside, I probably should go spines or carapace over tentacles. More defensive.)

Only if my beasts can be horridorable. A bear is good; a bear covered in barbed spines with the ability to breathe acid gas is infinitely better.

Duly noted! I'll put my ideas for an artillery porcupine on hold for now. (As an aside, I probably should go spines or carapace over tentacles. More defensive.)

Tentacles double as great Surgical tools. Your grandmother had them, don't you want to be like grandmother?
No?
I see. Excuse me, I must speak with your father.

Meanwhile, other family names I found in my notes:
Sohal
Vir
Ralek

Some other given names I found:
Voldryss
Saadus
Raya

I can have small tentacles, attached at the elbow. You wouldn't use a scalpel to slit a throat, would you? Besides, Granny always complained about how she couldn't find good chairs; I'm sure she'd understand.

I will soon post two things:

The martial arts in full, which are-
Laughing Blade Style, for being an arrogant swordsman
Loving Master Style, for disarming fools with a whip
Awakened Titan Style, for punching knights to death through their amour
Flickering Shadow Style, for sneaky murder

Also some stats and special effects for the living armour, and a list of biological augs and grafts to choose from such as bonus hearts, extra limbs, or the ability for your arm to slither out of your shoulder socket and go spying for you.

oh shit oh fuck

Subject to rebalances

Also if you have ideas for Gifts, go nuts and let me know. Looking at you, Spiderheart Spiderheart

Sliding in here to express my enthusiasm and ask about the Shade of the Divine. Is this character also a fresh new soldier? Are they like a leader, or are they more of a peer with the capacity to override in matters of theocracy? As for style, I'm assuming that Flickering Shadow Style is the one that the Shade uses. Any lore stuff I might need to know?

Shades are peers with some theocratic authority, mainly if it seems like anyone is considering or committing heresy, or when the rest of the Eclipse needs prompting to punish a witnessed heresy or blasphemy (the captain might say 'we don't have time', and the Shade will look at them with their scary faceless helmet until they decide we have time).
The Shade would be maybe slightly more senior, but they would have been selected when younger and trained a bit differently.
I cannot think of any specific lore you need right now, but if you have literally any questions based on what's available so far you know how I love to improvise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back