Other research is not enough

ewolf20

the aspiring roleplayer
so it seems like I can't please everyone, or in this case, the person who assumes that a young lady like myself can't write a story but I don't understand the subject matter.

they said this
anonymous said:
You shouldn't play with things you don't understand and know!
What experience have you from a Muslim immigrant environment? Or from conservative catholic?
You must be familiar with these to write about.

If you have seen such a real story just write down what you saw, like reporting and avoid personal thoughts. If not forget this idea. Real issues do not need fantasy, only make the things even worse.

I actually plan on doing research but I honestly don't know where to start. writing with color isn't receiving any questions, and I don't know where else to go.

now they replied back with

anonymous said:
No, I don't say that you know nothing. Only the fact you want to deal with this means you have experience of strong pictures, but this is not enough. Research is not enough. You must have real experience from inside situations.

see the problem is, research is not just reading some articles. it's talking to people, seeing experiences, going places. although I don't want to waste my time doing that, I'll rather go a library, ask some Muslim immigrants, rather spend millions to go to Syria to see what it's like. also, I know what write what you know is and the actual definition. it's common that people can get the term mixed up with only writing your own experiences.

and sadly, I kinda cursed him out for it. but I guess I was really under the emotions today.

I think it depends on what you're writing.

In some forms of writing, you have a responsibility to tell the truth without mistakes. This is not only journalism but any writing that people might take as fact or be influenced by. You don't want to spread ignorance.

But if you are talking about an rp, I'd just say 'try not to be racist'.

You could always put a question up here looking for someone with the experience you want. Or a quick wiki or TED talk might be painless.

I think it depends on what you're writing.

In some forms of writing, you have a responsibility to tell the truth without mistakes. This is not only journalism but any writing that people might take as fact or be influenced by. You don't want to spread ignorance.

But if you are talking about an rp, I'd just say 'try not to be racist'.

You could always put a question up here looking for someone with the experience you want. Or a quick wiki or TED talk might be painless.
this was meant for a webcomic, not a rp. and the person blocked me afterwards.

Well, I wouldn't put too much stock in a person who blocked you after a brief conversation, unless you know you've done something wrong.

What was it that set them off?

Well, I wouldn't put too much stock in a person who blocked you after a brief conversation, unless you know you've done something wrong.

What was it that set them off?
this
ewolf20 said:
there have been plenty of people who used research, inquiries, and other things to understand the subject matter. and, it has proven to work. to say it isn't enough, dare I say, bull shrimp. I understand what you're saying, but research and experience are extremely important. but, you are of course you are a minority in this opinion and the day this becomes a thing and nail it, screw it. you're one of the people that when someone touches upon something that they at least know or are currently researching on, you ask them to scrap the idea because they're not ready.

in that case, she should go back to being Jewish if that makes you goddamn happy.

sorry for the language of the post.

Write (or draw) your thing.

You're not going to please everybody, and some are probably going to get really incensed about it, but they always will. So long as you do your research, ask questions and put love into it, then that's the best you can do. Sure, listen to criticisms and advice, but there's a world of difference between "I have some concerns about what you wrote" and "How DARE you consider yourself ALLOWED to write this".
The latter's going to be the kind of person who looks for something to get worked up over, and you're not going to please them even if you get on your knees and beg for forgiveness. They don't care about what you're writing, they just want the moral high ground.

So... yeah, they're talking out of their arse. The whole point of doing work in a creative field is that you get to imagine and think outside of your own experiences. Step out of your comfort zone. Learn to research and ask for advice as it takes you places. Everything's fair game, because if it wasn't then it would be so incredibly boring.

And if people don't like what you write, then they have absolutely no obligation to read it. And anyway, nothing's stopping them from making their own thing. You do you.

There is a difference between "You shouldn't write that because you aren't *insert type of person here*" and "You are incorrect about *this type of person here* and are writing out of ignorance. Here is why you are wrong and here is where you can learn more."

You ran in to the first situation, which is poor criticism. Ignore it.

When you run into the second situation, use it as a learning experience. Don't interrogate the person or expect them to educate you about themselves. If you are a minority, you shouldn't be expected to educate everyone person you meet. It get tiring having to explain yourself to everyone. I'm introducing a deaf character into my quest next post. It is so tempting to go into the Hearing Impaired thread and ask questions. But that thread isn't for me. So I stick to google searches and hope I got everything right.

Take what criticism a person is willing to offer, be thankful, and use their comments as a direction to do more research.

I remember reading about some Asian guy writing about Slavery in Antebellum South. People were pissed until someone brought up all the white guys writing about slavery in Antebellum South.

Write what you want. Do research. You will probably fuck up. Remember everyone fucks up, even if they write about something they know. Just learn from your mistakes and move on. Not letting failure deter you is what makes successful writers different from unsuccessful writers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back