• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Suggestion Removing the Status Update Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of us like reading rants other people's problems as a form of entertainment (douchey, yes, but it is what it is), so it doesn't actually make a negative environment in such peoples' cases... But for those that don't feed off of the negative emotions of others, I can understand how the negative statuses could be seen as a bad thing.

Still, rather than removing the whole thing, I think it would be better to just add a Preset Tag function to the updates themselves. For example, after writing a status update, you could just plug in 'Personal Status (the default)', 'Rant', 'Schedule-Related', or (not and) other classifications that are common on status updates. Having a filter option for certain Status Tags in the Settings portion of our profiles would be convenient to avoid certain tags, but even without them people could just not look at updates that are tagged a certain way.

People will forget to change the tags, and people will neglect the fact they can filter certain tags, but in both of those cases all that's needed is a reminder. If they continue to ignore the Tags, then reporting would be fully justified regardless of one's opinion on whether it negatively effects the roleplaying environment.

Hey all.

Please allow me to start by saying that we value all suggestions and we seriously do consider things like this but we will not remove a feature of the site simply based on emotions or someone being offended. RpNation.com is not a democracy.

We understand that the Status Update Bar has been out of control these past couple of weeks, but let me remind you that apart from dealing with reports(which is what users should be doing), we've been pooling all staff resources and efforts into the hundreds of man hours that its taken to prepare for the migration on Sunday. Also IPS does not have a decent ignore feature like xF did. Once we return, we expect staff to be able to completely focus on making sure all of our positive rules are enforced(which they are! but if you don't report, we don't currently have the time to keep an eye on it 24/7). 

At this point in time we have no intentions of removing the social bar but it is something we will always consider.

@Captain Gensokyo, you are so hell bent on Rule #7 that you forget Rule #1

You are rapidly leaving the territory of calmly and respectfully explaining the site rules to users. You will be punished for your hyper vigilantism if you choose to continue. Your point has been registered, we've been talking about it as a staff since you first brought it up. Do not become that which you are trying to destroy. Don't add to the negative environment.

As always, if you find something that offends/bothers you, report, report, report!

Just quoting my self here for everyone who missed it.

Again, opinion. I'd actually say it'd be better off because it'd put the focus back on writing and creating those roleplays. I mean, let's be honest; how much of the status updates are actually for socializing? Because a large chunk of it is just spamming dead memes and angst.

I would say it's almost statistically proven that roleplays with social interactions with their roleplayers are more likely to succeed than if there isn't. @Ammy I also enjoy the multiple parts of the forum that create social interactions. Infact before this... all of the roleplays that I joined before simply did not have that as an option. I think it's what makes RPN different.

Let the Staff do their Job - It is acceptable for users to calmly and respectfully explain site rules and regulations to other users, but users are not staff of the site. Users are not allowed to belittle or demean another user for their actions. Staff members are here to deal with that. If a user is breaking a rule it should be reported. Users are not to police RpNation and will be punished for vigilantism against other users.

Sorry, I didn't take notice of this and consider that my acts might be "vigilantism." I'm glad you guys have taken the issue into consideration. That's mostly what I'm aiming for, anyway.

You are rapidly leaving the territory of calmly and respectfully explaining the site rules to users. You will be punished for your hyper vigilantism if you choose to continue. Do not become that which you are trying to destroy. Don't add to the negative environment.

As always, if you find something that offends/bothers you, report, report, report!

I understand what's being asked of me here, but I'm still trying to understand what constitutes negativity. Although I agree that my recent actions have been aggressive, I thought at the time that directly informing users about it would help change things. This doesn't seem to be the case, like what I mentioned in the original post. I've been reporting anything I think might be up for grounds as a violation otherwise.

In any case, once again, hats off to you guys for acknowledging the issue and discussing it. I'll heed the forewarning as mentioned and stop doing what I've been doing.

> Not sure whether to like for the Simpsons/Death Note meme or not because I disagree

I think the thread should at most be locked. Deleting it would get rid of all the discussion about this.

ye, ye.

delet this, metaphorically speaking, of course.

and enjoy it for both.

i have more where that came from.

Average user here, throwing in his two cents and whatnot.

I usually ignore the Status Update Feed altogether, save for the occasion that I see a familiar face there and feel like commenting on whatever they posted. I barely use the the status update feature myself, but I'm likely a minority here, being an adult roleplayer with a job and all, mindful that while I could use this feature to cry out to others to share in my daily inconveniences, that would be a contribution to the phenomenon that is debated here on-topic: negative impression of the site and its userbase.

I respect freedom of speech, and I think the update feed is in general a good feature to have, enhancing the feeling that this site is indeed a community, and encourages interaction.

But in all honesty, I have to agree with a few persons who have posted before me, that all too often, the updates are downright depressing and cringy to read through, and can potentially discourage newer members from socializing.

And therein lies the frustration.

I follow an "if it bothers you but is otherwise harmless, pay it no heed" mentality, but I know not everyone thinks like that. I'd vouch for open/close the feed option to the interface or maybe add a user setting to conceal it if switched on, and let each user decide if they want to see it or not. But I am unaware if that is a possibility, as I am not familiar with the site's coding.

//shrug emojii

Collapsible sidebars are a thing, guys.

Would it be possible to make it so that you could turn the status side bar off/on? I don't care what people post so long as I would be able to have it off on my end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back