• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Reminiscent of the Stanford Prison Experiment

Chase

Crazy Cat Lady

"Reminiscent of the Stanford Prison Experiment"
The controversial experiment at Stanford University ended rather quickly... and for good cause. Though the experiment was meant to last a full two weeks, it ended in a mere six days, because of the intense and extensive psychological stress the "prisoners" were put under. It did, however, teach us many things about the human mind and the way it responds to its environment. However, the results were inconclusive.
In addition to the short time frame, the experiment was flawed because of the volunteers themselves. Those who volunteered scored higher on measures of abuse-related dispositions, such as aggressiveness, authoritarianism,
Machiavellian-ism, narcissism, and social dominance, and lower on empathy and altruism. This means the results of the experiment- the extreme behaviors of the "guards", were predestined to occur. This is a hindsight, of course, and hindsight is always 20/20.
Doctor Amelia Gordan, an American sociologist, wishes to create a similar environment in today's time, using that hindsight to correct the flaws of Zimbardo's experiment. However, the American Board of Psychology has shot down her proposal numerous times. Those involved in the Stanford experiment are still dealing with the trauma today. It would be unethical to subject another group of young adults to a similar situation.
Where most would have given up, Dr. Gordan did not. She moved her experiment to an isolated house in the French countryside, and recruited her volunteers via a third party by telling them they would win an all expenses paid vacation to France, for the low price of filling out a few questionnaires.
These questionnaires were a way to find out the volunteer's social class, as well as various personality tests, both of which play a role in what part they would be given in the experiment.
Gordan's experiment differs from the original in that, instead of having a prison set up, there would be three groups of 6 young adults all living on isolated grounds for two months. The first group, what they would be calling the A's, were similar to the guards in the prison. These 6 persons will have been told that they can create any rules they want, and can enforce them however they want, as long as all six are in agreement, and no one is harmed. It will not be specified what kind of harm they mean, that is for the A's to figure out themselves. The second group, the B's, have the ability to change a rule, or void it, if they can get all 12 of the residents who are not A's to agree to change the rule. Lastly, the C's. This group has no power whatsoever.
The 18 persons involved in the experiment are located on a property in the french countryside that spans two acres. There is a small lake, a fair amount of woods, a creek, and a field of wildflowers, in addition to the large brick home. Four stories, a top of the line kitchen, two full bathrooms per floor, and 20 bedrooms, in addition to a state of the art entertainment center and two living areas, both of which have fireplaces. There is also a basement and an attic, but they have been forbidden from entering them, though the doors are not locked. The entire property is surrounded by a twelve foot high cast iron fence. Doctor Amelia and three of her interns live in a small cottage just outside the fence, watching the footage from the cameras placed in every room around the clock- and only they have the codes to access the electrified gate that is the only way on or
off the property.

OoC|IC|CS

BE NICE YO

code by pasta

please code this! If you can't code there's lots of freebies in the BBCode Center
I know. I don't think you saw, but I coded it and when I tried to edit it, the Rich Text Editor sort of freaked out, so I just removed it all. I'm restoring it right now :p

Attention!! I'd like to see more male characters as we currently only have one character sheet besides my own for a male

okay guys right now we have five female characters and 4 male characters, so that's pretty even. We still need 4 females and 5 males, but the quicker that happens the quicker we can begin!!

Hey! I wanted to know if this is open? I'm very interested :)
i have no clue how BBCode works so nothin' too fancy from me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back