• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Regret for Peony Flowers

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here

mon

if ever just the same
Regret for Peony Flowers

[div class=img]
the bloom is not a bloom
the mist is not a mist;​

at midnight the bride comes​
and withers away at dawn;​

the peony eaten by the lotus,​
upon rebirth wakes the sleeping beast​

in a cycle of yearning and revenge​
heaven's will cannot be predicted.​

[class=img]
height:45px;
min-width:90px;
background-color:white;
margin:auto;
position:relative;
top:18px;
left:18px;
display:inline-block;
padding:10px;
padding-right:12px;
border-radius:1.8px;
padding-top:3px;
font-family:New Times Roman;
[/class]

[class=img]
height:205px;
width:390px;
display:inline-block;
opacity:0;
transition:0.7s;
position:relative;
[/class]

[class name=img state=hover]
opacity:0.75;
[/class]
[/div]
nie zhelan XX jin mingqian XX lan yuhuan XX jiang ruyin

[class name=scontainer] display: flex; flex-flow: row wrap; margin: 0px -4px; overflow: hidden; box-sizing: border-box; width: 79%; [/class] [class name=sbutton] margin: 0px 2px; background-color: #f0f0f0; color: #8d8d8d; flex: 1 0 100px; width: calc(100% - 10%); background: #f0f0f0; transition: all .8s ease-in-out; cursor: pointer; text-align: center; padding: 10px 5%; [/class] [class name=sbutton state=hover] background: #8d8d8d; color: #FFFFFF; [/class] [class name=sbuttoncurr] background: #8d8d8d; color: #FFFFFF; transition: all .8s ease-in-out; [/class] [class name=stab] display: block; background: #f0f0f0; box-sizing: border-box; width: 100%; padding: 10px; margin: 4px 2px; [/class] [script class=sbutton version=2] (hide "stab") (show "onetab") (addClass "sbuttoncurr" "onebtn") [/script] [script class=sbutton version=2 on=click] (hide "stab") (removeClass "sbuttoncurr" "sbutton") (= currenttab (index (split (getText) "#") 0 )) (show (+ currenttab "tab")) (addClass "sbuttoncurr" (+ currenttab "btn")) [/script] [div class="scontainer"] [div class="sbutton onebtn"]
one#
plot[/div] [div class="sbutton twobtn"]
two#
timeline[/div] [div class="sbutton threebtn"]
three#
setting[/div] [div class="stab onetab"]
A GDC-inspired roleplay filled with pain, pain and more pain. The poem hints it all and I'm really bad at summaries.
[/div] [div class="stab twotab"]
The characters in the RP are all juniors to the junior disciple generation in the GDC series. Which means Lan Sizhui, Lan Jingyi, and Jin Ling are their seniors (compared to when the three of them were juniors to Mo Xuanyu / Wei Wuxian). The age gap between them is 5-6 years.

The original characters are 15-16, prior reincarnation. They are 28-29 in present time. I'm putting a character guide down below cause I know how confusing things can get, with titles, names and what not.

Elders: Jiang Cheng, Lan Xichen, Nie Huaisang, Jin Guangyao (Deceased), Wei Wuxian, Lan Wangji

Seniors: Jin Ling, Lan Jingyi, Lan Sizhui, Nie Yixin*, Jin Heilan*, other misc. side charas mentioned in the novel like Jin Ling's cousin Jin Chen

Juniors: Nie Zhelan*, Lan Yuhuan*, Jin Mingqian*, Jiang Ruyin*

(* means they're original characters)

Jiang Sect Patriarch
Originally Jiang Fengmian, succeeded by his son
Courtesy name: Jiang Wanyin
Title: Sandu Sengshou
Birthname: Jiang Cheng

Gusu Lan Sect Patriarch
Originally Lan Qiren, succeeded by his nephew
Courtesy name: Lan Xichen
Title: Zewu-zun
Birthname: Lan Huan

Nie Sect Patriarch
Originally Nie Mingjue, succeeded by his brother
Courtesy name: Nie Huaisang
Title: Head-shaker or Good for Nothing

Wei Wuxian
Title: Yiling Patriarch
Married to: Lan Wangji
Birthname: Wei Ying

Lan Wangji
Title: Hanguang-jun
Married to: Wei Wuxian
Birthname: Lan Zhan

Jin Sect Patriarch
Originally Jin Guangyao, succeeded by his nephew
Courtesy name: Jin Rulan
Birthname: Jin Ling
*although Jin Ling is a patriarch, he's technically counted as a Senior because of his age
Wang Chenyang
Meaning: Rising Star / Morning Star
Courtesy name: Jin Heilan
Birthname: Jin Shen
Extra: Jin Mingqian's older brother & Jin Ling's cousin

Lan Jingyi
Meaning: Jing means “scenery”, while Yi can mean either “appearance”, “etiquette”, or “gift”

Lan Sizhui
Meaning: To recollect and long for
Birthname: Lan Yuan / Wen Yuan
Extra: Adopted son of Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji
Wang Shenlong
Meaning: Dragon Spirit
Courtesy name: Nie Zhelan
Birthname: Nie Lan

Yuxue-Zun
Meaning: Snow Jade
Courtesy name: Lan Yuhuan
Birthname: Lan Yun

Min Fenghuang
Meaning: Phoenix
Courtesy name: Jin Mingqian
Birthname: Jin Mi

Qúhua Liang
Meaning: Lotus fairy
Courtesy name: Jiang Ruyin
Birthname: Jiang Yin
Chen Sanyang - Jiang Sect Disciple whose eyeing the Jiang Sect Main Seat
[/div] [div class="stab threetab"]
The RP is set in ancient, wuxia China. Because it's a gdc-inspired RP a lot of the locations will be taken from there. If you don't know what GDC is, look up mo dao zu shi. You won't regret it.

Gusu Lan Sect - A cultivation sect based in the Cloud Recesses, located on a remote mountain outside the city of Gusu. It is constantly enveloped in mist, giving it the appearance of a place floating on an ocean of clouds in the immortal realm. It is most distinguishable by its Wall of Discipline, a cliff which has 4 thousands rules engraved into its side.

Gusu Lan's motto is "Be righteous" and its motif are flowing clouds. Gusu Lan disciples are known to wear white headbands with only members of the direct Lan clan wearing headbands with the cloud motif pattern. The current patriarch is Lan Xichen, soon to be succeeded by Lan Sizhui.

Yunmeng Jiang Sect - is a cultivation sect located in Yunmeng's Lotus Pier. Their motto is "To attempt the impossible" and their motif is the nine-petaled lotus. The current patriarch is Jiang Wanyin, soon to be succeeded by Jiang Ruyin.

LanLing Jin Sect - is a cultivation sect based in Carp Tower. It is considered one of the wealthiest sects, known for using high-end spiritual items on night hunts. Male disciples from the Jin sect are seen to wear their hair in high ponytails adorned with golden hair cuffs. All Jin patriarch heads and members of the direct Jin clan are identified by the vermilion mark on the center of their forehead.

Their motif is the white peony (sparks amidst snow). The current patriarch is Jin Rulan, recently succeeding Jin Guangyao.

Qinghe Nie Sect - is a cultivation sect based in the Unclean Realm. They are they only sect who cultivates with fierce spirits using a saber, a technique which requires greater strength and a more violent fighting style. This was started by the founder who was a butcher.

Their motif is the head of a beast. The current patriarch is Nie Zhelan, who founded and instigated a new, sub-category cultivation method for the Nie sect and the successor after Nie Huaisang.
[/div][/div]
coded by Isla

Last edited by a moderator:
every story starts with a prologue

It was blood and ash and the bitter bite of metal.

Through the murky mist of burning sulphur, a figure could be seen, looming over Jin Mingqian. The blade in his hands dripped vermilion.

"How could you..." Mingqian gurgled, pain surging from her throat. Blood seeped ceaselessly through the wound in her chest, darkening red robes. It shouldn't have been enough to kill her and yet death was already gripping at her soul, calling her home. She glared up at her killer, lips pulling into a vile sneer which was intimidating despite her position. The corners of her vision was beginning to darken.

"Nie Zhelan, even if I die, I will never forget this," she rasped, voice strained with putrid hatred. "If my soul isn't destroyed, don't doubt that I will surely come back to kill you!" she roared. Pain ripped through her body. Blood spurted from her mouth and in a final gasp of breath, her body met the earth.

And then, there was nothing.

Last edited:
Niè Zhĕ Lán
聂者兰 - present day Nie patriarch

The chirping sparrow sings its song, high above cedar branches. It stills when the atmosphere shifts, the presence of the strong making itself known. Instead of frightening and fleeing, it stays with cocked curiosity. The presence of the stranger is commanding and enticing. It takes the form of a very handsome man, dressed in dark ebony. The cuffs of flowing sleeves, his lapels, hanging tassel and serpentine headpiece are all the color of gold. White jade sits in the center of the serpent's open mouth: a decorative dragon piece, displaying the man's status as Wang Shen-Long.

He's followed by discipling cultivators but even among the bright-eyed, ambitious youths, Zhelan stood levels above in grace and power. Truly deserving the title of a Dragon Spirit, with a wave of his hand, he sent the group of cultivators away to leave him in peace. They obeyed immediately, scuffling away like obedient mice until it was just the Dragon King and the sparrow.

The bird's head tilts in confusion. The man says nothing and his aura is still powerful and domineering, but it rounds with something forlorn. His eyes carry the weight of a thousand seas and it lowers as he lights some incense. A small nameless shrine sits on one of the Nie garden's walls. As he sticks the joss stick into the ash-filled pot, he utters a name just loud enough for himself and the sparrow, a name so heavy with regret and grief that the small bird feels ashamed to have witness, despite knowing nothing:

"Jin mi."

Silence envelops for a sorrow-filled moment and all is still until Zhelan's lips part in a silent whisper, "I miss you." The wind sweeps through the pavilion. Bamboo reeds rustle and sway almost in response. The man allows himself another thought-filled moment and then it is gone. The grief and sadness is replaced with burning ambition, brimming with confidence and power. He's the Dragon King again.

The sparrow watches from his tree branch a while longer and then, it decides wisely, to fly away.
(ooc: no one asked for this)​

Jīn MíngQiàn
金明倩 - present day Jiang Ruyin

Jin Mingqian awoke eight years later with the glare of the sun blaring in her eyes. She groaned as she rolled over in what she expected to be a bed, but the mattress was hard and uncomfortable. It was almost no better than the floors.

"What is this? Did someone replace cotton with stones?" she grumbled, her voice sounding a lot smoother than her usual. Everything felt heavy and from the sun's position in the sky, she figured it was mid-noon. Mid-noon. How did she allow herself to sleep in this late? There were things she had to complete in the morning, chores she couldn't miss out on, how could she---

Wait a minute.

The truth settled in, slow and dawning. The wind swept through the creaks of the wooden door and bare windows. Everything was silent for a moment and then, sitting up, Mingqian realized, it didn't matter.

She was dead. She's been dead for years now.

"Jiang Ruyin! How long do you plan to stay in there? Are you really not going to come out and see Wang Shenlong? All the cultivators are already doing their best to receive their guests and you can't even show your face? There really is no hope for you! Sandu Sengshou must be a fool to have taken you in," a voice cursed from outside her room. From the fading footsteps, Mengqian figured that the person had already stormed off.

What a crazy person. Wang Shenlong? Who was such a great person that people would want to see him! And what did she say her name was again...

Jiang Ruyin? Her shimei, Jiang Ruyin? The only disciple Jiang Wanyin had taken as his own except for Jin Rulan?

At this, Mingqian jumped out of bed and checked the drawers for a mirror. Most of them were empty save for a few plain but clean clothes. When she finally found the glass, her suspicions were correct. Bright jade eyes and a small, blemish-less face, rivaling the beauties found in the royal palaces. When she was alive, Jin Mingqian had always envy Ruyin's fair, willowy features. Her beauty was always compared to that of a goddess.

And yet, how had things come to this? Why was she in her shimei's body? Was this a body sacrificing ritual? While Mingqian was grateful to be reborn, she never would have wanted it to be like this. Ruyin had always been a kind and gentle soul, and a brilliant cultivator under Jiang Cheng's guiding hand. With her temperament, who would dare bully her to the point of soul-sacrificing? The thought of it had Mingqian shaking in anger.

Quickly rolling up her sleeves, she checked her body for any self-mutilation wounds. A soul-sacrificing ritual would require a formation done in blood, yet she saw none of that here. Instead, there were talismans hung, used for guiding lost souls; the patterns were a bit different from the ones she was used to. This puzzled her even more but she remembered how the stranger from earlier had talked to her and felt indignant rage for her shimei.

'If she really did sacrifice her soul to bring me back, then I will properly avenge her,' Mengqian thought, slamming the door open, a wild and burning glint in her eyes. "And once I'm done, I'll get mine*."

But first thing's first. She had to show people that Jiang Ruyin was not someone they should mess with, and what better person than to start with than this esteemed Wang Shenlong?
(ooc: liar, you asked for this)
additional notes:
*Jin Rulan is Jin Ling's courtesy name.
*Sandu Sengshou is Jiang Cheng's title. Jiang Wanyin is his courtesy name.
*soul-sacrificing is usually done when one person sacrifices their soul to summon another soul (usually a vicious ghost) to fulfill their wishes in their body. This is usually only done out of desperate measures and is considered a diabolic and forbidden practice in the cultivating world.
*The mine in Mingqian's sentence refers to her revenge against Nie Zhelan.​

Last edited:
Niè Zhĕ Lán

It had been awhile since Zhelan last visited the Lotus Pier. After Jin Mingqian's death, the man was rarely seen outside the Unclean Realm, cultivating alone in the recesses of his home. He had built a name for himself even then, pivoting the Qishan Nie sect to new heights. His rare appearances kept him in a shroud of enigma, making everyone desperate for a glimpse.

Once a proud, arrogant cultivator in his youth, now with time, grown to someone who carries an oppressive air of indifference. His cold expression was like fine jade but power carried in his every stride.

Entering the pavilion, rows of young cultivators dressed in purple were standing at the court. When he passed by to enter the main hall, they bowed in disciplined unison, giving their respects.

"Greetings to Shenlong-Wang! YuXue-Zun!" they addressed, fists against palms. At the second name, Zhelan stopped, turning around to see an old friend---one whom he hasn't seen in years.

"Lan Yuhuan," Azure eyes widened just the slightest, breaking his usual, stoic expression as he took in the sight of his close companion. True to the Lan sect, Yuhuan was dressed in complete white. Blue clouds were etched on his sleeves and his headband. He looked as regal and gentle as the boy Zhelan knew years ago. Seeing how little he changed brought the smallest comfort.

"Zhelan," Yuhuan greeted with the same calm warmth as though years had not passed between them. They stood before each other as equals, amiability in their gaze as they savored the brief moment of understanding and appreciation.

"It seems there's lots to catch up on," Yuhuan smiled and Zhelan, for once, found himself returning it with a small one of his own.

"Indeed."

They entered the Lotus Pier main hall together, ivory besides ebony.
(ooc: exposed. also they aren't gay, I swear.)​
additional notes:
- why do I feel like there's always going to be notes
- YuXue Zun is Lan Yuhuan's title. YuXue means snow jade.​

Jīn MíngQiàn

It pissed her off to no bounds, seeing how she was dressed in the rough, thick fabrics of a commoner while her peers and juniors all wore comfortable silks. This was blatant bullying and it didn't take long for Mingqian to realize why.

Jealousy, worldly desires, greed were only the first few things they were taught to forgo upon entering the first stages of cultivation. Ruyin, Mingqian and a few handful of lucky disciples were drilled on this principle again when they were sent to Lan Qiren to be tutored. Jiang Ruyin, being the obedient sort, had took all his teachings to heart, memorizing them word for word; whereas Mingqian couldn't be bothered less by the old man's lessons. She was certain his lectures could put the mountains to sleep.

"You really are unfortunate, shimei," Mingqian thought with a bitter, heavy heart, "The heavens gave you enviable beauty but no strength to defend yourself from these jealous wretches. If I was here who would dare lift a finger against you!"

Mingqian had doted on Ruyin when she was alive, calling the girl her little sister despite being only a few months older than her.

----------- flashback collab.

"You're born in the month of the sheep! I'm born in the month of the tiger. Tigers eat sheeps so rawr! I'm going to eat you," young Mingqian would tease, playfully chasing Ruyin to bite her.

Ruyin, both afraid and entertained, would run, arguing in scared tones, "I-i don't think that's how it works, Jinmi!"

Just when Mingqian was about to grab her and sink her teeth into the girl's arm, she was yanked backward by the shoulder.

"I'm born month of the dragon. Does that mean I get to eat little tigers like you?" Zhelan spoke plainly, face poker but eyes glinting in challenge. Mingqian had to tilt her head up to look at him and she scowled when she saw it was him who had stopped her.

"I'd like to see you try!" she huffed, shoving the male back and crossing her arms over her chest indignantly. Even though she had use a lot of force in her shove, Zhelan was unaffected, moving back only a step.

"Hah, are you sure you aren't born month of the monkey? Cause you sure act like one more," Zhelan snarked.

"What did you say?!"

Thankfully Lan Yuhuan stepped in at this time, mediating between the two. "Calm down you two... Do months really matter? Aren't we all born year of the ox in the end?" His smile was strained and the look in his eyes had the Mingqian relenting. It was hard for her to stay angry at Yuhuan. She respected him and saw him more of an older brother than her actual brother.

Ruyin, who was hiding behind Yuhuan, peered up at Mingqian with big, jade eyes, "Lan-yun is right. Let's not fight anymore, `kay?" she asked, gently taking both Mingqian and Zhelan's hand in each of hers. This seemed to pacify them even greater.

Zhelan scoffed but there was no venom in the sound. His expression rounded as did Mingqian's. That was how they were in the past. Young and naive.

------------ flashback end.

Grabbing a black robe, Ruyin strode into the main hall with her head held high. The doors flew opened, alerting those already seated inside the hall. There were 4 tables set, two on either side of the room. Behind them were four different banners: the purple lotus, the yellow sparks amidst snow, the blue mist and the head of the beast. Seated at each one was a note-worthy representative from each sect; but the seat for the Jin sect was empty.

Mingqian was furious on Ruyin's behalf when she saw her *houbei sitting in the Jiang sect's seat. When Mingqian was alive, Ruyin was the next head-in-line, thus she was usually the representative sent for smaller matters*. Her appearance had clearly taken people off guard and she could feel wide eyes boring holes into her back as she stood loomingly over the Jiang sect's table.

"Leave*," she commanded coldly, with enough frost to match past Lan Wangji.
(ooc: too late. I ship it. #nielan)
additional notes // (warning: invisible scroll)
*Jinmi is Mingqian's birthname.
*Lanyun is Yuhuan's birthname.

*month of the tiger is February
*month of the dragon is April
*month of the sheep is July
*according to aster, Yuhuan is born in the month of the dog, making him the youngest.
*month of the dog is October
*but Chinese zodiacs are more dependent on the year than the months

*houbei refers to a junior or someone from a younger generation.
*patriarchs are only summoned for very important meetings, such as war discussions, etc.
*the 'leave' Mingqian uses is the English equivalence to "scram".
*also yes, the "leave" is a reference to lwj @ wwx in the novel. I hope you're happy.

Last edited:
Niè Zhĕ Lán

Given his status and his arrogance, Zhelan rarely cared for matters outside his own interest, so when another Jiang representative had came in, he merely ignored her, continuing his chat with Yuhuan. Yuhuan, however, seemed surprise by the newcomers' appearance and so, Zhelan turned to see who it was exactly that came to disturb the meeting. (Well, not quite. The meeting hasn't started yet. They were still waiting for a representative from the Jin sect and that itself was a whole other matter of interest.)

Unfortunately, the women had her back to them as the Jiang's table faced the Nie's. The man already seated in the Jiang's sect seat was none other than Cheng San-Yang, a handsome, young cultivator with a diabolic look in his eyes. Zhelan didn't like him at all. He reminded him of a snake and the male's first impressions were almost never wrong. He did find it strange how a younger cultivator was sent as representative, but circumstances were rather complicated with the Elders having gone missing for a year now. That was why they were holding a meeting in the first place.

The Gusu Lan sect still had Lan Sizhui to oversee and the Jin Sect had Jin Rulan and Jin Heilan. Nie Huaisang was technically still the elder of the Nie sect, but the Jiang sect had no one of the next generation to oversee it. Jin Rulan would occasionally come by to check, but as time stretched on and no word was heard from his uncle, he had grown restless, wanting to investigate on their whereabouts personally. Fortunately, Heilan had been there to talk the male out of the rash decision.

"Think about your duties! Who's going to look after the sect if you leave?"

"You or your blasted sister can!"

At this Heilan flinched, hurt by his cousin's careless comment. Mingqian died years ago and Jin Ling had slipped up in his anger.

Jin Ling seemed to have caught himself too, faltering in his speech, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. You know I can't stay. I have to go find him."

"Think this through, Jin Ling," Heilan went on, voice pressed in irritation, "Sandu Sengshou is more than capable of taking care of himself and he has Zewu-Zun with him too. You know they are both extremely formidable so don't jump to conclusions so rashly."

After a lot of bickering back and forth, Jin Ling had finally pacified after Heilan suggested they hold a meeting between the four major cultivating clans to decide what to do. This was the extent of what Zhelan knew on the meeting.

What he didn't know, however, was that Sanyang was as poisonous as he was good-looking, black-mailing and using all sorts of underhanded tactics to climb to the position he was in. To the world, he put on a good and benevolent facade but he was mercilessly cruel to those who opposed him. He was truly a viper nursed to one's bosom*.

"Leave," the woman had said in a stern, cold voice. At this Zhelan's interest perked. His brows raised as he watched the scene unfold behind him, both indifferent and amused, as though he was witnessing a soap opera instead of reality. Like the other sects leaders, he knew that a power struggle in the Jiang sect was inevitable. With Jiang Cheng missing, the main seat was up for grabs for anyone who was ambitious enough.

"It's Jiang Cheng's fault for never marrying," Zhelan thought, swirling the liquor in his cup idly. He couldn't help but notice that the woman's voice was awfully familiar.

Sanyang stared up at her, incredulous. What was Jiang Ruyin doing out here? Hadn't he isolated her to the corners of Lotus Pier ages ago?

"Why are you telling me to leave?" he asked, anger quaking in his voice. His question more of a matter of asking who she thought she was. He glared blatantly up at the female, knowing how weak-willing Ruyin was. "Was I not seated here first? Are you trying to make me lose face* by giving way?"

Zhelan smirked in amusement, wondering how the female was going to defend herself then. Stirring up strife in the presence of the seniors was never good for one's reputation.
(ooc: slow the fuk down pls. I literally just posted yesterday.)​
additional notes:
- viper nursed to one's bosom is a proverb similar to biting the hand which feeds you
- lose face refers to wounding one's pride. Face is used a lot in reference to pride and is considered a big thing in asian culture
- Zewu-Jun is Lan Xichen's title​

Jīn MíngQiàn

His retort had Mingqian's lips quirking into a dangerously furious smirk. Looking around the room, no one dared to speak up for her. Every disciple dressed in indigo kept silent with their heads bow, pretending not to see or hear. Disgust and disappointment was evident in her cool gaze.

It looked like her suspicions were right. Just how much disrespect did her shimei have to endure for this to be considered a norm? If this punk expected her to stay docile and accept the ridicule, her name would not be Jin Mingqian!

"When a *zhangbei gives you a command, who are you to question it? Challenging authority? Good. Very good. I had not known our Jiang Sect's principles have become tolerant to disrespect. You are becoming a shining example to all our guests," Mingqian answered, sarcasm dripping in each word. She could see the Jiang disciple's faces pale while Sanyang's face turned beet red. Never would he have expected this outcome. Wasn't Jiang Ruyin known for being gentle-spirited and easy to give way?

"You!" Sanyang stood from his seat, humiliated and angry. Despite being a head taller than her, Mingqian met his eye in challenge. Her arms crossed over her, giving off a haughty presence of power and confidence. "Jiang Ruyin, don't you think you're going too far?"

"So you do know who I am!" Mingqian clapped, clearly controlling the flow on the conversation, "That's right. I am Jiang Ruyin. Disciple and adopted daughter of Jiang Wanyin! This seat is my birthright. As for your face*, you've already tarnished it the moment you sat here," she explained, thoroughly enjoying the look of shock and horror crossing over the young man's face. She could tell that he was desperately thinking of a way to turn the tides, but it would be too merciful for her to allow that.

Mingqian went on, "Sanyang, I know you're an ambitious sort but if you want the Jiang Sect's main seat so badly, don't you think you should go through Jiang Patriarch first? No one can pluck a fruit before planting the seed and likewise," she went on, glint deadly in her verdant eyes, "I will not take kindly to thieves trying to snatch what is mine."

The presence she alluded was overbearing and there was no flaw in her argument. As for her words, her snide offenses were just the tip of the iceberg of the insults she was capable of giving. In her past life, Mingqian was known for being sharp-tongue and quick-witted. Very few were able to correct her in an fight.

Seeing how Sanyang had lost in this, the only thing he could do now was try to save his face. His anger dissipated as he forced a smile, not wanting to make himself look any worse in front of Shenlong-wang and Yuxue-Zun.

"Ruyin Dajie, I think there's a misunderstanding," Sanyang corrected, keeping his voice even despite his burning grudge, "Please don't twist my words. I would never covet your seat or question your authority. Everyone here knows who you are and how Sandu Sengshou favors you. I would not dare do such a thing," he explained, as though he had not slight her moments ago.

"It's just that you've been absent for months now, even before Sandu Sengshou left for a mission. You asked us to leave you in isolation so you can focus on your cultivation. When matters like this came, no matter how much we asked you to come, you would not show yourself so I stood in to help uphold our Jiang sect's reputation. *Sanyang asks for your forgiveness if I have offended you in the way I've spoken," Sanyang explained, craftily weaving the story in his favor.

No one could deny that Ruyin had been absent for some time, hence why Yuhuan and the other sect representatives were surprised to see her. But the truth wasn't that Ruyin had asked to be isolated but rather she was forced into it! She never had the chance, not daring to stand up against her beloved sect members.

Crafty bastard. I'll remember you for this, Mingqian thought.

"Well, I'm here now and I plan to stay. Your service is dismissed. I would not need further assistance," Mingqian answered coldly, making it very clear that she had no plans to step down.

"This houbei understands," Sanyang said with a bow, moving from his seat. Inside, he was burning with hatred and gritting his teeth at having to lower his head to her. Once the meeting was over, he'd like to see if the bitch would still dare to talk back to him! Before he could leave however, a wicked thought came to mind.

"Ruyin Dajie, considering how it's been a while since you've last made your appearance. Can you grace us with one of your famous songs? Everyone praises you for your guqin playing skills. Why not entertain our guests who've traveled a long way before the meeting starts?" Sanyang offered, commanding the servants to bring a zither over for Ruyin.

Before Mingqian could even answer, it was laid out before her and she was placed in a position where she couldn't refuse. If this had been the real Ruyin, she would've been incredibly disheartened despite her love for the guqin. When she was bullied into isolation, Sanyang had removed all of the things she loved, including her own zither. Him bringing it out to her was an unspoken threat, a reminder of how he still held her possessions in his hands. Of course, because it was Mingqian and not Ruyin, she could not have understood the implication and only took it as a trap to humiliate her in front of the guests.

"Very well," Mingqian said, eyes glancing at the dark ebony zither. It was finely polished and of high quality. Not a single string seemed out of place or tampered with.

While her expression was cool and calm, inside she was freaking out. Ruyin had been known for her mellifluous voice and her skills in guqin, so much so that she had received praise from the Lan sect's mentors, but Mingqian had not! She was hopelessly horrible with string instruments, often breaking them because of the strength she used in her plucking. After frustrating months of practice, she gave up and picked up the xiao* instead. She was decently good at that but the instrument before her wasn't a xiao but a guqin. What was she going to do?
(ooc: lol nvr, also why did u make sanyang hot, he's suppose to be a prick)
additional notes
*zhangbei refers to elder or superior
*dajie is a term used to address a woman older than you. It is the english equivalent to elder sister.
*sanyang refers to himself in third person to show respectful lowering of one's status
*xiao is an vertical flute instrument.​

Last edited:
Niè Zhĕ Lán

"When a *zhangbei gives you a command, who are you to question it? Challenging authority? Good. Very good. I had not known our Jiang Sect's principles have become tolerant to disrespect. You are becoming a shining example to all our guests."

Zhelan sniggered quietly to himself at this, finding the woman's comeback to be quite amusing. She was smart to have brought that up. Authority and obedience was a core principle in the Nie sect. If someone had questioned his authority, he would've cut that person down to size. Using that as a way to add insult was designing of her.

"Funny woman," he said, just loud enough for Yuhuan's ears, "I didn't know the Jiang sect had someone so interesting."

"Mn," Yuhuan answered, but it didn't look like he was listening. His eyes were peeled on the woman and he looked both stunned, worried and confused all rolled into one. Of course, no one but Zhelan could tell because Yuhuan's face was rather thick*. His expression was impassive but it was his eyes which gave it away.

Zhelan didn't understand why his friend looked so concerned. Not until, Sanyang announced her name and the woman---Jiang Ruyin---confirmed it in a loud declaration. If Zhelan wasn't looking at her properly, he certainly was now. The cup he was holding froze midway between his lips. He could only stare in surprise, like everyone else. His thoughts echoed everyone's in unspoken unison: What happened to the Jiang Ruyin he knew?

It was really strange. He hadn't seen her since her confession, an occurrence which took place months ago, just before her seclusion. Could someone really change this much in such a short period of time? It didn't felt as though it was Ruyin acting like someone she was not, rather it felt like a different person entirely. Zhelan frowned, just the slightest, as he set his cup back down.

Their sect's inner politics were not his concern but Ruyin was a friend he shared history with. It would not sit well with him to not come to her defense. When Sanyang pushed her to perform, Zhelan wanted to interfere, but Ruyin had already stepped up to the challenge, taking the matter into her own hands. This made him all the more sullen but he knew, just like any other, how capable Ruyin was at the guqin. It would be nice to hear her play again.

And so, he sat back and relaxed. His eyes closed, ignorant to her distress.

Lán Yǔ Huàn
蓝与涣 - present day YuXue-Zun

Yuhuan had always been a sensitive man, to both others and his own, hence why he was able to pick up on Ruyin's distress, despite the mask of modest confidence she wore. The fact that he's known her since they were children makes her even easier to read.

Picking up his cup---the only movement made by anyone in the hall---caught her attention like he had hoped. His eyes glinted as they met her jade-colored ones and after a sip, he set the cup down. His free hand tapping ever so slightly on the table's surface. When Ruyin, Zhelan, Mingqian and himself were disciples under Elder Lan Qiren, Mingqian had devised a signal code for the four of them to use, should they struggle in any tests. Of course, only Mingqian was the one who'd use them, signalling for help. Yuhuan had never cheated nor would he resort to such tactics, but he had learnt the sign language as did Ruyin and Zhelan. (Zhelan was smart. He too, didn't need to cheat and Ruyin was faint at heart, afraid of getting caught.) While they did use the signs during tests, it did come in handy when they needed to send each other secret messages. Sometimes during class, sometimes when there was trouble.

The signs Yuhuan was making were the same very signs they used when they were children and he knew Ruyin would be able to pick up on them. To outsiders, it looked like he was merely strumming his fingers to a tempo. To Ruyin, he was playing a popular chord progression for the guqin: a simple encouraging push, considering how shy the dame was. He knew he wouldn't have to guide her through the song and he had wrongly guessed that her distress was due to momentary stage fright.
(ooc: everyone I make is cursed to be pretty)​
additional notes:
- thick face in this context refers to someone who's good at hiding their emotions and/or solid poker face
- Qiren was super old, head full of white, kind of old, when he was teaching them

Last edited:
Jīn MíngQiàn

Mingqian was surprised to see a familiar face in the room. She had been so focused on bringing Sanyang down, she hadn't realized the identities of the gentlemen behind her. The sight of Yuhuan brought a wave of warm nostalgia, but the moment she saw who he was sitting next to, her face became dark with loathing and hatred.

Nie Zhelan!

After all these years, it made her bitter (and yet, relieved---she would never admit) to see that he was still as handsome and strong as he was the last time she's seen him. It brought a mixture of both comfort and disappointment to know that he was not affected by her death.

"Of course he wouldn't grieve me," she thought sadly, "Was it not his YunMie* which pierced through me?"

As much as she hated him, a part of her was still greatly attached to him. She swallowed that part down, choosing to focus on the matter at hand.

When Yuhuan's fingers started tapping idly on the table top, just the first few taps had her perking in surprise and relief. It was the sign language she had taught them years ago! Yuhuan was playing a chord progression to help her and inside, she was so happy she could sing. Even after her death, Yuhuan was still as benevolent as she remembered him to be. If there was one good thing in being here, it was definitely him.

Her expression gave no hint of her relief and with a small, calm smile, she began to play the notes she was given.

"Please don't break" she thought as she tentatively pluck the first string as gently as she could. "Heavens if you brought me back to avenge my shimei, don't let me lose face here!" Mingqian wasn't someone who prayed often, but when she did it was always in silly, dire situations like these.

Thankfully, while Mingqian may not have any skills in playing the guqin, Ruyin did. Her soul was gone but her body retained the motor skills she left. The force of her strumming was neither too harsh or too soft. To Mingqian's great relief, nothing broke. With her initial fear of breaking the guqin upon contact gone, she was able to play the melody without any problems. The chords Yuhuan showed her were easy to pick up but still soothing to listen to. When the song was over, a respectful round of applause broke through the room and Mingqian looked quite satisfied with herself.

She looked over to Yuhuan, eyes shining in gratefulness.
additional notes
*Yǔn miè (殒灭) means perish. It is the name of Zhelan's sword.

Niè Zhĕ Lán

Seeing her pleased was not what Sanyang had in mind. He wanted to press her for more, but before he could even open his mouth, Zhelan had caught his intentions and interrupted bluntly.

"We've dallied enough. Shall we start our discussion now?" he said, not wanting to give Sanyang anymore openings to target Ruyin. Albeit, he couldn't pinpoint what Sanyang planned to gain exactly by letting Ruyin play the guqin. Her playing was fine, though simple---more simple than what he was used to hearing Ruyin play. The oppression must run deeper than simple speculation.

Yuhuan smiled and relaxed, wanting to second Zhelan. While it was nice to hear Ruyin play again, their matter of discussion was quite important. They shouldn't waste any more time.

"Young master Nie! How can we start when the Jin Sect's representative hasn't came in yet? Why don't we have Jiang Guniang* play another song for us as we wait?" Sanyang suggested, this time with the intent of sabotaging her playing. There was no harm in filling idle waiting with music and it would be disrespectful to start when not all parties were present. Zhelan had forgotten this and glowered at Sanyang. Whether or not it was an accident, the overt change of titles spoke volumes of his contempt.

"Who said that the Jin's representative isn't here yet? Aren't I here now?" a voice rang from the door. A man in golden flowing robes entered, elevated from the ground as he stood on a shining sword. Of course, it was none other than Jin Heilan, Chenyang-Wang of the Lanling Jin Sect. Only he would be frivolous enough to enter a pavilion on his flying sword*.

Jumping off his blade, he snatched the hilt with his hand and sheathed the blade to his side. Heilan smiled boldly, unabashed and unapologetic, almost as though he hadn't made them wait half an hour for his arrival. Taking his seat, he greeted the officials with a nod and a simple fist to palm salute. Due to his seniority, he needn't to bow, but all those present returned his greeting with such.

Even Zhelan and Yuhuan lowered their heads respectfully to him.

"Okay, now that we're all here. Let's get started! Shall we have the extras move out? *Three monks have no water to drink," Heilan spoke lightly and while his words were a suggestion, his tone issued out a command. The rest of the disciples left, including a very angry Sanyang until all that was left was Jiang Ruyin, Nie Zhelan, Lan Yuhuan and himself.

Being the older brother to Jin Mingqian, Heilan was familiar with the three in the room. He had watched them grow up like he had his sister and seeing them again made him both nostalgic and wistful. While he had kept in light contact with Zhelan and Yuhuan, Heilan had failed to check up on Ruyin, not having developed a close relationship with her in the past because of her shyness. He was also the flirtatious sort and thus, couldn't help but tease her every time he saw her. In the past, Mingqian would always defend Ruyin when he teased her, and so he never saw the Jiang maiden as anything more than a younger sister. His heart was already taken by another*.

His visits were already less frequent but after the death of his sister, Heilan had stopped visiting altogether. A part of him felt guilty for failing to keep in touch. He knew she grieved Mingqian just as much as anyone did.

"It's good to see that you're doing well," Heilan said to her. News of her seclusion had reached even the Jin Sect and yet he still hadn't came down to visit. Knowing this made him feel ashamed, but he was relieved to see her healthy and in good spirits.
(ooc: this ended up being more of a Heilan post than a Zhelan post, oops)
additional notes // (warning: invisible scroll)
- Guniang means maiden. Sanyang is addressing Ruyin as Jiang Maiden. Guniang is a general term for lady, but the title carries no weight as it can even be used to address female servants. The fact that Ruyin has a title, and yet Sanyang chose not to address her as it, meant he was looking down on her greatly.

- Flying swords are an important spiritual weapon that are not to be taken casually. The fact that Heilan chose to fly into the room instead of walk, showed how lightly he takes things. (Well, not really. He understands the value of spiritual weapons but he enjoys flying too much to give a rat's ass.)

- Three monks have no water to drink is a Chinese proverb. It's the equivalent to "Too many cooks spoil the broth."

- Heilan is in love with diphylleia grayi's OC, Nie Yixin.

Jīn MíngQiàn

There was a gentleness in Heilan's words which made Mingqian's heart ache. She had already felt very nostalgic seeing Yuhuan and Zhelan again but seeing her older brother brought a prickly heat to the back of her eyes. If she was any weaker, she would've cried there and then.

"Gege*," she murmured, standing there when he entered the room, eyes wide and shocked. What wouldn't she give to just run to his arms and tell him that it was her! He had grown older (LOL SORRY HEILAN). There were smile lines on his face and his dark hair was no longer a perfect shade of night, but instead tinted with streaks of silver. He was still tall and healthy looking. Age did not touch cultivators the way they do normal mortals. He looked like someone in his late twenties, despite being much older than such.

Her salute was late but she sat down with the rest, eyes staring at Heilan even when he spoke to her.

"The same to you," she answered, a weight in her words. He'd never be able to know how much she missed him. How much she missed everyone. How much she missed being alive.

She tore her gaze away, unable to look at him without getting emotional. She was just so glad and relieved to see everyone alive and doing well, and yet that happiness came at the price of her shimei's soul. Mingqian still had to figure out what had happened to it and where it could have gone. The thought of Ruyin's soul being missing made her somber. She waited quietly for the others to bring up the subject of discussion but it seemed everyone was waiting for her to speak. As the host, it made sense for her to open, but she had no idea why they were gathered in the first place. All she could do was sit there, drawing blanks.
(ooc: it's okay I love him too but watch me confuse Zhelan and Heilan in 10 secs flat)​
additional notes
*I love how additional notes is now a staple in our posts
*Gege means older brother
*Cultivators are on the path of immortality so naturally they age a lot slower than mortals. If they succeed, they can become immortal but only 3 people have succeeded in doing that so far.

Jīn Hēi Lán
金黑兰 - ChenYang-Wang of the Jin Sect

"Gege?" Heilan is taken off guard. The hand behind his neck freezes as does the rest of his body. Sure, he's seen Jiang Ruyin as a younger sister but the only person who's ever called him brother was Mingqian. The term of endearment is heavily nostalgic and his shock fades into a small, gentle smile. There's melancholy in his eyes as he pats Ruyin's head. He doesn't understand why she suddenly started calling him Ge, but he isn't against the thought. It brings him the slightest comfort, a faint memory of Jinmi.

"Ah, yes. You can call me Gege. I'm everyone's Da Ge here," Heilan says with easy-going laughter. It dispels the initial awkwardness and when they're finally about to start on their discussion, a silence falls on them.

Zhelan clears his throat to start the discussion, seeing that Ruyin wasn't going to.

"ChenYang-Wang, the fact that you're here means that Senior Rulan is currently holding down fort at the Jin Sect. As you know, Elder Jiang has gone missing after investigating the case at Guangyin Temple, leaving no Senior to oversee the Jiang Sect," Zhelan stated.

"When communications with him was lost Elder Lan personally went to investigate the matter but we have received no word from either of them since," Yuhuan added, "Senior Sizhui is currently managing the Lan Sect as we speak."

Heilan nodded, sharing their concerns. He had already known this to be true and rumors told him that the situation at Lotus Pier was unstable. After seeing Sanyang, it wasn't hard to piece one and one together. Someone as weak-willed as Ruyin and ambitious as Sanyang are bound to butt heads, regarding leadership, but the issue with the missing Elders was an even troubling issue.

"It has been nearly a year now since their disappearance. The Nie Sect wishes to investigate out of good will to the Lan Sect who uncovered the truth behind ChiFeng-Zun's death," Zhelan explained, justifying why he was here.

It was needless for Yuhuan to explain his purpose. With Zewu-Zun gone, it was natural for the Lan Sect to want to search for him. Heilan listened carefully and considered their words. He was only there as a replacement for Jin Ling, but he couldn't help but feel like it would've been more appropriate for his cousin to have came, being a nephew to the Jiang Sect Leader. The only reason why he didn't was because Jin Ling was too rash and he would've definitely rushed to search for Jiang Cheng when the topic was brought up.

Heilan couldn't help but sigh at this. Why must everything be so troublesome?

All eyes fell on Ruyin. Since this stemmed mostly from the Jiang Sect, it is only fair they listen to her input as well.
(ooc: here's an actual Heilan post)​
additional notes
- Da Ge means Big Bro.
- Chi-Feng Zun is Nie Mingjue's title.

Jīn MíngQiàn

Mingqian hadn't expected to be heard but the fact that she was had her mortified, if not blushing a brilliant crimson in both shame and pleasure. He covers up her mistake with light-hearted jabs. She silently thanks him for such and mentally scolds herself in reminder: This is Ruyin's body, Jin Mingqian! You've already died. Let them move on.

Let them move on.

Somehow, those words don't sit right with her and she isn't selfless enough to allow that. She's alive and she's here and she doesn't want to be forgotten, doesn't want to become a memory. There is still so much she wants to do, so much she had yet to experience. Her life had been robbed from her, taken from the hands she gave her heart to, taken and---

And,

And nothing.

Life was unfair. It had to move on.

The situation is stated clear and precise, without implication or hidden meanings. Sandu Sengshou was missing and someone needed to watch over the Jiang Sect clan. Ruyin was bullied into isolation hence why the other sects decided to step in to aid. But now that "Ruyin" was back, circumstances have changed---rather drastically too. They were looking to her to see what she wanted to do. Would she step down or would she aid in the search? Naturally, Mingqian wanted to do both but after her encounter with Sanyang, the latter option was more appealing. When she was alive, she was never too fond of the ever strict and grouchy Jiang Sect Leader. Why should she have to go look for him? She still had to find out what happened to Ruyin's soul and get proper revenge on her behalf.

"Quhua Liang* respects your decisions. It seems my seclusion has troubled the other sects. I apologize for my disappearance but now I am present to take full responsibility of the Jiang Sect," Mingqian said, lowering her head in a short salute. With a smile that's more Ruyin than Mingqian, she adds softly, "It is what Sandu Sengshou would've wanted of me."
additional notes
*Quhua Liang is her title. She's referring to herself in third person to show humbling.

Niè Zhĕ Lán

"Confidence looks good on her," Zhelan thought, reminded of the last time he saw her. She had been red-faced and stuttering, confessing a truth which she bottled and nurtured for years and years. It was a sympathy he couldn't return and she knew of rejection before he could even speak it. The thought of their last meeting was a sad, almost bitter memory. He had never intended to make her cry, never intended to make anyone cry for that matter. But things were what they were and when she promised him to move on, he was glad to see that she had fulfilled it.

Yuhuan and Heilan were also pleased with her answer. Naturally, they assumed she was planning to take control of the Yunmeng Jiang Sect until Elder Wanyin was found so they went on with discussing on who to send and the details of Jiang Cheng's whereabouts.

"He was last seen near the base of Burial Mounds. If you're going to investigate there, see if you can find Elder Wei Wuxian. He's sworn brothers with Elder Wanyin and would most likely aid you in your search," Heilan advised, having a great respect for the ex-Yiling Patriarch. Wei Wuxian had long denounced himself of that title after his marriage with HanGuang-Jun; albeit he's still known to dabble in the dark arts.

Zhelan took Heilan's advice to heart. Having another Elder help would increase their chances of finding Jiang Cheng greatly.

Lán Yǔ Huàn

While Yuhuan was glad to see that Ruyin was standing up for herself, he worried to leave her alone in the Jiang Sect to fend for herself. (Silly boy already has though.) With her standing in the Head seat, there are bound to be people who would question her authority and try to usurp her. People like Sanyang were a prime example.

But he couldn't outright state that he was not going on the search just because he worried for her well-being. While his feelings for her ran deep, they were never thrown out in the open. He knew she had eyes for another and thus harbored his own selfishness to himself. As a Gusu Lan disciple, he ought to put the matters of his clan first. His duties were important but denying the heart was never something easy to swallow.

So he sat in quiet thoughtfulness as his feelings conflicted within his mind. His face betrayed no such turmoil but there was a shift in his aura which very few could pick up. Zhelan, unfortunately, was one of them.

"With no word of offense, would QuHua-Liang really be alright managing the Jiang Sect by herself?" Zhelan asked, bringing up the matter Yuhuan was unable to say, "You have been in seclusion for quite some time. If you need aid, the Nie sect is welcome to provide it."

Last edited:
Jīn MíngQiàn

Zhelan's words made Mingqian's lips curl in a snarl, though on someone who looks as angelic as Ruyin, it seemed more like a smile than disgust.

"I would gladly look to the Nie sect for aid," Mingqian thought to herself, "If it weren't for the likes of Nie Zhelan. I'd sooner roll over and die than accept his 'help'."

She perked at the mention of Wei Wuxian, the infamous Yiling Patriarch who paved a road for demonic cultivation. While it was still taboo to practice dark arts, the powers it promises reaped great benefits at the price of an even higher cost. She's heard stories of how he fought at the Sunshot Campaign, when the Wen Sect's tyranny was still oppressing the land. Tens of thousands of zombies moved at his beck and call, killing man and demon alike. She's heard about how the practice of dark arts destroyed him, but also how one of his forbidden techniques had allowed him to be transmigrated back into the body of Mo XuanYu.

He's brought the dead to life time and time again, the Ghost General Wen Ning being a prime example. If anyone knew anything about reincarnation, wouldn't it be him? He'd definitely know what had happened to Ruyin's soul! The opportunity was too good to pass up, but Mingqian couldn't swallow the words she just coughed up. That would hurt her face*.

Thankfully, Zhelan (however hateful he may be) had provided her with the perfect opportunity to salvage her initial comment. She looked pensive for a moment, as though deeply considering the man's words before nodding slowly.

"Nie Gongzi* makes a good point," Mingqian said, failing to see the shred of surprise Yuhuan's eyes but catching the shared looks he shared with Zhelan. To an outsider, they may not even notice the inner dialogue they share with just a look (gay), but Mingqian had grown up with them, thus she knew their thoughts even with their thick faces. It made her wonder if she had said something wrong. She didn't know that Zhelan had a title because she wasn't present when they were greeting the two. How could she have known that the esteemed 'Shenlong-Wang' was none other than Zhelan himself?

She had wanted to put on airs in front of the man everyone kept boasting about, but that had been a second priority to this. If she had known, would she not gladly kill two birds with one stone? (Mingqian was truly as shameless as Zhelan was arrogant; the two were water and oil when they were younger.) When she does learn of this, she will look back at this event and laugh. Everything was unintentional... for now.

"Quhua Liang fears she may need some guidance. Perhaps Elder Rulan can manage the Lotus Pier for a few months to stabilize the situation. Will the Lanling Jin Sect support the Yunmeng Jiang Sect?" Mingqian asked, saluting to Heilan in petition. Jin Rulan's mother was Jiang Yanli, so despite being the Elder for the Jin Sect, he did have some power in the Jiang Sect as well.
additional notes
*hurt her face as in wound her pride; saying one thing and then doing another is like a slap to the face.
*Gongzi is a title of nobility but it is ranked lower than a personal given title, thus it is considered rude.
*The fact that Zhelan is also the current Head of the Nie Sect clan just adds salt to the wound. In this case Nie Zhanglao would've been more appropriate.
*Zhanglao means elder but it's used as "Head" or "Leader" in this context.

Niè Zhĕ Lán

To say that Zhelan was surprised would be an understatement.

Ruyin was the last person he'd have expected insult from, not because she was known for being respectful and courteous, but because there was no one who dared to slight Zhelan given his temperament. There were others before who felt provoked by the prideful airs he puts on, but time and time again, he has met them head on in challenge, beating down their envy with sheer power and guile, until none dared to get on his bad side. But because Jiang Ruyin was Jiang Ruyin, someone who shared history with him as Mingqian's shimei, the surprise he felt did not lead to anger. Instead, he merely shrugged it off like water off wax.

Perhaps this was her way of getting back at him, Zhelan thought. The last time they met was bittersweet. Even when faced with rejection, she had taken it with grace and wished Zhelan well with the promise of cutting off any hindering feelings. If her respect for him was tied to her feelings, then so be it. It stung him to lose a friend, but he knew that she had summoned a tremendous amount of courage to tell him her feelings. Neither parties were in the wrong, but a part of him still felt responsible to take the hurt she had to throw at him.

He kept his face impassive and ignored the questioning look in Yuhuan's eyes. He'd have to explain to him later.

Heilan, however, being an elder couldn't just bear to see his junior take a slap nor Ruyin fight a tiger (even if the tiger did not bite back now, it does not mean it didn't have fangs). If word got out, Ruyin would be met with heavy criticism from others and thus he felt the need to speak up.

"I will express your concerns to *Jin Ling. You will get your reply in three day's time," Heilan answered. Three days was not enough time to travel back and forth between the Sects on foot, but Heilan had no intention of walking all the way back anyways.
(ooc: stop trying to ship #nielan they! aren't!! gay!!!)​
additional notes
- Heilan is close enough to Rulan to use his birth name, Jin Ling.

Jīn MíngQiàn

"Quhua-Liang thanks ChenYang-Wang for his assistance. Your grace will not go unforgotten," Mingqian answered in reply. She lowered her head when Heilan rebuked her choice of titles. His words were spoken casually but there was a hidden bite in his words which made her cheeks redden in supposed shame. Who would've known that she wasn't blushing because she was embarrassed but rather because she was furious! To think that Wang Shenlong was actually Zhelan had her biting back a scornful smile, thus she ducked her head to hide her expression.

A dragon title. Did they not know that a dragon was usually coupled with a phoenix? Mingqian was conferred that exact title, Fenghuang, when she was alive. She couldn't tell if he had chosen it because he missed her or to mock her! Given her hatred for him, it was natural for her to assume to latter but a small part of her hoped it was the former. As much as she wanted to deny it, she still cared for him but the wounds she carried were far too deep for her to overlook his sins.

Bitterly she apologized, "This young one knows her mistake."

The topic was quickly changed. Mingqian needed to strike while the iron was hot and the three ambassadors seemed to be concluding the meeting soon.

"ChenYang-Wang, I have another suggestion to make. When Senior Rulan comes, I trust that he would want to send a representative from the Jin clan to aid in the search for Sandu Sengshou as well. If that's the case, why not send me?" Mingqian asked, knowing she was making a gamble.

Heilan looked surprised at her suggestion, "Why do you say this? Did you not want my cousin to come manage the Jiang Sect so that you would have guidance?"

Mingqian grinded her teeth at this, putting on a troubled look. She had to explain carefully if she wanted things to go her way.

"Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn, Senior Jin, but I share the same worries as Elder Cousin Rulan. Regarding Sandu Sengshou's disappearance, how can I not feel anxious to find him as well? Even though the Jiang Sect is my responsibility, I have failed terribly to the point where even my juniors dare to upstage me," Mingqian said, drawing sympathy by speaking softly.

"Of course, I want to make amends and I understand I am putting a burden on Elder Cousin Rulan by asking him to stand in for me, but offering to go search is the least I can do to pay back what him and Father* has done for me. Just give me three months. In these three months if I am unable to find him, I will surely come back and manage the Jiang Sect like I should," Mingqian promised, silently praying Heilan would approve. If not, she feared she may have just shot herself in the foot. Mingqian had never been one to care for face* but she was aware that she was in Ruyin's body. She doted on her shimei and would never want to give her a bad reputation.
(ooc: shit I actually forgot to reply to this)​
additional notes
*Fenghuang means Phoenix and Shenlong means Dragon
*Mingqian slowly starts using more personal titles as she's trying to persuade Heilan
*The use of familial titles instead of ranking titles is to remind him that she is Jiang Cheng's adopted child
*hence why she refers to Jin Ling as "elder cousin"
*she calls Heilan Ge again to curry favor, I have a hc that he secretly likes being called that

Niè Zhĕ Lán

Hearing Ruyin's explanation, there was no real reason for Heilan to refute. He only found it strange how she backtracked so quickly going from wanting to stay to wanting to go in a blink of an eye. This sort of fickleness was not common, but Heilan was also Mingqian's older brother. She was the most fickle person he's ever known, so naturally, this kind of behavior did not come as a shock but rather as something familiar. He shrugged the matter off. Whether or not she stayed or went wasn't something he could dictate and he did agree that it may ease Jin Ling's mind to have more hands looking for the missing Elders.

"I'll bring this matter up to Jin Ling. On behalf of the Jin Sect, thank you for helping us search for Sandu Sengshou," Heilan said, getting up this time to leave. Unlike Zhelan and Yuhuan who were staying for over as guests, Heilan wanted to drop by the Nie Sect before he returned to the Koi Tower. He made his leave known and again promised Ruyin that she'd get a reply within three days.

"I'll be off then. I wish you the best on your search," he said, nodding to the three of them.

"I'll ask the Nie Sect to prepare for your stay. I've already informed them of your arrival," Zhelan said, a knowing twinkle in his eye. Yixin was one of the Nie Sect's seniors and with Zhelan as the acting head, how could he not have known? Heilan looked surprised for a moment but then laughed and patted his arm.

"Very well! Take care," Heilan grinned, hopping on his flying sword. In a flash he was gone.

While Zhelan watched Heilan depart, Yuhuan did not miss the look of longing in Ruyin's eyes as her gaze also followed Heilan. He also remembered her referring to him as older brother earlier and wondered when had their relationship had grown so close. Burying this questions in his heart, he could only smile gently.

"This one thanks Quhua Liang for her hospitality. If it's not too much of an inconvenience, I will stay here until word returns from Senior Jin. Regardless of his decision, I have already decided to join Zhelan in the search for Sandu Sengshou," Yuhuan said.

Naturally, the same could be said for Zhelan. It would take a week's travel to return back to the Nie Sect by horse and foot. Like Yuhuan, he was already prepared to stay and depart from Lotus Pier. What Yuhuan was doing was just going through with the motions of courtesy. The man really was too polite sometimes.

Jīn MíngQiàn

Mingqian perked at the mention of Heilan staying at the Unclean Realm, catching the inner dialogue shared between her brother and Zhelan, but not understanding the context. Was there a reason for Heilan to be there? She still hadn't known that he had gotten together with his childhood sweetheart so she wondered why he would possibly go there.

Going into the lion's den, she thought, Brother, did you forget your sister died at their hands?

The thought made her angry but she knew she couldn't pin the actions of one man on a whole sect. She just hated how he's the one representing it now. If she was still in her body, she would scoff aloud but appearances still need to be kept, especially infront of these two.

Yuhuan's words make her think. Of course, they'd be staying over. Just because Heilan wasn't, it didn't mean that the others would leave. She needed to be hospital and thus released Yuhuan of his courtesies.

"It's fine. Let's not talk as if we're strangers. The day is still young and it's been a while since you've last visited. Shall I bring you around?" Mingqian offers, for better or worse, ignoring Zhelan. It isn't quite clear to them if she was doing it intentionally.
(ooc: you still know how to reply!)​

Lán Yǔ Huàn

There was no reason for Yuhuan to reject, but like Zhelan, not even he could deny that there was a cool edge to Ruyin's words; one which was not directed at him, but rather his companion beside him. It made him curious. Zhelan had always been a topic of interest among many in the cultivating world and Ruyin was no different. For her attitude towards him to change was peculiar but the changes weren't so drastic that Yuhuan could touch on. If anything, he doubted his intuition, hoping that he was just imagining things.

Zhelan knew better than to hope. While Ruyin didn't say it directly, it seemed clear to him that she wanted nothing to do with him. The least he could do was respect her wishes.

"That'll be nice. I'll take you up on your offer," Yuhuan smiled in reply. Zhelan on the other hand, excused himself.

"I'll be retiring for the day," his eyes skimmed around until it landed on a nearby cultivator. He gestured him over with a glance, "You there. You can show me to my room. I'll see you two at dinner," Zhelan said with a polite nod towards Yuhuan at Ruyin. With a flick of his sleeve, he was gone, following the servant to where he was to stay for the night.

Yuhuan watched as Zhelan left, the questions he wanted to ask died on his lips as he surrendered them in a soft sigh. He smiled apologetically at Ruyin who stood looking impassive at the male's exit.

"Lead the way, A-Yin."
(ooc: im a slug rmbr)​
additional notes
- The A- infront of Ruyin's birth name is a term of endearment.

Last edited:
Jīn MíngQiàn

With Zhelan gone, Mingqian relaxed and she couldn't help but smile. It had been years since she's last seen Yuhuan and even though she wasn't A-yin, she felt the warmth all the same.

"Yun-er, it's really nice to see you again," Mingqian said, walking close to him with her hands folded behind her back. It was a very Mingqian-way of walking. Her posture was casual and lax, unlike the graceful movements of Ruyin.

"How have you been? Is it still dull up at the Cloud Recess? That's why you came down to look for Uncle Jiang, isn't it?" Mingqian mused, going so far as to speak like herself. There was something about Yuhuan which made anyone feel comfortable with him and Mingqian had done just that, going as far as to forgetting that she was still in Ruyin's body. She missed the flicker of surprise in Yuhuan's eyes and went on, rambling as she walked him around Lotus Pier.

In truth, it's been a while since she's been here too so she was also doing some sight-seeing along with the Lan senior. They came to a familiar pavilion, somewhere nearby the training ground. It overlooked a lake and there were seats and a stone table at the center, perfect for playing chess or simply to have a picnic while admiring the view. The place sparked a memory in Mingqian and her eyes lit up in remembrance.

"Ah! Lan Yun, look there! Do you remember this place?" Mingqian giggled, running over into the shade of the gazebo. Her arms spread out towards the view. The lotus were in full bloom, rocking gently in the water's ripples. "We used to sing here as kids."
(ooc: more like a fossilized slug)​

Lán Yǔ Huàn
蓝与涣 - present day YuXue-Jun

Dull? Uncle Jiang? Hearing such words come out from Ruyin's mouth was puzzling and now even Yuhuan had room to share the same doubts Sanyang had. He didn't want to doubt her, but there was a persistent tugging in his gut which told him something was off; the feeling was promptly ignored when he saw her smile.

"I remember," Yuhuan answered.

--- flashback.

Fifteen years ago, the Jiang Sect had held a singing and music competition, inspired by the Gusu Lan sect. Most of the first place musicians hailed from Gusu, granted that music was their specialty when it came to cultivation methods, but in terms of vocals, Ruyin was known to have one of the sweetest sounding voices. There were few who could challenge her in vocally and like other cultivators, Yuhuan had been curious to meet the infamous Jiang songbird.

He had taken his place in the competition as a guqin player. His playing had unknowingly sparked an interest in the babe to learn the instrument. Despite her shy disposition she had been inspired enough (or well, pressured enough) to step forward and talk to him under the urging of her friend: a bright-eyed ravenhead who went by the name of Mingqian.

Yuhuan remembered her as well. Her brother was known for being the best in male vocals among his generation, but Yuhuan had not remembered seeing the babe in the singing section. He found out later that she had not joined at all, despite her brother and best friend being top contestants in the competition. Fortunately, Yuhuan had enough sense not to ask, feeling that it would be rude to do so, especially since he was just newly acquainted with the Jin Sect disciple. However, this did not mean others felt the same way...

It wasn't long until a few brave and gossipy individuals began to sneer and jeer ugly taunts at Mingqian's direction. One girl in particular going by the name of Yihua had said loudly, with every intention to spite, "Wah, Heilan Shixiong's voice is like honey on a creek, but what about his sister's? I heard she can't sing nor does she play any instruments. Is she really cut from the same tree as him?" Yihua giggled from behind her sleeve, "If it were me, I wouldn't have the courage to even show my face at this event."

Yuhuan could not understand the reasoning behind such behavior but he wasn't so much a fool to be unable to detect the malice. Hearing such words had him frowning. He shook his head in a sigh. Yihua had only said this because she, like many others, was jealous of Mingqian's close relationship with Zhelan. Seeing things like this happen convinced Yuhuan that jealousy was truly, a terrifying thing.
(ooc: im doing my best ;;;; )​
additional notes
- shixiong means senior
- because Ruyin is adopted by Jiang Cheng, her using the term "uncle" is strange

Last edited:
Jīn MíngQiàn
金明倩 - present day Jin Sect Cultivator

Young, fifteen-year-old Mingqian did not have the same cunning and tact as twenty-nine year old Mingqian, but she was just as fiery and just as bold. Hearing Yihua's words, she stomped her feet and called out boldly,

"What did you say? I dare you to say that to my face! Who said I can't sing?" Mingqian challenged, meeting eye to eye with the female cultivator. She glared in full. Her intensity had Yihua shrinking back but her small band of followers supported her from behind.

"I never said you can't sing," Yihua lied, unable to meet Mingqian's eye, yet still she spoke with haughty arrogance, "I was just saying how it's a waste for you to be here even though you aren't participating."

"What does me not participating have to do with me being unable to sing? Sun Yihua, don't you try to take me for a fool! I will not let anyone slander me so brazenly," Mingqian said fiercely, looking around at the small crowd that gathered at the scene, "Are you saying that it's wrong for one to spectate? I'm here to support my friend. There are many here today here to watch as well." She gestured around, raising a brow.

"You say you can sing and yet you aren't participating. If it's like this, are you trying to imply that you're too good for the competition then?" Yihua said, changing the topic.

"This is something you've thought of yourself. Whether I join or not, since when is it ever any of your business?" Mingqian replied cooly. It was clearly a losing battle and Yihua's face was turning red with anger and shame.

"Jin Mingqian! If you can sing, why don't you prove it to us right now? No one here has ever heard you sing before and I'm sure everyone is curious, right?" Yihua looked at the people around. They nodded in curiosity.

"Damn, this girl. When someone's talking about A, she'd go and talk about C*. She really has no brain," Mingqian thought angrily to herself. She wasn't someone to back down though, especially after seeing everyone agree with Yihua.

"Fine," she said, sweeping her sleeves back. "Someone play an accompaniment for me then. Is anyone willing?" Mingqian looked around until her coal eyes landed on someone dressed completely in white. A guqin hung from behind his back.
additional notes
- this is a saying to talk about someone who is unable to address issues directly, choosing instead to jump subjects to avoid the problem

Last edited:
Lán Yǔ Huàn
蓝与涣 - present day Gusu Lan cultivator

There was determination in those coal, jet eyes. It stirred Yuhuan, who was usually tranquil like the surface of a clear pool, to action.

"I'll play," Yuhuan said, surprising those around him. Out of everyone, he was the last one they'd expected to get involved. Because of his skills in guqin and his serene appearance, the Gusu Lan disciple was quite known and everyone made way, crowding in curiosity to see what he'd play. They all knew he had won first place with his playing. To have him play again would be a pleasant encore. Even if Mingqian's voice wasn't good, Yuhuan's playing would make up for it.

Yuhuan strum a few chords, setting a key which he felt would work best with Mingqian's voice range. Slowly, he began to play. His music attracting those from nearby to come and spectate, including a unsuspecting male doned completely in black...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back