• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Reclaiming the Kingdom [1x1 w/ Orikanyo]

The familiar music of the bards were a welcome balm on her tired shoulders as Gwen slunk into the tavern, legs heavy and covered in sweat and a bit of blood (not hers, thankfully). As she sunk into one of the empty chairs, a familiar barmaid approached her.

"Long day I take it, Miss Gwen?" the woman greeted, already having a tankard of whiskey in her hands to give to the woman. Gwen looked up at her gratefully as she grabbed the tankard and took one long swig. Grimacing as it burned down her throat, she felt some of the tension ease from her shoulders as she let herself enjoy the sounds of the tavern.

"Thank you, Ada," the mercenary spoke. "This is why you're my favorite." The woman laughed at the praise, refilling her tankard as she said so and Gwen gave her a few copper coins as an extra tip. She was being generous today, after all, she had just gotten paid. Gwen had only been there for five days, but she already knew the names of the owners and workers here at the Iron Wheel Tavern. It was a nice place, and the woman who ran it was accommodating and friendly. The ale wasn't the best, but if Gwen could get drunk off of it, she hardly cared.

"I take it you've been busy, Miss Gwen?" Ada spoke, leaning against the wooden table casually as she eyed the other patrons around the tavern.

Gwen sighed. Busy was an understatement. "There are many who seek the aid of a sword arm during such times," she spoke, her voice just a tad bitter. "The money is good though."

The barmaid smiled, "I bet. Now, if you'll excuse me." And with that, the woman was off to stop two drunken men from lunging at each other with their swords. Again.

Gwen watched the men from the corner of her eyes. If they caused too much trouble for the workers, she'd get involved herself, but for now, she just wanted to drown herself in a good drink and sleep the night away. She took another swig of whiskey, enjoying the buzz that was beginning to give her a pleasant feeling. This was her first drink in days, and Gwen would be damned if she didn't enjoy every last sip.

The war was raging in the kingdom, and the usurper's army was making a mess of the towns and trading posts along the way to the city's capital. As a result, the number of those who needed to hire a mercenary to protect their home or land was increasing. Gwen's job was in high demand right now, she was making a good amount of coin off of it. And while she was always able to appreciate some good coin when she saw it, she also wished there were time for other pursuits.

Like alcohol, she thought as she finished what would likely be the first of many drinks tonight.

"...I stick out like a sore thumb..." Lorian spoke softly to himself, pulling the cloak further over his head to further his presence of "do not talk to me." This of course was ignored by the bar maid, who with a mixture of being on a roll with her work and being a good bit thick headed, repeatedly asked if he'd like food or something to wet his throat. To which he declined, due to his personal struggles and he already tried the meat they served here... it was, to say the least, burnt to charcoal.

What i need are warriors, strong and most of all, can handle being in a long campaign. I can't throw my name around to much or it'll arise suspicion, but if i don't people would just wave me off... Perhaps I can contact them upfront, offer them payment for services and keep it anonymous? It is for the best... hopefully they aren't to bright, but bright enough to follow orders.

He laid his thoughts to rest and began his scanning gaze of the tavern's customers, many looked brutish enough, some even gave him strange looks now and then but he showed no sign of waving as he selected out three possible individuals, one would be coming with him today come hell or high water, now to examine them further... The first was a big burly bearded man, he was drunk off his rocker and shouting a story of him and a mermaid having a rowdy night... he was strong, but something tells him that this man would sooner "jump ship" if things got to bad... also his loud mouth would attract suspicion and unwanted eyes to him... that was a failure.

The third was a woman, she looked more like a theif then a mercenary but the little sign she had up front said something about taking any job with a price range below... She was currently sleeping off one of the over cooked meals but her sign told easily what she was. The jobs ranged from the simple to the unsavory... and into the carnal but she seems to be on to sadistic branch of such matters... Not that Lorian was thinking of employing her for such matters, theres a time and place, and he definitely is not fond of such matters listed on the sign... Looking to the woman he spotted her gaze on him, to which he immediately with drew his eyes and looked elsewhere, a small laugh was heard from the woman but she fell silent again.

Then there was the third, she just had come back from a battle of sorts, she looked.. dependable, strong, and seemed to be cut of the same stock of folk his late or maybe not late but presumed dead fiance... Well... she seemed the best of the three, hopefully shed be the middle ground of the other two instead of being crazy... Would that woman stop staring already...

Standing up from his seat abruptly he walked over to the woman at the counter, he mused to himself the memories of a story he read, a tale of a hero finding companions to go hunt down a dragon that has been terrorizing a country side... But this time, less of a dragon, more of a foreign warlord.

"Excuse me, could I speak to you for but a moment, I have a job if you are interested."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back