• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Rebirth of Civilization (Interest Check)

Redfork2000

The Red One
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Hello everyone, and welcome to my first interest check!

What's going on?

About a thousand years ago, this land used to be a magical and colorful land with fairies, dragons and all kinds of mystical creatures. It was medieval age, and the land was a lot like your average medieval fantasy kingdom. Mages would study magic and learn to use its abilities to achieve all kind of things, from healing the ill to taming dragons. Kings would rule the lands. Some were good, some weren't as good.

A few centuries later, around the late 1800's and early 1900's, this magical land entered an technologic revolution era, much like our world. With the advancement of science, magic was no longer the only solution to humanity's problems. Science and technology offered a new way of solving problems, and as the years went by, there were many differences between people. Some warned that technology would end up taking over the world someday, would destroy nature, and believed that magic should be the main source of solutions for humanity. However, others differed, explaining how this new era of science and technology would benefit human kind in a way magic never did. They argued that the power of machines would make human life much more simple, and soon, mages would become obsolete. Then were others who had a neutral point of view, and didn't really care which was better than the other.

Technology continued to progress until the end of the twenty-first century. It was then that humanity was facing a problem that neither magic nor technology knew how to solve. War had always been a part of human history, but it was now that humanity realized that no amount of magic or technology was able to prevent wars from happening. In fact, both of them only caused wars to become even more destructive. At the ending of the twenty-first century, a terrible war happened world-wide. The conflict ended in a nuclear war that devastated the entire planet, destroying civilization as we know it, extinguishing many species from the planet, and overall, leaving the planet in ruins. Out of the entire population, only about 5% of them survived this disaster, some thanks to magic, and others thanks to technology.

Now it's 2215. It's been over a century since the conflict, and the planet is still in ruins. The consequences of the war have brought the world into a new Dark Age. Civilization is slowly starting to grow again from the ashes of what was left behind from the war, but it's a slow process. However, things are starting to look promising. Those who favored magic and those who favored technology have now decided to join forces to help the world recover. Just when everything is starting to look better for the world, someone has to show up to mess things up.

The general anarchy the world fell into after the events of the war has lasted some time. Different governments has rised into power and been overthrown. However, someone took advantage of the anarchy to proclaim himself as a global dictator. A militaristic roboticist has rised up to power, and together with his wife, they have taken control over whatever has been able to bloom after the war. This dictator doesn't care if the world will recover or not. He's ruling the world with an iron fist, and using his power to keep the entire population from growing strong enough to face him. He would rather not have civilization recover if it means having absolute power.

Now, you may be asking yourself, what does any of this have to do with you? Well, my friend, you will roleplay one of the few people that have decided to form a resistance team who plan to overthrow this dictator. You will join several other brave souls who have decided to rebel against this dictator who is currently preventing the world from ever recovering. It won't be an easy mission, though. This dictator controls a force to be reckoned with. Are you ready to fight to save the world, and help the rebirth of civilization?

How will the RP work?

Ok, first of all, here's a main detail of the RP: Although it will contain stats such as health, strength, defense and other stats you'd find in a dice RP, this RP will not use dice. I plan to use a different combat system. Yes, characters will still have stats like in most dice RPs, but things will be a bit different. I'm choosing to use a slightly different system than the traditional one. It's simple to understand though, so I hope that won't be a problem.

Anyway, the roleplay will be divided into chapters. Every chapter will take place in a new location, will progress the story further, and at the end of each chapter you will fight a sort of "boss". Furthermore, the main play of the RP will be divided in three sections I'll explain briefly:

-Cutscene: This section involves zero combat. It's all character interactions.

-Battle: Just like the name suggests, this is when you get to fight enemies! For every battle your character participates in and survives, he/she will gain experience at the end of the battle. If your character wins enough experience, he/she can be leveled up! If your character is defeated in battle, do not worry! You can either introduce a new character to join the group, or you can have the same character be revived in the end of the current chapter.

-Store: This section is when your character can buy objects that can help them in battle. You can buy objects with the gold you win during battles.

Requirements.

-You must be able to reply at least once daily. This is to keep the RP active.

-In character creation you will be given more freedom to choose your character's stats than most other RPs offer. However, do not use this to make an OP character. In any case, I'll make sure to balance your character if he/she seems too OP or UP.

-It's recommended to create more than one character. That way if your character is defeated in battle, you can use another character during the next battle. You can RP all you characters during cutscene moments, but can only RP one in battles.

I think that's all I have to say for now. If you're interested or if you have any questions, feel free to comment here, or message me, whichever works for you. If there's enough people interested, I'll make an OOC thread and a character creation thread.

Hey! I don't think I'll be joining your RP just because I'm trying to get one of my own started, but I think you've got an awesome idea and I hope it goes well.

And to maybe help give people some context, do you think you could give an example of how your system works? Or maybe provide a link to some place that showcases it if it's an established rule system and not a homebrew? That way people can know what to expect when they consider joining up.

Hey! I don't think I'll be joining your RP just because I'm trying to get one of my own started, but I think you've got an awesome idea and I hope it goes well.

And to maybe help give people some context, do you think you could give an example of how your system works? Or maybe provide a link to some place that showcases it if it's an established rule system and not a homebrew? That way people can know what to expect when they consider joining up.
Understood.

Just like dice RPs, this system uses stats and turn-based combat. The main difference is the absence of dice, and therefore of any RNG factor in the game as a whole.

Character Stats are the following:

-Health: Self-explanatory.

-Defense: When this character takes damage, this number is substracted from the total damage inflicted.

-Abilities: Each character will have up to three different abilities they can use. These abilities can inflict damage on enemies, cause negative effects on them, buff allies, heal them, etc.

-Super Ability: Can only be used once per chapter. This ability is much more powerful than the three regular abilities, and therefore, should be used wisely.

-Passive Ability: This is a small buff that happens whenever this character is part of the battle. For example, a mage might have a passive ability that says: "All magic attacks do 5 more damage." Or for example, another passive ability might be: "At the beginning of each turn, all allies are healed by 2."

-Bonus: Some characters will have a bonus against certain kinds of enemies. For example, someone who is a hunter may have a bonus against wild creatures, and therefore, he could have a bonus such as "deals +5 damage against wild animals."

There aren't any classes, but players can definitely create characters that reflect the playstyle of a certain class. Furthermore, each character should fit into one of the following three groups:

-Magica: They use magic. An example could be mages.

-Techno: They use advanced technology. An example could be a scientist.

-Natura: They use neither magic or advanced technology. An example could be a barbarian.

As for how battles play out, at the beginning of each battle, I will indicate who the enemies are, and what their stats are. The battles will be turn-based. Every character involved in the battle can attack once per turn. Once every character in the battle has attacked, it will be the enemies' turn to attack. So pretty basic stuff, if you get what I mean. I tried creating a simple combat system that would be very easy to understand.

It appears the life of this is sadly faltering...

But in the mean time, I would like to ask a few questions.
1. Starting out, are their any 'stat caps' (the maximum of each stat one can start with)? If yes, can you list them for when we come to make our characters?
2. About attacks, they can do 'anything' we want as long as they fall under the group we chose (Magica, Techno, Natura)?
3. Passives and bonuses - bonuses grant bonuses against certain enemies but passives can do the same. If they do the same or similar effects, do they stack (probably the dumber question here to be honest)?

It appears the life of this is sadly faltering...

But in the mean time, I would like to ask a few questions.
1. Starting out, are their any 'stat caps' (the maximum of each stat one can start with)? If yes, can you list them for when we come to make our characters?
2. About attacks, they can do 'anything' we want as long as they fall under the group we chose (Magica, Techno, Natura)?
3. Passives and bonuses - bonuses grant bonuses against certain enemies but passives can do the same. If they do the same or similar effects, do they stack (probably the dumber question here to be honest)?
Oh, yes, right away!

1. I'll give those along with the character sheet once there's enough people willing to roleplay.
2. Anything, as long as it isn't OP, or doesn't require any RNG.
3. They're not the same. Passives are special effects that apply whenever the character is in play. For example, a passive power could be: "All allies' Magica attacks do 3 more damage" or "All allies have 2 more defense." Bonuses grant bonuses against certain enemies. For example, a bonus could be: "This character does +2 damage to Natura enemies", or "This character does 3 more damage against machines." But yes, they can definitely stack.

Okie dokie!

I guess I'll have to do a bit of re-working in my plan, but that's OK.

Thanks for the answers!

Just a little bump, hoping 3 players is enough to start this. (I'm sorry, I get eager. Love RPGs.)

Well, CaptainRustbolt didn't actually confirm he'll be joining, so I'd prefer to wait until he either confirms he'll join, or until one more user joins.

Kk. So, technological advancement ends at the 21st Century, eh? I think that's more than enough decades for someone to discover robotics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back