[RANT] RP partner traits that make me angry.

TruthBehindTheLies

Code Mistake
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Note: I am not attacking anyone here or targeting certain users/people.

I've been roleplaying for about three years now, and in my time on forums and on Discord, I've met some.. interesting partners. I'm not saying all of them were bad, though. A lot of them were kind, understanding, and really fun to write with.

The first thing I'd like to talk about is ghosting. It's a problem we've all dealt with at some point, I know, but it's happened to me A LOT. Sometimes we'll be discussing plot points for the RP that we're going to start, and they just dip, and I understand that people are busy and everything, but I don't think it's an excuse to just leave without telling me, y'know?? I also get that people forget and feel bad about it, but most of us are cool and understanding when that happens, we're just frustrated that you just left the face of the Earth for a month without saying anything.

Another thing I'd like to talk about is forcing things on the other person or forcing character changes. This is less common than ghosting, but it's happened to me a few times. People have attempted to force me into doing smut where it wasn't needed and when I also set it as a HARD LIMIT. Also, partners who try to get you to change your characters considerably to fit their expectations, usually for a romantic plot..

TL,DR: Uhhh... don't be mean ig

Last edited:
Note: I am not attacking anyone here or targeting certain users/people.

I've been roleplaying for about three years now, and in my time on forums and on Discord, I've met some.. interesting partners. I'm not saying all of them were bad, though. A lot of them were kind, understanding, and really fun to write with.

The first thing I'd like to talk about is ghosting. It's a problem we've all dealt with at some point, I know, but it's happened to me A LOT. Sometimes we'll be discussing plot points for the RP that we're going to start, and they just dip, and I understand that people are busy and everything, but I don't think it's an excuse to just leave without telling me, y'know?? I also get that people forget and feel bad about it, but most of us are cool and understanding when that happens, we're just frustrated that you just left the face of the Earth for a month without saying anything.

Another thing I'd like to talk about is forcing things on the other person or forcing character changes. This is less common than ghosting, but it's happened to me a few times. People have attempted to force me into doing smut where it wasn't needed and when I also set it as a HARD LIMIT. Also, partners who try to get you to change your characters considerably to fit their expectations, usually for a romantic plot..

TL;DR: Uhhh... don't be mean ig
Hey, since this thread concerns RP partners and the like, I believe it belongs in the RP Discussion forum rather than the General Discussion forum- might want to ask a mod to move it for ya~

Hey, since this thread concerns RP partners and the like, I believe it belongs in the RP Discussion forum rather than the General Discussion forum- might want to ask a mod to move it for ya~
But it's my personal opinion, and I thought it went here..

It should be fine to keep this thread here. From the title and opening post by ObliviousInside, it doesn’t seem like they’re looking for a discussion, advice, or to get an answer from the community for further comments. Instead, it seems like it’s a rant to express themselves, like a blog and/or journal.

However, if you’re seeking advice or such regarding this, definitely let me know and I can move it

It should be fine to keep this thread here. From the title and opening post by ObliviousInside, it doesn’t seem like they’re looking for a discussion, advice, or to get an answer from the community for further comments. Instead, it seems like it’s a rant to express themselves, like a blog and/or journal.

However, if you’re seeking advice or such regarding this, definitely let me know and I can move it
I would like responses on this, so can you move it, please

So, I'm gonna level with you here. As someone who's been roleplaying for over 25 years, let me assure you that ghosting is an intrinsic part of the process of seeking roleplays. If you think it happens to you a lot, understand that it happens to everyone, and it happens to everyone a lot. It is not unique to you in this regard at all. It happens to writers of all sorts and is as assured as death and taxes if you continue to try and roleplay. The best thing you can do, is accept that it is going to continue to happen to you and understand that it is simply part of the screening process. There is little to nothing you can do to change other people's behavior, so it's best not to get your panties twisted over it.

As far as people forcing things on your character, that sounds like a 1x1 RP problem, of which I don't have as much experience in. Don't get me wrong, I have done my fair share of 1x1s. But group RPs are my mainstay, and that doesn't happen much in groups because the characters are not so detrimentally attached to one another. When I have done 1x1's I've never really had people try and force ideas onto my own creations. I've had them suggest things in discussion that I didn't want to do. But that's hardly forcing anything.

And as far as smut, well that's simply not allowed on RPN. So, if anyone is propositioning/attempting to write ERP with you, you should report them.

Last edited:
So, I'm gonna level with you here. As someone who's been roleplaying for over 25 years, let me assure you that ghosting is an intrinsic part of the process of seeking roleplays. If you think it happens to you a lot, understand that it happens to everyone, and it happens to everyone a lot. It is not unique to you in this regard at all. It happens to writers of all sorts and is as assured as death and taxes if you continue to try and roleplay. The best thing you can do, is accept that it is going to continue to happen to you and understand that it is simply part of the screening process. There is little to nothing you can do to change other people's behavior, so it's best not to get your panties twisted over it.

As far as people forcing things on your character, that sounds like a 1x1 RP problem, of which I don't have as much experience in. I have dome my fair share of 1x1s, but I've never really had people try and force ideas onto my own creations. I've had them suggest things in discussion that I didnt want to do. But that's hardly forcing anything. Either way, this doesn't happen too much in groups. And group RPs are my mainstay. And as far as smut, well that's simply not allowed on RPN. So, if anyone is propositioning/attempting to write ERP with you, you should report them
Just because something happens a lot doesn't mean you can't complain about it..

In terms of the second point, which was a mention of my past RP experience, I never said it happened here.

Just because something happens a lot doesn't mean you can't complain about it...
You can continue to complain about it all you want. No one's stopping you. In fact, there exist a plethora of topics on this site of people doing just that. But if you are seeking advice, as you stated above, then my advice to you is to stop giving it such importance and shrug it off. Because it isn't anything new, nor will it stop happening to you as long as you involve yourself in the hobby. In cases like these, it's only a problem if you give it mind. So try to mind it less, and it will matter less when it happens. lol

Last edited:
Ghosting sadly happens, I have experienced it for a long time both in English and my native language Danish. Yes, it is frustrating, especially when think you finally find the right person and then they vanish from the face of the earth and it leaves you with a large sense of disappointment.

Sadly, it is often a thing that one must learn to accept, however much it sucks.

As for your second part, I have role-played many 1x1 stories, but I have always had consensual partners. If someone tries to control or change the character you play and it makes you uncomfortable, let them know in a constructive manner, and if they are not going to agree with you in a suitable way just say "you know what, this isn't working out and I think it better that we stop here," because I personality explain that I am not comfortable with something and end things if an agreement cannot be reached, over forcing myself to do things that only please one part.

Having clear limits should be respected on both ends, because role play is a way a partnership should please both ends. And I had to say a hard no myself in regard to things that I did not find acceptable.

...In terms of the second point, which was a mention of my past RP experience, I never said it happened here.
Well, we are on RPN. So, it's assumed that you are referring to RPN related experiences unless specifically stated otherwise. I myself am on a few other sites, but i make it known when I am referring to a broader experience than just on-site.

If you are being propositioned for smut on sites that host that kind of roleplay... well, that's kind of the reason people are on those sites, isnt it? Either way, as this ISN'T a place that promotes ERP, the details and discussion of this probably isn't the most appropriate to continue on the site. And you'd probably get better insight to that problem from an audience hailing from that venue. So, the discussion of that might be better proposed on a site that caters to adult-oriented roleplay. j/s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back