• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Randomly Featured Users of the Day

welian

#BlackLivesMatter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I'm blaming @Musician for encouraging me to post this -

A section in the sidebar that features a randomly selected user of the day on RPN.

Algorithm restrictions:

• The user must have been active in the past 30 days.
  • The user must have no more than one active warning points.
  • The user is only featured for 24 hours.

And that's pretty much it. A algorithm just grabs a random user and displays them on the sidebar for a day. It should have an opt-out option for people who prefer to not be featured, but I think it would be a good way to drum up social interaction.

muse why dont you just suggest your own suggestions instead of making weli do it for u are u a wimp or smthn

@welian is my slave.  I still will not take credit for her genius.  Don't worry, I'll take care of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
take care of whom? excuse me? im teaching welian how to read

Okay but really, trolling aside, what do you think of a randomly featured user of the day? Flight Rising features a random dragon on the front page every time you visit, that's where I got the idea.

listen let weli learn at her own pace just because shes not able to read as well as us or learn as fast doesnt mean shes not trying her best and making progress!! not only do you make her post ur ideas (which i know is true because she could never write a post that long on her own) but you shit on her learning 

i cant beleive you

Okay but really, trolling aside, what do you think of a randomly featured user of the day? Flight Rising features a random dragon on the front page every time you visit, that's where I got the idea.

i like this idea but only if i am the featured user 

itd be fun i guess lol. idk how easy it would be to make that. or where in the sidebar itd go. i can imagine it being at the bottom of the sidebar but it wouldnt get as many views 

I think it would fit nicely right between the donation bar status and the area where status updates are shown. I support this idea because it can boost the encouragement of users to be online plus it could help users gain more friends, if they wish to have more that is. 

I'm blaming @Musician for encouraging me to post this -

A section in the sidebar that features a randomly selected user of the day on RPN.

Algorithm restrictions:

• The user must have been active in the past 30 days.
  • The user must have no more than one active warning points.
  • The user is only featured for 24 hours.

And that's pretty much it. A algorithm just grabs a random user and displays them on the sidebar for a day. It should have an opt-out option for people who prefer to not be featured, but I think it would be a good way to drum up social interaction.

I like this idea too.

I would like to add what I mentioned to you earlier.  Perhaps, instead of a 24-hour feature, it could cycle to another random user every six hours.  It would also be neat to have a featured thread/ roleplay.  Of course, there would be repeats.

There would be repeats, but a developer could program it in such as way as to avoid featuring the same item too many times. That's what iTunes does with playlists.

I would like to add what I mentioned to you earlier.  Perhaps, instead of a 24-hour feature, it could cycle to another random user every six hours.  It would also be neat to have a featured thread/ roleplay.  Of course, there would be repeats.

Not trying to hijack welian's hread but would it difficult to add maybe a couple of sentences about said user? Like maybe a bit of info so new users or anyone might see?

we'd have to write a sentence for hundreds and hundreds of potential users, so i dont think something like that would be possible. 

I think simply the avatar, username, and maybe the rank of the user would be fine. If anything it would be neat to perhaps have their last status update underneath the avatar, instead of a sentence about them. 

Okay, done like-bombing here.  I think this is a good thing as well as it'd be fun to discover others this way rather than stalking status updates.

The feature which welian suggested would be generated by an algorithm.  It wouldn't be like the feature in the newsletter. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back