• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern >>Rabbitholes and Carrot Cakes<<

Charles Cheese

Qualified Cheese Consumer
Roleplay Type(s)
Welcome to Fairlight
Character sheets| Interest check.
Copy paste of intro below for convivence.​
The letter is written on baking parchment paper and smells like wheat and burnt crumbs. You have no idea how it got here; the envelope has no return or delivery address.
Someone must've left this to you personally.
Most sane people would ignore this as an elaborate scheme or prank, but the letter is right. Life hasn't been treating you well and you're feeling desperate. So even if it's just to humor your curiosity, you're going to take the chance on a road trip.

In the car, time is a slideshow. You wonder if your phone is lying to you, its only been a minute since you last checked the clock but hours have passed by. Sometimes, when you blink, you notice you're in a highway that should've been a day ahead. No matter where you came from, when you started, your car arrives at nearly the same time as the others.
The bakery laid there in the middle of the woods, a canopy of leaves overhead shunning any sunlight. The colonial exterior, the ten minute drive away from civilization; all clues into this bakery having been abandoned, but the yard is pristine and the gravel parking lot looks used.
If only you knew what was inside before you came here.

No street view, reviews, numbers, pictures, hell--description even! 'Bakery'. 4446 Hops Rd in Fairlight. That's all google maps provides you.

fondur.gifBzzt... bzzztt... "Well, well, well! 9AM, and I know what all of you are screaming, it’s about damn time! Welcome to FFFM back my old, beautiful friends. I’m your lovely local celebrity Fondue, and you’re listening to Fondue’s Fairlight For Morons!”

April 9th. It’s the kind of weather where you can just smell the wet, and yet everything is starting to come out of its shell. It may surprise you how many animals are out in the open, fluffy white opossums skittering across trees to snakes slithering down town sidewalks.
But then there’s those that hide and watch. Practically every minute you have to slow your car so that blurs of fur can cross the gravel road and disappear into bushes to shake off droplets on emerald green leaves. In between the branches their pearl sized eyes linger on you... Rabbits. Dumb, dumb rabbits. This town is booming with them. There might as well be piles of carrots in the road.

“Yuck. It sure is cold, wet and shitty weather for egg hunting, huh? People who’re working today, you sure ain’t missing out on much.. Easter events have been rescheduled to tomorrow, yada yada. Heh! Can you tell I barely had any sleep last night? Well, I bet none of you have had it either!”

Oh yes, if you’ve slept in Fairlight last night, you’d be all too aware of where this is headed. No place in town was immune, parking lot or building. Condolences if you paid for Frankfurter Inn. That place smells like hot dog water and has walls translucent thin.

fondur.gif“Biker seasons’ come early and rumor has it that it’s the Femme Fatales, terrorizing us at 1am with their engines these past few days. Seriously, it’s like a damn transformer invasion out here! Police are supposedly on it, but that’s probably not the kinda doughnuts they’re after.. Speaking of the devil, we have a pretty important message from the police. Parents, stay in with your children for today’s Easter. This gang has been known for drug trafficking and might try to give.. free drugs? Heh, yeah right, maybe they were actually planting eggs in the spirit of easter! Bahaha–eh? What do you mean I might be sued for that?! It’s a joke, Larry! Now get me that latte or your fired!”

"~Ad break!~"

A sickeningly chipper jingle begins to play and the hosts’ demeanor shifts completely. “.. Oh? ‘Where do you get your coffee from?’ What a good question, my dearest viewers! I have to say I’m fairly picky, but when it comes to our sponsor, Goldie’s cafe, nothing else compares! Especially not any bakeries. Come get your muffin and drinks today at Caterpillar Avenue. This week’s special is the Gnomy Foamy. Now, for the rest of today’s news..” The radio host moves onto the forecast and world news.

Their perspectives.. Ah, alright. But listen well. It starts something like this..

MacGregor hits the radio knob with a sigh and looks on above. Here it was, in its lousy grey weather and all. Shame, if only the road would go on forever. With an unnecessarily rough swing of the car door, the damp gravel soon squishes underneath his sneakers. Oh! That's going to track inside. If his mother was here she'd definitely scold him--maybe he should've brought boots? As looks through the car window for his suitcase, he’s immediately distracted by his reflection. "...!" He spikes up his lilac hair and gives his winning smile just like his old friend taught him. No, too sad–-stop slouching, maybe wink, use your cheeks to bring up your eyes..

altlexi.pngfirst post.png
There! "Lexi. Ye are Lexi MacGregor!" Alright, now that practicing was over.. What was he going to do again?.... Crivens.

Peering around for an answer, he slides a hand into his pocket. To the left was the only road and everything else was encased in forest like a giant green birdcage, pine trees being the bars and ceiling. It sounded like a bird cage as well, chirping and chattering all like there was a sudden danger in the air.
It'd be fun to clear this out with how much natural forage there is.. Wild violets, chickweed.. Oh! Were those garlic leaves..?! Garlic bread! Lexi sighs longfully. How nostalgic--he could easily identify plants forever if he wasn't here for a reason. He needs money and to keep himself busy for a while, too.
His eyes lead to the long trim of wild peanut plants across the bakery then further up.
Wisteria and Fox grape vines climb across, giving life to an otherwise ugly exterior. Once-red bricks jut out from different parts of the architecture, aged tanned and dusty like fossils. There were plenty of windows that’d be good for indoor plants… If buildings had faces, the palladian window on the second floor would definitely be it's ugly cyclops eye and the door's portico its jutting chin. Its eyebrows could easily be two gabled dormers. “Ah!” That combined with the overall height of the building suggests a third floor attic..! He bites his lip. Could he break in through the dormers? The bricks certainly looked climbable but.. No, there was too much broken glass...
The laborers who rose this building would be disappointed that all their patient details have been so severely neglected. Even the name was reduced to a faded wood sign dangling by one rope, splayed fibers on the other like it had been chewed off. Ineligible shadows of once words. His heels arch so his hand can reach; the sign is so grimy it leaves his thumb painted. C'mon, there has to be something he can get out of this..
Clatter.
The last rope tears upon mere touch and hits him square on the head with only his ponytail to absorb damage. "Ow owww! You..." Then all his anger comes out at once. He yells. "You did that!" Then he begins to kick the sign repeatedly while its on the ground--oblivious to any of the cars that enter the parking lot next or may have already. "Ye bloody, bloody, glaikit scum! I hate you!!"

How to postAfter you've finished your CS you are free to have your character enter the scene. You are encouraged to interact with the setting and other characters to your heart’s content. When it comes to the setting, I'll include what they'll learn and how the setting interacts back my posts. Please write in your character’s mode of transport and what they’ve done during their trip. Do not have your character enter the bakery just yet!

In-rp Information: Your character is free to have listened to the radio. Many music options are available but Fondue's radio station is only local radio station that includes talking or news. Wifi is also somewhat poor. If your character stood the night in Fairlight, the only available areas would be the inn or somewhere to sleep in their car. More details contained within this post. This is a pretty small normal seeming town on the surface.

Reminder: So far, Your characters do not know there'd be others here and to their knowledge they were the only one to receive the letter. This is until they communicate.
Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford 606 606 IDKnuggets IDKnuggets SavannahSmiles SavannahSmiles housegoat13 housegoat13 asystole. asystole. SilvernFae SilvernFae November Witch November Witch

Last edited:

they said i couldn't...

gelato

Giovanni
mood
outfit

• blank

Gio never knew what their plan was as soon as they walked across that stage to retrieve a diploma from culinary school. There was no one in the crowd to cheer him, no loud applause except from the few friends he made and many of the students out of respect. Gio was talented. Everyone in the class knew that. Under their tired eyes and laid-back spirit was a burning desire and passion to bake, to cook, and to create and eat. With a diploma in hand, he was shaking with their free one to one of many chefs they worked under who held Gio back for a bit, knowing Gio had it rough.

“I am proud of you… now show the rest of the world what you can do.”

For a moment, his eyes showed some sign of tears, and a smile on his face as this chef took Gio under his wings, among many other professors and Gio nodded slightly.

“I will, they won’t know what hit them.”

That was a long while ago, however, and his truest and worst gift has finally come back to haunt him. Debt. No one could (or the world) support his time in higher education, he had no home to return to to save money, and scholarships and jobs at school only went so far. With interest on loans and a poor job at some grocery bakery in the city, it was hard work. Living in the dumps, this was not the life he wanted but at the same time, they weren’t shocked either. However, things changed when a letter arrived.

The letter is written on baking parchment paper and smells like wheat and burnt crumbs. You have no idea how it got here; the envelope has no return or delivery address.
Someone must've left this to you personally.
Most sane people would ignore this as an elaborate scheme or prank, but the letter is right. Life hasn't been treating you well and you're feeling desperate. So even if it's just to humor your curiosity, you're going to take the chance on a road trip.
In the car, time is a slideshow. You wonder if your phone is lying to you, its only been a minute since you last checked the clock but hours have passed by. Sometimes, when you blink, you notice you're in a highway that should've been a day ahead. No matter where you came from, when you started, your car arrives at nearly the same time as the others.
The bakery laid there in the middle of the woods, a canopy of leaves overhead shunning any sunlight. The colonial exterior, the ten minute drive away from civilization; all clues into this bakery having been abandoned, but the yard is pristine and the gravel parking lot looks used.
If only you knew what was inside before you came here

At the time, he was in his barely liveable apartment in New York, it was going to be a travel, and he didn’t even own a car but, he checked his cash, and his bank, and there should be plenty to go, after all, his lease was about to end and he didn’t have enough to cover it anyways. Gio didn’t own much so packing what he needed into a few bags was no trouble and then it was onto the subway and he made his journey from the east coast to, well, not the east coast.

Train rides and Ubers to various locations were all he did, and they made the most of it too, usually stopping at bakeries along the way. He didn’t sleep much either, more on a constant move as they couldn’t spare the money for a hotel, or even a motel. The rides were quiet except for the radio and music some drivers had put on as the days passed and Gio said goodbye to that city life, trees filled with various colors, clear skies on certain days, and beautiful rain even. This would have been his first time outside of the city, ever and he began to wonder why they, the person who hates loud noises and the rush of the city, stayed to begin with. Was it to open a bakery and prove his family wrong or was it not knowing anything outside of the city life he grew up in? He wasn’t sure as the only radio was playing by his current driver, who was happily humming to herself, Gio in the back as they entered a small town, only to leave it once more.

It was odd for a bakery to NOT be in the town but at this point, Gio wouldn’t know much better. In the city, everything was everywhere really, so for all he knew, this was normal. Yet as they arrived and pulled up to the sad building that called itself a Bakery, the driver turned to look at Gio as he stared out the window, seeing someone else was there as well which was, curious to say the least.

“Well, here you go. Never knew this was even here between you and me…meeting friends here or something?” The driver asked as the tired post-college grad began to leave the car.

“I have no idea…uh, thank you for the ride,” he said softly, stifling a yawn that was forming, and took his belongings out of the trunk and then, the driver was off, leaving Gio with 3 bags in the gravel parking lot with, a stranger. At this point, Gio was prepared to be murdered in the middle of the woods now, hands digging into his pocket as he pulled out the baking parchment with the writing on it and then looked up at the building, not seeing any clear signs that defined this to be the correct place, but there was a sign on the ground, as the stranger was well, kicking it now.

Please let this not be where I die

Gio threw his book back over his shoulder, and dragged his two suitcases over the build, stopping a few feet from the angry person, standing there and staring, his face might have been blank but what many don’t see is the fear and panic of talking to a stranger that goes through his head as he has to be social, to some extent.

“H-hi…do you know if this is…um… he paused as he looked down at his parchment, his hands shaking lightly despite it being decent weather. Um…4….446 Hops road?” They looked up at the other, his voice getting quieter the longer he spoke, and decided to look at this person more closely now that they were closer.

This person was taller than him, with long thick hair, with some in a small, ponytail, one that reminded Gio personally of Cindy Lou Who, which did make the person more, approachable? No no, definitely not but it did help a small amount.

coded by weldherwings.

Theodore Mathieu
Rabbitholes and Carrot Cakes

A bunny hopped out of a small brush, cautiously approaching and sniffing curiously at a small dog sprawled on it's side. The chihuahua let out a huff without opening his eyes and the rabbit's nose curled as it got a whiff of the pooches morning breath, making a swift retreat from what surely posed a hazard to it's health.

A few feet away a tall man leaned against the leather seat of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle chuckles, observing the exchange with an amused quirk of his brow and a one-sided smile.

“Theo. Theo, are you listening to me?” a feminine voice asks from his phone, bringing his attention back to the screen.

“Sorry Ab, Potato was just making friends with a rabbit” one of the chihuahua's eyes crept slowly open just half way, eyeing Theodore with disdain.

“Bunny!” A cheerful voice exclaimed from the other side of the phone, and a head of purple hair crashed into view, knocking against Abigail’s own skull eliciting a wince. If the collision had hurt the little girl as much as it had her aunt, she didn’t show it. “Did Lops meet the bunny?!”

Theodore side-eyed his bag, within which resided Claire’s purple stuffed bunny Lops. “She sure did, they were hopping all around playing tag with Potato”

He could feel the doubt radiating off of both their faces through the phone. Abigail’s amused expression was a mirror of his own, a single brow shooting up and a half a smile gracing her lips. Claire on the other hand had a much more exaggerated expression, placing her tiny fists on her hips and leaning back to stare down her nose at him.

“Daddy, Potato NEVER plays tag!” she exclaimed admonishingly, and Theodore had to suppress a laugh. She sounded so much like her mother when she scolded him, and almost like she were the parent. “He just lays! Lops likes tag, Potato never plays with her!”

“You’re right sweetheart, but he reached out and tagged Lops when she was hopping by- I swear”

Claire regarded him with the same grace and highness Osiris must present weighing a person’s heart on his scale. “Swear for real?” she demanded.

“Swear for real” he affirmed, marking an 'x' over his heart with the hand that didn't hold the phone.

“Okay, good” she cracked a bright smile and flopped onto the couch, satisfied. Theo glanced at the time at the top of his screen.

“Alright, daddy has to go now sweetie. Make sure you behave for Paul and aunt Abby, okay? I love you both, call you tonight alright?”

“Awww. Love you daddy! Tell Lops I love her too!”

“I will, don’t worry”

“Love you Theo, we’ll talk to you tonight- come on Claire, let’s go-“
the call cut out before she finished her sentence and Theodore slipped his phone into his pocket.

“C’mon tag master, let’s get a move out” he said as he scooped Potato up in one arm, reviving only an indignant huff in response. “Yeah yeah, I hear you. There’ll be plenty of time for napping once we get where we’re going” this drew a satisfied grin out of the pup, and his tongue lazily lolled out of his mouth and brushed against Theo’s knuckles. The attempt at showing his gratitude wasn’t much, but it was appreciated.

An hour later Theo and Potato were enjoying a pleasant ride through the woods on the outskirts of Fairlight, North Carolina. A calm feminine voice filled his helmet, easily audible despite the roar of the motorcycle’s engine.

“In 200 feet your destination will be on your right”

Easing in the clutch and brakes, Theo leaned the motorcycle into the final turn into the gravel drive. As he pulled in a car passed on their way out of the lot. Pulling to a stop alongside a red Elantra, he nudged his kickstand down and rested the bike on it carefully. He leaned his own weight against the bike experimentally, testing how steadily it rested on the gravel. Since it didn’t seem to be going anywhere Theo shrugged and turned the key to off, the loud noise of the engine dying abruptly.

He swung himself off of bike, undoing his helmet’s chinstrap at the same time and slipping it off of his head in a fluid motion. His long purple hair fell into his eyes as the helmet came off and he drug his free hand through it, laying it back out of his way.

Hanging his helmet from the handlebars he then unzipped the top of the doggie carrier that rested between his seat and the sissy bar, extracting Potato from within. The chihuahua didn’t look happy about being removed from his nap cube one bit.

Two people stood already by the door to the bakery. The closer of the two was a short and skinny looking fella with an olive complexion and long dark hair that nicely framed a cute face. The other, who had been caught up in curb stomping what appeared to be the bakery’s sign, was a man only a bit taller than the first with long lilac hair that hung far down his back even with a bunch of his locks pulled up in a ponytail that jutted upward. Theodore towered over both of them, almost a full foot taller than the shorter of the two.

Their presence raised Theo’s suspicion level a tic. Had he really driven all this way for some bullshit scam? Were they swindlers, or had the two received letters like the one he had? Abby and Paul would never let him live it down if this had all been some elaborate hoax. Besides, he had really been hoping things would shake out for them here.

Calmly placing a hand on the angry man’s shoulder, Theo spoke in a soothing voice. “Easy there tiger, I think you got ‘im”

Coded by AnemoVictorious

MacGregor

The kicking slows as voices override the noisy birds above. Oh! Bloody hell, not this early! His heart does a drum solo in his chest--what are the chances this was just some elaborate scheme and he's just about to get slain..? No, they usually don't play that way; maybe he's just gonna get jumped..? Playing it safe, his back straightens and arm raises high like he's just stretching so he can sneak off of the hand and turn around, ready to kick something else.
But then his eyes brighten. “Oh!” Good! These two were totally unfamiliar. And Lexi would give it to the both, they were pretty good looking. The smaller one gave Lexi a nice laid back feeling and kind of pulled off the bleach stains, and the tall one reminded him of some kind of 'VN' character his weeb friend would've raved about. What did that even stand for anyways, virtual networks? Oh well. They looked good together! Maybe a couple?
He beams. “Ye think so? Hehe, great! Damn thing deserved it.” He clearly isn't embarrassed like a sign murderer should be.“Hops road alright! Torn tae shreds, but this is definitely one bakery. Ugly cute really. Takes a lot o' time for abandoned buildings tae get this much vines. So who’re you two?” His brows furrow while he scans around.. “Uh.. Groundskeepers?”

side building.png

It sorta works. The grass was at stubble length and even the wild peanut plants around the bakery’s trim looked maintained and purposeful. The foliage that was out of control was mostly the parking lot and the building's vines on the corners.. So it could seem like they were groundkeepers finishing their jobs. “Uh. I advise ye tae keep the vines and watch out what ye remove. Much o' it is free food.." He scratches the back of his head. What was the wording he was given again..? "So, dae ye know the name o' this place? Uh, apparently I inherited it.” As they respond(or process how to respond, I wouldn't blame them), he dusts his hands on his leather jacket before producing a cigarette and red zippo from inside.
A few flicks and a beautiful ember gets going. He waits for there to be a pause in conversation before asking. "Want one?" He holds a packet toward them while doing the wink he practiced in the window's reflection. A tiny breeze blows the tunnel of smoke and simultaneously causes some of the window curtains from the inside to rustle. A draft, Lexi noted. It was a good thing he gravitated to warmer clothes..

Character Sheet
Interactions
N/A
Tags
N/A
Reggie Roberts

The heavy burr of the bus shuffled through the quaint town of Fairlight. The buildings, the paved roads, the people, they weren’t like Coshocton. Why should they be? Obviously, Fairlight wasn’t going to be an exact replica of his hometown. There wouldn’t be a little main street with green mailboxes on every door. There wouldn’t be a police station a few blocks away from the high school. There wouldn’t be local bands parading down the road to the field by the pharmacy. There wouldn’t be a Farmer Tom with a plot full of maize that kids dared each other to sneak through. There wouldn’t be Reggie’s trust, love, or community.

Obviously, it would have been different.

The more he searched, the more he watched, the more it all felt like a plunge into ice water. He huddled against the window, his eyes were glued to each passing tree, each building, and blade of grass. Everything was different, it was hard to imagine that he was ever going to live here.

It almost seemed surreal now, to feel the road underneath him, to watch the streets swing past. Would he know the little green signs as well as he knew them in his hometown? Would Diamond Boulevard, Black Horse Way, and Sunshine Street hold as much meaning as his own neighborhood had?

He had always felt doubtful he would ever know more than what he grew up with, and yet... here he was; miles away from home and discovering something different.

The bus lurched forward to a squeaking stop and Reggie jerked to block his backpack from sliding off the seat. The heavy bag shifted and the modest plant in the main compartment quivered its leaves, its stems springing out in indignation.

Sorry,” Reggie whispered, scooting the bag back, and checking the linked zippers for any give. After a final tug on the black zip-tie, he slung the oppressive backpack over his shoulders and carefully moved to a standing position.

This was his stop.

He reached overhead to tug down his dull red suitcase, a gift from a late aunt he had never seen. The suitcase was a supposed invitation to visit the humid beaches of Florida, but Mom had said the relative passed before they could even begin to buy a plane ticket. So, the dull red suitcase sat empty, long forgotten in a dusty closet. Reggie was surprised he remembered the thing when he had been packing for his trip.

He shifted through the empty gray aisle and towards the large bi-fold doors. He gave one final glance towards the frail bus driver with pin-straight hair before stepping off onto the gravel, the rocks crunching underneath his converses.

He repositioned the backpack off his spine and the potted monstera paid an obnoxious shake at the stir. He stared up in awe at the building, the small crowd that had gathered went unnoticed by Reggie’s inattentive air. In one hand he clutched a fluffy pillow, and in the other, he dragged a rolling suitcase. His freckled cheeks puffed up as he held in a breath, as if worried that a single wisp of wind might blow the whole bakery away.

coded by natasha.

Megan Cartright

"So...you all know about the situtation, so I won't bore you with it. I'm handling it as best I can, and I appreciate all the support, but unfortunately...this will be my last video for a while. I need time to myself. Thank you all, truly."

Whoever sent that letter was either a goddamn psychic, a stalker, or just had an impeccable sense of dramatic timing.

Megan had cut out a niche for herself on the internet. She wasn't a famous streamer, just one bad take away from going under, or a Let's Player screaming about animatronics. Nor was she was white guy in an old hat shrieking about how terrible movies are.

Megan went by "EggnMeg," a well respected baking channel. She focused mainly on baking that was easy, simple, and cheap. A mixture of her editing style, skill in reasearching and testing new methods, and generally easygoing persona had carved out a loyal fanbase, especvially among younger college students. Her most famous series, "Eggs with Meg," had her showing a new recipe each episode, each one using eggs in some unique way.

While her career was stellar, her personal life was...not.

Recently her boyfriend, Evan, another somewhat famous YouTuber, had gotten his entire career derailed when it was leaked he was cheating. A LOT, like it's almost impressive how much cheating he'd been doing before he got caught. A mixture of maybe the messiest breakups of her life, and the constant internet drama had broken Megan down to maybe her most vulnerable.

Well...maybe, her most vulnerable.

So when shge was given the chance to get away from it all...of course she took it!

Probably not the best decision she'd ever made, driving several days to a shady place in the middle of nowhere, but hey, you gotta live a little!

Yeah...

The car ride was...okay. Not the worst she'd ever had, but a lot of time to just...think. Think about how fucked her life was, really.

At last, Farlight entered her view. It was a town that had an odd nostalgia to it, Even if you'd never been to a town like this, it felt like you'd always lived there. Like a collective memory.

She let out a sigh as her car pulled up, a fairly average sedan that was almost ten years old. Yeah, her channel got her a good amount of money, but the last thing she wanted to do was waste it on fancy cars.

She wasn't gonna end up like the deadbeats that raised her.

As the bakery came into view, Megan gave herself one last chance to just...leave. Turn back, go home, get drunk watching Netflix...how msot people dealth with a breakup.

But Megan was never really one for doing things the popular way.

The car came to a slightly creaky stop, brakes and suspension creaking. The woman let out a weary sigh, eyes closing as she gripped the steering wheel. She had to focus. Focus...no need to let aynone know what she's going though-

OH SHIT PEOPLE WERE HERE

Her breaths began to pick up, green eyes blinking frantically. Just...stay calm. It was gonna be okay.

She slowly stepped out, swallowing deeply and brushing her sandy blonde hair back a bit.

She stepped out into the air, sighing as she briskly jogged over to the others. A...varied group! If she wasn't literally just off the worst breakup of her life, she'd maybe even make a pass at some of them.That guy with the long and the older guy were...well, they were her types.

"Hey guys! You all get that letter too?"

Her voice was light, atrificially chipper. Her eyes betrayed ehr exhaustion, seeing as their handbags were Gucci at this point. She extended her hand out to the group, soon realizing there were too many people for that. Why hadn't anyone thought of a group handshake...?

"My name's Megan, Megan Cartright! A pleasure to meet you all!"

Oh God oh God please don't recognize, I do NOT have the energy to explain why I'm here.

Charles Cheese Charles Cheese

606 606

IDKnuggets IDKnuggets

housegoat13 housegoat13

Jackson

Jackson was on the second to final stretch on the way to his new bakery. What he would do when he got there, he had no idea. But it wasn't his house and that's what mattered the most. He was on a bus to Fairlight, which had just screeched to a halt. The bus stop unfortunately did not take him directly to the bakery, but to a close by hotel. The bus driver looks up what Jackson interprets as a scowl and Jackson gulps uncomfortably. He grabs his backpack from the seat next to him and quickly rushes out of the door, mumbling a small 'thank you' as he did so. The next part was tricky, he had no idea how far away the bakery was from the hotel. Jackson had no phone to call any type of ride to the bakery, so his best bet was to head inside, and see what the hotel could do.

A few moments later, he had some maps and pamphlets from the hotel, but still no way to the bakery. It would take too long to walk and he looks around, a bit stuck. Jackson spots a man leaning up against a car, smoking a cigarette. There was no one else in the parking lot and it was a long shot, but his only shot. He hesitantly approaches the man. "Uhh, excuse me, could you lend me a ride somewhere? I think it's only about ten minutes away from town.." his voice was a high pitched squeak, anxiety spiking through it. There was a long pause and Jackson could do nothing but wait. He wasn't sure if the man would ever answer or even heard him. Finally, the stranger tossed the cigarette away and looked at him. "Ya got cash?" When Jackson nods, the man scrutinizes him before saying, "fitty bucks then."

The man had simply put the address into his GPS and then they were off. Jackson didn't dare try to say anything to the stranger. The ride seemed to take forever. It was complete silence, not even the radio was on for comfort. When Jackson arrived, he didn't even notice the others at first. Jackson thanked the man and had already paid in advance. The stranger grunted and sped off as soon as Jackson was out of the car. He felt his heart racing in his throat, unsure what to do next. After taking a deep breath, Jackson turned around, and froze. There were others here? But why? Did he read the letter wrong? Panic began to creep inside of him and he slowly gets off the road. Jackson wasn't sure how to approach the others or what to say, but he was sure they were going to notice him quickly.

/* ------ credit -- do not remove ------ */

© weldherwings.

Theodore Mathieu

The man straightened under Theodore's touch, his body going rigid. While he turned around he raised his arm into the air as if he were stretching but the action came off as unusually tense. A surprised "oh!" escaped him as his eyes settled on Theo and the anxious person beside them, apparently too caught up in his assault on the defenseless sign to notice them approach. A single brow quirked up in amusement as the stranger proudly proclaimed victory over his foe. Theodore found it to be endearing in a playful, energetic sort of way that made him miss his daughter.

Listening as the stranger rambled on in his heavy Scottish accent, a lopsided smile tugged at one corner of Theo’s lips as his own gaze followed the speaker’s around the derelict building. He had some fair points about grounds keeping, thoughts that could come in handy if all this bakery business turned out to be legitimate- unlikely as that had begun to look.

A slight frown replaced his smile when the Scotsman said he had inherited the bakery, hand straying to the letter in his own pocket. So, this had all been a waste of time just as he had worried. Theo let out a heavy sigh, letting his frustration leave his body as he thought about Abby and Claire back home. He might be going back with bad news, but at least it meant he would see them sooner. That had to count for something- having someone to go home to always counted for something. Abby and Paul would never let him live this down, though, that was for sure.

His blue eyes flicked to the other man, gentle and sympathetic in their gaze. When Theodore arrived there had only been one car in the lot, give that these two clearly weren't together the shy one must have come this far on public transit. He doubted it would be any small feat getting back where he came from, if he even could. Theo might be able to get him some of the way if he weren't too nervous to ride on the motorcycle, he didn't have a spare helmet but was willing to do without for as long as their paths matched.

A red pack of cigarettes pushed their way into Theodore’s vison. He eyed them with a hint of disdain, nose wrinkling as a soft breeze drew the smoke in his direction. "No thanks," he fanned the smoke away with the letter from his pocket before offering it to Lexi. "Afraid this might've all been a bit too good to be true. I got a letter just like yours, and I'd bet our poor friend here did too- it's no wonder he looks scared half to death"

He tried to give the nervous looking one a reassuring smile, but his attention was quickly stolen away by the squeaky sound of a bus pulling to a halt. Another man stepped off, gravel crunching under foot as he approached- and not long after him were two more late arrivals in separate cars. Only one of the newcomers approached the group, another looking too nervous and the man from the bus not even seeming to notice them past his admiration of the bakery building.

The woman that greeted them was quick on the uptake, asking off the bat if they had all received the same letter. In spite of the exhaustion written on her face she put forward a lively and cheerful front. Her hand extended toward them and she introduced herself as Megan Cartwright- Theodore realized then that she was the first to bother giving an introduction.

"Theodore Mathieu, pleasure's all mine" he introduced himself while shaking her hand with a firm, but not hard, grip.

"Seems like all of us got the same message, not sure what whoever sent them is getting out of this but clearly everything isn’t on the straight and narrow. If anyone wants to cut their losses now and head back, I'll help you out best I can."

His eyes lingered on the faces of each person who had arrived without a vehicle of their own as he spoke, apologetic. He could only fit one of them on the bike, maybe Megan or the Scotsman would be willing to give the others a ride? As for money, he didn't have much to spare but he might be able to put forward at least a little for each of them. Who knew how far they had traveled to get here and how their own pocket books might've been exhausted on the way. His own letter had contained a sum of cash to help cover his travels so theirs likely had as well, a detail that once again struck him as odd if it was all just a hoax.

Coded by AnemoVictorious

they said i couldn't...

gelato

Giovanni
mood
outfit

• blank

People, more people. As the Scottish Cindy Lou Who rambled on, he quickly noticed more people arrive. A man who had a beautifully green plan from a bus, a girl who calls herself Megan (at least one name was given), and another boy who had a familiar face of panic, as Gio would share a similar panic. There were more pressing matters than who these people were though, the bigger question was why they were all here, and that is when Gio, dumped his belongs where he was standing, and quietly slipped past Scottish Cindy Lou Who and the man who had a motorcycle towards the door, looking it up and down before going to peer into a window, any window that might show some insight of the state of a bakery. Was this some sick reality show that people were pulling on him? Was this his family getting revenge? Seeing how they have had no contact with them since they left years ago seemed odd if that was the case. Either way, he was going to get to the bottom of this.
Having his own bakery would have been a dream, and of course, he expected to work with other people at some point, yet not like this. He didn’t have the money, to support employees even if he wanted to, in reality, it needed to be the other way around, and the letter said the same. After taking a look inside, or attempting to, they turned around backward the rest of the group, noting everyone around. 1. Scottish Cindy Lou Who, 2. Theodore, 3. Plant Dad, 4. Megan, 5, fellow panic, and then there was him. 6 people total so far, which was a lot. Even for a prank, this seemed like a lot, and none of them seemed to be actors of any type, That was when he spotted a familiar piece of parchment from Theo’s hand being handed to Scottish Cindy Lou Who and that's when Gio's hand went into their pocket, pulling out his own now very crumpled piece of parchment, confirming Gio’s thoughts that, they all were summoned here by this same, person.
A key!
It was a thought but there must be a key somewhere, Gio nodded to show that he acknowledged everyone but he immediately began searching the ground for a key. If there was a door, then there must be a way in, and seeing how….worse of wear the building looked, it must be locked, right? That and Gio wants to go find a quiet room inside to maybe, breathe a little before trying to talk with anyone here. So his searching was for sure increasing panic searching, but the type that one would try to hide but not do a great job of.

coded by weldherwings.

Potato Mathieu

The rotund cream colored chihuahua stirred, annoyed, in the arms of Plum. That was the name he had given his pet, the tall man with purple hair tied up in a loose ponytail. His human arm hammock had become very animated all of a sudden, and he did not appreciate it one bit.

What was all of the commotion about? The past few moons had been nothing if not troublesome. For some reason they had left their den behind and migrated without Plum's pup, Little Fig, or Potato's other pet, Noisy.

One tired eye reluctantly slipped open, lazily gliding across the scene. This place had a full blown infestation of humans, why had Plum thought bringing them here was a good idea? Perhaps he was looking for a new mate, some time had passed since the passing of Fig’s mother. Was this some sort of human adoption center, then? If so, Potato hoped Plum would pick out a quiet one. Vocal humans were bothersome- he loved Noisy of course, but that loud string board she played always interrupted his mid-morning, early-afternoon nap. That was the third most important nap of the day!

His eyes settled on the talkative human with the strange bark. No, no, this one wouldn’t do at all. It had a pretty coat, even by the sub-par standards of humans, but was much too loud. He would never get any sleep with this one around.

Next he eyed the one that touched paws with Plum, he had seen humans do this as a show of affection before. Her eyes resonated with an exhaustion that spoke to Potato on a spiritual level. This one would do quite nicely, he thought.

The final human in Plum’s crowd was much quieter than the other two with tired eyes much like the previous, and seemed to shake slightly in their boots. This one, he decided, must be the breed of human most like a chihuahua. Potato’s own paws shook slightly as their eyes met- his single open one to the human’s two at least- and his tongue flicked in the air sympathetically. He felt a sort of kinship with this human. It would also be a good choice, Plum had much experience dealing with their ilk.

With even more reluctance, Potato opened his second eye at a pace akin to a snail on a glue trap. It was actually opening, yes? Yes. He lazily batted one paw against Plum’s arm, requesting to be set down, and he was.

Once his paws touched the ground he plodded away from the group, near the door to the center where the chihuahua human scrounged around- perhaps looking for food? Something it had buried nearby? He hoped they would share. He decided to lie down nearby and keep his eyes- maybe just one eye- on this human.

Only a few moments passed before both of Potato’s eyes had slid shut and he began to softly snore. He dreamed of cozy pillows and delicious bones dug up by a shaky-pawed human with long dark hair.

Coded by AnemoVictorious

Super important disclaimer: Just a heads up because I forgot to do this sooner, I do not always agree with Lexi’s perspective, for one Potato is a beautiful baby.
A lot of stuff happens in this post to keep a fast pace. Just imagine my post happening as your characters interact and/or investigate in your next posts so your character can do as you please--what Lexi does will happen near the end of your post. You'll know what I'm talking about.

MacGregor
"No thanks," the scotsman laughs at the way Theo's nose crinkles. “Haha! Guid answer. Keep makin’ smairt decisions, ye’re gonnae live long… Oh, hey whit about ye? Wanna shorten yer lifespan?!” He glances over to Gio---they look anxious, maybe they know something? He's just about to ask but then a different voice overrides his.
"Hey guys! You all get that letter too?" Lexi jerks his head over. Wow, 2 new ones! At this point, he was half expecting it. Still, so many people at once. "Hi, hi!" He doesn't even digest their appearances first before he beams at them, they could be covered in blood for goodness sake! He accidentally matches Meg's artificial smile as he gives a small wave.
"Eh, wait, letter? Thought there was only one!"
"My name's Megan, Megan Cartright! A pleasure to meet you all!" He gives it a pause... Cartright. Cartright, Cartwright.. Heh, at least it’s not Catright, that’d be a devastating last name.. Ah, what would his old friend say? “Megan? Great, can I call ye Meg Egg, or just Egg?” Misunderstanding her handshake offer, he just drops a cigarette into her palm. “Just kiddin’, just kiddin’… Oh, anither one! So many folk!" His attention goes to Jackson--this one also has pretty long hair!. He'll have to ask them what hair products they use when he can.

"Afraid this might've all been a bit too good to be true. I got a letter just like yours, and I'd bet our poor friend here did too- it's no wonder he looks scared half to death. Theodore Mathieu, pleasure's all mine"
Admittingly, Lexi only caught half of that, his mind wandering to if he should grow his hair out long like that too. Wigs aren't as fun..
Hm? The smile sinks just a little when Theo hands him the parchment. Wincing, he doesn't grab it, just presses the paper down so he could read. "Ah, I see."
Doesn't take long to finish, leaning back, he taps some tobacco ash out from his smoke while he thinks on what to say.
“This definitely sketchy, but. Damn, if this was jist a scam, why’d they invite sae many folk at once? If onythin’ we could jump them… open carry’s legal here.”…! With big eyes on the sign, his bright smile returns. “Oh! Hell aye, I know what to do..“ All too proud of his new idea, he checks around. No good, he'd have to wait until the bus left, there can't be other witnesses..
Meanwhile, he surprisingly had a little fun memorizing all the new faces. Cute, cute, and also cute, especially that plant in the backpack. He’d offer them a cigarette too, but he was on a mission and didn’t want to somehow accidentally end up being the culprit of plant burning. Honestly--he can’t help but admire the plants’ heart shaped leaves for a bit; what a unique species! He’s only seen dead versions of that in abandoned houses. A surprising amount of people leave their plants behind, hell, even Lexi did after he sold off his farm--but not this guy.. Hm.. Why did he look so worried?
Actually... So many people have worried and confused expressions—yeah, Lexi doesn’t blame them. Even he was starting to get really sweaty, and that felt as comfortable as you'd imagine with a leather jacket.
Lexi's so attentive to their expressions that, when he notices the blob of flesh colored mass hopping from Theo's arm he almost drops his damn cigarette! “Bloody hell!” Oh, just a really tiny dog. Scrunching up his face, his hand sneaks into his jacket to replace his zippo with a waterskin.
After all this time, he still hasn't gone used to these.. mutated dogs yet.. He was honestly spoiled with growing up alongside shelties that he pretty much lost his mind when he saw a pug for the first time; nonetheless a chihuahua. “Hi, uh… Hey wee laddie, whit a cute dug, Theo… Sorry, lemme… Be richt back, I gottae check somethin’.” His hands left the cigarette rogue in his mouth, crouching to pick up the abused sign before he hopped down the steps of the portico so that the poor dog didn’t inhale his cancer air.
Like Gio, Lexi briefly leaves them to talk with each other, not seeming to bothered to give an introduction himself. He passes by Theo, Meg, Reggie, Jackson--there, that's a good place! The sign is thrown to a safe patch of grass to the left of the bakery's front lawn, a good in-between of parking lot and bakery.

Little to say, Lexi's had a lot of experience dealing with abandoned buildings. If you gotta squat at a new place every week, you have to make sure the building isn't at a time period where everyone thought asbestos was a good idea. A chuckle bubbles out of him--this one is clearly too old for that, but those aren't the secrets he hopes to find from this sign. As the others probably converse with each other(like normal people), the MacGregor hovers over the sign and unscrews the waterskin. “C’mon, Daisy.. Let’s get evaluatin'.” For good luck, taps each of the 3 daisy engravings in the waterskin before he waterboards the poor sign. Despite his best efforts, his kicks really didn't do much! He watches disappointedly as the prints wash along with the decades of grime. Crap! His sneakers just barely dodge the puddle of green sludgy water. Ah, no paint flakes, though? After the waterskin empties, his finger lowers to the slightly clearer lettering; there's holes. Maybe there used to be attachable letters? He counts them.
"_____ ___ _______ Bakery!"
Too many words damaged and forgotten by the sun.. Everything before Bakery! just held up like a big blur. He sighs. "This is an old wax finish, hasnae been touched in years.. Though.. Hm." Straightening from his crouch, he changes from his whispering voice and hollers to everyone. “Hey guys, this place hus super antique stuff!” Good thing he had friends that got him into exercise, as he wouldn't have been able to hold up the sign so high like this! “There’s gotta be more inside–we can sell it fur loads! Let’s get back our gas money!! Ghn…” Just a bit higher.. There! Lexi's voice overrides another, fainter one. “WOOO!” He sprints with the sign and suddenly lets go when he has the momentum, slamming his hands over his ears before it clashes through the closest window–careful aiming as to not hit anyone, he gets the first window on the front door's right. SLAM, SMASH.
He claps his hands then throws a fist into the air, feeling like he'd just hit a homerun! "GYAHAHAHA~!!"

What Gio seesThere were so many windows hugging the building.. All dressed in these dusty umber curtains that resembled an old lady's skirt. When Gio got close, they could made out the long faded plaid patterns, almost invisible due to age. The slivers of daylight through the leaves made all the smudges and stains on the window’s glass and curtains opaque, even if you had your hands umbella your eyes. If they look directly down, they could make out torn floorboards. Dusty, full of loosened screws. Hazards.
The curtains above Gio shifted, presumably from the slight draft, but it didn't seem to match the pace of the wind...
4 windows to the right of the front door is when their attention to the ground pays off, but not in a key. A hint of blood red and snow white, something peeks from a peanut plant.
A miniature white mitten the size of a fingertip, connected to some overly long red arm. It comes free easily out of the leaves when pulled. Though it's quite torn now, what Gio was staring at became more and more baffling. Unfortunately, it may have familiar to them, as well as everyone else.
A doll with long cloth limbs, brown hair, pointed ears and a hat. It looks to the side mischievously..

NEW ITEM ACQUIRED!
elf on the shelf.png
An elf on the shelf… Its stuffing falls out like crumbs in your hand.

Click Clack. The window opens.
The distant sound of a woman humming..

windowapollo.pngwindowapollos.png

A boy that couldn't be above the age of 10 spots Gio just before he's about to leap out. The kid dawns eye bags, caveman hair, pajamas and sketchers that lit up as he stuck his leg out the window. "...!" Wait--the building was dangerous, what the hell was a kid doing here?! His mouth draws open with disbelief and anger, revealing missing buck teeth. His irises flick from the elf on the shelf then back onto Gio like he can't decide which one to be more angry at. "What adult plays with dumb toys..?" He mutters, like somehow GIO was the one who had to do some explaining. "Get out of here, I don't need more--," his eyes widen as they catch something behind Gio. "WOOOOO!" His limbs flail to get his leg back inside.
SLAM,
his little hands had come up to slam the window shut,
SMASH,
glass shattering comes from nearby, three windows down to the right. It's in the direction of everyone else, safe and far away. An electric purple blur indicates the source of the noise is that annoyingly loud man--what did he do?!
The kid doesn't even look, just quickly gets to work; the window's handles from inside are tied down with curtains. The kid gives Gio one more glare, sticks out his tongue before he runs off to the right and out of sight.

"GYAHAHAHA~!!"
Lexi bends over and clutches his knees, grinning shakily. "Whew.. Ben too long!" After wiping his forehead sweat with a leather sleeve(yuck!), he turns back to everyone with a thumbs up and a wink. "That good?"
The smell of banana and wheat permeate the air through the now-broken window. The humming has stopped.
Warning: Setting details will seem inconsistent, but we will surely get the bakery I've made a map of after the setup.

Last edited:

they said i couldn't...

gelato

Giovanni
mood
outfit

• blank

It was a fixer-up. And that was being kind. The building did have a nice vibe to it, and they could imagine it being a well-put-together bakery at one point, and maybe it could be again. If Gio had money, perhaps they could simply, buy the bakery and make it his own. Sure, it was a small town and all but, everyone has to start somewhere. Maybe such fine quality baked goods in such a small area could be the appeal after all, like an escape from the big crowded city where you feel you can’t even enjoy a slice.

As they stepped back from a window, trying to see as much as he could, he eyed the curtains inside that moved, odd, raising an eyebrow as they tried to look inside one more time, seeing, again nothing but the floor boards torn up. So they turned their attention back to the ground, where he started, seeing the pug that Theo had proud with him, smiling at the cute pug before red and white caught his attention.

The curious Italian squared down next to the plant, tilting his head as he reached in, praying for no spiders or other bugs to surprise him as he pulled out…something. His face dropped as he looked at the now very easily identifiable elf on the shelf where the whites weren’t pure white anime and the red was dirty, torn apart but hopefully natural, stuffing falling to the ground as he simply, stared at it. It was horrifying, to say the least, and only caused them to question everything. Why was it out here? Who did it belong to? How did it end up out here? Why is it here at a bakery? Why an elf on a shelf of ALL things? Just as he was about to stand, a window opening caused Gio to jump, letting out what could only be described as a squeak as they looked up toward the new senses.

Someone, humming and…a young boy? Eyes wide in confusion as they simply, stared at the kid, now completely forgetting that he was holding one of the worst things humans have invented. When Gio looked inside, they would say it was far from habitable for anyone to live in, for an adult let alone a kid. However, if Gio could, they would also try to live out of there if it meant staying as far away from his family, as personally.

"What adult plays with dumb toys..?" Their eyes went back to the torn-up doll then back up to the boy as he slowly stood up, shaking his head, as if to say it wasn’t his.

"Get out of here, I don't need more--," They were cut off by the sound of someone shouting followed quickly by the kid scrambling inside and the shattering of glass. Gio winced at the sounds, reaching his hand out to try and maybe, open the window from this side only to see it tired and the kid sticking his tongue out.

“What…did I do?” They mumbled to themself, then looked down towards everyone else, back at the doll, and simply, tucked it into a pocket, quickly going to the front where everyone else would be, seeing the Scottish Cindy-Lou Who was the cause of the chaos happening. It made sense and Gio looked at the, well, now open window.

“I…there’s someone in there for god sake!” Gio would say sternly, honestly concerned about the rude child, and, was the loudest and clearest they would hear from the quiet boy. Gio was also on a mission. The kid was saying something he didn’t need more of something, which caught Gio’s attention, and he needed answers. His belongings by this point were completely abandoned as Gio, shockingly, would climb through the window so… elegantly opened by the Scottish man.

“H-hello? Sorry…sorry for intruding I..there um, a lot of us…here and…um..” he started to say, his anxiety taking back over as he stumbled over his words, and the window, cutting his hands on the glass, only wincing slightly and hits…baggier that normal clothing getting caught slightly. If it wasn’t clear to anyone, Gio was, on a mission. They say signs of life inside, unintentionally, and more importantly, needed answers as to what the hell the letter was about.

coded by weldherwings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back