Quests & Missions

TommyGun15

Teh Scawyest Wulf
(Quick Pre-face.  This tab is for any quests or missions, not just this one.  If anyone wants to run their own quest you're free to use this tab.  Standard formatting applies, and you don't have to make character sheets for NPCs unless you really feel the need to.)

The Headmistress's Office

@folclor @shadowstrikr25 @Grim Wraithe Stjerna

James sat in Nishira's office waiting for the others to get back from their preparations.  He looked over to the headmistress somehwat nervously.  Despite his lessons in dark magic from her, he couldn't help but feel a shivering in his spine whenever he was in her prescence.

"So...  Here goes nothing I guess..."

Headmistress' Office

@TommyGun15 @folclor

Reagan had quickly whipped up a few smoke bombs that would allow them a quick escape should it be needed. She swapped out her daggers with regular ones and added her sword to the ensemble. She quickly double checked everything, tossing her goggles away, knowing they might blow her cover. After triple checking to make sure she had everything she needed, she went to the Headmistress' office. She quickly walked in and sat down on the floor, waiting. "I'm about 95% sure I've got everything I'll need."

James smiled at Reagan a bit nervously, knowing that she probably still hated his guts.  He politely stood from his chair and offered it to her to sit in.

"Hey Reagan...  I'm sorry about a few days ago.  I... haven't been feeling myself lately."

James didn't verbally elaborate on that, but his eyes flicked over to the Headmistress, and he shivered slightly.

"Mistress Imalia and Why'nn had a long talk with me, and we're trying to fix the damage I caused."

James offered to shake Reagan's hand.

"Can we just... start over.  I'm not asking you to forgive me for what I've done, but I'll really need your help in the coming weeks, and I don't want what happened in the past to prevent us from working together in the future."

Nishira's Office

@folclor @TommyGun15 @shadowstrikr25

Grim stood in the doorway, watching the two try and reconcile their differences. 

He had managed to discuss things with Violet and the body of his bother. His longbow and quiver slung over his shoulder, his old axes resting comfortably on his hips. He would wait at the doorway for the two to finish talking before entering. He was ready to get this started, his balance and coordination back to normal. 

Headmistress' Office

@TommyGun15 @folclor @Grim Wraithe Stjerna

Reagan looked at James, confused as to why he was offering her a chair when she had already seated herself on the floor. Still, she listened as he spoke, raising an eyebrow the entire time. 'Wow. You think the Headmistress is up to something? I thought it was obvious what with how she stops me from planeswalking but I mean when you can't go to other worlds at will I guess these things escape you.' As he offered his hand to shake, Reagan eyed it suspiciously, checking to see if he had armed a spell and was planning to use it.

Seeing that he was offering an earnest handshake, she was slightly more on edge. She stood up, looking James in the eye. "It's your world and you've got the only means of escape. It would be stupid to try and sabotage you, personal feeling notwithstanding." She then looked at his hand and back to him, rolling her eyes. "Really?" She held up her right hand, and let sparks fly from the palm. "It's like you want to get shocked or something." She sat back down on the floor, not shaking his hand.

The Headmistess' Office

Grim smiled and shook his head. "Can't win 'em all." Leaning on the door frame, the former otter shrugged and stepped into the office. Taking the open chair, smiling at James. "Thank you." Giving Reagan a wink as he sat, relaxing in the office. His hands folded behind his head and looked around. 

"So, how's this gonna work?" He looked to James and Reagan then to the Headmistress. "Are you gonna go first? Do I go first? Does she go first? Through the portal I mean. I'm not sure how this squad thing works." While his speech was slightly accelerated, everyone would be able easily understand him. His posture was relaxed, like a warrior who has been in many battles, just waiting for the next one to start. 

3e4e7c7a33176bbf0bfb181ca04ec78d.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Jame shrugged, a bit uncertain of that himself.

"I guess it would probably be best for me to go through first, since I'm more familiar with my world.  Once we're there, we'll spend a day trading a few goods for the money to buy a cart, some turnips, and hopefully to hire a boat to Riva.  Speaking of which..."

James reached into his bag and pulled out some dark grey cloaks.

"These cloaks are the traditional garb of Riva.  We'll blend in better if we wear them."

James tossed a cloak each to Reagan and Grim.

"And now...  we wait for Why'nn.  Don't know where she went, but we really can't leave until she gets here."

Headmistress's Office

@TommyGun15 @shadowstrikr25 @Grim Wraithe Stjerna

Why'nn entered carefully, inclining her head slightly.  "I apologize.  I needed to commune with my god."  Her bag was not out of place for the setting and she approached the other three.  "Are we leaving immediately?"

"Yes," Nishira answered.  She held out a bag of various native currencies to the Rivan Prince.  "Take this.  It should help with the expense."  The lich smiled slightly.  "When you're ready I'll open the portal and the four of you will go through.  Don't worry, James.  I won't sully my feet with the dirt of your world."

James smiled back at her, showing a few more teeth than he would've normally.  The book's influence wasn't entirely gone from him, and the fact that she'd all but outright insulted his world made him angry.

"Of course Headmistress, you're too kind.  I am ready to leave when everyone else is."

James turned to the others.

"Does everyone have everything they need?  Once we head in, we can't get back until our mission is complete.  So if there's anything out think you might need, now is your last chance to go get it."

James himself had packed the basic necessities.  A tent, a backpack, a bedroll, a belt pouch, a flint and steel, an iron pot, a set of narwhal horn dinnerware, soap, ten torches, enough trail rations for five days), and a waterskin.  The dinner set was a gift his parents had given him before his banishment, and in a pinch it could be sold, although he'd rather avoid that if he could.  He hoped that everyone else was prepared, because the less time and money they had to waste on buying necessary equipment that someone had forgotten to bring, the better.[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)][/COLOR]

Nishira's Office

The polymorphrd augmented otter accepted the cloak, tucking it into his pack. Sitting back watching the little tension play itself out. He leaned in close to Reagan and whispered at a level that only she would be able to hear with her enhanced hearing. His lips barely even moving. "You have something more exciting them smoke bombs right?" He sat up looking at the young women smirking and shrugging. Expecting her to reply in a nonverbal manner. 

"I'm all set." In his pack he had very little. A few trail rations, about three days worth. Flint, the steel was his axes and daggers, a wooden tankard, along with a wooden bowl. A simple pick and fork. And a pair of flasks containing whisky and a water skin. Everything and anything else he needed he could find from the land. He had survived, and indeed thrived this exact way for most of his life before coming to the academy. 

Headmistress' Office

@folclor @Grim Wraithe Stjerna @TommyGun15

Reagan stretched as they waited, going over her inventory in her head. 'Tent, bedroll, knives, sword, smokebombs, black powder bombs, waterskin, fork, collapsible pole for beatings and vaulting, bowl, spare capacitor, rope, Elec-Wing MK II. I think that's everything.' Reagan subtly nodded at Grim's question, having heard him before she went to make the explosives. Even if she would have rather made something with multiple uses. "I think I'm good to go." She quietly hoped that James' world wouldn't throw any snakes at her.

Headmistress's Office

Why'nn still had her bag packed.  Bedroll, books, spell components, rations, waterskin, normal scythe, bag of holding...  She smiled slightly and nodded, indicating that she was, in fact, ready to go.

Nishira shrugged and performed the incantation, bringing forth a portal into James's world.  She stood back.  "All right, children.  Play nice.  Don't do anything I wouldn't."  She laughed, then.  "Oh, who am I kidding?  Spread as much destruction as you can manage."

Nishira's Office

Grim caught the subtle gesture and winked at her as he stood, shouldering his pack. He extended a hand (Such creepy thing on my arm) to help her up. He watched the portal open and looked around the group, gauging their reactions. Grim chuckled and shook his head, almost saying "And what does that exclude?" when the lich added her last statement. He nodded his head and would've touched the tip of his tail to this forehead, but instead tapped two fingers to his brow. He made sure he was right behind James in the order through the portal. It wouldn't do if they walked into a fight or unexpected violent act and the leader (And exit plan) got killed right away.

Headmistress' Office

Reagan grabbed onto Grim's hand to quickly lift herself up off the floor. Reagan's reaction to the portal was a soft "Huh. So that's how it looks from the outside." The Headmistress' parting statement got Reagan thinking. 'Wow. She is definitely Rakdos. Didn't know they could be so... composed. Usually it's just them doing things whenever.' She got in line behind Grim in case James tried anything and so she knew the portal actually worked. Plus it would help if a fight instantly broke out, however unlikely that was. Or if there were snakes, however unlikely that was.

James cast a sidelong glare at Nishira before rolling his eyes and stepping through the portal.

The portal opened up into a dark alleyway, paved with cobblestones, down which one could see a busy cobblestone street where people, horses, and carriages paced back and forth.  The whole alley stank like human waste, and the reason for this was made apparent as an old, hag-faced woman dumped a chamberpot out the window, where the foul-smelling contents ran down to the sides of the convex alley floor and flowed into an open grate that led to the city sewers.  As the others began to arrive, James looked around the alley and made a face of disgust.

"Okay, the first thing I'm doing when we get back is figuring out how indoor plumbing works, then when I'm King of Riva, I'm making it mandatory to put toilets in every building."

Suddenly, James grit his teeth and clutched his ears as the sound of other sorcerer's Will assulted his ears.  The others were lucky, they wouldn't be able to hear it.

"Damn, that's louder than I remembered."

Nishira's Office / Shit-stained-cesspool alley

Grim followed James through the portal, and the overwhelming stench of human night soil, excrement, and other vulgar wastes. The smell nearly knocked him off his feet, before the trial of grasses the smell would have been very offensive to him. But now his heightened sense of smell was blinding. It was like a literal wall of smell tried to forcibly breach his nose and mind ALL at once. 

Only having enough sense to take a step to the side, he leaned on the wall for support as attempted to contain the violent evacuation of his stomach his body thought was a good idea. "BLOODY HELL!" He doubled over and clutched at his gut. "Cor! I may just honk right here." He spoke in the soft tones of someone on the verge of vomiting. 

He looked to James as her regained control of himself and his composure. "You humans are a manky lot. Tossing your effluent in the street!" Readjusting his pack and longbow. "Even the vermin ain't that grotty!" The disgust and anger were plain on his face as he moved to look on the other side if the portal making sure no one was coming up behind them, doing so he did not see James clutch his ears in pain. 

Headmistress's Office/Alley

@TommyGun15 @Grim Wraithe Stjerna @shadowstrikr25

Why'nn moved through the portal and immediately covered her nose.  "This is like an outlander city," she groaned, shaking her head.  In Thay they had some sort of plumbing (she didn't understand it) masterminded by the followers of Gond.  When she and Father went to Arabel it seemed they had something quite similar but some of the other outlander cities and towns did not and they, too, made her retch.  As she had her eyes closed and was attempting not to vomit, she didn't notice James's pain either.

The sounds were similar to an outlander city as well and she longed for the sounds of Thay.  Well, perhaps not now that it was at war with itself but she longed for the peaceful sounds of Bezantur.  The chanting, the tread of feet on cobbled stone, the occasional sound of the undead.  And the smell in the streets there was of sweet incense and gifts to the gods, not human waste.  The girl was not at all happy with this introduction into James's world.

Headmistress' Office/Literal shithole

Reagan, seeing that they weren't disintegrated, walked through the portal and immediately regretted it. She instantly covered her nose to try and prevent the smell from getting it but the damage was already done. Her stomach began doing flips trying to empty it's contents on the street as her eyes watered. "Hey, something we can agree on." She quickly walked into the street to get away from the smell, finding that effort so unfortunately futile. Still, she saw the crowds moving and was reminded of Ravnica, with it's constantly bustling cityscape. 'One of these days, I'm going back there.' 

Tol Borune

James rolled his eyes and shook his head as the others began to gag and complain about the smell.  What the hell did they think he meant when he said his world wasn't very technologically advanced?  Added to the headache, this put him in a somewhat foul temper.

"Well, are you really surprised that the Headmistress dropped us into a literal shitstorm?  Why do you think I packed soap?"

James snapped his fingers and a barrier appeared above the group, just in time for another bucket of human waste to be dropped on them.  Thankfully, the barrier kept them from being splashed, although it did nothing for the smell.

"This place appears to be the lower quarter of Tol Borune, the capital of Tolnedra and one of the largest trading centers in the continent.  Once we get out of the slums and into the Merchant's Quarter, we can see about getting ourselves a cart and cargo.  In the meantime..."

James balled his right hand into a fist, and it began to glow with a bright blue light as he gathered all his Will into the spell he was about to cast.  He then hurled a ball of blue energy into the sky, where it flew south at a rapid pace.  The barrier above their heads vanished as James began to walk out of the alley, stumbling slightly as he walked.

"That should last for a week or so... keep the sorcerers busy and off of our trail.  They're already moving as we speak.  They'll reach the city in three days, so we dan't have time to fool around here."

Tol Borune

@TommyGun15 @shadowstrikr25 @folclor

Grim, having regained control of his stomach, for the most part, shook his head at James' proud and angry defense of his world. "Listen mate, I'm from a zero tech world, we all have ways of dealing with shit." He grinned and smacked him on the shoulder, about as gently as he had in the headmistress office. 

He was grateful for the shield overhead, and quickly followed the key figure of the group out of the alley. Looking around, trying to gauge what was normal for the medieval city and what would be someone watching them. 

Tol Borune

Reagan stood at the edge of the street, clearing her nose of the offensive stench, her stomach steadying itself. "Speak for yourself. Smells worse that the Golgari farms." She then realized that, due to her enhanced senses, it would smell even worse. She internally vowed to forever avoid sewers and the Golgari if possible. "3 days? Your definition of little time is not my definition of little time. Weird mana-less spellslingers." Reagan was indeed ready to get moving, wanting to get this thing done as soon as possible.

Tol Borune

James sighed and stepped out into the street, sticking to the edges to avoid getting trampled by a cart or carriage on it's way to either the Merchant's Quarter or the Royal Quarter.  He'd been to the city a few times, although he'd never had the chance to actually look arround at street level.  That said, he'd seen enough maps of the city that he could find his way to the Merchant's Quarter by following the sun.

As he walked, he talked about the city.

"Yes, well most places do here too, but this is the poorest part of the most populated city on this continent.  Here, people dump their waste into back alleys, and the sloped cobblestone pavement lets the liquids flow into the sewer.  Every night, sweepers come through and wash any remaining solid waste into the sewers as well.  Be glad Nishira didn't drop us in there.  In addition to smelling like feces, we'd probably have muckrakers trying to rob us every five minutes."

Tol Borune

Why'nn followed James closely, keeping her gaze active, ready to attack any who might dare to pick pocket or attack them at unawares.  While she listened to James's words, she was mostly ignoring it.  There was no need to remember that information at the moment.  "Sounds like they should use the undead for that work."  However, she kept her words quiet, unsure how the people of this world felt about Thay's favorite work force.

Tol Borune

James leaned close to Why'nn. 

"They don't have undead here, and slavery is publicly illegal.  All the menial work has to be done by someone, and the city will pay to have the streets cleaned, so it just kind of works out."

The Lower Quarter was a run down place, the number of proper brick and mortar houses dwarfed by the number of ramshackle huts and shanties built on roofs, in alleys, and some even hanging off the sides of buildings.  The poor were packed into whatever spaces they could find, familes of as many as ten cramed into living spaces smaller than the dorms at the academy.  Only two types of legitimate businesses appeared to exist in this place.  Small, run-down stalls selling food stale or rotten food and random supplies of universally poor quality, and prostitutes, who seemed to wink at the group out of every other alleyway, cheap makeup and cheaper dresses over thin, filthy bodies with faces that grinned green and blackened smiles at them.  

James refused to look at any of these women or stalls, though once in a while he did eyeball men staring at them out of the corners of alleys, and once while passing a small side street he struck out with his staff, striking a man who'd been hiding behind the corner of a building.  As the man back off, a rusty dagger slipped from his grasp and another dozen or so men darted from various hiding spots to dash for cover before the city guard could be called.

Eventually the group came to the gate to the Merchant's Quarter.  It was a massive gate, manned by over a dozen armed soldiers.  The iron portcullis was at least 10 feet tall and surrounded by a 30 foot stone wall, which extended in either direction along the city's diameter.  No one was going through the gate, as the people in the Merchant's Quarter had no interest in the Lower Quarter, and those in the Lower Quarter had no money to afford anything in the Merchant's Quarter.

"Behold the gate to the Merchant's Quarter, a physical representation of the caste system that dominates Tolnedrian society."

James shook his head slowly and began to walk through the gate, only to have a guard clap a gauntleted hand on his shoulder.

"Halt.  What business does a pack of whelps like you have in the Merchant's Quarter."

The guard punctuated the question by shoving James backwards.  James landed with a thud on the ground, the wind knocked from his lungs.  The guard and two of his fellows moved to block the entrance to the Merchant's Quarter.

"Go back to rat hunting, and keep your stench to your part of the city."  The guard grinned.  "Unless you can pay the entrance fee that is."

Tol Borune

Why'nn's eyes narrowed, but she was familiar with this sort of thing.  She'd watched guards treat outlanders like this at the tax stations in Thay.  Therefore, considering she'd procured at least a bit of the money, she stepped forward.  "I am to assume you do this to all who pass through.  Very well, it is your custom.  That being said: if you attack any of our group again I shall free your heads from your necks and the children here will find several new balls to kick through the muck.  Now, what is the entrance fee?"  She pulled out a leather coin pouch.  Those of this world wouldn't know it, but it was made in Thay, one of her few possessions from before she came to the academy.  It held more coins than it appeared to, but she did not begin to pull currency out before they answered.

Her scythe was hidden away in her bag of holding.  It hung at her side, seeming as a normal, brown leather satchel.  Its strap was slung across her body, making it difficult to grab from her.  Otherwise, she is dressed in the clothing given her in the headmistress's office.  Her backpack, something Father gifted her, is full of her other travel supplies.  Only so much could be stored in her bag without worry of being punctured by the scythe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back