Experiences Question for all RPers~

JustYourFantasy

Yiling Patriarch
How long have you been RPing and what got you into it? :D
I RPed pretty consistently for... 10 years. Last few years I've dropped the ball considerably. >.< I blame writer's block and life in general. xD

About 11 years now, I think. The only periods in which I’ve stopped roleplaying were a few days after I left my first site, and recently a few months I believe where it was just one thing after another keeping me from roleplaying.

I first started because of a fandom, I discovered a season of Digimon I didn’t know about existed, and decided to watch it, following which I had a big craving to write about the ideas I had for stories in that fandom. This led me to a site whose rules and mechanics I really loved, and I joined and discovered RP there.

I was twenty when I was first introduced. When I was twenty five-ish I got really into it competitively. I'd often have my own forum's like rpnation to role play my story. It was a lot of effort and I love it but now as technology is advancing so fast it's hard to do that. I role play now to watch others be creative. I love being sort of like a conduit for creativity and I love watching people evolve. When I used to work in the school system I was really interested in making this role playing thing utilized in a program of sorts. I read a paper recently of someone utilizing dungeons and dragons in programs and I was like oh my gosh yes this is catching on. So, I'm sort of peddling an idea of going back to seeing if I can create a program in my city.

This is usually what drives me to do things. I'm really motivated by that. Helping others be creative, being supportive to that, and watching a story grow is very magical. When you see people who really are struggling find a solution to their problems through being creative

it's pretty magical.

Last edited:
I was 8 and joined a western type show amino and then creepy-pasta and it went on from there

I started when I was young. So, including childhood live action roleplaying I've been doing it for 25 years. I got into it with my best friend from childhood, and it all started with Pokemon where we dressed up as Ash, or as close as we could, and used plastic Poke Balls to "catch" imaginary Pokemon as we journeyed around the neighborhood and our local elementary school, as you do. Then it evolved, no poke-pun intended, to Legend of Zelda, DBZ, Yugioh, Jurassic Park, anything that was popular, basically. Started online RP'ing in 2009, and been doing it ever since.

Cheers!

Officially? Started around 2020ish. Unofficially? When I was a kid I’d RP both irl and online but I wouldn’t really say it was real writing.

Officially? Started around 2020ish. Unofficially? When I was a kid I’d RP both irl and online but I wouldn’t really say it was real writing.
Yeah, I think your right that a lot of our first introduction to role playing isn't really "roleplaying" in text based sense.
Although, to think back on it myself, you do a lot of role playing when your a kid playing games. So in that sense I've been role playing a really long time because my imaginations always been really super wild. Although, text based structured games, much later.

I was homeless and too poor to use money for most other sorts of entertainment honestly.

I thought and discraded videogames and books for various reasons, among other things. I brainstormed and thought "is there like a free choose your own adventure type of thing online?".

The rest is history.

I was homeless and too poor to use money for most other sorts of entertainment honestly.

I thought and discraded videogames and books for various reasons, among other things. I brainstormed and thought "is there like a free choose your own adventure type of thing online?".

The rest is history.
I loved choose your own adventure growing up! Where I was not homeless, I grew up really really isolated and understand the limitations. I used to spend a lot of time in libraries
When I read the homeless part, I must say, I was a little taken aback and there is nothing wrong with mentioning it. Life stories are real,but I really I really hope you have a stable home now! I don't know, I apologies, I just had to say that and send good vibrations all around. Super glad role playing helped you in some way that's very awesome

I started in middle school (28 now, so it's been a while!) And it was my group of friends that got me into role play (or collaborative writing). It started with Fandom anime but has since expanded.
High fantasy is still my favorite though.

I've been roleplaying on and off for the past decade. Reading fanfiction was what actually got me into roleplaying.

roughly fifteen years now! warrior cats and pokemon are what got me into it.

How long have you been RPing and what got you into it? :D
I RPed pretty consistently for... 10 years. Last few years I've dropped the ball considerably. >.< I blame writer's block and life in general. xD
Since it came out on AOL forums. I have been playing since ICQ. Sadly role-playing has changed and I stink at it now.

Role-playing has got better, posts longer then 800 words, and sadly I have not got better with time. Roleplay changes every 13 years. That's a good thing.

Dedicated Rp started on Deviantart Groups for me which was--- Oh man 2007. Made my first poorly written oc of many too come. 😂
Group was set in a high school where the students were separated into 4 elemental classes; Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. I chose fire for mine. Still have that oc to this day even though she is archived, kinda. :D

Last edited:
I first started RPing on the Neopets forums when I was a wee thirteen year old. I eventually moved on to Gaia Online, then from there I did most of my RPing in MMORPGs such as World of Warcraft.

I have links to my old Gaia Online RPs, which I struggle to read because I cringe so hard at my baby writing skills lol. Can't bring myself to delete those links and pretend they never happened though.

Gosh, that makes me pause to think. I started when I was fourteen back when Rping was finding its feet in a niche setting. I started on a Kingdom Hearts forum doing a bunch of original and fanfiction rps while learning about the world outside of my town. I got hooked on writing cause when I started I was terrible, like on a cosmic level terrible, but I kept at it. Luckily I also joined when a very passionate nurturing community was thriving on the site though a few years in the old guard withered and I realized I had to move on as well.

Which landed my feet in RoleplayerGuild before the infamous guild fall situation that hit the site hard into a recession. Before that is when I confidently attempted to be a legit GM though that was also around the same time I joined the military and started a constant period of breaks from rping by the time I finally got myself situated the Guild Fall happened and it was time to sail again.

I ended upon Iwakus shores which was a short-term stay as... it got rather out of control what that sight started as and wanted to be, but before that chaos I did genuinely meet a lot of good people who also jumped ship hilariously.

That 19 year old journey say me softly float to here to regain that passion for writing, and I did slip temporarily yet as of late I feel on top of my game so I am happy I stayed on it.

neopets and other, smaller forums and such for me! i think i started before neopets-- i remember using places like xat and freewebs/webs.com to roleplay as well, and my neopets account was created when i was 9 (i had a consent form so i could post on the boards.) i wish id been the right age for roblox and gacha life and stuff lol because i think that would have been a lot of fun. i didnt do a lot of roleplaying on club penguin or games or anything because i preferred text-based stuff. i eventually moved into tumblr/discord rp, but ive also been around reddit, small forums, etc. and i have had a lot of fun doing it.

it genuinely warms my heart to see so many ppl who started young on goofy forums and stuff... i also started roleplaying way as a young'un and really before i should have, writing all kinds of crazy fun stuff, wolves, vampires and other supernatural creatures, horses, warrior cats, humans, all kinds of things. no rules, absolutely atrocious "im 12 so buzz off"-type prose, and i LOVED every second of it! while its super embarrassing now to come across places where my writing still exists (though imo luckily its few and far between) it is kind of nice to look back at it all and see how much ive improved in terms of... everything. though more importantly i am very thankful for all the people who put up with me being fairly bad at it and wrote excitedly with me anyway and allowed me to practice and ultimately get better through maintaining my passion instead of stomping on me or otherwise putting me down because i was... uh... not very good. haha

i feel like i am a lot better at it now and at a place i feel like i can be proud of, but i neverrrr would have gotten here were it not for those people. if i had been treated truly poorly i think id be too anxious to ever try again, but now i write every day, and not just for rp reasons, but also fanfiction, as well as regular nonfiction-- diary entries, book summaries, etc-- and i just... would not have the confidence to do that were it not for ppl being nice to me when i was starting out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back