System/Mechanics Puzzles, Hacking, Curses, Etc!

voracity

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Odd title, not sure if I'm shooting ideas out or just asking for confirms.

In science fiction pieces - there is often a hacker role for a player. How do GMs traditionally allow them to play without micromanaging them? In my own preparations, I've been toying with the idea of coding an actual minigame for hacker players to try and bypass, or even just giving them the actual ability to play as if they're rifling through a cracked root directory to mine out a specific folder or txt file to read and share with the other players - who wouldn't be able to access it. Is it probably really unnecessary? Sure, maybe that's why it's never been done before. But even with the smallest, most basic of hacker things: having them fork out a map, a blueprint of the building - has anyone tried to make that ... hacker-exclusive for some intense "we need to trust this guy, like we really need to trust this guy or we'll never make it out of here lmao" feelings? How do you generally allow the hacker to play without ... really just making their role less significant than say, a front-line run and gunner in your roleplays? Or worse, PMing them and telling them what to do.

In fantasy, what are some things people have done in regards to curse-breaking? Even as a kid, I've always tried to research into 'how do people curse break' - but first you needed foundations, like how your roleplay's magic actually works, can certain people see threads, are all completed magic spells set in insignias that you shouldn't disturb and break? At the written level, assuming the previous world laws hold, then it's as simple as having an education where you can read and pick out what exactly had been knitted together to make the curse (firebomb+wrapping+venom drips) , and cutting it thread by thread (drown the fire spell, superheat the venom, cut the wrapping) before it unravels altogether. But has anyone tried to make an actual game out of it? A puzzle, even to let curse breakers have a go at actually breaking a lock? It could be as simple as 'turn all the dots to green' but touching one would turn 125 red, and touching the other turns 346 red instead. Or making sure you 'uncurse' something in a specific order, or matching key and locks together ... but then I guess most of it still is writable.

I'm not sure how to describe why I want to do this. It's like being in a position where, wow I can lead the team around this place we're sneaking around! But ... shit, where does the GM want us to go? Where should we stay out of? Instead of having to guess and ask all that, they just need to stay in character, do the job they delightfully signed up for, and they'll get all the answers they really need without a straight-foward 'can you just bring the team to the 4th room, jump scene it'. Then again, I guess a lot of things can go wrong ...

With the ability to code on this site, what are some other things people have done, or want to do? I'm curious - especially if its been done, did it crash and burn?

So usually just tell the person they have to fail is the easiest way to do this. Especially if the goal is to build suspense. Tell them (either directly or in the OOC).

This is attempt 1 doing X. The group will fail their objective. So figure out a fun way for that to happen and then just go from there.

Ah, win the fight and let the unskippable cutscene tear it down in flames approach. Classic.

Might be worth looking at Shadowrun or Cyberpunk 2020 - I believe those both have hacking rules, although how good they are is up for debate. Cryptomancer is probably also worth a look.

When it comes to curses, it varies heavily by your setting and what you want to do with it. If we're talking about sound like traps, D&D and the like have no end of examples (although a lot of them are beaten with Counterspell or whathaveyou). Personally I like going with folkloric curses with a structure of:

Triggering transgression
Curse effects
Obscure prophetic formula to break the curse
Finding clever ways to meet those criteria.

Gaunter O'Dimm's relentless horseshit in the Witcher 3 is a pretty good example.

My general rule is that if failure is not as narratively interesting as success, I don't even make it a possibility.

I dont think Ive seen people build minigames for skill checks but I guess you could just set up a pile of drobbox folders and have players look for something among dummy files... but it is more of an ARG territory.

Here is the thing, if an interaction only affects one player might not be worth it? Imagine if every time you had to cast a fireball you had to build a small puzzle. Cool, but it doesnt bring anything to the actual roleplay. It can be skipped.

Take dnd combat. It gives characters an opportunity to interract with each other, teamwork and all that. It can contribute to the story.

If the most interesting thing about a mechanic is whether it suceeds or fails, I think you are better off just replacing it with dice checks or gm dms.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back