• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Pumpkin Spice and Vampire Bites

graytful

criminal mischeif
Closed 1x1 for Style Kella Style Kella and graytful graytful

Setting: The small ocean-side town of Mistvale located in the Pacific Northwest.

Plot: When two girls in a small town meet at the start of a cozy Fall they think they're in for a sleepy autumn romance, but everything is not what it seems. A strange shopkeep moving to town causes tensions run high between the shopkeeper and the town's oldest family, the Vanderbilts, to which one of the girls belong. Bizarre happenings begin to plague the quiet town of Mistvale, and townspeople begin to notice when things start to go bump in the night.

Characters so far:
rp.jpg
Ellie "Luna" Prismith // 23 // Human

dd46gt3-fb43f18e-0e2d-43cc-b425-36f24c99a381.png
Ambrosia Vanderbilt // 200 // Vampire​

It was a typical autumn day, the trees were shedding their browns and yellows as the cool breeze plucked away anything loose. Those raging temperatures from summer have been swapped with fairly consistent mid to low 70's, Fahrenheit that is. Smells of baking pies, candied apples, spices, and more decorated the town of Mistvale as it began to get into the full swing of Fall. For Ellie this was the perfect time of year, the weather did not demand anything, indoors and outdoors were equal, and the colors and smells tickled her nose like a feather. She was currently walking down the main street in a green cloth jacket that fell just to her knees. Her jeans and red sneakers poked from beneath, adding some contrast to her outfit, she was not the best at color choice but she did not let that stop her.
On both sides her there were shops, from general stores to small coffee shops. A few hardware and antiques shops broke the stream of them, but all had decorations. Leaves, skeletons, pumpkins, they all adorned windows and doors. Everywhere she looked she saw some form of Fall and she loved, Now, if only she could spot what she was looking for. She always forgot where the bookstore was, it was hidden between a coffee shop and a bakery, those signs obscuring the books. She had an idea for a new article, one regarding the changing colors and how it can affect the thoughts and feelings of a person. For the most part she felt people knew this, but she had no examples or research to go off of.
After passing it twice and the owner, a middle aged man named Sam Lanch, came out to call her. "Luna! Are you looking for this place again?" The man called out with a small chuckle, a small nickname friends and close acquaintances called her by. It caught her attention and resulted in a sigh of defeat as she realized she missed it yet again.
"I am. Thank you, Mr. Lanch." Ellie said softly as she jogged to the door, a small smile on her face. "It's a good thing you always keep an eye out when you're expecting me." As she entered she made her way to the aisles of books, simple lines and shelves of knowledge and she adored every step. She began her search for any point of reference, if she couldn't find it immediately there were computers in the back, and her laptop, once she got it charged that is.
"Gotta look out for friends and all that." Sam said as he made his way back to the desk near the door and waited.

Ambrosia had seen many autumns pass in many corners of the world over many eras, but there was nothing quite so lovely as the earth-toned spice-scented coming of the season in Mistvale. The seaside town, hardly larger than a village, carried the heavy scent of fall and the seasonal rain on the ocean air, making it even more damp and lovely. The sun stopped showing its head around October giving her the freedom to leave her familial mansion whenever she pleased. She had never taken to sleeping through the day like her mother and siblings. But her absolute favorite part of the season was the fashion. In her youth the fashion for women, especially of her standing, was exhaustingly performative. But, in modernity, she wasn't especially compelled to dress in a womanly fashion and the style of the day didn't demand it from her. Instead she could luxuriate in the soft, knitted comfort of sweaters. Yes, sweaters, fashions greatest invention. The only problem was choosing just one from her collection built up over decades. But choose she must as the day was young and she had grown quite bored of her family's company. Today she would go into town and observe her family's subjects... or... the townspeople as they were to call them now. Perhaps she would find some interesting mortal to play with, but she doubted it. Either way, she knew there would be solace in a warm cup of coffee (to hold, not to drink, of course) and a few hour at the bookstore. Over her lifetime she had probably read every book in Sam Lanch's shop, but today the bimonthly shipment of new books would arrive and she was itching for something refreshing and new.

After gazing upon her sweater collection for about thirty minutes, though it hardly felt more than five, she decided on a burnt orange jumper that faded from orange to an earthy brown. She threw the sweater on over her camisole and turned towards the mirror in her closet. Satisfied with the way the sweater complimented her black velvet jeans and blood red boots she was ready for an audience. She pulled her curly blond hair into a ponytail and walked towards her bedroom window. The window was a large circle with a little seating nook built into the sill and had a dramatic view of the grey swirling ocean crashing against the cliff side below. She stepped onto the seat, flung the window open, and hopped out. For a moment she let herself plummet, letting the ocean spray hit her cold porcelain face. And then, suddenly, she was flying. Not as a girl, but as a fluffy little vampire bat. It was time for a day on the town.
"Thank you for the free drink." Ambrosia called smugly to Ms. Atterson as the bell over the coffeeshop door jingled overhead. She could always feel the tension when she walked into an establishment owned by her parents and rented by a townsperson. Her parents had strict rules... such as never paying for services at an establishment they own. Most adults in town judges Ambrosia for her parents business tactics, but she herself was quite removed from those decisions. She was not ungrateful for the warm drink between her frigid hands as she stepped out into the funny little sidestreet that hosted the coffee shop and the bakery with the slim entrance to the bookshop nestled snuggly inbetween. Ambrosia held the coffee to her cheek as she walked next door to the entrance of Lanch's Book Bin. Another bell greeted her, this time in entry, as she walked into the familiar spot. Usually she only came here after hours, but today she was feeling adventurous.

"Ah, Miss Vanderbilt. I thought I might see you today. Unfortunately the shipment of new books is running behind schedule and won't be here for another hour..." Mr. Lanch greeted her somewhat nervouslt from behind the front counter. Ambrosia's eyes flicked over him, assessing him and this information. The bookshop was another of her parents' assets, and Mr. Lanch was techincally one of their employees. A wave of annoyance washed over Ambrosia's face.

"How... disappointing..." She muttered, almost accusingly. But then the annoyance washed away. "Very well, then I shall wait. How do you propose I entertain myself in the meantime, Mr. Lanch?" She asked. The question was almost playful, but there was danger to her tone. The man knew not to disappoint her further.

"Ah, w-well... would you look over there. Ellie Prismith just c-came in to study something or the other. A very nice girl about your age. Perhaps you'll have something in common to discuss?" He offered nervously while gesturing to a girl sitting at a desk by the door looking deep in though over some research. Ambrosia studied the girl briefly and felt a small smile on her lips. Ellie Prismith? Ambrosia had rarely encountered young people in this town as the people were made to believe she was homeschooled and she had little interest fraternizing with children. But she knew of the Prismith family and had heard passing niceties about this girl who looked wiser than her years. Perhaps she would be interesting.

"Very nice, Samuel. Call for me when the shipment arrives. I want first pick of the new selection." She commended and commanded, but cheerfully this time. She didn't dislike the man. She didn't even wish to frighten him. But she had become accustomed to her power in this town and nobody every challenged her. It was... quite boring.

With that Ambrosia confidently strode up to the girl at the desk and leaned on the edge of the table top, putting one hand on the table to steady herself and holding her coffee casually in the other. She looked down at the girl with her golden gaze and smiled inquisitively.

"What has got you so focused on that dreary old book?" Ambrosia asked teasingly.

It took roughly twenty or forty minutes of perusing the aisles, grabbing book after book that would have the slightest bit of her topic. By the time she was finished she had assembled a janga tower of texts, the tower held firmly from the bottom by her fairly medium sized hands, her fingers curled in to cage the potential wealth of information. She carefully made her way to her favorite spot in Mr. Lanch's store. Nestled near the back was a small alcove, it had a circular wall that surrounded a desk, some chairs, a small couch, and a tiny triangular window that looked out into the woods. Ellie imagined the younger kids, those in high school, would use this spot to stay secluded and do whatever it is they did. She knew from her time, which wasn't too long ago, that they used it for more...sensual things...than what it was meant for. Though, she can't be called innocent, for she shared a few deep kisses on the couch. But now she saw this as the perfect place to study and enter her own world. The desk a hard reminder of the effort she needs to put into things, the couch a symbol to relax and to live freely, and the window to the trees the means to escape and make your own place. And she still had sight of the front of the store for the most part, in case she needed to gather more tinder to fuel the curiosity inside her.

Ellie sat still as she read, her legs crossed beneath the table as her eyes scrolled past each word, absorbing every bit of information. The current book in hand was a set of research bits observing seasonal changes and how they have some affect on people. Most of the content was tables or charts with vague conclusions, but the data still aided in her article. From time to time her left hand pried away from the cover to type down a few notes, small sentences that would keep her on track when she began to write. This is what she adored, the feeling of thick cardboard or paperback between her fingers, the smell of old pages and ink, the world around her falling away as she studied. She imagined herself in an old print shop, reading over the copies before they were packaged away. Taking note of any slight misspell or ink blot, memorizing the words in her hands, the knowledge in her palms added more weight to her, not physically. but mentally,

Ellie was so enthrolled by her studies that she barely noticed the bell to the store ring, or the quiet conversation happening in the front of the store. It wasn't until she heard a voice right in front of her that she pulled herself out of her world and into reality. Before her stood a rather beautiful girl about her age, her sweater a vibrant orange, a wool sun within the shop. It clashed well with the black jeans and blonde hair, it was like a pumpkin had slimmed out and became human, not in a bad way, it was the most fall thing she ha seen and Ellie couldn't help but admire it.

To the question at hand, after a moment she answered as she observed the girl more, she seemed so familiar. She spoke calmly. her voice carrying the words gently from her lips to the ears of the pale girl before her. She saw no reason to be hostile or fearful, if anything Ellie might be the distraction. "I'm studying the affects seasonal changes have on people. For instance, your sweater, it could be your favorite color but could the fall air not have influenced your choice of it over say a blue or purple? Some people also tend to think outdoors are a better alternative to spend their day, but want to be warm at night. Romance also is affected. Why do you ask?"

Ellie knew nearly everyone in town, and certainly knew everyone her age since they all left, except this girl. She tried to piece it together, and in a moment she had. The only person this young and only family with any would be the Vanderbilts, the rich family who own nearly the whole town! And before her was their daughter, Ambrosia, a name as sweet as it sounds, inspired by the Greek Gods' food she assumed. The title and power did not change Ellie's tone, it did not stop her from speaking freely. Even if her parents warned her to always be fearful and kind to the noble family atop the hill, even if they held power, she couldn't help but be herself.

For a moment Ambrosia thought her heart leapt before she remembered she sold her heart to a demon a few decades back. The girl's voice was so soft and genuine and... kind. It had been so long since Ambrosia encountered such unconditional kindness. Ambrosia was more familiar with the girl's parents, who were the same as everyone else in the town- conditioned to have some sort of opinionated preconception of her and her family. Perhaps the girl would change her tune once Ambrosia properly introduced herself, but suddenly she found herself reluctant to take that chance. Instead, she pondered the curious subject of the girl's studies.

"Well, I chose a jumper this color to match the changing color of the season. How often do you see orange naturally outside of harvest season? But suddenly, with a spirit and cycle of its own, the earth harmoniously turns orange, from the leaves on the trees to the squash harvests in their farm plots. Perhaps fashion changes with the season because we feel some desire to be connected with nature's cycles. But..." Ambrosia paused, carefully contemplating the words of this mortal, finding the proper thread to pick at in hopes of unraveling the veil of superficial introductions and find what was deeper.

"You mentioned romance? You think it changes with the seasons, too? Curious." Ambrosia turned to face the girl more head on, her leg lifting up onto the desk, pushing some of the books aside and brushing against the girls hand. This was a most unconventional meeting indeed, but Ambrosia hated small talk and formalities. She saw this girl secluded in the back of a bookstore, bunkered down for study in a nook that smelled of teenage scandal, do contemplate something philosophical. It was absolutely alluring.

Ellie stiffened in her chair as she listened to the girl speak, her words smooth yet rumbled softly as they came out. She spoke so casually of the matter, as if she had seen it. The way she spoke of the colors, her word choice, her tone, it was so precise. Her words struck Ellie with curiosity and joy, someone who shared a sense of observation and the love of Fall. Her heart fluttered as she was blessed with some additional insight. She could listen to that voice all night, her heart bounded with each spoken syllable, a thin layer of red forming over her cheeks, she never would have thought someone of high stature would have meat to back their name.

Bringing up her clothes and options, the way it rolled off her tongue. Someone so profound, with the looks and wealth to back it all up. She wondered what she was still doing in town, why keep her life and world so small when she could lead lectures, people would follow a figure like the one before her. A house made of her voice, the ideals and brains furnishing the inside. She was so caught up in her euphoria and curiosity of the girl she had not noticed she was staring at her, her eyes sparkling and probably blinding this girl. "I uh.. I agree." Was all she could get out before the girl had sat and repositioned herself, the meat of her calf brushing against Ellie's hand. It was sudden, yet she somehow felt embarrassed. She pulled her hand away to give the gril room.

"I'm sorry, I did not mean to cover the whole table. And I wasn't trying to stare, just your voice and words really intrigued me. I never heard anyone talk like that, most people my age leave town for better odds. To find someone with such insight and choices is new to me. The weather and media play a factor as well, they have portrayed this time of year as a changing tide. Life blooms from the death, as romance blooms from change. With the chance to connect and plan dates in and outside, seeing routines shift with the weather, it warms the hearts of people! I completely believe you're onto something and can even help prove so! Would you mind me quoting you in my article!" Her voice sprang and bounded as she poured out her opinions and feelings, she showed passion. She stopped, she rambled again, shoved her manners aside.

She stood, her cheeks a darker red as she began to apologize, she didn't like being rude or weirding people out. She spoke softly as she had before, though there was a hint of apology beneath her words. "I am so sorry, my name is Ellie Prismith, I didn't mean to be off putting, I tend to get carried away."

The way this girl spoke was gentle and genuine, but with a sense of urgency to extend her emotion and meaning. Ambrosia felt her golden eyes flicker, shimmering with intrigue as the human managed to meet Ambrosia's own nuanced musing, but occasionally interjecting a polite apology when her passion overwhelmed her. The vampire heiress had not even realized the amused smile that crept onto her face until Ellie introduced herself. Ambrosia gave into the smile and quickly, gently, took the Ellie's hand in her own, as if to kiss it, but she refrained. It was enough to feel the soft warm touch and shiver at the sensation of her blood flowing beneath the flesh. Her appetite was aflutter, but the craving ran deeper than hunger. She was struck with an idea.

"Ellie. My name is Ambrosia. You have intrigued me. I don't think your article would benefit any from including my name, but I can offer you something else. If life blooms from death as romance blooms from change, perhaps I can give you the opportunity for some... field research." Ambrosia squeezed her hand once and then let go as she stood from the desk. "Are you open to a little change of scenery?"

Ellie watched, her emerald orbs captured by the silk woven from the girl before hee. Her words were so precise and delicate, but held their own. This was a woman who wasn't afraid to speak her mind or assert hersslf, a rare trait in many. And bold it would seem.

The heat that flowed into Ellie's cheeks upon the forward advance of Ambrosia was an odd comfort, she didn't think of such things, afraid her own personal interests were outside this town. Though, feeling the softness of Ambrosia's hand reminded Ellie of fresh cotton sheets or soft clumps of cotton candy. Yet they were cold, reminiscent of early winter. Given the physique of the sculpture before her, she assumed she had some trouble keeping warm. Under that small lyric, near poem, sat the hinting of...a date? The idea was enchanting, being around the girl was enough for Ellie but to know the name matched her complexities and to know her wit layered to it.

She stood, smiling nonetheless. She curled her hand around Ambrosia's as she thought over her words.

"You strike and pull me along, Ambrosia. A change of scenery to match the change in wind and color, to cradle the idea of a new opportunity are too hard to resist. More so if it means talking and swooning over those lovely suns you call eyes." A slight smirk tugged at her cheeks, not smug, but hopefully her flirtation matched Ambrosia. Ellie wasn't as forward in this area, but she could at least attempt to follow through.

(I am not trying to bug and we dont have to continue. I just had a quick question. Would you be alright if I used your character and this as a material to write out a story? I ask because I like the overall idea and the characters we have, and given that, I dont want to use a character that isnt mine without permission. Credit will be given where credit is due as well. You did form a great portion of the world and setting, and it would be wrong to not mention you.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back