Prospects for a software based RP Designer

Kayvan

The Abyss Watcher
<p>

Considering the limitations that the forum based RPs pose, what do you think a RP designer software would look like? I'm asking since I'm considering my possibilities if I were to start designing one. So far my ideas include: -RP design software package which includes tools like: World designer, Character designer, Location builder, System designers (Like dice, battle systems, location and time trackers which would limit the character interaction within a space-time framework etc...), NPC personality designer, event designer (Important historical events like great battles, ambushes, etc...) etc... -RP mate which would allow 2 or more players play a RP project made with the designer over the internet. Each project would have a standard interaction mode like -Free: RPlayers are unbound by any limitations and they create their own stories and destinies as they go. -Space-Time Bound: RPlayers are unable to interact with each other out side a coherent space-time frame. It means that if character A is in another location and another time, Players B's interactions with player A would be highly limited. Any ideas or suggestions?

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of see the potential, but you have to explain it to me. Who exactly would this RP designer be trying to help? What kind of people in what situations are you trying to sell this to and why?

The way you have these things bundled together and including an RPMate mode, seems like you want this to be a new tool to RP with. Something you want to catch on. Am I right when I say that?

Hey there!

The RP designer is suppose to help You, the game master, to design your own world. You define your races, locations, NPCs and their personality, Lore, history, events etc. It would help you visually customize everything and increase your productivity. The RPmate will then help you play that project with other players.

If I do make something like this it's unlikely that I attempt to sell it.

I see. Okay. I had a feeling something was not matching quite right.

If you want to get the most potential out of your software, make it along the lines of an educational tool to teach people about RPing. Especially of this is something you're not going to sell.

The problem here is I can go to Google and find links to other places that will help me define races, lore, history, events, and etc. While your software gives me limited options to pull from, Google will give me many, many, more. If I want to play my project with others, I can just come on here or any other RP site and share it. Visually customizing information is not really extremely important (at least to me), and increasing productivity isn't quite what people are looking for in RP. When it comes to RP, the name of the game is quality; not how fast you can get it done. I'd rather spend 1 week making a personal, unique NPC, than 1 day creating 10 from templates of tropes or pre-created boxes.

Your software would be better as a learning tool to help RP newbies or people interested in RPing, but don't know where to begin. Your software would be their "dip in the water". They wouldn't care about the more complicated or finer things, they'd just be happy to get started and complete one while learning the general rules. RPmate would be a great practice mode for them.

Experienced RPers (GMs) on the other hand, would require something a little different. They already have all the ideas. And you know what? This is really, really, hard to explain, so I'm just going to use an example.

There is something on this site called BBCode. It is code you use to make things like pretty and orderly.

• A useful tool for a new BBcoder would be something that gives them a list of the most-used BBcodes right at their fingertips. It would tell them the best situations to use certain BBcode and tips on how to use them correctly.

^ This would be of no use to an experienced BBcoder. They already mastered all that and know the principles. A useful tool to an experienced BBcoder, would be one that helps them make and use BBcode in new ways. I've spoken with very good BBcoders before, and quite a few of them throw random codes together in the wrong way, just to see what happens. When you're experienced in something, you don't really need "help". You need fresh perspective. You need tools that help you make things your own; to move past the common rules and techniques everyone already knows about. To understand how doing the "wrong" things only come out wrong, because you don't know how to do it right.

(BP) I hope you understood. Basically, you have two ways your software can go. To the newbies and to the experienced. Depending on which direction you want to take, your software will have to do 2 different things.

I see what you mean but what I'm really talking about here is not just a simple "Definer" rather it's a RP Engine. It is not built to make things look pretty, it is meant to "Run" as an independent RP platform.

The best way to describe it is this very site. This site could be called a RP platform. It provides you with a set of tools and a medium to RP.

Kayvan said:
I see what you mean but what I'm really talking about here is not just a simple "Definer" rather it's a RP Engine. It is not built to make things look pretty, it is meant to "Run" as an independent RP platform.
The best way to describe it is this very site. This site could be called a RP platform. It provides you with a set of tools and a medium to RP.
Gotcha. Then I'm still confused on what exactly you want to do. You want to make something that replaces an RP site then? Like, instead of coming on this site, I would instead log into your software and RP there?

Kayvan said:
Well I'm not sure if you quite hit the bulls eye but yeah!
Okay, it's making sense. Then what you stated at the beginning is really all you'd need. What sites like this will probably have over your software though, is a robust social aspect. This is where an online forum has advantages over software. This interface here makes it naturally easy to communicate. In a way, this place is not only an RP site, but has a big social aspect to it too. There's even a section for "General Discussion".

If your software can't implement something like that, it will be stuck with only hardcore RPers. You'll narrow the amount and type of users you can get. So a big thing you'll want to work on if you're serious about it, is the communication portion of your software.

Like FantasyGrounds, Infrno, Tabletop Simulator, and similar products?

Pretty niche. I'm sure someone would end up using it, though.

For someone like me i would love that... already the worlds i have in my head the idea is great and reminds me of the rps in starcraft which im hoping youve played

Youd design your world populate it the players would have there characters and would from there be able to interact with the world like a video game, the players would be able to rp and npcs would add life to the world. Itd be like rping in an rpg just much easier and more comprehensively.

Would love to see this program come to fruition

Everyone else. Think of a video game. Now pretend you control every aspect of it, take a town in skyrim, solitude, you control npc personalities placement names weapons buildings everything about the town. You do with it as you wish, the RolePlayer enters the town, to the RolePlayer its as if there in a town in a video game RPG to you you can directly control indivisuals and environment to the player it seems as if its happening naturally.

I get what hes thinking and fully want the power and fun it can bring

ZerRu575 said:
Everyone else. Think of a video game. Now pretend you control every aspect of it, take a town in skyrim, solitude, you control npc personalities placement names weapons buildings everything about the town. You do with it as you wish, the RolePlayer enters the town, to the RolePlayer its as if there in a town in a video game RPG to you you can directly control indivisuals and environment to the player it seems as if its happening naturally.
I get what hes thinking and fully want the power and fun it can bring
Thank you very much for this. It's making more sense what Kay is trying to do. I still don't fully understand it, but at least it's clearer to imagine. Thank you Zeru.

Thanks ZeRu575 for "Demystifying" the idea!!!

In any other RP platform like this site, the RP world is happening in the RPlayer's brain only. However that is fine because the focus is mainly on the narrative so you go with it. With this software however, the idea is to achieve those fun narratives which makes RPing so fun while at the same time giving you the tools to "Animate" the world, give "Personality" to NPCs and (if the GM needed) import some RPG elements like battle systems, character stats, quests etc.

I imagine there could be three modes:

-Free mode: which is similar to the "Free" narrative that is the classic way to RP.

-Space-Time mode: which I gave the explanation earlier. Additionally this mode helps you in fact have a much more animated world since it let's you go from one location to another, allowing interaction with all players, NPCs, places etc in that location.

-RPG exclusive: which let's you import RPG elements.

I'll come up with an example narrative when I can.

Kayvan said:
Thanks ZeRu575 for "Demystifying" the idea!!!
In any other RP platform like this site, the RP world is happening in the RPlayer's brain only. However that is fine because the focus is mainly on the narrative so you go with it. With this software however, the idea is to achieve those fun narratives which makes RPing so fun while at the same time giving you the tools to "Animate" the world, give "Personality" to NPCs and (if the GM needed) import some RPG elements like battle systems, character stats, quests etc.

I imagine there could be three modes:

-Free mode: which is similar to the "Free" narrative that is the classic way to RP.

-Space-Time mode: which I gave the explanation earlier. Additionally this mode helps you in fact have a much more animated world since it let's you go from one location to another, allowing interaction with all players, NPCs, places etc in that location.

-RPG exclusive: which let's you import RPG elements.

I'll come up with an example narrative when I can.
OOOOOOKAY (:B)

No need to explain further, at least for me. I get it. That would seem like fun. If it's something you want to do, go for it. The list of things to include you gave at the top is good. Can't think of anything else to add; I don't have much experience related to what you're trying to create. If in the future you want to make it a larger project and need advice on what to add then, come back to me!

I expect a copy of this when you're done though. For free. (>u>)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back