• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Project Orouboros OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

shadowz1995

Amoeba of Wisdom
Roleplay Type(s)
This is the place for OOC conversation. I have discord and can make a server if desired but otherwise, you can frolick here freely. Just follow RPN rules and my rules for the rp as well.

The setting for this RP will take place in our "world" hundreds of years in the future. You will be playing as soldiers in the war against the Not-Flood-Aliens, a few hours after they made first contact with Earth. You will not be fighting alone at any point as this is a fight for survival. While you can make squads or teams of players, I will be adding Named NPCs that I will control to your teams to bulk up the numbers and assure that everyone has someone to interact with.

This is a roleplay about WAR and SURVIVAL. No matter the fantastical nature of the setting, these are dark and brutal subjects to touch on. We will observe all of the rules for RPN but it also means that if you have a problem with darker themes or have trauma/triggers revolving around these kinds of conflicts, it would be in your best interest to skip over this one. I won't be offended lol. I'm not here to bother anyone.

As previously mentioned, this won't be a light-hearted RP. Death is real. It can happen to anyone, at any moment and your characters are no exception. Do not join this rp with the expectation that everyone is going to make it to the end. They won't. Your character's actions/inactions will have consequences and character death will be an expected result here. I will do my best to make sure everyone has a fun experience but I have to be fair. If someone dies because they did something dumb and didn't think it through, that will apply to everyone.

There will also be situations that I will toss at your characters and it may just boil down to chance. Like a DnD dice roll, if you've ever played that. I try to avoid these random chance events but they could happen.

What I'm trying to say is, if you step into this RP, do so knowing that there is a good chance your character can die. You can make a new one after and I'll help you all the way as I did before. But if I decide your character would not have survived the event they just went through, it will be final. I've thought about it for a long time, deliberated, and reached a conclusion. If that doesn't sound fair, this is not the RP for you. I find things to be fun when there is risk involved. If you don't, that's okay. But don't join the roleplay expecting different. You will only set yourself up to get pissed off. I ain't trying to do that.

I'm a big believer in two things. Creative freedom and reason. This is a sci-fi RP that is bound to the laws of physics of our world. We love pseudo-science around here. What I mean by this is that I want you to make cool characters unique to you. The only thing you need to do is make it make sense.

I will provide some existing background lore, characters, alien races, abilities, and technologies. YOU can make up your own as long as it doesn't conflict with the established canon. You wanna make your own alien race? Go for it. Crazy weapons? I'm all for it. But you need to provide the details for all of your creativity. I also expect players to be reasonable and balance your character properly. If you wanna shoot a gun that can shoot the concentrated power of the sun, fine. But you're going to have to convince me on how something like that could even exist, how it works, how the hell did YOUR character get a hold of such power, etc. Have fun but don't be ridiculous.

I'm open to any brainstorming you wanna do and I will help you get as close to your ideal as the lore allows. I can't promise we will get exactly what you want. But I can promise we should be able to get close or at least find a suitable alternative.

1. All RPN rules will be followed to the letter.

2. Posting activity is loose but a once a week minimum is preferred. This can change depending on overall activity of the players but I lead a busy life. I understand that shit happens but just like I wouldn't fault you if I suddenly went afk for 3 weeks and you dropped the RP, you cannot fault me for moving on without you if you go MIA without talking to me at all.

3. In-character posts will follow a quality over quantity rule. I don't expect you to write novels every post, but what you do write should be crystal clear. This means that anyone, not just me, should be able to tell exactly the who, what, when, where and why of any actions your character takes.

4. Zero tolerance policy for meta gaming or any kind of power gaming. Meta gaming is using out-of-character information to affect In-character choices. Power gaming is making actions with your character as if they were guaranteed to happen. You can never know how anything will play out. You can attempt to do things and I will decide what effect those actions had, if any.

5. Zero tolerance policy for "Character Bleeding". This means I will not tolerate anyone letting in-character actions affect how they feel or interact with another player out-of-character and vice versa. If I see this happen, you are out.

6. There is a level of maturity required for this roleplay. I expect all of my players to be emotionally and mentally mature enough to handle their own issues. Everyone is to maintain mutual respect with one another. Even if you don't like someone, you will show them respect at all times. I don't like to and have never enjoyed playing mediator. Handle your personal disputes maturely and with grace.

7. My word is final. I rarely ever have to exercise that right for anything and I'm very easy to reason with. However, should something ever pop up, I will be the one to make any final decisions. Those decisions are non-negotiable.

Last edited:
WIP is up, but I had some questions when it comes to weaponry. Mostly if humans are still using standard ammunition or if they've evolved to use mostly energy weapons/plasma rounds.

WIP is up, but I had some questions when it comes to weaponry. Mostly if humans are still using standard ammunition or if they've evolved to use mostly energy weapons/plasma rounds.
We are way in the future so I'm pretty much good with whatever as long as you can justify it lol. Conventional bullets will work fine on the Class Ds but anything above that will take a lot. If you want to go with ballistics, I would make up an imaginary caliber made of fancy metals of some sort that has good piercing capability and stopping power.

Otherwise, energy, plasma, all that stuff is fair game. You just gotta explain how it works.

Edit: You don't have to go into the literal science of it (though I will personally appreciate it). As long as you can explain it to make enough sense that you wouldn't really raise an eyebrow at the idea. A bad example would be, "Issa gun that can shoot missiles that blow up stuff."

Cuz then it's like.... okay.... how...

K, rifle information has been added. I'm not great at pseudo science, so I hope it makes sense? I wanted opinions
Nah that's pretty good so far, Fire. Nothing to complain about.

That said what opinions were you looking for

Noooo worries lol. Thinking of giving any cybernetics or psionics?
Cybernetics maybe I need to iron out her bio first tho to see if any would make a whole lot of sense, but I was definitely toying with the idea of psionics. I think of Mass Effect biotics tho, so I was gonna ask what exactly you had in mind for those kinds of powers

Cybernetics maybe I need to iron out her bio first tho to see if any would make a whole lot of sense, but I was definitely toying with the idea of psionics. I think of Mass Effect biotics tho, so I was gonna ask what exactly you had in mind for those kinds of powers
Biotics or adepts from ME are pretty much the concept but I don't limit it to that. Psionics is the word but if I were to narrow it all down to one word, it would be the suffix -kinesis.

It's not magic but like magic adjacent. Sci-fi magic. You won't be controlling physical shadows because that's not physically possible. You can definitely fuck around with light though and cause "dark outs" or perhaps use shadows as camouflage when you step into them.

Edit: I think I said it in the settings tab but the world is still grounded in the realm of irl physics. So if it's not physically possible here, it's not physically possible there. At least, not without you making up some pretty substantial shit to justify it.

Basically, if it's technically possible or theoretically possible, you should be able to do it here. As technology has advanced considerably in every field

Ooo, dope. I'll probably borrow a few concepts from Mass Effect then
However much you want lol. Just remember that your power scaling should be appropriate for your character. A brand new soldier with freshly discovered psionics isn't gonna be shredding things apart with their mind.

Also, 100% Humans are not strong with Psionics naturally. It can be helped along with equipment and cybernetics but their main strength is clever application. Not raw power.

That changes if you're a hybrid though

However much you want lol. Just remember that your power scaling should be appropriate for your character. A brand new soldier with freshly discovered psionics isn't gonna be shredding things apart with their mind.

Also, 100% Humans are not strong with Psionics naturally. It can be helped along with equipment and cybernetics but their main strength is clever application. Not raw power.

That changes if you're a hybrid though
My plan is sort of the troubled kid who found a calling in the military so she's not gonna be a newbie. At least 5 years, but I'm thinking more honestly. I was gonna go for more of the biotic shield thing to help her in close combat situations and maybe one of the one where you can throw or push something? Figured those would be pretty simple and have some cool applications. In that case she's probably have some sort of implant to help her abilities curiosity of the military. Cause I sort of imagined the powers drew from magnetic fields or something along that line

They're already fighting the scourge right?

My plan is sort of the troubled kid who found a calling in the military so she's not gonna be a newbie. At least 5 years, but I'm thinking more honestly. I was gonna go for more of the biotic shield thing to help her in close combat situations and maybe one of the one where you can throw or push something? Figured those would be pretty simple and have some cool applications. In that case she's probably have some sort of implant to help her abilities curiosity of the military. Cause I sort of imagined the powers drew from magnetic fields or something along that line

They're already fighting the scourge right?
So basically general application of psionics? Kinda like telekinesis but with color. That said, she's a marksman right? Throwing up barriers or shields would generally be helpful if you were close to your teammates. Unless they're personal barriers. Then sure sounds good lol.

Yeah, military would definitely set her up with at least decent implants for her powers.

No, psionics is quite literally manipulation of energy. Sure it could be magnetic but it could also be kinetic, static, heat, and so on. Kinetic probably has the most applications though and if you're going off Mass Effect as a base, I think everything surrounding biotics is purely based around manipulating kinetic energy and/or mass.

An ex. would be the.... Lift ability in Mass Effect. I think thats what its called. You'd think it was just telekinesis but its actually reducing the mass of the enemies around them till they get to a certain height and then increasing it tremendously in an instant. Result? They hit the ground really, really damn hard.

or Charge? For the vanguard? Increase the shit out of your mass the moment you push forward and basically turn yourself into a missile. I believe that was how it worked if my memory serves me right.

Correct. The rp will basically kick off on first few days of invasion. On Earth

Dope, all of that was super helpful. I was thinking more along the lines of personal barriers, but throwing them up for her teammates could be a cool development later on? But now that i know it's energy in general I had a fun idea of something sonic related. Not the hedgehog. Anyway, whistling and bird calls are used to communicate, so giving her the ability to amplify the volume/range of sound waves to communicate over a larger area could be useful for situations where other communications are inoperable or unadvised. And if theres growth to that ability, my idea was her being able to use sound as a "solid" object to hit people with?

Dope, all of that was super helpful. I was thinking more along the lines of personal barriers, but throwing them up for her teammates could be a cool development later on? But now that i know it's energy in general I had a fun idea of something sonic related. Not the hedgehog. Anyway, whistling and bird calls are used to communicate, so giving her the ability to amplify the volume/range of sound waves to communicate over a larger area could be useful for situations where other communications are inoperable or unadvised. And if theres growth to that ability, my idea was her being able to use sound as a "solid" object to hit people with?
Hm... Don't see a reason why not. I didn't consider sound waves as a weapon. Which is dumb cuz why not? We have those literally right now lol.

Yeah sounds good. I'm not sure how often she'll get to use it considering comms and neural links are a thing but I can probably make a few scenarios up where she can put that ability to good use.

Also, yeah it's an unsaid point of mine to make sure everyone gets funner toys as the story goes on.

Edit: Didn't answer this but personal barriers are obviously much smaller but much stronger too. If she's shoulder to shoulder with someone, she could cover them as well. But it would probably be limited to one or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back